Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MorrisDayAndTheTime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 am 

Apparently Peter Steele died of heart failure? Is this true? It's all over twitter and all that jazz

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 am 

http://www.metalinjection.net/bummer-al ... rt-failure
This is all i could find its not on blabbermouth yet, probably will be soon.

Lippyass Major
Mens Mentis Minor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 am 

This sucks. R.I.P. Peter Steele. (pulls out the old Playgirl from under the mattress and cries)

Seriously though, you will be missed.

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:00 am 

I find this suspect after all the 'Peter's Dead' and 'Band has broken up' jokes that have circulated. If true, this is what he gets for converting to Christianity.

flexodus
Metalhead

For the love of God, please do not let this be true... Peter Steele was one of the single most talent songwriters to grace the metal genre. I've been eagerly waiting for a followup to Dead Again, and it's been one of my life goals to see Type O Negative (or maybe even Carnivore) perform live someday. His music impacted my music tastes a great deal, and seeing him pass on would ruin me, even if he lived to be 80 and released 10 more albums. I can't help but always want more of his music.

To quote the man himself: "Don't die on me... Dooooooon't diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...."

:(
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

fuck.....really? man. it all sounds legit too.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Soulofsteel820
Metal newbie

I just heard about this about two hours ago. A friend of mine, Mike from Theater of the Absurd, received word from Henry Yuan who works for MetalKult, who was with the bassist from Seventh Void. Such a fucking shame. He'll definately be missed.

Type O will now be played in my house non stop for a week. RIP.

http://www.last.fm/user/Soulofsteel820

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:03 am 

IT FEELS LIKE A DEATH
A DEATH
A DEATH IN THE FAMILY

:(

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 am 

EVERYONE I LOVE IS...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:06 am 

I'm still skeptical about the whole thing, not the first time this has happened.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:06 am 

Well, damn. I still haven't really dug too deep into his work, but Dead Again is a great album full of kickass riffs and a tremendous vocal approach...can't say I know too much about the man himself but this is definitely a real shame. RIP.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:11 am 

The only shame is that he could have been a role model for his fans, instead he wasted his time on earth getting wasted on stage.

shiduba
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:11 am 

If this is really true this time, RIP. He's a great singer and musician, I haven't really listened to much Type O yet but what I've heard has been great. Another great musician dead...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:13 am 

Expedience wrote:
The only shame is that he could have been a role model for his fans, instead he wasted his time on earth getting wasted on stage.

What did you expect? He was in type o negative, not Minor Threat. Some people...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:13 am 

Expedience wrote:
Can you blame him? The majority of his fans were 16 year old goth girls and a bunch of retards.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 am 

Not cool ... absolutely not cool.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:15 am 

God, if people make rumors about dead musicians, at least not use the same ones over and over again. 'They' did Pete Steele a few years back.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Expedience wrote:
Can you blame him? The majority of his fans were 16 year old goth girls and a bunch of retards.

Isn't that the case for most metal bands out there?

Lippyass Major
Mens Mentis Minor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:19 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:
Expedience wrote:

Can you picture a goth at a Motorhead show? Manowar? Judas Priest?

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:20 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Expedience wrote:

I immediately thought of this:

Noktorn wrote:
I saw Type O Negative live in early 2007. Peter Steele, who had just gotten out of prison and recently broken his cocaine addiction, looked older and more haggard than I'd ever seen him before. There was a certain hopelessness and apathy about his performance: most of the notes on his bass were hammered, and he generally seemed to not want to be there, despite the uptempo and (more) fun nature of the songs. But moreover, there was an acute depression about him: as he gazed on the audience, composed almost entirely of teenaged goth girls, all dolled up for their weekend concert, and the boys they dragged along with them (who were clearly hoping they could get laid if they only dressed up and acted to part enough), you could practically hear him thinking "This is not what I wanted." Perhaps the precise moment where you could see his heart break is when every little girl in the audience delightedly sung on with set closer 'Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All)', completely unaware, or perhaps not even caring, that the lyrics were squarely about them. Peter Steele won't play material off 'World Coming Down' because it reminds him of the worst part of his life: I had no idea that it was an album about the future.

Easily the best TON review on the site.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 am 

FierceBlackandWicked wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:
Expedience wrote:

Can you picture a goth at a Motorhead show? Manowar? Judas Priest?

Goths can and will be everywhere.

BloodandDope
ANTIFA Cheerleader (now with PMS!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 am 

FierceBlackandWicked wrote:

Can you picture a goth at a Motorhead show?.......Judas Priest?

