Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:33 pm 

Waiting for iambatman's appearance in five....four...

Here's my beer reviews at beeradvocate.com:

http://beeradvocate.com/user/beer_revie ... wlingchaos

I'm particularly fond of Belgian-style beers (saisons, quads, and triples) as well as English barleywines, browns, and cream stouts. I prefer my pale ales and IPA's the American way, however; English IPA's and pales are just too damn boring.

Last edited by ~Guest 21181 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 pm 

St. Ambroise is my favourite. But usually if I'm in the mood for good, craft brew I drink Paddock Wood, a local brewery that makes a tasty oatmeal stout. Not as good as St Ambroise, but close.

Unfortunately my liquor stores have shit all for selection. There is one pub here that has a huge selection of beer, but they are quite pricey...

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:19 am 

DrFunkenstein wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
I'm jealous of all you guys that live in NOT America. Do you all realize how hard it is to find a really good beer around here? I live in a collge town. The best i can usually get my hands on (without going to chicago(about 60 miles away from me) is Sam Adams, which I like, don't get my wrong, but sometimes i want something better.
I know Stellas was was mentioned earlier, but the best thing about it is that it's a GREAT food beer: it's still got a decent flavor without completely over-powering the taste of the food.
High calliber around here is shit like Natural Ice, or Keystone Ice (stay away from these!!!) I bought a 30 rack for this halloween, ended up staying in, and now i have about 20 beers in my fridge that I completely detest. I reached for a coors, and i thought "No...no, i have to save this." It's bad when the beer you have to save, is fucking Coors light.

I dunno where you're from but when I was just in the US last summer I found tons of awesome brews. The US is actually pretty good about that. Though they have a reputation of "not getting beer," there are some really good American microbreweries. Better than Canadian microbreweries definitely, because here in Ontario The Beer Store (that's what the store is called) and the LCBO are the only places you can buy alcohol. The Beer Store is owned by Anheuser-Busch and a couple of other big breweries, and they charge stocking fees for any non-shareholder microbrewery which is completely not fair. It's pretty much a monopoly. The LCBO is better because it has more selection, but it usually only sells beer by the single, or maybe a 6-pack if you're lucky. I kinda like it better that way though, because I can get lots of different kinds of beers that I've never had before to try, and then later get more of what I do like. It's expensive as shit though, I miss sitting in my Memphis hotel room and walking across the street to the convenience store to buy beers for dirt cheap.

Like I said in my post, I live in a college town. What do American college kids like to do most? Drink, ALL THE FUCKING TIME . Therefor, they're buying the shittiest beer because it's cheap and because of that, most liquor stores don't carry a lot of the better stuff, at least not in my particular town, I have to drive really far to get anything good. But yeah in general, go anywhere else here, and you get get a damn good beer. Any fellow US'ers been to Kuma's Korner in Chicago? Or heard of it?

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

HuggieBigs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 pm 

Does anyone here homebrew? I'm looking into starting sometime after the holidays and although I've been doing a lot of reading, it would be nice hear some personal experiences and input.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 pm 

I recently tried some of Unibroue's line, namely La Fin Du Monde, Maudite and two others, not sure of the name but they where green apple and blackberry (I think) respectively. Damn that shit is good! Maudite, especially.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:15 pm 

Gonna have to pick up a sixer of something tonight. Thinking Little Creatures if the bottle-o has it, if not James Squire's. Maybe a longie of Cooper's Best Extra as well.

Beer and video games = tops.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:14 am 

Little Creatures Pale Ale it is! Hoppy as fuck, and goes down insanely well. Very much enjoying this with my pizza.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:32 am 

Little Creatures Pale is amazing. Might get myself a sixer now too. Thanks Bezerko!

My collection

Svtekh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:06 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Any fellow US'ers been to Kuma's Korner in Chicago? Or heard of it?

I used to live in Chicago and while I never went there within the metalhead circle I was in it was kind of a Holy Grail of a place to eat. They have burgers named after metal bands (the Iron Maiden, the plaguebringer etc.) as well as some awesome brew. All of the best beer I've tried came from Chicago you just have to find it.
Kuma's Corner wrote:
Death to Miller and Budweiser... they are over-produced and inferior products that prevent passionate craftsmen from sharing their gifts with all of us.

Recently I've been gorging myself on some amazing beer from a little town called Sandpoint, ID. The brewery is called Laughing Dog and the growler of beer i bought is called Dogfather Imperial Stout 11%. Even half a glass makes you feel it. :drool:

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:32 am 

Svtekh wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Any fellow US'ers been to Kuma's Korner in Chicago? Or heard of it?

