Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:46 pm 

It's been almost half a year again, arriving at the traditional time for the mid-spring challenge.

Quoted from the previous thread:

Sean16 wrote:
The magic number will be 610.

Please all take note of this new rule: every reviewer is allowed a maximum of FIVE SINGLES for the Challenge. Thus people willing to review a couple of singles they deem particularly important will still get the opportunity to do so, while it should prevent to have the site flooded with useless reviews for equally useless cash-grab singles from well-known bands. Of course 1)this limitation only applies to singles and 2)several reviewers can still review the same single provided it was initially a virgin.

The rules:

1. The primary aim of the Virgin Reviews Challenge, as set up by Byrgan in May 2006, is to improve the site’s quality by encouraging people to write reviews for albums with no reviews so far. During one week, MA reviewers submit as many reviews as they want/can for this kind of releases. Of course eveyrone can still write reviews for already reviewed releases, but they won’t be taken into account.

2. Every release listed on the main site is valid including singles, videos, boxed sets etc. However please note that 1) SPLIT ALBUMS will always count ONCE regardless of how many bands are playing and 2) there’s a cap at FIVE REVIEWS PER REVIEWER for SINGLES (no restrictions for other releases).

3. Eligible releases have to be virgins on the beginning of the Challenge. However several reviewers may review the same initial virgin. It will count only once, regardless of how many reviewers are involved, but each reviewer will get credited. There’s no bonus for the first one, so no need to hurry – focus on quality instead.

4. What brings me to the fourth point, VALUE QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. It’s a collective challenge, not an individual one. Mods won’t be more lenient anyway. Everyone is welcomed even if it’s only to write one review.

5. BE VERY CAUTIOUS. Main site time is the one and only reference. The Challenge always begins on a Monday at 00:00:01 and ends up on the following Sunday 23:59:59. Time in your timezone is likely to be different from MA time, even if you’re living in the United States. So again, ensure you’re posting your precious review in the right time. Also keep in mind that Forum time might be slightly different from main site time (?)

6. The total number of reviews written will be tallied once a day (under normal circumstances). After the Challenge has ended up a big list of all the reviews written will be compiled, as a monument to MA reviewers. Another list will sum up how many reviews have been written by every reviewer. Again, being on the top of this latter list won’t make your dick bigger, so value quality over quantity (didn’t I hear an echo here?)

7. As long as I’ll co-organize this challenge there will be nothing to win in the end except the Board’s eternal consideration. Deal with it :)
Sean16 wrote:
The MA Reviews Challenge Hall of Fame

General Challenge

May 2006: 75 reviews
November 2006: 110 reviews
February 2007: 231 reviews
July 2007: 239 reviews
December 2007: 274 reviews
May 2008: 322 reviews
November 2008: 360 reviews
May 2009: 609 reviews
November 2009: 489 reviews

Individual Challenge

May 2006: n/a
November 2006: Corimngul (9 reviews), 2nd Cianan (8), 3rd Peregrin (7)
February 2007: hells_unicorn (65 reviews), 2nd erickg13 (17), 3rd Sokaris (15)
July 2007: hells_unicorn (38 reviews), 2nd oneyoudontknow (17), 3rd CannibalCorpse (16)
December 2007: hells_unicorn (56 reviews), 2nd Mors_Gloria (15), 3rd Mungo (9)
May 2008: Noktorn (55 reviews), 2nd hells_unicorn (52), 3rd lord_ghengis (12)
November 2008: hells_unicorn (57 reviews), 2nd Perplexed_Sjel (42), 3rd caspian (41)
May 2009: hells_unicorn (93 reviews), 2nd DeathRiderDoom (89), 3rd OzzyApu (84)
November 2009: Perplexed_Sjel (95 reviews), 2nd iamntbatman (46), 3rd sushiman (36)

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=58207

Last edited by EntilZha on Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:18 am 

Yup, last week of may is coming soon enough. How long in advance were these things announced by thread?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 am 

Usually around two weeks, so now's about the right time.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:21 am 

Well if it does happen this year, count me in. I love doing these things.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:23 am 

Crap, completely forgot about this. I have final papers and exams the first week of June, and other exams and papers the week before that, so my schedule's gonna be pretty damn tight. I guess I'll start making a list or something of all the albums I need to jump on - really haven't done jack since the last contest.

