Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:33 pm 

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/hbo-gree ... ones-.html

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
This is going to be so awesome.

PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 pm 

Can't wait. I just hope they've since changed some of the lines of the script, though. Ned's tough-guy attitude toward Jaime is pretty much the opposite of how I'd expect him to act and I won't think of the series in the same light if they don't include more of his speech to Bran than "The one who passes the sentence should swing the sword. Hey look, wolves!".

The brothel scene with Tyrion was hilarious, though.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Scipio333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm 

Great news! I'm actually about to finish reading A Game of Thrones at the moment, riveting stuff, can't wait to pick up a Clash of Kings.

Anyways, can't think of anyone better than HBO to handle such a series, especially after witnessing the brilliance of Rome. Casting looks good too, Sean Bean seems perfect to play Eddard Stark.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm 

Oh boy. Its been nearly 2 years since i read that book, but i am looking forward to this. I hope it is properly done.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 am 

I'm still plodding my way through Wheel of Time so I haven't even gotten around to this, yet.

That's fine by me, though, as I almost never watch TV shows as they air anyway. I'll download the whole thing after it's over and watch it then.

Any reason why it's being called Game of Thrones instead of A Song of Ice and Fire?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

KC_Slaanesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:20 am 

Absolute favorite series of books, I can't wait for this to air. George Martin better find a way to stay alive long enough to finish the series.

New account, be my friend on the internet! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100013520745780

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 am 

It's so cool they've got Sean Bean in it. If they do as good a job on this as they did with Rome I'll be a very happy camper.

iamntbatman wrote:
I'm still plodding my way through Wheel of Time

Why? I can think of A LOT of fantasy that's much much better.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:10 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I'm still plodding my way through Wheel of Time so I haven't even gotten around to this, yet.

Why torture yourself? Waste of Time is what it is. Trust me, I know. :ugh:

Quote:
Any reason why it's being called Game of Thrones instead of A Song of Ice and Fire?

Sounds more marketable, and more "serious historical-sounding drama" rather than "cheesy fantasy", I'm guessing.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am 

Awesome. I'd heard rumors of HBO doing this a while back, and I was rather turned off at first due to past nightmares involving the Sword of Truth adaptation done by ABC or whomever; however, HBO's recent putout of Rome and other series makes me have a lot more faith in this one.

Apparently Mr. Martin himself approves of the script / work, which is a good sign. There's a lot of material in those books I'd hate to see changed or removed, including Ned's personality, and in particular the abuse Sansa puts up with down in King's Landing. Since its HBO, I doubt I have much to worry about, but there's always a chance.

Hands down my favorite book series though. I wish it'd finish sometime soon, but we've had a two year delay on Dance of Dragons already... so, meh.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:28 pm 

Sean Bean as Eddard Stark? Good heavens, this series is going to be godly.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:10 pm 

Yes!!!! Oh my fucking god, I am so excited! This is going to be a great month!

Now I just have to hope that I get accepted to Clarion. That would make this month LEGENDARY.

TooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:24 pm 

This has me creaming my pants in anticipation

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:56 pm 

Seriously can't wait to see this. Just started reading the series (on Part 1 of the 3rd book currently). It is fast becoming my favourite series of books, even if the writing is sometimes really cringeworthy.

Also Tyrion is awesome. Just plain awesome.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Why torture yourself? Waste of Time is what it is. Trust me, I know. :ugh:

Quote:

Sounds more marketable, and more "serious historical-sounding drama" rather than "cheesy fantasy", I'm guessing.

The marketing thing makes sense, I guess.

You've warned me about Wheel of Time before. I took a months-long break from it after finishing the third book but I've gotten back into it again (sparked by a power outage in the blizzard :lol:). It's interesting enough and he does have that knack for making the ends of the books really great. Plus, I already bought them all! I'm obligated to read them now.