I used to live in Chicago and while I never went there within the metalhead circle I was in it was kind of a Holy Grail of a place to eat. They have burgers named after metal bands (the Iron Maiden, the plaguebringer etc.) as well as some awesome brew. All of the best beer I've tried came from Chicago you just have to find it.
Kuma's Corner wrote:
Death to Miller and Budweiser... they are over-produced and inferior products that prevent passionate craftsmen from sharing their gifts with all of us.

Recently I've been gorging myself on some amazing beer from a little town called Sandpoint, ID. The brewery is called Laughing Dog and the growler of beer i bought is called Dogfather Imperial Stout 11%. Even half a glass makes you feel it. :drool:

Don't forget the goblincock! I had this one beer from there, it was called the scottish stout i beleive. Shit was so opaque i could SEE through it

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:40 am 

Went and bought a case of Little Creatures Pale Ale. :eek: $68 a throw!

But worth it...:drool:

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:47 am 

Bought a sixer of König Pilsner. From what I understand it's a fairly standard beer in Krautland, but fuck, it went down well. Now on the last of my Little Creatures. Once this goes, it's onto the Coopers Pale Ale!

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:29 am 

Anyone ever had Dieu Du Ciel's Peche Mortel? Great stuff

Svtekh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:06 am 

Just bought a bottle of Gulden Drak I'm pretty excited to taste. Had some strange cider last night that went down well but left me with a terrible headache today. not cool...

Let me know if anyone's tried the Gulden Draak before I'd like to hear some opinions before I crack this bitch.

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:12 am 

Red Stripe and Session Black are my favorite lagers.

I really dig Carlsberg light, and I'd really like to try Carl's Dark.

Recently tried Dead Guy Ale, and I'd really like to try more of the Rogue Ales. Also, recently tried Hoegaarden, and that was nice, too.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:06 pm 

I like Indian River Light, but its probably to light for you guys that like the dark stuff.

kaltregen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:56 pm 

I remember being given a Special Brew at 14 and thought it was vile, I had another and its really grown on me.

A few years back a mate was brewing Dogbolter, and considering myself a bit of a drinker I got stuck in , three later and it was game over :lol:

Mackesons is tasty

Crusty_Grind_Punk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:05 pm 

Victory Ales are awesome. The Golden Monkey is like, the greatest beer ever. And any cheap 40 oz's are shitty (I still can dig 'em though) but good for the money and volume.

planiol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:27 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I recently tried some of Unibroue's line, namely La Fin Du Monde, Maudite and two others, not sure of the name but they where green apple and blackberry (I think) respectively. Damn that shit is good! Maudite, especially.

Fuck yeah! La Maudite is one of my all time favorites. I plan to open one of those tomorrow night, while everyone else is drinking champagne for new years.

AltarsInGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:51 pm 

Budweiser, Coors, Bud light, fuck I don't even know their names cuz I avoid them like the plague!!! They are just beer flavoured piss water! Yuck!

Personally I really enjoy:

Warsteiner: By far my favourite. The dunkel though, not the lighter one.
Heineken: It never lets me down. Majority of bars and restaurants have it so if they have all shit beer otherwise I can have a heiny
Tuborg: Again, go with the dark, the lighter one is shite.
Kronenburg.. mm.. just mmm
Grolsch... Decent, not a number one choice but a lot of times bars will have it and it's better than that piss water stuff!
Stella... Who can forget beautiful Stella
Alexander Keiths.. Probably one of the only Canadian beers I like
Peroni is a great Italian beer, a lot like Stella, but Italian
Asahi, Sapporo, Singha are good if you are feeling a little Asian
Becks. Not too shabby
Dos Equis Lager
Baltika is a great Russian beer.
Czechvar is always an amazing beer. Pilsner Urquel as well.

I'll stop there. Definitely liking this thread and want to try a lot of the beer you guys are talking about that I haven't!!!

Svtekh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:55 pm 

About to crack open Three Philosophers for New Year's with the lady. Bought this in a bar called The Viking Tavern in downtown Spokane, WA. They sell a shitload of different bottled beers from around the globe and have just as many on tap. Highly recomend the place and if you happen to have some extra cash on you and you're floating around the area stop in and buy a bottle or a pint (if you buy a bottle and want to take it with you specify first!).
Happy New Years! :beer:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:28 am 

planiol wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

Yeah, some love for Québec's beers, the one with green apple is L'éphèmère. Try the one Don de dieu, my favorite, it's 9%, great.

if you can find them, try Dieu du ciel beer's, it's a small brewery in Montreal, fuck it's the best beers i've ever had.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

tkdcommando
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:41 am 

Kinda suprised more people haven't mentioned the Anchor products from California. The Steam Beer they have, as well as the Liberty Ale...outta this world brews, man :)

Myself, I tend more towards porters, stouts, and schwartzbier. Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Anchor Porter, Left Hand Milk Stout, Black Chocolate Stout from the Brooklyn Brewing Co., Sam Adam's Black Lager, Shiner's Bohemian Black Lager. Me, my grandfather, uncle, and father are actually brewing our own version of an Irish Red as we speak, so we'll see how that goes :)

But, I also enjoy a good pale ale or hefeweizen. Sierra Nevada is a must, as is Franziskaner Hefeweisse.

