Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:44 am 

I probably won't be submitting too many for this actually. I already have a Triptykon review submitted and Darkspace review ready for submission. I have a few under construction and I'll see if I can finish them, but between my new music from x-mas and Modern Warfare 2 time on my new PS3, they may not happen.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:32 am 

In the interest of a peaceful resolution sisters_of_merciless could simply provide us with two seperate rankings: One for number of reviews total, and a seperate one by number of reviewed full-lengths. The leader in the second category will have a special place in the hearts of all challenge-participants.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 am 

Wilytank wrote:
I probably won't be submitting too many for this actually. I already have a Triptykon review submitted and Darkspace review ready for submission.

I'm not sure if you've actually understood the challenge's idea too well...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:35 pm 

First time in ages that I break the three-review barrier for a challenge, and I even got a fourth and fifth one in the works due tomorrow. A nice step up for me.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:03 pm 

Only three reviews down so far, but man this is fun. :D I have a fair few more death and thrash demos to review before I'm obliged to step up to full-lengths. But sadly, this challenge coincides with the final few days I have left to complete my college applications. Today is a day for writing a supplement essay about Alexander Hamilton, not for the review challenge, unfortunately. I'll try to pound a few more out over the week, and everybody else: keep up the great work!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:46 pm 

Several reviews submitted ...

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:42 pm 

Man this reminds me why I never got around to reviewing these albums, fucking mediocrity. There is nothing more boring to review than mediocrity.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:10 pm 

sushiman wrote:
I like the Asphyx DVD review. Makes me want that item quite a lot.

thanks, im trying to write an another asphyx review of the depths of eternity compilation and break my all time review challenge record of 1.
Maybe ill write something else as well as i own a few albums with no reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:19 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Man this reminds me why I never got around to reviewing these albums, fucking mediocrity. There is nothing more boring to review than mediocrity.

Which albums?

I will be submitting stuff...just wait...the reviews will eventually arrive.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:07 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'm guessing based on Perplexed's silence that he isn't going to be participating this time around, or that he'll only be contributing a few to this one, so we are definitely going to need you to pull weight to get our total review count up.

I won't be reviewing at all this time around, so you're going to have to pull 90 additional reviews out of somewhere. I had planned to do a few but my laptop charger has broken and I have very limited access to the internet and no access to my hard drive.

Next time, next time ...

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 pm 

droneriot wrote:
In the interest of a peaceful resolution sisters_of_merciless could simply provide us with two seperate rankings: One for number of reviews total, and a seperate one by number of reviewed full-lengths. The leader in the second category will have a special place in the hearts of all challenge-participants.

I probably would have won two previous challenges if that were the case. :P I tend only to review full-lengths, regardless of the challenge.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
droneriot wrote:

I probably would have won two previous challenges if that were the case. :P I tend only to review full-lengths, regardless of the challenge.

Actually I think sisters modified the previous challenge results to reflect the 5 single review rule, and you did end up winning the challenge before last.

I wouldn't be opposed to drone's idea, although I'd argue that reviewing demos with 6 or 7 songs on them, videos and live concerts are just as challenging as full-lengths.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:09 am 

Empyreal wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Which albums?

I will be submitting stuff...just wait...the reviews will eventually arrive.

Got a few albums sitting around from some russian label who's entire business strategy seems to be "SIGN ALL THE FUNERAL AND MELODIC DEATH/DOOM BANDS RIGHT NOW!" So many generic, standard bands. I've only got like another 6 or so of those to go, so hopefully I'll get through them by the time the contest is over. I write about a paragraph and get so bored I have to switch to something else every 10 minutes.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:35 am 

28th is now clean.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:03 am 

Cool, sushiman and I inadvertently teamed up to tackle a few related, underappreciated Chilean doom bands. Procession and their various side projects need more recognition!

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:09 am 

If I can keep up this 2 per day pattern till the end of the challenge, I'll be pretty happy. However, I don't know if I can as it feels like the quality of my reviews is dropping. I'm running out of things to say.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:00 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Cool, sushiman and I inadvertently teamed up to tackle a few related, underappreciated Chilean doom bands. Procession and their various side projects need more recognition!

Happy to be a part of that man and I completely agree with you! One way to get em more recognition would be a shirt with that badass Capilla Ardiente cover art on it :D

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 am 

my reviews were a bit short yesterday, but there was not much to write on in terms of the music.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:40 pm 

29th is now clean.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 pm 

Lame. I just was told this challenge is on. I may not bother participating, as I've missed half of it already. gargh!

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 pm 

Hey, it's not a contest, just review for fun and for the act of deflowering virgin releases. I still submitted my only review thus far earlier today and am glad I did it. I may not submit many, but it's still a kick in the butt to write a couple and I'm always glad when I manage to write reviews since I barely do it anymore, at least I know it can be useful to some people.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:40 am 

By the way, this page (Challenge History) in the Discordance does show the rankings both with and without the 5-single limit, for all 11 challenges...

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:05 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Lame. I just was told this challenge is on. I may not bother participating, as I've missed half of it already. gargh!

