Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:04 am 

Axel_Sikth wrote:
Speaking of polyrhythmic technical stuff and Meshuggah, check out Periphery. Their self-titled first album debuted not too long ago.

EDIT: "The Walk" has mad groove. Probably my favorite track off the album. Check it out.

Checking out Periphery now. Clean vocals are a little meh, but it's probably something I could get used to. I should buy this album.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:56 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Axel_Sikth wrote:
Speaking of polyrhythmic technical stuff and Meshuggah, check out Periphery. Their self-titled first album debuted not too long ago.

EDIT: "The Walk" has mad groove. Probably my favorite track off the album. Check it out.

Checking out Periphery now. Clean vocals are a little meh, but it's probably something I could get used to. I should buy this album.

Thats what I hate about most Meshuggah inspired sounding bands. I cant get into Periphery or Mnemic because of their clean vocals. I did come accross one band who at times sounds very Meshuggah like called Fracture Point. They always use an agressive style of vocals that vary. Only thing is that they arnt signed but you can buy their album through their official website.

http://www.myspace.com/fracturepoint

gazeovice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:28 pm 

RevBau wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
Axel_Sikth wrote:

Thats what I hate about most Meshuggah inspired sounding bands. I cant get into Periphery or Mnemic because of their clean vocals. I did come accross one band who at times sounds very Meshuggah like called Fracture Point. They always use an agressive style of vocals that vary. Only thing is that they arnt signed but you can buy their album through their official website.

http://www.myspace.com/fracturepoint

Hah, I remember seeing Fracture Point live, they are pretty good if you are into that sort of grooving Meshuggah sound. Seeing how you guys are into Meshuggah influenced stuff, you probably will like The Red Queen effect as well.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 pm 

Fracture Point sounded okay, but nothing terribly special. I'll need to give it another listen, more than likely. The Red Queen Effect sounds nothing like Meshuggah.

Okay, for all you Meshuggah fans, try Four Question Marks. They're the best clone band I've heard so far. Aleph is like Nothing, while Titan is more like Chaosphere, although Titan has some full-on production. You'll know what I mean when you hear it. Also try Vortice (Esp). Not as good as Four Question Marks, but they're decent enough. Haven't heard Zombie, yet.

Still deciding about Periphery, although it seems more and more likely that I'll buy it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 pm 

It just seems like Meshuggah is the only band who have perfected the sound, granit they were one of the first. It just seems like every other Meshuggah inspired sounding band is either a rip off/clone or theres too many other attributes that you have to aquire an ear for (via shitty or clean vocals or something of the sort). I would just like to come across another band with the same modern polrythmic sound maybe throwing in some thrash or groove twists with out sucking.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:48 pm 

That's why I mentioned Four Question Marks. You'll like them, trust me. ;)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:58 pm 

Ive actually heard ???? before.. and I think it was because I saw you talking about them. :lol: But I dont care for them. Dont get me wrong, they arnt a bad band by any means but they arnt for me.

123matt321
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:29 pm 

Metal Blade Records is proud to announce AS I LAY DYING will be releasing there 5th studio album THE POWERLESS RISE on May 11/10!
They have also announced their first show in Toronto, ON @ Sound Academy on July 17/10 headlining the Cool tour.

CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:01 am 

No need to post a giant picture. Shit band anyway.

New Whitechapel song's been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18GRQcONfr0

Chug chug chug.

gazeovice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:47 am 

CrownOvHorns wrote:

Chug chug chug.

It's definitely a weak song, like a rehashed version of "Possession".
It's not catchy or mosh worthy in the least, I've pretty much lost faith in the band. Did you get a load of that coverart as well man? That shit is about as generic as it gets, on a lighter note the entire world should listen to Merauder.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:56 am 

Any recommendations for bands similar to Arsonists Get All The Girls? It doesn't have to be a humorous band, but I like the experimental electro touches together with the technical deathcore.

Edit: I'd also prefer as little Suicide Silence-styled screaming as possible too.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:09 am 

CrownOvHorns wrote:

Chug chug chug.

Compared to Whitechapel? As I Lay Dying has been around way longer than Whitechapel. Their earlier albums proved to be really decent metalcore. Defining the genre well. Nevermind about the number of 'scene kids' fans they've got, cos i can say the same for Whitechapel.

CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:06 am 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
CrownOvHorns wrote:

Chug chug chug.

Compared to Whitechapel? As I Lay Dying has been around way longer than Whitechapel. Their earlier albums proved to be really decent metalcore. Defining the genre well. Nevermind about the number of 'scene kids' fans they've got, cos i can say the same for Whitechapel.

To be honest, I think they're both shit. Was just posting the Whitechapel link 'cause it might be of interest to some people.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 am 

I can say the same for the guy who posted the album cover of As I Lay Dying's new album. It might just interest some people as well. :)

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:11 am 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Any recommendations for bands similar to Arsonists Get All The Girls? It doesn't have to be a humorous band, but I like the experimental electro touches together with the technical deathcore.

Edit: I'd also prefer as little Suicide Silence-styled screaming as possible too.

Nothing? Come on there must be a few deathcore fans here who can help me out.

darkdead wrote:

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:31 am 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

Nothing? Come on there must be a few deathcore fans here who can help me out.

Maybe Born Of Osiris? Technical with a lot of keyboards and synths, although their playing style is more akin to Meshuggah and other Meshuggah influenced deathcore like After The Burial and Veil Of Maya.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:45 am 

Not much into the genre, metalcore. Haven't been listening to it and always been listening to just 4 bands of the genre: Heaven Shall Burn, As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage and All That Remains.

