Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:59 pm 

requiem99 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Word is that OSheaman became really balls deep in the trance/club scene. I guess he took a heavy dose of X along with some bad acid, went on a trip and never really came back.

I donno about Boris but this is accurate. :metal:

Remember when you had a bitch fit and deleted all your reviews?

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:59 pm 

Didn't Boris lose it one day and make some dramatic post about how he was leaving forever, and how much he hated the persona he had created for himself online? I remember having a few good chats with him back in the old Metal-Rules days, but nowadays, who cares?

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:26 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
Didn't Boris lose it one day and make some dramatic post about how he was leaving forever, and how much he hated the persona he had created for himself online? I remember having a few good chats with him back in the old Metal-Rules days, but nowadays, who cares?

Yeah, and his boyfriend Speedy followed him. Speedy's actually been run off (or more appropriately, run himself off) more than one forum. Just bailed on RYM because everyone knew he was an idiot. What do you expect from a bisexual drug addict.

EDIT: Knowing Speedy, I have no doubt he's watching this thread right now.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:06 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
requiem99 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Word is that OSheaman became really balls deep in the trance/club scene. I guess he took a heavy dose of X along with some bad acid, went on a trip and never really came back.

:lol: :beer: :thumbsup:

OH NO METALCRYPT ARE MAKING MONEY!!!!1!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:34 pm 

caspian wrote:
SharpAndSlender wrote:
requiem99 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

:lol: :beer: :thumbsup:

OH NO METALCRYPT ARE MAKING MONEY!!!!1!

Are they? Seems like no metal webzine I've ever seen has been able to turn any sort of profit.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm 

No, he was being sarcastic. The issue was that Metal Crypt started putting up banner ads in order to recoup some losses, and apparently requiem decided he was going to get all self-righteous about it because of some "contract" they had. He took his reviews down from MA as a part of that. I highly doubt MC made an actual profit from the ads, but then again, who knows?

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:02 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
No, he was being sarcastic. The issue was that Metal Crypt started putting up banner ads in order to recoup some losses, and apparently requiem decided he was going to get all self-righteous about it because of some "contract" they had. He took his reviews down from MA as a part of that. I highly doubt MC made an actual profit from the ads, but then again, who knows?

I thought it was because one of his reviews got rejected and he was under the impression that he was above the rules because he was a Big Name Metal Writer who didn't have to actually talk about the music. The contract thing is just fucking retarded- did he really think his reviews on MA were going to draw attention away from MC? Like anyone was going to start going to MC for Requiem reviews anyway.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:45 pm 

I've been a member since 2006 (as you can see), and possibly have been lurking around here since the end of 2005. So I too, barely missed the UltraBoris train. I remember that even then, he had a lot more reviews up than he has now, and many of them didn't describe anything other than that this album rocked or that this album sucked. I've never been a huge fan of his humor either, I find it a bit overexadurated. But maybe I just have a bad sence of humor then :lol: As for musical tastes, we're basically day and night. He hates nearly everything I like and vice versa. Not totally so, as most of the obvious releases like St. Anger, We've come for you all, etc are indeed pieces of bullcrap. Not that this is the reason I'm not a fan of his reviews though :D

A bit off topic here, but what happened to Christkiller as well? Possibly the harshest moderator I've ever witnessed on a board, but that can be both good or bad.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:07 pm 

Svarthavid wrote:
A bit off topic here, but what happened to Christkiller as well? Possibly the harshest moderator I've ever witnessed on a board, but that can be both good or bad.

He sabotaged pages, and was thus given a dishonorable discharge.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:16 pm 

wouldn't surprise me if he's back under a different name anyway. He had the most ridiculous amount of points and (I'm assuming) spent pretty much all his waking time here so I doubt he'd know what to do with himself outside of MA.

CK was an idiot anyway. "black metal elite" :lol:

Quote:
and apparently requiem decided he was going to get all self-righteous about it because of some "contract" they had.

Contract? Really? When I wrote for MC it was basically a "don't leak promos, here's the format we want it in" and that was it. Trust requiem to take something far too seriously, though.

Finally, UB still sucks!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm 

Sabotaged bands? Ironic, because he was nearly "whoring" the point whores thread with reports concerning this theme, if I'm not wrong.
Wonder why he got the posision of moderator with that shitty attitude of his, he was always extremely rude and said that anyone that whent against him were winers, gays, jews and whatnot, whilest he was a bit of a winer himself in my opinion.

