Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:43 pm 

Do any of you know BM bands with anti-greek or hellenic lyrics? Preferably turkish bands, but as long is it is has some anti-greek lyrics, that's fine.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 pm 

Ice_As_Steel wrote:
Do any of you know BM bands with anti-greek or hellenic lyrics? Preferably turkish bands, but as long is it is has some anti-greek lyrics, that's fine.

And what would be the point of a band with anti-xxx (insert any nationality here) lyrics? :p

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 pm 

Mike999 wrote:
I'm looking for black metal bands that use organs/synths but are hideously depressive, no lame poppy shit..

Graveland, Bal-Sagoth, Summoning are examples..

Looking for cold, evil funeral synth shit, but no ambient (i have enough of that)

Kind of with Ice_As_Steel here, in that I'm not sure we have the same idea of "depressive," but in any case, you might want to look into The Eye. Gloomy mid-paced black metal with a really heavy and sorrowful edge that incorporates synth in a very organ-like manner, side project of Blut Aus Nord.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:01 pm 

ArtificialStupidity wrote:
I just got into black metal. I've been listening to Mayhem and Beherit for a while now but after discovering Blut Aus Nord, it seems black metal finally hit the right spot for me. Now I want more. I have very atheistic view on things, so I'm looking for lyrical subjects covering philosophy, myths, tales and mysticism. I already know death metal thoroughly, better than my own pockets and I want to expand my taste. What bands could you recommend to me? I already know Absu. Thanks!

Not to be Mr. Obvious or anything, but you might look into Emperor, beginning with Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk or In the Nightside Eclipse. Seconding the Paysage d'Hiver/Darkspace recommendations, as well, as they are both extremely good projects. Also check out the fabulous Blut Aus Nord side projects The Eye and Children of Maani, both quite mysticism-oriented.

It's a bit of an aesthetic side-step (er, rather a large one) from any of the above, but I definitely recommend Ulver's Bergtatt and Nattens Madrigal, as well. Very folkloric/old-tale-y magic to be found there. Arcturus's Aspera Hiems Symfonia just might do it for you in that vein, too. Bathory's Blood on Ice is also quite different from the rest but outlines an intense mystical hero quest that you won't soon forget, much akin to Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta I, which is, of course, a very good thing.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm 

Mike999 wrote:
I'm looking for black metal bands that use organs/synths but are hideously depressive, no lame poppy shit..

Graveland, Bal-Sagoth, Summoning are examples..

Looking for cold, evil funeral synth shit, but no ambient (i have enough of that)

--> Godkiller - The Rebirth of the Middle Ages

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

raveneyeslikemirrors
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:35 am 

glyndwr_2002 wrote:
gravlagtieljudne wrote:
raveneyeslikemirrors wrote:
Looking for ULTRA symphonic black metal on the likes of Diabolical Breed, Limbonic Art and Obsidian Gate.

Vesperian Sorrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVUTSAKEab4

Love Vesperian Sorrow!

I mentioned Morgart earlier... very good choice here.

Vesperian Sorrow is OK, but they have kind of left the BM lmage and idiom to something more contemporary which I kind of feel detracts from the music. However, Morgart is much more like it and I thank you for reccomending them.

PrinceofEmptiness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:51 pm 

Can someone recommend me some bands like Altar of Plagues? I just bought White Tomb today and its fucking awesome. I guess what I'm looking for is black metal mixed with post-rock.

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm 

Get ready for a lot of recs.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:44 pm 

Im kind of a BM noobie. I need some good reccs based on what I have heard/like.

I like - 1349, Marduk, Dark Fortress, Emperor/Ihsan, Bethlehem, most 1st wave....and Dimmu Borgir / Cradle of Filth if u count them as BM

I DONT Like - Bathory, Mayhem, Burzum, most 2nd wave...

sp33dm3tal4lyfe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
Im kind of a BM noobie. I need some good reccs based on what I have heard/like.

I like - 1349, Marduk, Dark Fortress, Emperor/Ihsan, Bethlehem, most 1st wave....and Dimmu Borgir / Cradle of Filth if u count them as BM

I DONT Like - Bathory, Mayhem, Burzum, most 2nd wave...

Bathory is apart of the 1st wave; ('[Dark'] Speed & Thrash Metal).

Along with Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate, early Celtic Frost...

a rec? No more Plastic Black Metal.

You actualy listed the 2 out of 3 bands from the beginning of the 2nd Wave that are actually worth listening to nowadays. Given Darkthrone And BURZURM came out with new albums this year!

i guess thats my opinion though =)

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:59 pm 

PrinceofEmptiness wrote:
Can someone recommend me some bands like Altar of Plagues? I just bought White Tomb today and its fucking awesome. I guess what I'm looking for is black metal mixed with post-rock.