Now that I think about it, WoT would be great adapted to a TV show, although it would take forever because you'd need a season for each book. It would work perfectly on those premium cable channels, what with the totally unnecessary nudity, and you'd have badass season finales.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:05 pm 

Finally!!! I heard this as just a rumour ages ago. Can't wait! Martin is totally taking his time with the next book, the anticipation is killing me. I've reread them all a ton of times so they'd be all fresh in my head for the next book which is still not out! At least this'll be something to look forward too :)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
You've warned me about Wheel of Time before. I took a months-long break from it after finishing the third book but I've gotten back into it again (sparked by a power outage in the blizzard :lol:). It's interesting enough and he does have that knack for making the ends of the books really great. Plus, I already bought them all! I'm obligated to read them now.

Now that I think about it, WoT would be great adapted to a TV show, although it would take forever because you'd need a season for each book. It would work perfectly on those premium cable channels, what with the totally unnecessary nudity, and you'd have badass season finales.

Not to derail the thread too much, but out of curiosity what fantasy have you read exactly? It seems to me that people WoT appeals to are the type not really familiar with the best fantasy has to offer.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:05 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

As it turns out, they're turning them into feature films. I think that's a much better idea since, while the books I've read have a few good ideas, they're way, way too long. The movie format would force the story to actually, y'know, do something.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:37 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Not to derail the thread too much, but out of curiosity what fantasy have you read exactly? It seems to me that people WoT appeals to are the type not really familiar with the best fantasy has to offer.

Pulling the ol' Shutdown card, eh? I haven't read that much fantasy, to be honest. I've been a LOTR (and all things Tolkien) fanboy for about sixteen years now but never really read much fantasy apart from that except for Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I'm basically reading Wheel of Time based on a recommendation and, the way the story is set up, I can't just stop reading them without finding out how things turn out in the end. I'm certainly open to suggestions for better books to read (I do have the Martin books laying around as a couple of other high-profile series like the Dragonlance chronicles and The Dragonriders of Pern) but I'm enjoying WoT enough to want to finish it.

I'm not sure how I feel about them getting the movie treatment. I think it would probably suffer the same fate as The Golden Compass: the first movie would be good enough but wouldn't do well enough at the box office to prompt funding for sequels.

But anyway, back on topic-ish, I am planning on reading Martin's books, probably after I finish WoT (at least the books that have been published so far) so hopefully I'll have read them in some sort of reasonable amount of time so that I can appreciate this show once season one is over.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:03 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Pulling the ol' Shutdown card, eh? I haven't read that much fantasy, to be honest. I've been a LOTR (and all things Tolkien) fanboy for about sixteen years now but never really read much fantasy apart from that except for Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I'm basically reading Wheel of Time based on a recommendation and, the way the story is set up, I can't just stop reading them without finding out how things turn out in the end. I'm certainly open to suggestions for better books to read (I do have the Martin books laying around as a couple of other high-profile series like the Dragonlance chronicles and The Dragonriders of Pern) but I'm enjoying WoT enough to want to finish it.

Pulling the Shutdown card? :lol: Well, I guess I am, but if I'm right then I guess it was the right card to play, huh? I could launch into a list of recommendations and reasons why they are superior, but I don't think this thread has any more room for Shutdown cards, so instead I'll point you to a useful website: http://greatsfandf.com While the author is long-winded and a bit of a snob he definitely knows his stuff and I've learned a lot from the site. Whether or not you agree with him is of course your prerogative, but he rates Tolkien at 5 out of 5 stars, so at the very least you have that in common.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:12 pm 

I've seen that site before, but since his web design snobbery isn't on par with his literature snobbery I never spend more than a few minutes looking at it. I'll likely pick up a few authors and keep a lookout for their stuff during my usual thrift store book shopping excursions. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:43 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I've seen that site before, but since his web design snobbery isn't on par with his literature snobbery I never spend more than a few minutes looking at it. I'll likely pick up a few authors and keep a lookout for their stuff during my usual thrift store book shopping excursions. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

It wouldn't be as horrible if, y'know, the webmaster picked some complementary colours. Instead of the ones he has. Which clash.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:01 am 

