Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Whoshotyou
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:25 pm 

Why is it that is always seems like the majority of the hate around here is always towards Metallica? To me, they did a lot for metal and I just want to know why the hate? Are they not "tr00" enough? I know they kinda messed up with St. Anger but a lot of people just don't like them period. Why? Can anyone offer a valid explanation?

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:27 pm 

Metallica gets dissed for the their later albums but most people here love their first 3 albums. Hell, Ride the Lightning is one of the highest rated albums on this site.

/thread

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

TempusFugit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 pm 

Most love their first two, like the next two and tolerate the s/t. It gets spotty after that.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm 

Metallica sell millions of dollars worth of albums. They are hardly hated.

Personally, I find everything after MoP quite boring and many around here do not like much of their material. That is understandable becuse they have changed their sound quite drastically over the years and unless you're caspian, you're not going to like all of it. As a band gets bigger, they attract more fans and more detractors. That's just how it works.

- Tim Minchin

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:37 pm 

I love their first 2 albums to bits, I listen to them very frequently. They were one of the best thrash metal bands ever at this point.

I have never like MOP. The song is so shit. I cannot listen to the whole thing because it is just so bad. Same goes for the rest of the album being bad but I can get through songs, but the title track is awful.

Never bothered with anything between That and Death Magnetic which I found to be decent. I have heard One and Nothing else matters and I am not a fan of either. I heard Death Magnetic just because a friend copied it for me, it would have been rude not to as he took the time. I like some of the tracks, cyanide and All Nightmare long. Neither of them are anywhere near KEA/RTL levels but still decent every now again. The solos in The day that never comes are incredible, I listen to that song from half way in sometimes.I don't slag off Metallica as a band I just heavily heavily hate on Master of puppets, and just refuse to comment on the ones I haven't heard.

People who really hate on them do it because they blatantly so

ld out. I couldn't care less. Something they did later doesn't go back in time and make the first 2 albums worse. I listen to them and ignore the rest.

Most sensible metalheads would probably agree with that summation of just ignoring what they don't like rather than actively hating on it

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:39 pm 

I'd hardly call them the most hated band ever. Personally, I just find all of their material boring.

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 pm 

More hated on than Metallica...
Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Opeth and Pantera

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:50 pm 

I wouldn't say Metallica are hated, just some of their albums. And for good reason. I personally find even their back catalogue overrated, even though their first two albums are still very good. I just always find myself listening to Slayer instead.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:53 pm 

Umbersun wrote:

Although I can understand the first 2 and Pantera, where does all the Opeth hate come from? They've never changed their style to conform with the masses, always doing their own thing, they're not afraid to experiment with stuff that falls outside the metal realm, and all 5 of the band's current members have pretty respectable backgrounds in metal. Their attitude is about as metal as it gets. They got a good break really. They never did anything to deserve the amount of hate they get.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Void_Eater
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:54 pm 

From what I've observed on the Archives, Metallica has a huge amount of fans, and many who are complete fan boys. Not exactly hated.

iamntbatman wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Fuckin' irony; how does that work?

Orange_Gem
Eats fæces for YOUR freedom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:55 pm 

Metallica are not the most hated band in the metalhead community, but they are one of them. It is because they sold out, but despite that they received abnormally incredibly success and popularity. It's fairly simple.

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 pm 

Animicantus wrote:
Umbersun wrote:

Although I can understand the first 2 and Pantera, where does all the Opeth hate come from? They've never changed their style to conform with the masses, always doing their own thing, they're not afraid to experiment with stuff that falls outside the metal realm, and all 5 of the band's current members have pretty respectable backgrounds in metal. Their attitude is about as metal as it gets. They got a good break really. They never did anything to deserve the amount of hate they get.

Completely agreed and well put, but don't ask the haters to run down a list for you because you'll get everything from "none of the riffs make sense together" to "they're all homo-erotic hippies who showboat instead of write actual songs".

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:05 pm 

So nobody here have heard of Braindrill, Hellyeah, Six Feet Under, Waking the Cadaver or Winds of Plague? All those bands are for the most part hated by all and have a pretty small amount of fans, unlike Dimmu Borgir, Metallica, Opeth, Pantera or whatever bigger metal bands that people choose to hate on.

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 pm 

So nobody here has heard of Braindrill, Caliban, Hellyeah, Six Feet Under, Waking the Cadaver or Winds of Plague? They're like Metallica except different genre of music, much less fans and little to no praise at any point in their careers. I'd say any one of those are the most hated metal bands ever.

Orange_Gem
Eats fæces for YOUR freedom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 pm 

CannibalKid wrote:
So nobody here have heard of Braindrill, Hellyeah, Six Feet Under, Waking the Cadaver or Winds of Plague? All those bands are for the most part hated by all and have a pretty small amount of fans, unlike Dimmu Borgir, Metallica, Opeth, Pantera or whatever bigger metal bands that people choose to hate on.

What the hell? Six Feet Under and Winds of Plague are bands with thousands of loyal fans, regardless of their quality. I hear more Metallica criticism on this board than Braindrill.

MrTubefox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 pm 

Orange_Gem wrote:
CannibalKid wrote:

What the hell? Six Feet Under and Winds of Plague are bands with thousands of loyal fans, regardless of their quality. I hear more Metallica criticism on this board than Braindrill.

That's because Metallica are more popular. There's no reason to criticize a band almost universally agreed to suck.

You forgot Slipknot, who might actually deserve the most hated award. People who don't even listen to metal hate and mock Slipknot fans, while someone who doesn't listen to metal is unlikely to have any opinion on a Metallica shirt. Unless of course they don't just not listen to metal, but actively hate the entire genre. But such a person's opinion doesn't deserve much consideration.

beelaal85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:39 pm 

I strictly like KEA & RTL. The production and James' voice on these two are SUPERB !!
The rest (esp. MOP and AJFA) would have been alot better if they were produced like those but the songs are ultra long...
And everytime I play AJFA... I become depressed !!

Xim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:50 pm 

I think their first four albums are great, Black Album and Death Magnetic are alright. The rest of their albums are terrible, save for Fuel off ReLoad.

Pepsiman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:56 pm 

Metallica's work after the Black Album up to Death Magnetic, as well as plenty of their weird shenanigans gets a ton of hate. The band drama is worth little more than a few giggles (the "Lar$ haetz napster hurp durp" kind of thing), and I haven't listened to the aforementioned albums, so I can't tell you how good they are.

Bands like Hellyeah and Waking the Cadaver aren't so much genuinely hated for "corrupting music" or something as mocked for just being retarded. More popular bands like Cradle/Dimmu/Opeth tend to be love-hate affairs, but the way I see it, there aren't many metal bands that inspire so much love and hate from the same people until you get to Metallica.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:19 pm 

I've banned the OP. I will now ban anyone who posts a topic in this way. As usual, none of you know when enough is enough.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.