I remember getting, what, 1 review off from being within the top 3 for the last concert? Really bummed me out. :(
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:31 am 

If Sean doesn't keep the tradition someone else needs to step up to the plate. The Challenge MUST occur. It's our site's nicest tradition.

whensunburnsred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 am 

I unconciously joined last year with my first review, but now I would try to participate actively.

Since droneriot is the OP maybe he can copy the rules from the last challenge and edit his post? Maybe we could try to get the same number of reviews that it was settled last time.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:02 pm 

I'll be participating again, but I don't really see myself getting into the top 3 this time either. Last time around I had a ton of stuff on my plate, and now although my mother's cancer treatment is just about wrapped up, I have a laundry list of other stuff going on that will interfere with me getting the kind of review numbers that I'm normally known for. Oh well, maybe this time we'll get the cumulative score up a little more.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 pm 

I'm keen to get in on it for the third time. Depending on how i am for time, i might try for a position in the top 3.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:32 pm 

Top 3 is beyond me nowadays, it used to be that I'd post 12 reviews and be a clear third, now I'd need to do like 45 which is beyond me. I'll add a couple as I always do. I don't think I even have enough virgins in my collection anymore to catch up to the leaders.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:58 pm 

I'd be down for doing this again. I might not have as many virgins as last time, though. We'll see.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 pm 

I would participate in this.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 pm 

Just a thought I just had... In case Sean16 is gone somewhere (I PM'd him, we'll see if he reacts), maybe sisters_of_merciless could make a little tool that would do all the counting and adding automatically.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:30 pm 

Apparently someone is contacting Sean16, but apparently he has found it increasingly difficult to find the time to run these challenges. looks like we may have to find someone else to run it.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:33 pm 

I also sent a PM to sisters_of_merciless just in case. :P

SharpAndSlender
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm 

This is the first challenge in a while that I'll really be participating in. Unfortunately with a fairly dense work schedule I won't be able to get as much done as I'd like but I'll do my best.

Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/noktorn01

Lepernicus wrote:
Every record that dipshit sold took away money that could have went to a far more deserving band such as Immolation.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:51 pm 

Looks easy enough. A snapshot at the beginning of the challenge, and then each day during the challenge, and again at the end, report on the total number of previously virgin albums now reviewed, and the number for each reviewer. I can almost do this already with the stats I have, except they currently ignore reviewers who only have one review. I'll see if HellBlazer will turn that filter off, and then I'll be ready.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:28 pm 

You also would have to include something for the other rules (only 5 singles allowed per reviewer, virgins deflowered after the start of the contest can be reviewed by multiple reviewers and each reviewer gets credit but no matter the number of reviews the release still only counts as a single deflowered virgin, etc.).

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 pm 

I'm never going to hit top 3 again, but I'm in. If things go well I should be able to smash out 20 or so reviews.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:01 am 

Hells_unicorn, DeathRiderDoom, me... what a line-up. Perplexed was also 4th - can't forget him, either. Incredible how us four spearheaded that contest and made it the biggest one to date.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Hells_unicorn, DeathRiderDoom, me... what a line-up. Perplexed was also 4th - can't forget him, either. Incredible how us four spearheaded that contest and made it the biggest one to date.

haha yeah. I think i'll aim high this time, but i'd like to step the qality of mine up from last time, that's for sure. I'm looking to write more than last time (around 30-40 i think).

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:25 am 

Can't it be the first week in June? Think of all those who attend the MDF.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:27 am 

Punish those lucky bastards!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:33 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Punish those lucky bastards!

