Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
johnny_69
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:10 pm 

Done... they are unsigned now, notes on cd specify label for their album release

badalari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:26 am 

Hi all, I'm from Argentina so my english is not very good.
I've submited twice my band called "Arca Belica" and it was rejected twice too. Mail says "this band has no apparent discography" but I have added a 2007 demo that we sell on our live presentations and it also was upload on our myspace (www.myspace.com/arcabelica) if you want to listen it.

Please, answer me.
Thanks and regards.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 am 

READ FIRST POST. Is it that hard to miss?

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:32 am 

Edit: Fanfarigoule beat me to it.

badalari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:49 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
READ FIRST POST. Is it that hard to miss?

that was for me?
this is not a discussion forum for band's submitions?

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 am 

It was for you. Read the original post first and then we can discuss. Why do you want to bypass the procedures?

badalari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
It was for you. Read the original post first and then we can discuss. Why do you want to bypass the procedures?

Ok I'm sorry, so I didn't understand the first post very well, wrong post I guess.
Please can you send me the link for these discussions?

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:04 am 

The first post of this thread. Click on page 1, it's on top.

badalari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
The first post of this thread. Click on page 1, it's on top.

Yes, I read it but I don't understand the rules or that you try to say to me

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 am 

It's not my fault if you don't understand English, it's strange, though, seeing how you can express yourself. Well, I don't know, use an online translator.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:28 am 

no, the first post does not explain matters well ... damn, is it soo difficult to explain the stuff in a short listing?

- physical release:

- release date:

- evidences:

this gibberish from the rules is certainly not helpful.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am 

Yeah, of course, now it's the staff's fault. :rolleyes: Users should know what to do only by reading the rules, the first post is just a plus. We will not babysit every user.
I don't see how your listings are supposed to explain things better.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:

A proper done listing would make things more transparent and users would be able to focus on the core aspects of the rules without being distracted by some gibberish, which is totally unrelated to the topic. Make a short, make it transparent... you could also give some hints on the site's stance towards MP3-only bands.

edit:
Fanfarigoule wrote:
We will not babysit every user.

Certainly not, but a lot of time and energy is wasted because users have no proper site to turn to, in case some questions on the submissions exist; to name one example.

My podcast:

badalari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:08 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Yeah, of course, now it's the staff's fault. :rolleyes: Users should know what to do only by reading the rules, the first post is just a plus. We will not babysit every user.

Ok, it doesn't matter, tell me please what I need to do a claim for my rejected submission

thanks.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am 

Show us a photo (not the cover) of your demo.

badalari
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 am 

Fanfarigoule wrote:
Show us a photo (not the cover) of your demo.

Ok I will do it.
Thanks for the patience .... my personal babysit.

:P

griekis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:32 pm 

Why Rage(UK) has been delited from site?
Band has 3 albums
I have heard 2 albums ''Nicve N Dirty'' and ''Out Of Control''
It was metal for me , ok lil glam rock style to, but more metal how Motley Crue ???
Whats a reason for deliting it?

PS sorry for my english ,

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:50 pm 

http://metal-archives.com/board/viewtop ... ge#1509065

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:30 pm 

How about revising the first post to this format or something similar:

There are two main reasons for band rejections: lack of releases and lack of metal. The third is lack of evidence on either the existence of the band or the releases.

1. Releases

The MA only accepts bands that have a physical release. That means that the band must have a CD, a tape, a vinyl, or a release in some other physical format available. MP3s will not do, as won't videos on YouTube or MySpace. Online "releases" are a thing of today among some people, yes, but we require at least one physical release. Also, the release must already be available at the time of the submission, next week is not good enough.

2. Metalness

The second requirement is more difficult to assess as accurately as the existence of a physical release, but the staff here mostly knows what is metal and what isn't. Mistakes do happen, and if you are absolutely certain a mistake has been done, show us the band's music and we'll listen. Do not argue the decisions. This thread is a a court of appeals, not a shouting match. If you act rudely and/or refuse to accept the decision, you might get banned. And provide samples, otherwise it will not lead to anything.

