Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Secret_Iceland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am 

NOTE: I actually wanted to call this "Should low recording/production quality be a reason for writing a bad review?" but it was too long

The reason I ask this is because I feel musical reviews should be based upon a band's ability to create amazing music and not the quality of the recording. But, I'm asking so I obviously don't know the legit answer ha.

glyndwr_2002
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:24 am 

I think it really depends... for a demo, I'm not as picky. For a lot of black metal, it's part of the ambiance, so OK, maybe.

But, remember, reviews are still subjective and depend on how *you* feel about it. If crystal-clear production is important to you, and the band just doesn't have it, I don't think anyone's going to come after you if you dock a few points based on that fact.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 am 

Reviews should be based on the whole product. What good is any ability to create amazing music if you can't make out any of it? Imagine a band has the world's most gifted bass player and the album has the production of "...And Justice For All..."

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:32 am 

Secret_Iceland wrote:
NOTE: I actually wanted to call this "Should low recording/production quality be a reason for writing a bad review?" but it was too long

The reason I ask this is because I feel musical reviews should be based upon a band's ability to create amazing music and not the quality of the recording. But, I'm asking so I obviously don't know the legit answer ha.

Well, like drone said, amazing music can be hindered by bad production. Production is part of the package, too, and if it hinders or damages the way you enjoy the album, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be mentioned in the review. I've heard several people say the production doesn't matter to them, but if I turned on a Kamelot album and it was mixed like a garage band demo, I would sure as fuck take that into account.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:37 am 

It depends on your priorities as a listener. If bad production and recording quality don't bother you, then don't worry about it. If it does bother you, then write about how it bothers you and give the album a lower score.

There's no real objective criteria when it comes to reviewing, folks. People may disagree on what the criteria ought to be, but first and foremost you have to think about how you feel, because the primary purpose of all art is (ought to be) to evoke emotion from its audience. How cleverly it's put together doesn't mean dick if you don't like the damn thing.

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:42 pm 

Interesting topic, I used to think that bad production didn't bother me. When I heard Nevermore's "Enemies of Reality" I was disappointed with the production of the album. The remix is much better.
Of course I don't mind listening to raw produced stuff. Black metal tends to feel really organic with certain things. On top of that, some people can make beautiful music sterile with too much over-production... though that's somewhat hard to do if you have a proper sound engineer.

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:05 pm 

Part of what you have to keep in mind was the band's intent when they recorded the music. A lot of black metal is deliberately fuzzy, for example.

You're not wrong for having an opinion about the production of any release. If the production is important to you and you think it's also important to mention that the production is lousy, like it's a power metal album but the clarity is lacking, then bash away.

I personally do not forgive "big" bands like Slayer when they put out an album with a crappy production. I'm much more forgiving to the small acts, but not always. Depends on the album.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:12 pm 

holyrebels wrote:
Part of what you have to keep in mind was the band's intent when they recorded the music. A lot of black metal is deliberately fuzzy, for example.

Personally the intent doesn't mean shit, if a positive effect occurs then great, but if a band wants to sound like shit and successfully pulls it off, I'm not going to praise them for realising their goal of sounding like a circular saw cutting through pillows in a wind tunnel.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:15 pm 

Sure if it thoroughly ruins the music for someone, why not. Production is part of the music despite what some may say.

holyrebels
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:18 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
holyrebels wrote:

Personally the intent doesn't mean shit, if a positive effect occurs then great, but if a band wants to sound like shit and successfully pulls it off, I'm not going to praise them for realising their goal of sounding like a circular saw cutting through pillows in a wind tunnel.

Agreed. It's all subjective anyway. I didn't mean for "intent" to be a substitute or an excuse for crappy albums. It's a fine line when making that determination.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
holyrebels wrote:

Don't you realize just how fucking metal what you described was? Perhaps you have discovered the source of your perils on your own, at least. The people that utilize such productions support the notion that sonic qualities such as timbre play an equally important role in affecting one's perception of music as pitch and rhythm do. It doesn't matter that you agree with it or not; just as it does not matter to them if you think it happens to suck.

I support that any opinions to be held on production quality should be allowed, as should everything else. What matters most is the voice that you use and your honesty in your words.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
holyrebels wrote:

That actually sounds pretty bad ass. Reminds me of Prowler perhaps? Or are you specifically referring to Brodequin? :P

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:12 pm 

Only if it harms the presentation of the music.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 am 

I suppose it depends on the listener as well as the band at hand, for you can't really listen to a Kamelot album in the same way that you would a Darkthrone album in terms of production. Personally, I never pay attention to production values too often unless they're blatantly obvious. The production on Danzig's I Luciferi comes to mind...

Idrownfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:50 pm 

I usually ask myself the question: "has the band achieved what they were going for with this release?" before rating it... Production quality has different values based on the music genre. Sometimes (mainly in black metal) a raw, cheap production ends up being better than a polished one.

VRR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:02 pm 

A good review will review the music. A bad review will review the product. Think of it this way: If you were listening to Beethoven in 1903 and it was his 5th Symphony being played on a wax cylinder, you would not be able to hear half of the orchestra. But you wouldn't turn around and say "That Beethoven; he's a bit shit", either.

Definitely talk about the production job in your review, but don't be distracted by it. You have to look past it to the music and demonstrate that you are a good enough reviewer to be listened to.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:19 pm 

The production is part of the final product, so it has an impact on how enjoyable the album is. I am generally much more tolerable of weaker production on demos, but albums take a strong hit when they are overproduced and have some bad production values despite more than adequate studios.

DecayingMyYouth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:16 am 

It all depends; if it's black metal most of it is bad production to add to the atmosphere. But like someone said above me...

Circular saw Image

Pillows

Wind tunnel

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:21 pm 

shitty production is production that detracts from the experience the album tries to achieve.
That said, i find the production in something like bone awl and alkerdeel enjoyable even though technically its "shitty" but it just works. Actually usually i get more annoyed by sterile production than anything else.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.