Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
defyexistance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 pm 

Mine would be The Who's Quadrophenia. It is a concept album about the conflict between Mods and Rockers in 1960s-70s England, as well as The Who's most mature musical output. A film was made from the story The Who created for this album
What really makes this album stand out is the number of motifs used - throughout the album, several riffs/ideas span the totally nontraditional setup of the album. Luscious interludes between rocking songs keeps it fresh and despite the common factors, songs on this album are more individual than any album I know. "The Real Me" has a bass riff that overpowers any guitar work on the album, and "I Am One" uses a recycled riff from Tommy (The Who's other concept album), but has almost a country vibe.
Orchestration is a HUGE part of this album: it accounts for at least half of all vocal-free sections. Oboes, bassoons, and euphoniums churn beneath the strings and electric guitar to great effect.

This is a must listen for anyone who appreciates any metal at all.
To read more about the story, film, or musical elements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrophenia
"Our bodies will turn to ashes, our bones will fade to dust, our lives will be forgotten, all our dreams crushed... reality, perception, biased by our egos, mutilated by our superegos, I transcend these for now I am one with the void."-Eclipse Eternal

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:53 pm 

Oh man I have tons

My number one favourite album ever is Melting Pot by Booker T. & the MG's. It has such an awesome groovy fantastic vibe to it, it's indescribable. It's at the absolute height of the Memphis music scene in the early 70's, and sadly their last album with the original lineup, but it's completely brilliant. If you like funky music even in the slightest, definitely check this one out. They're most known for their hit Green Onions, and although that is a cool song, there is so much better.

Abbey road is one too, of course the fantastic heaviness of She's So Heavy, and the fact that the entire second half is practically one single song, it takes you on such an awesome journey. The culmination of several years of extreme creative influence, songwriting skill and experimentation with psychedelic drugs, it's totally the high point in the Beatles' career.

Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life is two and a half records long, which was pretty uncommon back then (hell, it still is). The guy's a genius songwriter, and he played each instrument at least in some capacity on the album (guitar, bass, drums, clavinet, keyboard, piano, synthesizer and percussion) and co-produced it. Tell me that's not an extreme amount of goddamn talent

In fact, I've only ever heard one metal album that I'd give 100% to, and that's Unleashed in the East ("blah blah that's so cliche," don't give a shit). Lots of really really good metal albums, but to me that's the height. I find it interesting that my favourite albums usually mark the end of a solid string of albums, rather than being a debut or a single-album band or something, though I guess that's not really very surprising for some reason.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:23 am 

There are not many for me, unless we are including classical compositions. Rock usually has a lot of filler but closest to perfection would be Van Morrison's Astral Weeks. Also maybe Frank Zappa's Weasels Ripped My Flesh and R.E.M. Murmur. I would pick a Nick Cave album but can't decide between The Good Son or From Her to Eternity.

JonnyMengele
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:52 am 

The only non metal album that I dare to mention is Boston's self titled album. It only has 8 songs but I feel no need to skip any of them. It has an extremely upbeat feel through the entire album with songs like 'Rock and Roll Band' 'Piece of Mind' and 'Foreplay/Long Time'. Even the slower 'Let me take you home tonight' I found myself singing to in the car when no one was around. Its a far cry from metal but I still find myself throwing it in the CD player more often then not. Defiantly one to check out.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 am 

Neil Young's After the Goldrush.

I could sing this one all day. Truly masterful with not a single not misplaced.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:06 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Neil Young's After the Goldrush.

I could sing this one all day. Truly masterful with not a single not misplaced.

If I had to pick a NY I might pick that one or maybe Comes A Time. Unfortunately despite his brilliance there's always a few songs on every one of his albums I don't like that much, making a 100% impossible.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:17 am 

I would nominate a couple of punk bands: Jerry's Kids "Is This My World?" and MDC's "Millions of Dead Cops" are pretty darn near close to perfect for me. Not one single weak track on either one of them.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:43 am 

"For Lack of a Better Name" by Deadmau5. From the opening snares of "FML" to the funky beats of "Moar Ghosts N Stuff" to the the ominous syncopated keys of "The 16th Hour" to the complete mindfuck that is "Strobe," it's my favorite non-metal album and 3rd-favorite album overall. Part of the reason I got interested in learning synthesizers.