Seconded. I have nothing but jealous contempt. ;)

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:00 am 

Actually I was thinking of something more along the lines of May 17th-23rd...

whensunburnsred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 am 

EntilZha wrote:

Ugh... Those are awful dates for me. I would only be able to write something on the 23rd.

sisters_of_merciless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:28 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
You also would have to include something for the other rules (only 5 singles allowed per reviewer, virgins deflowered after the start of the contest can be reviewed by multiple reviewers and each reviewer gets credit but no matter the number of reviews the release still only counts as a single deflowered virgin, etc.).

Yep, that's all easy, too. Haven't heard back from Hellblazer yet on the data...

Byrgan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 am 

sisters_of_merciless wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Yep, that's all easy, too. Haven't heard back from Hellblazer yet on the data...

I'm sure through all of Sean16's busyness, he's still going to show up here to e-punch you for making the stats so damn easy to do now. :grin:

EntilZha wrote:

I know the regulars would know about this coming up, but that seems too quick. Possibly the last week of this month or the first week of June to give some time to put together releases. Maybe some other people can post dates that work for them, so it doesn't take too long to decide and newcomers miss out on short notice. I'm sure it won't be perfect for everybody, so you could tally votes or just go for it and post a set of dates and fix it if any major complaints come up.

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm 

Hi everyone,

for those who may wonder I'm still alive and well (some might have noticed I've written a solitary review a few weeks ago...) but I am currently writing my Ph.D thesis so first I have little time on my hand, second, I must confess, I don't really feel like compiling big lists of reviews in the evening after having been compiling big lists of results during the day.

I'll be finished with the "painful" part of the writing soon, however. That doesn't mean I'll have lot of free time, but I'll probably be able to organise this challenge again...

So here is the deal :

the week I am suggesting : 7th June to 13th June.

Before this is IMPOSSIBLE, don't bother asking.

The few following weeks should be alright, and July will be impossible again (though if I remember well no one is really fond of July anyway).

If you don't want to wait for another month feel free to organize the Challenge, this isn't my stuff for the slightest - hell, the original idea isn't even mine! And I'll even gladly cooperate by writing a couple of reviews (but not more - and NOT doing the counting).

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:55 pm 

I was busy with my studies the last time around but I ll be totally free after the 20th. So maybe I ll try to break my record of 2 reviews this time :p.

I ll be happier with sean16's dates rather than what drone suggested, although there isnt a major problem with the latter.

MaDTransilvanian

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:45 pm 

Either one works well for me as well. The more you push it back, the more time I'll have to gather forces :D.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:51 pm 

Sean16's date of 7th June to 13th June is preferred by me, too, as I should have more time free then.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:59 pm 

I'll be finishing up summer school by then, so it'll be a good finale for me.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:28 pm 

Great, have been waiting for this. I hope to squeezoe some in despite my busy curriculum.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

whensunburnsred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:33 pm 

I also prefer Sean16's dates, but in my case anything but the 16-23 week of May would be ok.

By the way, an hour ago or so a review of mine got accepted and I got the message twice in my mail box, and I'm fairly sure that I got 10 points. So I think some error happened and some mod/admin should take 5 points away from me.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:23 pm 

I should be able to get in a few at whatever date, but earlier would definitely yield more reviews from me. Sweet - at least we've got a date then, i was starting to get worries this tradtion wouldn't be moving ahead

Malacoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:30 am 

Holy shit: Perplexed_Sjel (95 reviews)

That's insane. I will absolutely be participating, but I think I'll get in something closer to like...10. At most. Any time AFTER May 15 works for me.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:41 am 

This fits in right after my tour with Di'Anno and before a couple other out of town dates i think. Had a feeling it was gonna be a clash. Just double checked :)

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 am 

In an hour I have a doctor's appointment, then I'll know when my surgery will be scheduled, then I can tell you exactly which week I don't want.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:29 am 

Damn, that week isn't great for me, but I wasn't planning on going all out anyway. I'll definitely submit a few though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next