While I haven't delved into Altar of Plagues yet (will do in the near future I hope :p) given your description I have some bands to recommend.

Fen - A very good mix of bleak atmospheric Black Metal with a lot of post-rock influences. "The Malediction Fields" is their only full length to-date but as they're relatevily new, we can expect more things from them in the future.

Alcest / Amesoeurs - I am mostly certain that you know both of these bands because they're quite well known. Not much to be told about them. There is not a simple moment that I didn't enjoy in "Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde" and there is a reason for that. Neige is just good as hell in this style.

Altoriu Seseliai - Surely, one would say that Altoriu are far more influenced by Ambient than by Post-Rock. And it wouldn't be wrong. But still, I urge you to listen to "Margi Sakalai" (the demos are worthy as well but I doubt you could ever find them). I am pretty sure that songs like "...ant upes didziausios smeletu krantu...", "Gelsvas Menuo" and "As Taip Laukiu" will captivate you. It's such a shame that Avinpapis eventually lost interest :/

Caina / Dormant - Although on the more neo-folkish side of things, you will notice a lot of post-rock influence in their work. Both of them are pretty solid bands and seem right up your alley.

Solstafir - The great thing with Solstafir is that they have mixed their Viking BM with a lot of post-rock influences. There is simply nothing that one could not love in "I Blodi Og Anda". "Masterpiece of Bitterness" is a great album as well but I still prefer their first release. "I Nordri" from their first demo is a great song as well (it's actually my favourite Solstafir track followed by "Bitch in Black").

Well, that was it. I hope you will like them :)

PS: Of course, I didn't recommend the obvious Wolves in the Throne Room, Solstafir and Agalloch (well, only up to a point fitting but anyway) as I guess you already know them. In the slight case you don't, check them out as well.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:08 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Altoriu Seseliai - (the demos are worthy as well but I doubt you could ever find them)

Really? I think I've seen it at other places too, but I could be wrong.

PrinceofEmptiness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:59 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
PrinceofEmptiness wrote:

While I haven't delved into Altar of Plagues yet (will do in the near future I hope :p) given your description I have some bands to recommend.

Fen - A very good mix of bleak atmospheric Black Metal with a lot of post-rock influences. "The Malediction Fields" is their only full length to-date but as they're relatevily new, we can expect more things from them in the future.

Alcest / Amesoeurs - I am mostly certain that you know both of these bands because they're quite well known. Not much to be told about them. There is not a simple moment that I didn't enjoy in "Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde" and there is a reason for that. Neige is just good as hell in this style.

Altoriu Seseliai - Surely, one would say that Altoriu are far more influenced by Ambient than by Post-Rock. And it wouldn't be wrong. But still, I urge you to listen to "Margi Sakalai" (the demos are worthy as well but I doubt you could ever find them). I am pretty sure that songs like "...ant upes didziausios smeletu krantu...", "Gelsvas Menuo" and "As Taip Laukiu" will captivate you. It's such a shame that Avinpapis eventually lost interest :/

Caina / Dormant - Although on the more neo-folkish side of things, you will notice a lot of post-rock influence in their work. Both of them are pretty solid bands and seem right up your alley.

Solstafir - The great thing with Solstafir is that they have mixed their Viking BM with a lot of post-rock influences. There is simply nothing that one could not love in "I Blodi Og Anda". "Masterpiece of Bitterness" is a great album as well but I still prefer their first release. "I Nordri" from their first demo is a great song as well (it's actually my favourite Solstafir track followed by "Bitch in Black").

Well, that was it. I hope you will like them :)

PS: Of course, I didn't recommend the obvious Wolves in the Throne Room, Solstafir and Agalloch (well, only up to a point fitting but anyway) as I guess you already know them. In the slight case you don't, check them out as well.

Thanks for the recommendations man. I'll be sure to check all these bands out over the next few days.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:09 am 

hey wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Altoriu Seseliai - (the demos are worthy as well but I doubt you could ever find them)

Really? I think I've seen it at other places too, but I could be wrong.

Hmm, last time I checked at Todestrieb it only had the album. Well, I am happy I was mistaken then :)

Thanks, mate :thumbsup:

Edit: I meant last time obviously and not next time :p

Last edited by Mors_Gloria on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 am 

Glad to have helped. I only have Margi Sakalai so I might try to get that demo sometime as well.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:21 pm 

hey wrote:
Glad to have helped. I only have Margi Sakalai so I might try to get that demo sometime as well.

I don't have the actual release because myself I haven't found it but I have the mp3s. Altoriu's page used to have all the sound files.

PS: By release I mean the demos not "Margi Sakalai".