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 am 

Blade Runner OST.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:03 am 

This is a great topic! I still love classic rock and other oldies. There are probably others but for now I'm going to second the OP's choice and go with Quadrophenia: magnum opus of great rock that the mainstream overlooks or snubs. Other perfect or near perfect non-metal albums I would choose..

Led Zeppelin III
The White Album
Meddle
The Division Bell
Tea for the Tillerman
The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack
In the Court of the Crimson King

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
The Division Bell

:scratch: Mind explaining this choice? I've never heard of anybody enjoying this album, let alone thinking it perfect in Pink Floyd's discography.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 am 

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
The Doors - Strange Days
The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Joy Division - Closer
Love - Forever Changes
The Beatles - Revolver

I would also give 100% to Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic if only "Big Ten Inch" wasn't there.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:15 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
The Division Bell

:scratch: Mind explaining this choice? I've never heard of anybody enjoying this album, let alone thinking it perfect in Pink Floyd's discography.

I know. I know. One thing I learned around here though (with metal) is that there will always be people who prefer that one album by great bands that goes against the grain of the majority. I can't explain exactly why I love it except that all the songs are very soothing and it flows altogether so well for me. Plus, I have very fond memories of the time when I first heard it.

One more album I can't believe I forgot to add was Thick as a Brick. I fell in love with that great album back when I heard it playing in a record store many years back.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:23 am 

The only one off the top of my head that I would for sure give a 100% without having to think about it is Despise You's Westside Horizons. Sure, it's a compilation, but every song is so perfect. I've yet to hear anybody match the anger and intensity of this release in hardcore (except for maybe No Comment on Downsided). To quote somebody, somewhere who said this to me, "I think I understood this record a little more than I had bargained for."

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:25 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
The Division Bell

Really now? It's probably my favorite Floyd album as well as one of the best albums ever (imo)!

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:27 am 

Quote:
One more album I can't believe I forgot to add was Thick as a Brick.

Yeah, that's a good one. Great album from start to finish. I was thinking of listing Led Zeppelin III and the Beatles' white album too. Held off on the white album mainly due to it containing Revolution #9 - which is OK for what it is, but for me, it would have to bring down the score a bit.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:33 am 

Not sure if any would get 100% from me... some that would be extremely close at the very least would be Bad Religion's No Control and Against the Grain, Gifts from Enola's From Fathoms, and God is an Astronaut's self titled. The Bad Religion is just some of the best punk ever written, and the other two are possibly my two favorite post rock albums ever.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:34 am 

Captain Beyond's s/t 1st release
Just epic throughout, mostly intense, for the time period, and even somewhwat for today, it still to this day pumps me up every time I put it on.

I'm tempted to say their 2nd one, too but would probably have to drop points for some laggy parts towards the end of it.

Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
Yeah, it's a 'live' album, but it kicks ass all the way through.

Alice Cooper - Killer
A perfect mix of intensity and mellowness throughout

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:38 am 

Watch, someone will mention a Nirvana album.

Argonauth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Watch, someone will mention a Nirvana album.

ahahahahah, most likely, yeah but not me ;)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:47 am 

Absolutely. Here are a couple of my choices:

Dead-Can-Dance - Within The Realms Of A Dying Sun

Really it should need no introduction, but this is one hell of an impressive album. Grand and sweeping sonic landscapes, lushly produced taking the listener on a very vivid and inspiring musical journey, with a hint of melancholy, and a profound sadness that never delves into self indulgence. Both Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard's voices are perfect in every sense - pure magic.

The Fields Of The Nephilim - Elizium

Ancient, musty, cob-webbed and riddled with unspoken, arcane knowledge, together with the aura of bloated, yellowing sunsets is what fills my senses when experiencing this colossal magnum opus. Another absolutely untouchable album that provides a powerful atmosphere to languish in.

Depeche Mode - Violator

Timeless music for an apathetic age. This seemingly unstoppable trio of song craftsman knows no limits on this brilliant album. No fillers at all to be found, just some honest and emotive stories, which holds your attention right to the bitter end. Classic and classy.

