Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 am 

It'll be another notch lower once I get to review it.

Bolth_Mannn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:04 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
Ah, my poor little guilty pleasure album, everyone else hates it...
Not any longer! Judging from this first listen, I like it too! :beer:

Ha, I actually think that it is an undeniably shitty album built out of every element of death metal that I hate, but I get enjoyment out of it for some reason.

I got this in one of my grab bags and listened with very low expectations and I actually enjoyed it. so yeah, +1 from me too.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:22 pm 

SharpAndSlender wrote:
sisters_of_merciless wrote:
Ancient (Nor) - Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends, 5, 25.6, Melodic Black Metal

eally? Ancient is one of the most inoffensive bands I've ever heard. They're certainly not GOOD but they've never done anything interesting fenough to warrant that kind of hatred.

Seconded. Hell, it's not an excelent album by any means, but sure it has one kick ass song at least. Um sonho psychodelico. The lyrics are shitty beyond shittyness, but I really love the rifs in that song. And Kaiaphas' vocals are actually quite awesome, sounds a lot like what Shagrath sounded like in say, 1997-99.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=140058

It's only one review, but ouch. 2% is harsh, yo.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:21 pm 

Don't know if this has been posted yet. :p
http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=32567

I remember hearing some samples and it was fucking awful. The vocals are some of the most laughable out there.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 pm 

Oh come on, we all know that album is great.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm 

I remember two bands that had incredibly low average score, even with 10 reviews or more, I don't really remember. I think they were Evig Kveld and I wrestled a bear once.
Heard some songs on the latters myspace, and I obviously understand why the rating is so goddamn low. Fortunatly, both of them are removed from this site, I think. But that's actually quite fare, since both of them were hardly metal in the first place. I wrestled a bear once at least, but Evig kveld I can only guess wildly. Both because they were deleted, and I think I remember someone comparing it to techno.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:22 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Oh come on, we all know that album is a pulsating wart on the asscrack of music as we know it.

I know, it fits perfectly!

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:37 pm 

There have been projects removed from this site that are black ambient that had extremely low reviews. Shadow of Death being the first one that comes to mind.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 am 

Did shadow of death get banned or something?
I heard some Apocalypse songs when I was about 14, the same age he was when he recorded those abominations of music.
The ironic thing about him is that he always bashed Cradle of Filth, but I really found his so called growls very simular to Dani himself, but worse. I sware I could growl a hundred times better when I was 14 myself.
It's sad that kids like me always listen to shitty music, even it's metalcore or black metal that is "unholier than thou" and lack any emotions or atmosphere whatsoever. :nono:

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:13 pm 

Yes he was banned back in like 2004 or something. He was just another stereotypical black metal scene kid enthralled by the kvlt and the elitist aspects of black metal. There have been many kids like that, though youtube and myspace has broken down quite a bit of the kvlt aspects of the genre over the past few years.

Geshy
Butterfly Matron Gaia

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:59 pm 

Opeth's Blackwater Park got a 6%, or 3% or something really low. I was repulsed because that album changed my life. The reviewer said the riffs in Leper Affinity were "lifeless", but I always heard every other riff as being lifeless in comparison after I heard that song. I guess it shows music is truly subjective opinion and strictly based on how it connects with an individual.

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:58 pm 

Shadowofdeath got really awesome post-MA when he just started sitting in the Soulseek black metal chat for 12 hours a day.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

Deadbread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:20 am 

All those mentioned and 5fdp got 22% from over ten reviewers. They should have still been on here, just for the reviews which were absolute gold.

Meepeth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 am 

I'm kinda curious as to what's the lowest rated album per genre. Like what's the worst album with -core in it or -grind.

OnwardToGolgotha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:53 pm 

Holy shit, The Scythe deserves every bad thing ever said about it.

DestruicaoMetalica
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:31 am 

Zarach Baal Tharagh only has 1-3 reviews on each, but having averaged out the total amount of reviews out on all of his demos and splits etc, he has an average of 22% with 53 total reviews

KingTiger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:34 am 

shiduba wrote:
I saw that thread of highest rated albums..