Seen it.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:35 am 

Apparently more twitter updates from Peter's friends and family are confirming his death... the official Type O Negative forums have been locked as well. Bad signs, it seems. :(

http://forum.typeonegative.net/

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:37 am 

i don't see any reason why this wouldn't be true. there's no new record to get hyped about, or anything Type O related, to pull a prank and get them in the news. if these were just rumors, i doubt they'd be coming from people like Mistress Julia and Kenny Hickey for fucks sake. it's not a funny joke at all to say someone died. this is crushing news, my whole body sank when i saw the feed from blabbermouth shoot up on the side of my screen. :cry:

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 am 

Soulofsteel820 wrote:
I just heard about this about two hours ago. A friend of mine, Mike from Theater of the Absurd, received word from Henry Yuan who works for MetalKult, who was with the bassist from Seventh Void. Such a fucking shame. He'll definitely be missed.

Type O will now be played in my house non stop for a week. RIP.

Hey, I know Henry Yuan. Cool dude, small world.

On topic: I never really got into Type O, but I've always had an immense amount of respect for their attitude towards their music. They write some seriously dark and depressing shit, but always have a sense of humor about it, and that's a really great combination.

RIP big guy.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 am 

Kutulu wrote:
I find this suspect after all the 'Peter's Dead' and 'Band has broken up' jokes that have circulated. If true, this is what he gets for converting to Christianity.

uh, i think Peter himself said that he was always a "foxhole Atheist", meaning that on the outside he didn't believe in God, but when serious situations arose he always had faith inside. don't be surprised if Peter pulled another one over on you and everyone else for years. that's still no reason for wishing death on him, you should be kicked the fuck out of here.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 am 

Shit, I hope it's not true, but it's starting to look that way..

Oberst_Orlok_SS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 am 

It's a little too soon to determine if this is a hoax or not in light of past publicity stunts.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:04 am 

they pulled the RIP peter shit a few years ago, and it was met with a ton of criticism and was very untasteful for a joke. give me one reason why they would try it again.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
they pulled the RIP peter shit a few years ago, and it was met with a ton of criticism and was very untasteful for a joke. give me one reason why they would try it again.

You just named two.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:15 am 

hope this is not true, pete has one of the most unique vocals ive ever heard and a wicked sense of humor, but saddly this seems very real acording to this twiter messages http://kikaxemusic.com/news/rip/526-rip ... -1962-2010

i think the whole skeptisism about his death reminds a bit of andy kaufman controversy when he died

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:20 am 

Twitter updates by people who do not know him personally aren't really reliable.

I think it's best to wait for an official announcement..maybe the april fools was 2 weeks late :/

Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 am 

Well, I've always been proud of Peter for changing his life around. Him and Phil Anselmo both. I'm glad Peter found God, and I see nothing unmetal about that...it's what his heart feels and metal and music is from the heart. I believe in God and respect that...even if he didn't believe in Him like so many of my heroes don't, I'd still respect him. Believing in God is an added bonus though. ;)

I thought Dead Again was an awesome record and I still listen to it. That album sorta resurrected my interest in Type O after not listening to them for years. I went as far as to buy World Coming Down again. Great albums and amazing melodies.

RIP soldier
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

Kutulu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
that's still no reason for wishing death on him, you should be kicked the fuck out of here.
I didn't realize I was wishing death upon him? Tasteless joke for a band known for tasteless jokes?

Besides the irony of him kicking his habits and finding god only to bite it is kind of humorous. Lot of good it did him. Damage done, I guess.

Or the irony of him spreading rumors of his death and than him actually dying and people questioning the news' validity.

I guess since this news is seeming more and more factual I will play their two best albums(World Coming Down, Life is Killing Me) in memoriam.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:22 am 

You forgot Slow Deep and Hard.

KommunistKonrad
Rip-off fartist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 am 

This is very bad news(if true). I love TON.

Uncolored
Death Metal Fundamentalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:27 am 

if it's true: rip :(

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand

I never check forum messages, don't bother write me here. thanx

Kutulu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:28 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:
You forgot Slow Deep and Hard.
I think all of their stuff is pretty top notch with the exception of Dead Again, but I would take the two I mentioned and Carnivore's stuff way over everything else. I would rank SDH and The Origin of Feces just a bit above Dead Again and a tad below October Rust.

KommunistKonrad
Rip-off fartist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:36 am 

Dead Again was much better than World Coming Down though.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:37 am 

Kutulu wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:
that's still no reason for wishing death on him, you should be kicked the fuck out of here.
I didn't realize I was wishing death upon him? Tasteless joke for a band known for tasteless jokes?

Besides the irony of him kicking his habits and finding god only to bite it is kind of humorous. Lot of good it did him. Damage done, I guess.

Or the irony of him spreading rumors of his death and than him actually dying and people questioning the news' validity.

alright, i can see it from your perspective. i was quoting in a blind fury of rage and didn't bother seeing your post count or join date. i thought you were a troll, and no troll would get away with 6 years on these forums.. no hard feelings.

anyways, i'm starting to now see stories that say "Peter Steele Confirmed Dead at 48" instead of rumored dead. nothing is loading due to heavy user traffic though, and Blabbermouth isn't working for me at all, i think it crashed.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next