Destroid - Future Prophecies

Quite simply one the best electronic albums I've ever heard. The artist behind this one man project is responsible for co-writing music for the great Hajoubb, but on this record, it goes in a deeper and darker direction. To me, this is another album with no fillers, and a great varying pace and mood - from the grinding, hectic assault of opener Soul Asylum, you are taken on a winding, poorly lit (and deteriorating) road of the artist own vision. Rusty but still with a keen edge.

My collection

LovecraftHorror
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:52 am 

Alice In Chains - Selftitled.
Alice In Chains - Facelift.
Combichrist - Everybody Hates You.
The Prodigy - Fat Of The Land.
Rammstein - Mutter.

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:15 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Blade Runner OST.

Alright! :thumbsup: Blade Runner is timeless and brilliant and the amazing Vangelis score couldn't be better and more suited to this. This film has quite a hold on me actually and as many movie soundtracks as I enjoy, I continue to listen to this the most. Esper Edition all the way!

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Really it should need no introduction, but this is one hell of an impressive album. Grand and sweeping sonic landscapes, lushly produced taking the listener on a very vivid and inspiring musical journey, with a hint of melancholy, and a profound sadness that never delves into self indulgence. Both Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard's voices are perfect in every sense - pure magic.

Depeche Mode - Violator

Timeless music for an apathetic age. This seemingly unstoppable trio of song craftsman knows no limits on this brilliant album. No fillers at all to be found, just some honest and emotive stories, which holds your attention right to the bitter end. Classic and classy.

Well said and so true. I'm happy to see these here but I'll admit that I've only recently gotten around to finally hearing Violator after putting off Depeche Mode for so long. It's had a great effect on me since I've been listening and I know it'll sink in even deeper with time. Within the Realm of a Dying Sun seems beyond any praise I could be satisfied giving it; as much as I love Dead Can Dance, this is my favorite one and I won't ever go too long without playing it.

Anyway, this is a tough one to narrow down because there's a lot of non-metal I'd rate really high. Here's a few that I wouldn't think twice about giving a flawless rating:

Siouxsie & the Banshees - Nocturne

I have a pretty obsessive lunacy about all things Siouxsie Sioux so I'm a bit partial and maybe a little overblown about how'd I'd rate everything in the Banshees' legacy, but this is a live album that is as close to perfection to me as any live album I've heard. The spot-on performance and execution, the song selection, the time and era... everything here embodies this incomparable band at that point and what they were innovating musically.

Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly / 23

These two albums completely satisfy a love I have for styles that have a strong melancholic presence with pop sensibilities on the outer-fringes. This trio brings to mind the eclectic, electro-pop of Splashdown, the warping, ethereal bliss of My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive with the quirks of Sonic Youth and the heart of Jeff Buckley and Radiohead... throw in some trip-hop dreaminess and two scoops of raisins and you've got a melting pot that's 100% brilliant, unique and utterly moving if your receptive to this sort of thing.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Speaking of a melting pot, does any jazz sound more like an otherworldly concoction than Bitches Brew? The complete sessions are a real treasure in not just jazz but for all music in general and I'd never give this anything less than a perfect rating. This music is living and breathing, wandering and discovering, populated with sound; a world of it's own that embodies something greater than the sum of it's parts. This is the pinnacle of jazz/fusion and even if most people would consider this an outright mess of randomness, it's essential for anyone with an interest in psychedelia, experimental music or even ambient.

John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco

Three of the greatest guitarists of our time on the greatest live album featuring acoustic guitars there is. Here are three giants with quite a history around them and more skill and experience than anyone out there. It shows in every note and the mastery in their recordings as The Guitar Trio is awe-inspiring to say the least. It's not just a circus of scales like a lot of virtuoso instrumentalists; as advanced as it is, I really get a lot of feeling and atmosphere out of it. 100% when I heard it over 10 years ago and still to this day.

Aquarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:56 am 

Nueit De Sabbat by Stille Volk - excellent Medieval Folk music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJubUXcqCF4

All albums by Dark Sanctuary deserve the highest evaluation. I love them equally and I don't find any weak point in the present production of this great band.
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=2128

Weaponizedtoast
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:35 am 

.45 Grave - Sleep in Safety
Bauhaus - In A Flat Field
The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette
Big Black - Racer X
Devo - Are We Not Men...
Devo - Freedom of Choice
The B-52's - The B-52's
Men Without Hats - Rhythm of Youth
The Cramps - Psychedelic Jungle
The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us
Gun Club - Fire of Love

Ilwhyan wrote:
When people say 99% of black metal in a context like this, it never actually means 99% of black metal.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:27 am 

Songs for the Deaf Queens of the Stone Age
Era Vulgaris-Queens of the Stone Age
Mother's Milk-Red Hot Chilipeppers
One Hot Minute-Red Hot Chilly Peppers
All albums by Rammstein save for the last two
Smoke 'Em IF yOu Got 'Em- Reverend Horton Heat
Liquor In the Front-Reverend Horton Heat
Heart Full of Black- The Burning Brides
LAtter Days/ Eearky Days (even thought it's a smplit/best of) Led Zeppelin

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

billboy73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:49 am 

I don't think I can give anything 100% but here are a few that I think come pretty close.

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness - My favorite non-metal album of all time. This is the album that really got me into music and guitar.

Wilco - Being There - A solid album from start to finish, with loud Stones-y country rock to soft, gentle country-folky stuff, and a touch of the experimentation they would expand on later. Jeff Tweedy is a brilliant songwriter.

Rush - Permanant Waves - Every song on this album is great, with Natural Science being my favorite Rush song.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 pm 

Ravenlord266 wrote:
TheExodusAttack wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
The Division Bell

Really now? It's probably my favorite Floyd album as well as one of the best albums ever (imo)!

I love The Division Bell. It's probably not my favorite Pink Floyd album but it does mean a lot to me as a music listener. Lost for Words and High Hopes are both amazing songs that are packed with a shitton of emotion.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 pm 

Closer - Joy Divison

Hautingly beautiful postpunk output from an amazing artist. I love almost everything Joy Division has ever done, but this album is just so perfect in every way. Nothing better than spinning this album on a cold winter night.

Peepshow - Siouxsie and the Banshees

This is a strange one for me... But there's just something about the way Siouxsie Sioux wails over Severin's compsitions on this album that grabs me in a way most music in this genre can't. The Killing Jar, Carousel and Scarecrow... Damn!

Moving Pictures - Rush

Yes, even Tom Sawyer is a good song. But the power of YYZ, Limelight, Vital Signs... Ah fuck it, pretty much EVERY song on this album is just something completely out of this world. I could listen to this album forever.

hij
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm 

Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses.

Awesome album from start to finish. This album truly captures the sound of the band at that time. The band was able to truly capture the energy and feel of the bands live show at the time.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:41 pm 

Motorpriest wrote:
Moving Pictures - Rush

Yes, even Tom Sawyer is a good song. But the power of YYZ, Limelight, Vital Signs... Ah fuck it, pretty much EVERY song on this album is just something completely out of this world. I could listen to this album forever.

I was actually expecting to see more Rush in this thread. There are a few albums from them I could probably mention here, but I just have never gotten into Moving Pictures. I guess I'll give it more spins at some point but anytime I'm looking to put on Rush Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres. The Necromancer from Caress of Steel is undoubtedly by favorite suite they've done. That middle track is so proto-metal it hurts a little.

The only album I'm going to put forth at the moment is Creedence Clearwater Revival's Green River. You can practically taste the swamp coming off this one. There are some moody, ominous tracks like Bad Moon Rising and Sinister Purpose, not to mention the absolutely frantic energy and killer riffing from Commotion. Their cover version of The Night Time is the Right Time is excellent as well (as with most of their covers). I'm a big CCR fanboy and listen to all their stuff in pretty heavy rotation, but this one for me is the pinnacle of their discography.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:54 pm 

Quilapayun: Umbral
Chile's given the world some great music, but you're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't give this a listen. Absolutely beautiful compositions spanning a range of styles, but there's never any doubt about the coherency of the album. The music and lyrics are so tightly entwined that even if you can't speak Spanish, you can generally pull out the message of the song.

King Crimson: In The Court Of The Crimson King
If you're questioning why this is here, you haven't listened to the album. Plain and simple.