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:08 pm 

Hello everyone,

Prepare for an interpretable recommendation, as I am bad at describing actual sounds, and more at describing a picture that I want;

I'm looking for layered atmospheric black metal that has a feeling of final desperation, a disintegrating torrent of sorts, an album that feels as if the world is being torn apart from all corners and all hope is gone as humanity comes to its end. Take note that I don't want something as violently straightforward as tanks blazing through cities and heads being blown apart, nukes ablaze. I'm talking about a more deliberate, spiritual destruction something akin to the life being sucked out of the listener.

A part of a two song that would strike a balance of what I would like would be Austere's "This Dreadful Emptiness" from 4:17 onwards (being a bit too mellow, but retains that feeling of hopelessness and desolation) and Woe's "Longing Is All Will Remain" from 1:56 onwards. The Woe song is more akin to what I would want, however less primitive sounding.

Sorry for the vague reccomendation, if there's any description I can give to help, let me know.

EDIT: I'm actually curious to everyone's interpretation of what I want, so if it helps, you can ignore the two songs-in-reference I listed in favor of your own interpretation.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:09 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
A few old requests I made got no real responses, so I'll put em up again. Would appreciate any help.

Firstly, looking for stuff similar to Drudkh's "Forgotten Legends". Hypnotic, repetitive black metal that's beautiful. Not depressive, but atmospheric and easy to space out to. Already know the obvious ones: Walknut, Wodensthrone, Negură Bunget...

Also looking for black/sludge metal like Alkerdeel. Basically it needs the occult atmosphere, raw production, and repetitive black metal riffs combined with the sludgier (almost crusty) parts on some Alkerdeel songs.

Alkerdeel is awesome, I'm so glad you asked this question. :D

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:34 pm 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
I'm looking for layered atmospheric black metal that has a feeling of final desperation, a disintegrating torrent of sorts, an album that feels as if the world is being torn apart from all corners and all hope is gone as humanity comes to its end. Take note that I don't want something as violently straightforward as tanks blazing through cities and heads being blown apart, nukes ablaze. I'm talking about a more deliberate, spiritual destruction something akin to the life being sucked out of the listener.

Hmm, the description is pretty interesting. Well, only 4 bands have made me feel that way.

The first is Epheles. "La Linceul de la Mort" out of "Souviens-Toi" is such a great song. I surely recommend them to you.

The second one is Hekel. There is something very sinister and dark in "De Dodenvaart" that I cannot trace myself. Highly recommended as well.

The third one is Silencer. Yes, I know that Silencer are widely considered over-the-top. Yes, the vocals are a bit comical sometimes. But still, I consider "Death-Pierce Me" a great piece of art. Call me weird but I love it.

Last but not least is Dodsferd. The amazing thing with Dodsferd is that despite their BM not being exactly my style, they are still one of my favourite BM bands. Because simply their music is THAT good. Check out "Fucking Your Creation" and you may agree with me as well ;)

PS: Yes, Dodsfer is a one-man band but still using "his" instead of "their" in the above sentence seemed quite wrong to my eyes :p

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:14 pm 

Yay Mors_Gloria is back! wouldn't be a black metal thread without you dude.

Now, i've gone through the old black metal thread completely at least 3 times now, so idk i that will be of any help, but im looking for anything in the vein of Negura Bunget, in terms of both quality and their style, though it would be also nice to see a band like them but with a wintery and cold atmosphere.

Another recommendation I would like would be of bands like ColdWorld, but with a faster tempo and less "depressive" vocals.

thanks a lot in advance to anyone who helps.

black_blunt2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:15 pm 

morfumax wrote:

Now, i've gone through the old black metal thread completely at least 3 times now, so idk i that will be of any help, but im looking for anything in the vein of Negura Bunget, in terms of both quality and their style, though it would be also nice to see a band like them but with a wintery and cold atmosphere.

Another recommendation I would like would be of bands like ColdWorld, but with a faster tempo and less "depressive" vocals.

As far as a band like Negura Bunget try Wodensthrone. Great young band from GB, the first album was recorded at Negura studio. Also try Black Lotus and possibly Kroda in terms of a more wintery atmosphere.

For ColdWorld, try A Forest of Stars. I havent had a chance to listen to the newest album, but The Corpse of Rebirth reminds me a bit of ColdWorld especially with the use of violins. More so in the song "God."

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 am 

morfumax wrote:

Thanks a lot, mate :)

About your Negura rec now. Negura Bunget is a pretty unique band indeed. You don't find such bands every day ;)

The closest band to them that I can recommend is Klabautamann. A pretty good German with similar albeit more "fall-ish" (as in mostly inspired by Fall than Winter) atmosphere. I guess you will enjoy them a lot :)

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:45 am 

Yo Mors, I found a comic character for you: Flag Smasher.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:00 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Yo Mors, I found a comic character for you: Flag Smasher.