Well, though using the search function it seems I'm too retarded to find this thread. *lol*

Much appreciated If anyone would provide a link.

I'm asking because I recently checked ATHEIST's "Unquestionable Presence" and was pretty impressed by the "an average of 97%/13 reviews"-ratio.
So I wondered what the highest rated albums on MA would be.

Edit:

@droneriot: Great. Thanx a lot.

_____

Last edited by KingTiger on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=64181

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:18 am 

Geshy wrote:
Opeth's Blackwater Park got a 6%, or 3% or something really low. I was repulsed because that album changed my life. The reviewer said the riffs in Leper Affinity were "lifeless", but I always heard every other riff as being lifeless in comparison after I heard that song. I guess it shows music is truly subjective opinion and strictly based on how it connects with an individual.

I think it proves that there are just a lot of fucking retards out there. Blackwater Park is beyond their comprehension. Their brain has not evolved enough to understand the level of musical brilliance that album exudes.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:25 am 

I dislike Opeth. Not intensely but they're pretty shit for the most part and the only album of theirs that manages to be more than half good was 'My Arms, Your Hearse'. Of course bashing the band is a bit silly because they're deeply entrenched in their style, not to mention their legion of fantards will gleefully blow wads of cash on whatever they release regardless of its quality.

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Blackwater Park is beyond their comprehension. Their brain has not evolved enough to understand the level of musical brilliance that album exudes.

Then I see comments like this and almost feel sorry for the band because like so many others (Tool certainly springs to mind), their fanbase is almost infinitely more unbearable and revolting than the band could ever hope to be.

HenryCrinkle31, just because one of your favourite bands is labelled as "progressive" does not suddenly qualify it as some sort of high art nor does it therefore imply that you're intellectually superior simply because you enjoy listening to their albums. It just means you happen to like the noises and shit they manage to arrange into songs.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:49 am 

Tool happens to be one of my all time favourite bands, and I resent any implied comparison to Opeth. Might as well compare Incantation to Job For A Cowboy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:57 am 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Geshy wrote:

I think it proves that there are just a lot of fucking retards out there. Blackwater Park is beyond their comprehension. Their brain has not evolved enough to understand the level of musical brilliance that album exudes.

Or maybe you have shit taste and Opeth are only a mediocre band. Yeah I think that's a better one.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Tool happens to be one of my all time favourite band.

Really? :scratch: Not that I really have anything in particular against Tool, I just would never have guessed.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:42 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Tool happens to be one of my all time favourite bands, and I resent any implied comparison to Opeth. Might as well compare Incantation to Job For A Cowboy.

I think the comparison was more between the two band's fan bases and as a fan of both bands I can certainly see how that comparison can be made. Both fan bases can have an extremely holier than thou attitude and the words "You don't get it" are the go to response to any direct criticism.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:20 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Geshy wrote:

Or maybe you have shit taste and Opeth are only a mediocre band. Yeah I think that's a better one.

Going to have to agree with Empyreal here.

My main gripe with Opeth is they try so hard to be progressive that it compromises any musical integrity they would have otherwise had. I love progressive metal, but musical value is always more important than compositional complexity.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:39 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Tool happens to be one of my all time favourite band.

Really? :scratch: Not that I really have anything in particular against Tool, I just would never have guessed.

I too, am completely baffled by this sudden revelation. For the record I dislike Tool but I blame every asshole in high school who would not shut up about them;

"Dude! They're so deep and like, progressive. You've gotta hear this one song, seriously!"

Cue sitting through the entirety of fucking 'Lateralus' while sobering up because we ran out of drinks at 1am and no where is open. Easily in the top five worst nights of my life.