And yes, totally agree with you caspian, UB sucks! :beer:

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:29 pm 

I missed the age of UB but, like others have said, his reviews where pretty much all over classics of the genre, especially traditional/thrash/power/speed metal, so when I was first getting into metal, mostly using this site's resources, he was pretty much the one reviewer you could see on every band's page (at least every band that a newb would be looking up). His reviews where definitely not that great if we are comparing them to the standards laid out by the site itself, but speaking from just a nostalgic point of view I can understand why a lot of people speak of him with a certain glint in their eyes.

usernamepassword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:54 am 

Svarthavid wrote:
As for musical tastes, we're basically day and night. He hates nearly everything I like and vice versa. Not totally so, as most of the obvious releases like St. Anger, We've come for you all, etc are indeed pieces of bullcrap. Not that this is the reason I'm not a fan of his reviews though :D

UltraBoris hates some of the stuff I like but that doesnt really matter because I like everything he likes! That's the great thing about him, he knows great music...I can always count on bands/albums being good if UltraBoris says so :)

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:18 am 

usernamepassword wrote:
Svarthavid wrote:
As for musical tastes, we're basically day and night. He hates nearly everything I like and vice versa. Not totally so, as most of the obvious releases like St. Anger, We've come for you all, etc are indeed pieces of bullcrap. Not that this is the reason I'm not a fan of his reviews though :D

UltraBoris hates some of the stuff I like but that doesnt really matter because I like everything he likes! That's the great thing about him, he knows great music...I can always count on bands/albums being good if UltraBoris says so :)

You sorta got a point there, Usernamepassword. He likes a whole lot of quality metal, but there are also a major quantity of music he listens to that I find average at best. I currently have no examples of this, since it's been a long time since I've read any of his reviews. But for sure, he has a good taste, it's just that he has tons of reviews up, so his true gems are a bit hard to find. Or that's what it was like the last times I read his work :P

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 pm 

Boris was funny, and he knew his stuff. He didn't expand much outside of thrash or old school traditional. And yeah a few of his reviews are retarded. I don't care if an album sucks, or if its good. I wanna know why its good, or sucks. If he never wrote that Master of Puppets review though, I guarantee you that he would be just another reviewer, and we wouldn't be discussing him now.
I came here long after he left. So I don't miss him. I don't understand why he's revered here as a demigod. To me he's just a reviewer who quit reviewing, and died a long time ago. I will say to him cheers for Priest in the East though.
As for O'Sheaman, or Christkiller. Never heard of them before this thread. Don't care.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:00 am 

From all of the guys back in the day, I actually thought Pyrus was the coolest dude around.

Despite sharing some similarities with Boris as far as musical tastes went, I never really did like him as a person very much. I remember clashing with him a number of times, but I was also fairly young at the time. I used to post under an entirely different name, but then left for a couple of years and then came back under this moniker.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:44 pm 

What about Thamuz? Although his reviews are usually spot-on, there's something about them I find pretty annoying. Hard to explain.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 pm 

If I remember correctly Thamuz was one of those ANUS elitists and I sometimes found him obnoxious with how he held his nose so high and looked down on others (unless I am thinking of someone else).

Anyways I don't really pay attention to reviews anymore since I can find almost anything on youtube or download something to see if I like it or not.

Bukkake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:52 am 

UltraBoris is way overrated. Never found any of his reviews to be interesting, amusing, insightful, or very informative. And if you think he's a great writer, I suggest you read some books. Not only were his reviews not good, they were actually bad. Granted, none of mine from 2003 - 2005 were very good, either, but no one's pretending I'm a legend.

Last edited by Bukkake on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:20 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
If I remember correctly Thamuz was one of those ANUS elitists

He was, though not as dedicated as some others.

ToDreamOfUr
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:14 am 

I thought UltraBoris' review of St. Anger would qualify for worst review of all time.

ToDreamOfUr
The Boy King of All Village Idiots

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 am 

Can anyone tell me what that Christkiller dude did for him to be called "harshest mod ever"?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 pm 

ToDreamOfUr wrote:
Can anyone tell me what that Christkiller dude did for him to be called "harshest mod ever"?

Nothing. Because he was nowhere near the harshest.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:15 pm 

Napero wrote:
ToDreamOfUr wrote:

Nothing. Because he was nowhere near the harshest.

Maybe not the harshest one I remember from those days, but he was pretty excitable and brash, and I can see how someone could develop the misconception that he was the harshest given some of the stuff he posted.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:19 am 

Harsh in what way? I can't think of any quality that isn't eclipsed by someone else. As far as band submissions I always considered Witcher the toughest, but he was always pretty fair and well reasoned in his rejections so it was cool even though he was probably responsible for nearly all my rejections.

Twitter:

Lepernicus wrote:

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:14 am 

Really, in what way? I mean - there's no chance on earth he was dealing with the review queue (the dude couldn't spell to save his life), all his posts that I can barely remember contained completely retarded amounts of smilies... Was it the band queue then?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

mentalendoscopy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:45 pm 

Didn't christkiller once ban someone for submitting a band that he thought sucked, I'm pretty sure it was a relativly unknown black metal band (the guy who submitted the band was actually a band member, I believe), then submit the band himself? I remember the guy who submitted the band was trying to get the band removed.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:59 am 

I don't know about that particular case, but rejecting bands and then submitting them himself was common practice for him.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2