3. Evidence

If you submit a band, it's your task to provide the mods with evidence. A band's MySpace page or MP3s uploaded somewhere will work well as evidence on the metalness, but the problems usually encountered concern the existence of a physical release. A good quality digital photograph of a CD and a case is a good way to provide evidence, as is a distro list distributing it or a mention on a label website. Reviews on respectable and well-known websites are acceptable, too. However, a crude band website mentioning a demo casually, with no information on the format, no links or email addresses for ordering it, no cover art, or cover art that does not seem convincing (bad photoshops, MS Paint, etc.) are not enough. The required amount of evidence is decided by the moderator, and the evidence must be supplied by the submitter.

Before posting, please think through every point on this list, and try to figure out with your common sense what might be wrong. Also, check the email feedback box under your profile on the database, and you'll get the reasons for rejections via email. The moderator will include a description of the problem. If all this does not help, ask about the band ON THIS THREAD. Do NOT start a new one asking "why didn't you accept Vomit Sodomy?!? they are metal and have The Undead Muessin out next month!! Assholes!". We won't bite, unless you start barking.

Thank you.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:53 pm 

Updated.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm 

We were kinda supposed to be discussing it first, but OK. :)

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:55 pm 

If that was the first post on this thread when I first got here, a lot of my inquiries would of been solved before they where even asked. A lot more straight-forward and streamlined compared to the rules on the main-site. :thumbsup:

The only thing it is possibly missing are rules on non-metal side-projects, specifically the difference between worldwide shipping and worldwide distribution.

ZOID_ENT
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:11 pm 

The band was denied for being not metal. I would offer Black Reflections, five of you and I think there's something wrong as proof the band is in fact metal. Plus, Kyriakos "Charlie" Tsiolis (Aftermath Chicago) and Joe Nunez (Soulfly) are in the band. The music from their vinyl release can be heard on their myspace page.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 pm 

Hey Napero, the wording in the first section ("Releases") is a little strange. Not that it matters much, but the last sentence:

Quote:
Also, the release must already be available at the time of the submission, next week is not good enough.

Might be interpreted to mean that bands who only have metal releases that are long since out of print and generally unavailable aren't acceptable. How about something like this:

Quote:
Finally, the release(s) must have been physically released by the time of the band's submission. Upcoming releases don't qualify.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Quote:
Finally, the release(s) must have been physically released by the time of the band's submission. Upcoming releases don't qualify.

I wanted to mention it too!! actually with such too much idiots flooding on the site!! you probably gonna open another door for em to add releases alltogether 1 day or 2 day before the official release date :lol:

Quote:

This one match much better, good job "iamntbatman"

chaosinborn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 am 

My band was just rejected.

Radamanthys. 3 Track Demo.

Physical proof of release.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/C ... /Front.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/C ... n/Back.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/C ... n/Open.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/C ... n/Side.jpg

Drowned
Tenebrous Apparition

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:43 am 

chaosinborn wrote:

You can resubmit. I rejected it because clicking on "CDs" in your merchandise section redirects you to a download link for the demo.

chaosinborn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:47 am 

Thanks.

Re-submmited.

oneyoudontknow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:56 am 

Byrain wrote:
If that was the first post on this thread when I first got here, a lot of my inquiries would of been solved before they where even asked. A lot more straight-forward and streamlined compared to the rules on the main-site. :thumbsup:

The only thing it is possibly missing are rules on non-metal side-projects, specifically the difference between worldwide shipping and worldwide distribution.

It is a step in the right direction, but the issue with the side-projects should be addressed as well as the ominious world-wide distribution rule.

My podcast:

Avaruusnuija
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:55 am 

My band Siknis got rejected. We DO have our demo on physical release, you can even order it by mailing to [email protected], do I really have to take a f*cking picture of the case? And if I have to, where do I mail it?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:58 am 

Pictures go on www.imageshack.us and are linked to in the additional notes of the submission. The first post of this thread used to mention that, but it appears Napero forgot that bit in his version.

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 pm 

In the vein of the abovementioned revised rules maybe this would be a good addition:

Side-projects

Side projects can only be entered when they follow the following rules:
- it is something a member of an MA- featured band has done while still in that band while not being a solo-project.
- the side project is released on a label with world wide distribution. This means that the label ships it's products to shops around the world and not only directly to the customer.