But as Pfunter said, my comparison was the band's fanbases rather than the actual music.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:14 pm 

Sure, some of their arrangements are clever, but to make them out as exceptionally complex speaks of poor knowledge of music. They're basically just a psychedelic/stoner version of Nirvana.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:49 pm 

I find that Opeth have terrible arrangments. There is no skill in how they compose their songs, they just cut and paste random sections of music. In fact, thats the worst part of their music to me, the riffs are pleasant enough, and they have some nice melodies. Akerfeldt is a good vocalist too. They just can't write a song to save their lives.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:43 am 

I was referring to Tool. Opeth do have terrible arrangements.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:23 am 

I was responding to Oblargs use of "compositional complexity". I probably should have quoted it, I had the tab sitting open for a while before I got around to writing my reply.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:10 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Or maybe you have shit taste and Opeth are only a mediocre band.

No. Opeth IS awesome.

Darkes7_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:43 pm 

The problem I see quite commonly among Opeth-haters (or close) and why, I guess, Opeth fans are so tired of this (I don't yet classify as one, I really love what I've heard this far, but don't know their discography well enough), is that you basically consider combining extreme metal and melancholic parts into long songs to be bad songwriting by definition. If you don't like long songs, and prefer to have either metal or calm music, and don't like Opeth for this reason - fair enough, they definitely don't mean to be the most accessible band on Earth. But complaining about how crappy composers they are and how they can't write songs without a single argument to back it up really sounds like this and nothing else. Personally, I am impressed by how well they handle the style they've chosen, and it's a really damn difficult and challenging one. If you don't like it, fine. But saying it's worthless without any good reason is just bashing and I don't wonder why some fans can be pissed off by this.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:48 pm 

Darkes7_ wrote:
you basically consider combining extreme metal and melancholic parts into long songs to be bad songwriting by definition.

Quite a strawman you got there. Considering I have more than enough albums matching that description I really don't think that's the reason I dislike Opeth.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 pm 

Darkes7_ wrote:
The problem I see quite commonly among Opeth-haters (or close) and why, I guess, Opeth fans are so tired of this (I don't yet classify as one, I really love what I've heard this far, but don't know their discography well enough), is that you basically consider combining extreme metal and melancholic parts into long songs to be bad songwriting by definition. If you don't like long songs, and prefer to have either metal or calm music, and don't like Opeth for this reason - fair enough, they definitely don't mean to be the most accessible band on Earth. But complaining about how crappy composers they are and how they can't write songs without a single argument to back it up really sounds like this and nothing else. Personally, I am impressed by how well they handle the style they've chosen, and it's a really damn difficult and challenging one. If you don't like it, fine. But saying it's worthless without any good reason is just bashing and I don't wonder why some fans can be pissed off by this.

One of my favorite songs is A Pleasant Shade of Gray, and that's 52 minutes long.

I still can't stand Opeth.

Darkes7_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:27 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Darkes7_ wrote:
you basically consider combining extreme metal and melancholic parts into long songs to be bad songwriting by definition.

Quite a strawman you got there. Considering I have more than enough albums matching that description I really don't think that's the reason I dislike Opeth.

Then explain it. The only "criticism" regarding Opeth this far is how they have bad songwriting because they have bad songwriting, how they're trying too hard to be complex and how their fanbase sucks. That hardly gives me an idea what exactly is wrong with the band.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:36 pm 

Maybe I'll review them some day, but not today. For today, what I can tell you is that it isn't due to long song lengths, contrasting mellow melancholic parts with heavier, death/doom-y parts, or even Mikael Åkerfeldt's vocal performance, because all three of those things can be found on "Brave Murder Day", and that's a good album.

Darkes7_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:50 pm 

Well then, I'm waiting. ;)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:54 pm 

Darkes7_ wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Darkes7_ wrote:

Then explain it. The only "criticism" regarding Opeth this far is how they have bad songwriting because they have bad songwriting, how they're trying too hard to be complex and how their fanbase sucks. That hardly gives me an idea what exactly is wrong with the band.

I've written what I consider a very fair review for My Arms, Your Hearse explaining why I think they are not great, if you want to read that.

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:54 pm 

Strangely I find lot of parallels between Iron Maiden and Opeth, other than the early Opeth sound, the pattern of cult like blind veneration is another similarity.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next