Not really but thanks :p

morfumax
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:29 pm 

Ah, thanks Mors, but I already know them. oh well, the search continues.

Thundercleese
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm 

Hey guys, first time poster here, but I've been surfing this website for a while now. My request seems rather broad, but I will give this a shot anyways..

I love Viking Black Metal, but I don't really like the kind with the flutes and what-not. Example of what I am searching for would sound a lot like Enslaved's Vikingligr Veldi.

I am also looking for bands that sound like Blut aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age, as it is one of my favorite albums. I've been looking for albums in vain of that, and also bands that are truely in vain of Enslaved's Vikingligr Veldi. I have listened to these two albums probably 100 times a piece, and it seems that everything that I have personally found so far really lacks in comparison.

Any help on these two things would be much appreciated, and I have heard of a lot of black metal bands, but any suggestions are welcomed. Once this has been answered, there is also another genre that I am looking for more material in.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:46 pm 

The obvious next step from "Vikingligr Veldi" would be Helheim's "Jormundgand", provided you are prepared for something blisteringly intense.

Btw, nice ref with your screen name. :)

Thundercleese
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:49 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The obvious next step from "Vikingligr Veldi" would be Helheim's "Jormundgand", provided you are prepared for something blisteringly intense.

Btw, nice ref with your screen name. :)

Haha, thanks. I actually am also in love with Jormungandr. One of my favorites since I first got it 4 years ago. I do appreciate the recommendation though, we are on the right track. :-)

black_blunt2
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 pm 

hey guys. i'm looking for BM bands from the north eastern part of the united states. Preferably New England, basically any good bands from Maine, Vermont or New Hampshire. All i really know of is Fall of Rauros from Maine. Thanks guys

edit: just found a project from NH called Arha. but thats about it

PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:17 pm 

PrinceofEmptiness wrote:

Got a bunch of good recs. for you:

Twilight- Monument to Time End

Dernier Martyr- The World Comes to An End at the End of a Journey(compilation)

Terzij De Horde- A Rage of Rapture Against the Dying Light

Twilight Congregation- check their myspace their ep isn't out yet, but the material is really good.

Sorgeldom- Inner Receivings

Caina- Temporary Antenna

FredGarvin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:12 pm 

Thundercleese wrote:
Hey guys, first time poster here, but I've been surfing this website for a while now. My request seems rather broad, but I will give this a shot anyways..

I love Viking Black Metal, but I don't really like the kind with the flutes and what-not. Example of what I am searching for would sound a lot like Enslaved's Vikingligr Veldi.

See if any of these tickle your fancy...

Helrunar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjymhXMaWP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPIH6goT ... re=related

Obscurity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ9WwCrkaNo

Eljudner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-80vUo4 ... re=related

Kampfar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWaJ05b ... re=related

Zarrix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:42 am 

Time for some Blackened viking metal I think. Been meaning to ask about this for a while, but never came around to doing it.

Thanks for the recs.

Underkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 am 

I'm also a n00b when it comes to Black Metal. The only thing i really like so far is Burzum's 1st album. I've also enjoyed listening to Strid and Forgotten Woods. So basically i'd like to be recommended stuff similar to those bands.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:08 pm 

Sounds like you dig the depressive black metal bands man. I like your style, heres a few bands you might enjoy:

Silencer
Sterbend
Nyktalgia
Abyssic Hate
Bethlehem
Brocken Moon
Chaos Moon-(my favorite atmospheric black metal band, cannot recommend them enough)

I know its just a list of bands, but these are some of my favorites and best in the genre (a few anyways), i dont have time to list individual albums but your post caught my eye. Check em out and let me know what you think. Enjoy.

Underkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:39 pm 

Couldn't really get into Bethlehem, Brocken Moon, Chaos Moon, Silencer or Sterbend because of the vocals. Abyssic Hate and Nyktalgia were ok.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:00 pm 

Underkill wrote:
Couldn't really get into Bethlehem, Brocken Moon, Chaos Moon, Silencer or Sterbend because of the vocals. Abyssic Hate and Nyktalgia were ok.

If you like early Burzum I would rec you check out Wigrid's first album.

Underkill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:13 pm 

Wigrid were ok

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:41 pm 

I'm looking for albums (or even individual songs) with clean singing like these:

Istapp - I väntan på den absoluta nollpunkten
Blodsrit - Illdjarn

It doesn't have to be swedish (although I love that) and not too symphonic.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:23 pm 

I'm looking for raw, yet atmospheric and melodic black metal with lots of dramatic tremolo riffing. Lyrics about history, war, and nature are preferred.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:51 pm 

Except for having lyrics about occult and pagan stuff, "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" is right up your alley.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 231  Next