The Prodigy: Fat of the Land
Admittedly, this one would vary between a 98% and a 100% for me, depending on my mood regarding "Funky Shit," which is clearly the weakest track on the album. The album on the whole, though, is perhaps the most perfectly-produced album ever released. Tight, interesting songs with that kind of pacemaker-crushing bass, and you've got an awesome album.

Squarepusher: Feed Me Weird Things
This might be more of a personal/sentimental thing than an objective 100%, but to me, this album is what defines Squarepusher. Everything from tranquil downtempo tracks to virtuosic jazzy basswork (Flea calls him the best bassist alive) to spasmodic drum and bass sequencing... and, of course, heaps of his unique harmonic progressions. Hard Normal Daddy is also a great album, but focuses more on his electronics stuff. Ultravisitor is the other album everyone cites as his high point, but everything he did there can be found on FMWT. Add on the fact that this was the album that got me interested in music on the whole, and yeah, I kinda have to give this one a 100%.

JackRog1104
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 pm 

I'm making a second mention for King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King. 5 beautifully crafted masterpieces with not a single boring or weak moment. One of my favourite albums of all time.

Another is Alice In Chains - Dirt. Some consider them metal but I don't. This album for me is their magnum opus and another of my favourite albums. Such a crushing and melancholy atmosphere, it puts most doom metal I've heard (which admittedly isn't a great deal) to shame.

Finally I'm going to be clichéd and say Led Zeppelin IV. Every song on here is great, but what makes the album truly special is the diversity presented in the songwriting here. Not a single song sounds alike to a different one (except perhaps "Going to California" and "The Battle of Evermore"). Pretty much the definition of a classic.

Vrede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:25 pm 

heathinjersey wrote:
Appetite For Destruction - Guns N Roses.

Awesome album from start to finish. This album truly captures the sound of the band at that time. The band was able to truly capture the energy and feel of the bands live show at the time.

Seconded. Their best (and honestly only good) album.

Speak for yourself.

hnv1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:41 pm 

I actually thin ka non metal album would have an easier time scoring the 100%

short list for great albums
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Led Zeppelin - IV
Black Flag - Damaged
Nirvana - Nevermind
Sonic Youth - Goo
His Hero Is Gone - Mouments to Thieves
Rudimentary Peni - Death Church
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

and thats the tip of a greater whole

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:51 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Nice to see some Dead Can Dance praise in the thread :). I'd actually overlooked this album until now, blinded by the gorgeousness of Aion and The Serpent's Egg, but I'm glad I'm finally listening to it now. Definitely stands close to the heights of the former two, in terms of both style and quality.

On a side note, Dead Can Dance lovers here should do themselves a favor and check out the work of Arcana. While clearly taking heavy inspiration from the Australian duo, they take the style confidently in their own grand direction and boast an even more consistent discography, imo. Arcana's great.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:28 pm 

The Devil makes Three - The Devil makes Three

By far the best thing I've found all year. Every song on this album is so damn good...
Heres a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNJowyYkoOs

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

WallofWater
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 pm 

Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music
The Clash London Calling
Brian Eno Music for Airports

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:01 pm 

The Mars Volta - Frances the mute
one of my favorite albums of all time, really awesome, but not for everybody, i guess

Rush - 2112
In my top 5 of all time, the summit of prog rock.

Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis - Foxtrot
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here/Atom Heart Mother

the best of british prog

The Doors - S/T (just great, everybody knows why)

QOTSA - Rated R
(Homme is a songwriting master, cocococococo-CAINE

Radiohead - Ok Computer
the album that made me discover music, still fantastic.

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde/Highway 61/Blood on the tracks
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York (just for you Markthevictor)

Harmonium - L'heptade
if you love prog and don't know them, check it out. If you can listen to Moonsorrow in freaking finnish, you surely can listen to french. It is my favorite album in Québec's music
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (yeah, that one)
The Clash - London Calling (for sure)

There's non metal bands i really enjoy but i will not give them 100%
like The Flaming Lips, Muse, Interpol, old U2, R.E.M, Wolf Parade, the list goes on

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Nice to see some Dead Can Dance praise in the thread :).

don't forget Cocteau Twins. probably Treasure gets a 100%

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next