I clicked that link just to see what the fuss was and OH DEAR GODS MY EYES!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:12 am 

Eh, text is text. The content is definitely good, at least. If you want to let an ugly website get in the way of that, it's your loss.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm 

For those who don't follow the coverage as religiously as I do, here are some updates: season 1 filming is complete, and the show will premiere on April 17th 2011. And here's a new teaser trailer by HBO:

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?au ... &view=null
The above lags horribly for me, if that's the case for you too there's the Youtube version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ5p18wIQEI

:hyper: :hyper:

Looks a bit like a horror movie trailer for some reason, but still pretty badass. Winter is coming... this spring!

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 am 

Nice, that trailer was by far the coolest out of the ones they've released.

Here's a interesting behind the scenes feature for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbBi7dLnT4

That's one of the best previews to the series I've seen so far, I really hope they release something similar ( at least maybe some more footage!) before April.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:34 am 

yeah, that will be awesome!!! it will be awesome as almost anything HBO have done.

The developpment of the characters in the book is what who made an insant fantasy classic. I hope (and it seems) this will be done correctly

By the looks of it, it will not be shit like the adaptation of Sword of Truth by the awful Sam Raimi, what a disaster, i almost cried!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:07 am 

I would happily destroy every trace of this TV show if martin would just finish the next fucken book already. KEEP WRITING MARTIN, IF YOU DIE BEFORE YOU FINISH IT I WILL SHIT ON YOUR GRAVE* :mad: :mad:

*this threat also applies if he kills off Arya and/or Jaime, except that I'll do it to him while he's alive, of course...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:34 am 

I'm really looking forward to the TV series, as I'm great fan of ASOIAF, but this just reminds me fatass neckbeard still hasn't finished fifth book. :mad::fuck::guns:
And worst thing is that real action still hasn't begun, forthcoming book is most likely just a bridge to a new trilogy (or just two books?). Also, he's around 60, if he keeps writing at this pace he won't finish ASOIAF before he's 80 (he doesn't look like he's in that good health).

caspian wrote:
*this threat also applies if he kills off Arya and/or Jaime, except that I'll do it to him while he's alive, of course...

Jaime sucks, I hope he dies. I'd like to see what happens with Arya and her training. I just hope he doesn't sacrifice Jon and Tyrion before series end.

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:44 pm 

nasum wrote:
Jaime sucks, I hope he dies.

*MINOR SPOILERS*

Jaime's one of my favorite characters in the book actually, very much so because he's much more complex than the events in books 1 and 2 make him out to be. By the end of books 3 and 4, you can't help but sympathize with the guy, given all he's been through (not just the whole Brave Companions deal, but also some of the events that occurred during his time serving Aerys).

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:12 pm 

Gravemarker wrote:

*MINOR SPOILERS*

Jaime's one of my favorite characters in the book actually, very much so because he's much more complex than the events in books 1 and 2 make him out to be. By the end of books 3 and 4, you can't help but sympathize with the guy, given all he's been through (not just the whole Brave Companions deal, but also some of the events that occurred during his time serving Aerys).

That's true, but that goes for all POV characters, you simply get to see through their eyes. I presume that every person on this world considers self to be good and has reasons to act on one way or other, so you can sympathize with them if you can understand them which Martin does by giving you insight into their minds. That's also why I like Martin, his characters are really deep.

It's probably his idea of metal. That Black Sabbath and Trouble stuff doesn't have enough gangsta giving the finger.

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 pm 

Martin lost me with the 4th book. The first three were utterly brilliant in my opinion but I really disliked the 4th installment.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 pm 

This thread is about the HBO series, not about your complaints about GRRM. :annoyed:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:30 pm 

The trailer looks fucking awesome. My friend is a huge nut for the book series, but I couldn't get into them. I think I'll have to check out the show though.