So yeah, fuck Coors, Bud, Miller, etc. Lol
I needs me some flavor! Too bad the only local brewery around here in the Rio Grande Valley is near South Padre Island. They make a pretty good pale ale there (Padre Island Pale Ale) and a very good stout (Speckled Trout Stout) that's a little lighter in mouthfeel than most stouts, but still with great flavor and aroma :)

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30 am 

I had a Liberty Ale last night, it's not too bad stuff but kinda middle of the road I guess. Definitely enjoyable, but it didn't particularly stand out to me.

Had another awesome brew last night, Schlenkerla smokebeer. For those who haven't had a smokebeer before, definitely try one. Preferably this one, since there aren't many smokebeers that get it right. It tastes like pepperoni.

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:19 pm 

AltarsInGore wrote:
Heineken: It never lets me down. Majority of bars and restaurants have it so if they have all shit beer otherwise I can have a heiny

It's funny to see how so many non-dutch people actually like Heineken, or even regard it as something special. Out here in Holland, where although it's one of the biggest beer brands, most people I know absolutely hate it. To me, it's just like drinking filtered diarrhea... I much more prefer Grolsch if I had to choose a dutch pilsener. But oh well, I'm more of a craft beer type anyways, especially imperial stouts or strong beers with chocolate or coffee notes.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:12 pm 

Heineken, fuck that shit, Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbxGgCY9PKw

ha ha!
i agree grolsch is better

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:32 pm 

The "new" Tuborg design is horrendous.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:44 pm 

Here in Michigan, US there's a brewery called Bell's. Their most famous beer is called Oberon, and it's delicious. Their Pale Ale is very good too. A few others that I love are Blue Moon, Two-Hearted Ale, and this brew a bud of mine makes called Asskicker. He made an oatmeal brew once that was thick and delicious.

As far as more popular brands here in America, you can never go wrong with Heineken, Sam Adams, or Guiness. Hell, for the price, I'd drink Miller High Life. It's by no means an extravagant beer, but it isn't bad. Also, I love Dos Equis with a slice of lime.

Has anyone actually tried Sam Adam's Infinium? I'm curious.

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:23 pm 

My favorite beer is Guiness. I love a dark, stout beer. I usually have to settle for Sam Adams at a lot of bars though. Which I've gotten a taste as well due to always settling for it.

Yuengling's Black and Tan's not bad. I remember one of the most awesome beers I ever had had pirate skulls on it and had a purple label. I wish I could remember it. I live in Maryland, it's brewed in Baltimore it's probably local. But it was probably the best beer I've ever had.

Hmm, if it's not stout I prefer a lager like Heineken (i'm pretty sure that's a lager right?). If I have to drink shitty big name American beer I go with Budweiser, then Coors, then Busch. Which is usually what I have to choose from because I hang out with a lot of rednecks. lol

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:28 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
Here in Michigan, US there's a brewery called Bell's. Their most famous beer is called Oberon, and it's delicious. Their Pale Ale is very good too. A few others that I love are Blue Moon, Two-Hearted Ale, and this brew a bud of mine makes called Asskicker. He made an oatmeal brew once that was thick and delicious.

As far as more popular brands here in America, you can never go wrong with Heineken, Sam Adams, or Guiness. Hell, for the price, I'd drink Miller High Life. It's by no means an extravagant beer, but it isn't bad. Also, I love Dos Equis with a slice of lime.

Damn dude your 3 popular beers are exactly the same as mine lol. nice

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:37 pm 

LunarTower wrote:
I've been drinking nothing but beers made by a semi-local brewery called Troegs lately. Specifically their Hopback Amber (american red/amber ale), Mad Elf (delicious belgian strong dark ale brewed with honey and cherries), Java Head Stout (coffee/oatmeal stout), Dead Reckoning Porter (american porter) and Troegenator (doppelbock). I'm looking forward to February when they put out their Nugget Nectar (basically an imperial/stronger version of the Hopback).

Troegs is damn good stuff. Nugget Nectar is the east coast Pliny the Elder, really, as the hop profiles are very similar.