Remember that side-projects are highly borderline most of the time so the final decision is made by the moderators and their final say is what counts and settles the matter whether a side project can be flisted on the MA or not!

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:45 am 

Rob1 wrote:
- it is something a member of an MA- featured band has done while still in that band while not being a solo-project.

I can definitely agree with clarifying the side-project rule, but why not a solo project? Solo projects can still be side projects. For example, Geddy Lee, Philip Lynott, Ty Tabor, Jerry Gaskill, and Glenn Danzig (among others I'm sure) are all solo side projects while the member was in the main band, and they're all here. Granted, some used session musicians for some instruments, but still, as long as the side project is done while the member is still in the main band and has worldwide distribution, it should be acceptable (unless another rule interferes, such as the "no cover bands" rule, which prevents Kevin DuBrow being added; his sole album was just a cover album).

pk_shredd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:43 pm 

hey guys, I tried to put up my band on here and got a message saying we aren't "metal enough" ok, I can see that for our old stuff, but I think I can change your mind.

Plus, my two side projects were nothing but metal, Emissary (medford, OR) and Warmonger (ashland, OR) not sure if Warmonger has a page here, but myspace,com/oregoncrust.

Anyway, I guess last.fm doesnt stream full songs anymore, bummer. Listen to His Ship Made a Blur of the Universe, the whole way through and tell me its not metal.

http://www.reverbnation.com/frogburd

thanks for the appeal,
PK

Last edited by pk_shredd on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 pm 

pk_shredd wrote:
hey guys, I tried to put up my band on here and got a message saying we aren't "metal enough" ok, I can see that for our old stuff, but I think I can change your mind.

Plus, my two side projects were nothing but metal, Emissary (medford, OR) and Warmonger (ashland, OR) not sure if Warmonger has a page here, but myspace,com/oregoncrust.

Anyway, I guess last.fm doesnt stream full songs anymore, bummer. Listen to His Ship Made a Blur of the Universe, the whole way through and tell me its not metal.

http://www.reverbnation.com/frogburd

thanks for the appeal,
PK

I haven't heard your music yet but if the myspace link is a forebearer of what music it is I think it won't be accepted unless it's more metal than Crust.
But well, I ain't a mod so just wait for what they decide!

pk_shredd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:01 pm 

my crust band isnt up for review, FrogBurd is.

.....and how is crust not metal? Did you listen? What are the guidelines on being metal? I thought it was about the emotions and feelings music brought you. If its heavy, shreddy, dark or doomy, usually I call that metal, regardless of subject matter or appearance.

Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:07 pm 

First post updated with the various suggestions.

~Guest 193166
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:18 pm 

pk_shredd wrote:

.....and how is crust not metal? Did you listen? What are the guidelines on being metal? I thought it was about the emotions and feelings music brought you. If its heavy, shreddy, dark or doomy, usually I call that metal, regardless of subject matter or appearance.

Crust is a subgenre of hardcore punk and it has nothing to do with metal at all. It is not acceptable on M-A. Bands that are more weighted towards valid metal genres, however, will be accepted (only if they meet the the remaining requirements in the rules, of course). Read the guidelines.

http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php#metal

non-acceptable genres wrote:
Grindcore (and all its variants; noise, crust, etc) with little to zero metal influence (ex: Anal Cunt, Libido Airbag)

Death/grind = OK. Noisegrind, crustcore, jazz/grind, heavy punk/hardcore, etc. = Not OK.

DrBusey
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:15 pm 

I went to submit Son of Aurelius, and I got a message claiming they had been previously denied for not being metal. Could someone explain this to me please?

Rob1
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:25 am 

pk_shredd wrote:

I've listened to the music through your link but didn't find any Metal there. Nice music, yes! Metal, No!
There is no riffing whatsoever. It sounds more like a toned down instrumental version of Early Rush and they are not on the archives for their first albums.
But like I said: I am no mod so let them decide if it is good enough or not!

This is just my humble and honest opinion!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 541  Next