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

because so far all the show will be is stuff from Game of Thrones, calling it the full name would be setting themselves for far more than they'd dare dream to fufill at this stage, and even later it'd be sketchy in case somethin goes amiss

a lot safer to go one at a time, name the next season A Clash of Kings if/when they get to it

personally i'm most excited to see Sandor and Gregor, they better be fucking huge. from the trailers Sandor doesn't look too bad, but i need a better view especially with the helmet

Tywin, Ser Ilyn, Bronn and HODOR! are also other characters that are seen a decent amount but never through (their eyes), who i can't wait to see pan out. it's a lot of those MIDDLE characters, that i really love about this book series

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

that and the fact George just DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK! hello throwin-a-child-out-a-window-not-a-hundred-pages-in or hey Ned....you get half the book through your thoughts but....CHOP-WITH YOUR OWN FUCKING SWORD........nuts i tell you! hope the show lives up to it, watching the trailers and shit makes me believe so

& here's to hoping George doesn't pass before finishing the series! the offspring finishing the series thing rarely works out well in my opinion

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 am 

holyrebels wrote:
Martin lost me with the 4th book. The first three were utterly brilliant in my opinion but I really disliked the 4th installment.

Is the fourth book really that bad? Now I've heard that George Martin chose to focus on some lesser known characters on the fourth book, which is kind of strange, but is it seriously that bad? There people that go as far as saying that the fourth book puts into question the quality of the rest of the series. Can't be that bad can it?

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
holyrebels wrote:

Is the fourth book really that bad? Now I've heard that George Martin chose to focus on some lesser known characters on the fourth book, which is kind of strange, but is it seriously that bad? There people that go as far as saying that the fourth book puts into question the quality of the rest of the series. Can't be that bad can it?

THe fourth book IIRC is based around the characters in the southern part of the world, with the characters being POV'd being less interesting/ not fan favourites. It's still a great book though, I think, I thought it fit in super well and I still really enjoyed reading it. Haters gonna hate brah

Quote:
Jaime sucks, I hope he dies. I'd like to see what happens with Arya and her training. I just hope he doesn't sacrifice Jon and Tyrion before series end.

Jaime's awesome. I love the way he's changing throughout the series. I loathed him originally but now I think he's a great character and I'm really keen to see what happens next.

No way Jon will die. Not gonna happen, at all. Tyrion's more likely to go, but yeah, highly unlikely.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:16 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:
holyrebels wrote:

I read the 4th book about a year after finishing the third. It's like a whole new series in that too many characters and POVs revolved around people I didn't know, and in my opinion the author took too much for granted when it comes to what the reader did/did not know about all these new faces. I never finished it, but I do plan to re-read the series again at some point. Maybe it will gel better with me if I read 3 and 4 back to back.

nasum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:34 am 

SuperVeji4 wrote:

Other guys already quoted you, but anyways, 4th book is deliberately bad, Martin wrote, I think, over 1000 pages manuscript which publisher deemed to be too big and requested Martin to split it into into two books. So instead of fourth book called 'A Dance with Dragons' we got 'A Feast for Crows'. Original 'A Dance with Dragons' was supposed to be bridge-book between first and second trilogy, with seven books in total.
Martin said we'll instead get two books with characters in parallel time, i.e. action in second book is happening at same time, so he left out, for example, Jon and Tyrion from 'A Feast for Crows' and said they'll appear in second book and we'll see what they've been doing during previous book. So in 4th book you get to see through lesser known characters and some new. Everybody expected that 'A Dance with Dragons' would be published about a year after 'A Feast for Crows', as Martin supposedly finished most of it already.
Now it's been 5 years since 'A Feast for Crows' was published and nobody has slightest idea when next book could be published, and Martin went Blizzard and says 'It'll be done when it's done'.
So we got deliberately bland 4th book and 5 years (and most likely even more) of waiting. That SLIGHTLY pisses me off.
I just hope that 'A Dance with Dragons' will also bring temporal progress, rather than just telling us what happened to other characters in mean time, I'd be really pissed if 5th book ends at same time at which 4th book ends.

caspian wrote:
No way Jon will die. Not gonna happen, at all. Tyrion's more likely to go, but yeah, highly unlikely.