If I had to list my favorites...hmm. Victory Brewing makes a beer called Uncle Teddy's Bitter that they don't bottle...you can only get it on cask at Victory itself or sometimes nearby bars. Absolutely fantastic beer, though, and blows every other bitter I've had away (and I do enjoy me a bitter). Creamy and simple but utterly perfect. I also really enjoy Port's Old Viscosity, though that's difficult for me to come by around here. I also managed to get up to Founder's in Michigan on the weekend they released Kentucky Breakfast Stout...that was one hell of an Imperial stout. I also really enjoy Belhaven's Wee Heavy and Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil.

For more affordable stuff, I get a lot of Flying Dog beer. Raging Bitch is damn good and very economical. I also drink a lot of Clipper City/Heavy Seas, a decent bit of Dogfish, Victory, Troegs and Brooklyn as they're all common and inexpensive around here.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:55 pm 

I was wondering when you'd show up. :)

iamntbatman wrote:

For more affordable stuff, I get a lot of Flying Dog beer. Raging Bitch is damn good and very economical. I also drink a lot of Clipper City/Heavy Seas, a decent bit of Dogfish, Victory, Troegs and Brooklyn as they're all common and inexpensive around here.

Man, I really don't get the fuss over Raging Bitch. I'm convinced they didn't even use a Belgian yeast strain in it and just made a messy imperial IPA, I didn't detect one iota of Belgian character in it. Flying Dog always seems to be hit or miss for me.

Recently tried Samichlaus Bier, which was a hell of a lot sweeter, less boozy, and thinner in the mouth than I expected it to be. Quite a feat for a fresh 14% abv doppelbock. I really expected there to be more heat in it, maybe even some nail polish remover flavors/aromas. Pleasantly surprised.

Also had my first wheatwine not too long ago, Bare Tree from the local Two Brothers company. Very enjoyable, more weizen-esque than I expected. I'm not sure if the style is usually like that or more like a fluffier barleywine, I plan on tasting around to find out. Any recommendations?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm 

Well, I wouldn't say that Raging Bitch was more "Belgian" tasting than most Belgian IPA's I've had, that's for sure. For a more Belgian flavored go at the style, Victory's Wild Devil is much more obvious about it. But, Raging Bitch has a lot more heavy malt going on than other IPA's in its general sort of class and there is a bit of spiciness, sweetness and tartness above and beyond what you typically get in a hop assault type IPA. For more serious drinking sessions, I like to alternate a lighter beer (IPA, pils, bitter, etc.) with a darker, maltier beer (stout, porter, Scotch ale, etc.) but I find Raging Bitch to be a happy medium when I just want a couple of middle-of-the-road brews that satisfy multiple facets of my beer thirst.

Plus, it's very affordable stuff around here and the abv is considerable for the price(8.3% and I can get a sixer for $7), so I find myself drinking it a lot when I'm on a budget.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:23 am 

Any other Australians (or others!) trained White Rabbit Dark Ale here? Bought a six pack tonight and I must say it's well worth the money. Nice balance, really good malty sweetness. Top notch brew!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:34 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Plus, it's very affordable stuff around here and the abv is considerable for the price(8.3% and I can get a sixer for $7), so I find myself drinking it a lot when I'm on a budget.

Oh, no arguing there, definitely a booze bargain. Goes for around $8 a sixer here. I always overlook Victory's lineup, I'll keep an eye out for Wild Devil though. I see it's an IPA brewed with brett....that should be interesting. Do you know if the brett fermentation is primary or secondary (bottle-conditioning) fermentation?

On a side note about brett beers, Goose Island has gone absolutely berserk about wild yeasts in their beer. Five new brett beers in the last two years, two of them widely available year-round, to add to their old brett standby Matilda. They are upping production on one of the rarer ones too, Juliet, so that may be easier to find next year. I really cannot stand the whole upper-class, pinkies-out, cosmopolitan image they're doing to appease the wine crowd but it has resulted in some damn fine Belgian ales.

ChainsawShev
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:40 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Pretty much anything by the Three Floyds Brewery is gold

That's a good call. Best imperial stout I've ever had was their Dark Lord.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:50 pm 

Wild Devil is fermented entirely with brett. I've had pints of it on tap at a few places, but it's really expensive bottled as it only comes in a 750ml corked bottle.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 am 

Found Wild Devil, looks like they had a ton of it too. Will probably get it next time, opted instead to go for Goose Island Pepe Nero as my experimental beer of the week. A "black saison" spiced with peppercorns. Weird, but pretty tasty.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 am 

TheRealThing wrote:

Sorry if I'm busting your balls here but Blue Moon is Coors disguised as a microbrew.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:15 am 

It may be the trendy beer here in Northern California, but Sierra Nevada is probably what I drink more than anything. Not so much the Pale Ale (which is great), but I usually go for the Stout, Porter, or Celebration when it's in season.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 86  Next