It's hard to find a band that has more than just breakdowns (signature metalcore sound?)

I really enjoy Within the Ruins and Godless Crusade (Italy).

Anyone considers The Breathing Process a metalcore band with many influences?

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:01 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:

Anyone considers The Breathing Process a metalcore band with many influences?

I can hear a lot of melo-BM influences. However, I think it is very diluted, and the band sounds really bland to me as a whole.

Another good metalcore band I just remembered of: Dead Blue Sky. Really emotional stuff. Their only album is from 2001, back then when metalcore band were rawer and had good ideas. It has a very depressive, passionate atmosphere all around, I find it to be a very good album for those with a broken heart, haha.

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:35 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:

You're not going to find much. I too have looked for bands like agatg and no luck. The closest I could find was nintendocore bands like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bVP9LCIBw

pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:35 pm 

Since nintendocore has been mentioned, "Horse The Band" couls also fit.

gazeovice
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:02 am 

DemonX99 wrote:
Rottenrectum wrote:

You're not going to find much. I too have looked for bands like agatg and no luck. The closest I could find was nintendocore bands like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2bVP9LCIBw
hmmmm, that's a difficult request., you'll be getting into a lot of ridiculous scene keyboard raping bands; perhaps Horse the Band?

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 am 

Highly recommending With Passion and Conducting from the Grave. Both are essentially the same band, actually. They play melodic metalcore that is technical without being too wanky.

Also, ???? is a very good Meshuggah clone.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:29 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
Highly recommending With Passion and Conducting from the Grave. Both are essentially the same band, actually. They play melodic metalcore that is technical without being too wanky.

Conducting From The Grave sounded better. Might pick up their CD.

triggerhappy wrote:
Also, ???? is a very good Meshuggah clone.

Four Question Marks are an excellent Meshuggah clone!

ZarathustraHead wrote:

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:14 pm 

why the fuck is this even on here; a metal forum of all things, with a subject about a type of music that is >banned< from these archives???

whats next, a mallcore help thread? an emo help thread?

lock this fucker please!

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:25 pm 

JWUltrablizzard wrote:
why the fuck is this even on here; a metal forum of all things, with a subject about a type of music that is >banned< from these archives???

lock this fucker please!

Seriously...

darkdead wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 pm 

JWUltrablizzard wrote:

lock this fucker please!

If you don't like it, don't fucking reply. :rolleyes:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:17 pm 

seriously though; if you're a deathcore fan, why are you even on here; given the non-metal nature of the music?

KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:19 pm 

JWUltrablizzard wrote:
seriously though; if you're a deathcore fan, why are you even on here; given the non-metal nature of the music?

Because it is possible for metalheads to like deathcore and metalcore as well. That should be obvious.
I ran out of words.

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:26 pm 

your point is? it's possible for a metalhead to like trance or hardcore dance music. It doesnt mean there should be a help thread on here.

KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:32 pm 

Because more people here are after recommendations for metalcore/deathcore than trance or hardcore dance, so it's simpler to have one large generic help thread than having multiple threads asking for deathcore/metalcore clogging up the subforum. There are occasional threads for non-metal music here besides deathcore/metalcore, just not frequent enough to justify a generic rec thread for those styles.
I ran out of words.

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:34 pm 

true, but a genre that is diametrically and openly at times opposed to metal, as well as ripping it off? does that merit inclusion on here?

KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:38 pm 

This thread certainly isn't trying to endorse metalcore/deathcore as a legitimate subgenre of metal - most people here can agree it isn't, which is why the only -core bands on the archives are those that are deemed more metal than core. Like I said, this thread is just here for practicality, nothing more. It keeps the crap in one place, I guess you could say.
I ran out of words.

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:39 pm 

maybe, but where do you draw the line with the crap; where does it end; mallcore? emo?

KerberosOfHades
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:49 pm 

The line gets drawn at deathcore and metalcore; I'd say more metalheads are more likely to enjoy Whitechapel or All Shall Perish than My Chemical Romance or Limp Bizkit, so there wouldn't be any threads for those styles made because almost no-one here would listen to those styles, which I'm guessing would be because they are far less rooted in metal than the deathcore/grindcore/metalcore. In the time I've been here I've only seen a single help thread for mallcore and none for emo, and they would most likely be locked anyway because the threads would turn into a massive shit-fight. People here who like mallcore, emo and even deathcore/metalcore are definitely a minority.
I ran out of words.

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:56 pm 

and a fucking good job that is too that they are.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:00 pm 

KerberosOfHades wrote:
In the time I've been here I've only seen a single help thread for mallcore and none for emo, and they would most likely be locked anyway because the threads would turn into a massive shit-fight. People here who like mallcore, emo and even deathcore/metalcore are definitely a minority.

Because as we clearly saw here, the people on this board doesn't respond kindly to those kinds of requests so those who want it are wise enough to look somewhere else.

darkdead wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:16 pm 

JWUltrablizzard wrote:

Excuse me, but I happen to enjoy metalcore and deathcore. I'm here because that's not all I enjoy.

It's just a thread. Get over it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:28 pm 

granted, but you can certainly leave the hall

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:31 pm 

JWUltrablizzard wrote:
granted, but you can certainly leave the hall

You know, metal has never been "cooler" or "better" than any other kind of music. It's all subjective opinion. Many of us enjoy other things as well and this section is dedicated to all kinds of music.

darkdead wrote:

JWUltrablizzard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 pm 

i didnt say you shouldnt listen to it, but that it isnt a subgenre of heavy metal, which is fact and not an opinion.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 35  Next