I'd say only Jon and Daenerys are sure to survive until the end of the last book, Daenerys because she's not even close to get involved into events on Westeros and Jon because of threat from other side of Wall, which will probably become main story, rather than battle for the throne.

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:00 pm 

besides, Jon and Daenerys are pretty much destined to marry for a large amount of reasons.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:20 pm 

RZris wrote:
because so far all the show will be is stuff from Game of Thrones, calling it the full name would be setting themselves for far more than they'd dare dream to fufill at this stage, and even later it'd be sketchy in case somethin goes amiss

a lot safer to go one at a time, name the next season A Clash of Kings if/when they get to it

I don't think that's really it. They're taking it one season at a time, sure, but the studio is showing a lot of confidence in the series. They've already started a bit of pre-production work of the second season. I think "Game of Thrones" is just a better brand name from their perspective. It's true that "A Song of Ice and Fire" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I doubt they'll change the name for future seasons, for the same brand awareness reasons.

Also, please be careful of spoilers. Most people in the thread have probably read the books, but still, it's easy to just put a warning.

nasum wrote:
Other guys already quoted you, but anyways, 4th book is deliberately bad, Martin wrote, I think, over 1000 pages manuscript which publisher deemed to be too big and requested Martin to split it into into two books. So instead of fourth book called 'A Dance with Dragons' we got 'A Feast for Crows'. Original 'A Dance with Dragons' was supposed to be bridge-book between first and second trilogy, with seven books in total.
Martin said we'll instead get two books with characters in parallel time, i.e. action in second book is happening at same time, so he left out, for example, Jon and Tyrion from 'A Feast for Crows' and said they'll appear in second book and we'll see what they've been doing during previous book. So in 4th book you get to see through lesser known characters and some new. Everybody expected that 'A Dance with Dragons' would be published about a year after 'A Feast for Crows', as Martin supposedly finished most of it already.

Not quite accurate. "A Dance with Dragons" wasn't supposed to be any kind of bridge book; there were only six books planned before "A Feast for Crows" was inserted there. (Actually, at the beginning the whole series was planned as a trilogy. :lol:)

The whole story from Wikipedia: "After A Storm of Swords was completed in 2000, Martin began writing A Dance with Dragons, the intended fourth volume which would pick up the story five years after the previous volume. Martin found it difficult to make this work without an over-reliance on flashbacks. At the World Science Fiction Convention in Philadelphia on 1 September 2001, Martin announced that he was scrapping more than a year's work and writing a different fourth book that would fill in the gap, named A Feast for Crows. He found it extremely difficult to go back and start again, especially as this novel was not planned for in his scheme for the series, and work on the book progressed slowly.

By May 2005, A Feast for Crows had become longer than A Storm of Swords (the manuscript for which had been 1521 pages) and Martin's publishers said they could not publish the book in one volume. They suggested splitting the book in two and releasing the volumes as A Feast for Crows, Volume I and A Feast for Crows, Volume II, but Martin was unhappy with this idea. After discussing the matter with his publishers and his friend and fellow writer Daniel Abraham, Martin decided to split the book by character and location instead. The published A Feast for Crows thus contained all of the characters in the South of the Seven Kingdoms, while the forthcoming A Dance with Dragons will contain the characters in the North, the Free Cities and in Slaver's Bay."

Quote:
nobody has slightest idea when next book could be published

Well... there has been some heavy hinting. But I guess I won't post unconfirmed information here and get people's hopes up.

Quote:
I just hope that 'A Dance with Dragons' will also bring temporal progress, rather than just telling us what happened to other characters in mean time, I'd be really pissed if 5th book ends at same time at which 4th book ends.

I think GRRM has said that the fifth book would go a bit beyond the time frame of the previous book, possibly returning briefly to the characters from "A Feast for Crows" near the end to provide some closure to their storylines.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next