Personally I'd appreciate even more NWOBHM involvement if you can still be bothered at this late hour!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:04 am 

30th is now clean.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 am 

i submitted my 2nd review. If this one gets accepted ill have broken my review challenge record of 1 :P

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:53 pm 

sushiman wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Personally I'd appreciate even more NWOBHM involvement if you can still be bothered at this late hour!

Yeah, it's just a shitty time of year (not that i don't always appreciate the efforts of the motherfuckers that run this bitch), but yeah it's odd - i've had #metal open most days these holidays - but no one mentioned it in there! Usually i keep on top of it - but i haven't been around the forums lately much, and i frigged up. If i can't go in from the start, expecting to write 30 or so - it's just not the same. I might write 10 tomorrow or something. It's my birthday though, so i might have people over.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:53 am 

droneriot wrote:

Unnecessary, I mean I still think it's really lame (if Ozzy cared at all about the singles, why hasn't he reviewed them the previous few years??) But I'm just one dude and me having a whine isn't exactly going to make the world a better place, so carry on as yeah, it really doesn't matter all that much. I'll try to knock out a few reviews myself but I'll be very short on time...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:18 am 

caspian wrote:
(if Ozzy cared at all about the singles, why hasn't he reviewed them the previous few years??)

Because I first heard Thin Lizzy realizing it was them in 2008 (and liked it; all the "Boys Are Back In Town" radio listens don't count), was interested to hear their music in 2010, and have only recently been on a huge binge of their albums starting in September. Realize that I also first got into WASP in 2008, as well. Running Wild, currently my favorite band, I got into in 2008/2009.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:58 am 

I've been having an epic flu this week, but I've managed to squeeze out a few. Maybe a few more on the way, we'll see.

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:44 am 

I should have some more by tomorrow, too. Damn that brocashelm, ha, I went to go submit my review for the Warfare Noise split except he had deceptively sneaked his in only on the Mutilator page. Still got me to write for it though. I'm tired, but if I gave out four individual scores, that would be 1st score + 2nd + 3rd + 4th, then the total divided by 4 for the final score? I got a peak at Muloc7253's review from Noktorn's newest split submission and I'm wondering how Muloc came to that number, instead of what 47, 48%? :scratch:

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:43 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
sushiman wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Yeah, it's just a shitty time of year (not that i don't always appreciate the efforts of the motherfuckers that run this bitch), but yeah it's odd - i've had #metal open most days these holidays - but no one mentioned it in there! Usually i keep on top of it - but i haven't been around the forums lately much, and i frigged up. If i can't go in from the start, expecting to write 30 or so - it's just not the same. I might write 10 tomorrow or something. It's my birthday though, so i might have people over.

Yeah understand what you mean mate. Been a funny old week as well what with me having a week off work and wanting to do non-computer things! And New Year's took out a couple days. Looking at the lists on the database thingy we have nowhere near as many virgins popped open as the last couple times, possibly for similiar reasons... so maybe we'll all be back in full force next time round. And happy birthday by the way!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:02 am 

My last review was the 29th? Man, I have 1 paragraph of another Grave Digger review, but I'm toooooo lazy.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:42 am 

Alright, four reviews submitted today (two for full-lengths, by gum) and I want to go and listen to Blasphemophagher and Impiety, without writing about them, and guzzle beer. This was lots of fun and depending on how stupid my maths is I think I managed to just about squeeze out thirty around various other activities. Until the next one, Jon out!

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:02 pm 

i wrote another review, this makes 3. I almost doubled my amount of reviews in this challenge. I surely must be the moral winner of this edition!

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:22 pm 

Just wrote my first review in over a year - lack of time because of teacher studies is what has been keeping me from writing more lately, not that I don't find it fun anymore. It's for Neaera's latest album, Forging the Eclipse, and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Took me about two hours to write, including editing, which is pretty fast for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:25 pm 

I'm doing all the reviews I had planned for this challenge today. Working on the last one for Domine's Stormbringer Ruler now...

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:22 pm 

I'm starting to run out of steam here. I might be able to squeeze out a couple more before midnight, but right now it looks like I'm close to spent. I got through all of my Tygers Of Pan Tang and Steel Prophet albums, but it looks like I won't get to some of the obscure stuff I've procured over the past 2 months.

My thanks to sisters of merciless for the random band feature, I used it for every single unsigned band and obscure release that I either downloaded or procured a physical copy of for this contest. I literally have enough material now to last for the next 2 challenges even if I break 100 reviews on both of them.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 am 

Just dropping in to say great job on all these reviews for the challenge. Metric tons to read through, and some new bands to check out! Sorry I couldn't contribute much towards the total, it's been a hectic holiday week.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:22 pm 

I'll try to process the rest of the reviews tonight. There's something like 20 left on the 2nd, I just cleaned the 31st and 1st. Might take a few hours, I must build a gate to keep the dog in his area first, though.

EDIT: I approved wakemeup36's Spartacus (Bra)'s Libertae review despite the italics that have no end tag, because with the current tallying system, it would be left out of the score if I rejected it and told him to resubmit it. Dude, edit it.

wakemeup36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:22 pm 

Napero wrote:
Dude, edit it.

Done.

A little question. I submitted my Wardance review on the 2nd. I just edited it a bit. That shouldn't change the submission date right?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next