Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:16 pm 

All right, gotcha. I've seen stores like that and it always pisses me off. If something extreme happened to keep the place closed, they should have posted a notice on the door or at least told the business next door what was going down.

ksbluesfan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:48 pm 

mot_the_barber wrote:
I'm looking for a shop in the Kansas City area. The college-rock store here in Lawrence used to have a decent metal collection, but they got rid of most of it when they moved, aside from some sludge bands and other groups that have hipster cred like Mastodon.

So, did you have any luck finding a good shop? Does Streetside Records in Westport have a good selection? Their jazz selection is great, but I'm not sure what else they have.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:13 pm 

Are there any metal shops in Tennessee?

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:16 pm 

This is a ridiculous question, but are there any metal shops in Vegas? I doubt it, but, if so, I need to know!

blackblood666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm 

The_Krusher wrote:

No metal exclusive shops, but there are a few places that sell metal, mostly around Nashville.

FYE on West End Ave. in Nashville has a metal section. Its a good place to buy new stuff from fairly well known bands. Most of their CDs are $9.99 too so the prices are pretty good for new albums.

The Great Escape on Broadway in Nashville gets some used metal every once in a while. I would recommend looking in the "New Arrivals" section though, as it usually gets snatched up before it can be filed away under Pop/Rock. The second location on Charlotte Pk recently bought a huge collection of metal CDs and LPs, although most of the good stuff is gone now. They had some rare Iron Maiden albums selling for close to $200 at one point.

Grimeys in Nashville it a pretty lame ass hipster store, but every once in a while I have been surprised. A few Sunn O))) vinyls and Destruction's Live Without Sense have popped up amongst the indie rock garbage.

Phonoluxe on Nolensville Rd in Nashville has a small metal CD section. Some good stuff in there but with prices up to $25 or $30 (non rare) used CDs is a bit ridiculous. Plus the employees are fucking rude.

Digital Planet in Murfreesboro has two locations. The one in the square has a few heavy, power, and thrash metal vinyls but nothing really spectacular. The one by the mall has a metal CD section that occasionally has some cool stuff (Sarcofago, Blood Storm), but mostly has shit (Bring Me the Horizon, Lordi).

The Rhythm Section in Gatlinburg (right on the Parkway) has a respectable collection of metal CDs. Some fairly hard to find stuff but nothing special. Also a few pretty cool tshirts and some vinyls.

Those are the stores in Tennessee that I know of that sell metal. Sorry if you don't live in middle (or east) Tennessee because this little list wont help you very much.

trashedandgashed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:44 pm 

Live in Guelph Ontario, and the music selection here is complete shit. Any suggestions in cities/towns OTHER than Toronto? I can't say I'm ever really there, and it's a major inconvenience. Help much appreciated!

BlackenedThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:05 am 

Anyone know any in Dallas, Texas? or around of that area.

Marwyn_Blackstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:47 pm 

blackblood666 wrote:
The_Krusher wrote:

No metal exclusive shops, but there are a few places that sell metal, mostly around Nashville.

FYE on West End Ave. in Nashville has a metal section. Its a good place to buy new stuff from fairly well known bands. Most of their CDs are $9.99 too so the prices are pretty good for new albums.

The Great Escape on Broadway in Nashville gets some used metal every once in a while. I would recommend looking in the "New Arrivals" section though, as it usually gets snatched up before it can be filed away under Pop/Rock. The second location on Charlotte Pk recently bought a huge collection of metal CDs and LPs, although most of the good stuff is gone now. They had some rare Iron Maiden albums selling for close to $200 at one point.

Grimeys in Nashville it a pretty lame ass hipster store, but every once in a while I have been surprised. A few Sunn O))) vinyls and Destruction's Live Without Sense have popped up amongst the indie rock garbage.

Phonoluxe on Nolensville Rd in Nashville has a small metal CD section. Some good stuff in there but with prices up to $25 or $30 (non rare) used CDs is a bit ridiculous. Plus the employees are fucking rude.

Digital Planet in Murfreesboro has two locations. The one in the square has a few heavy, power, and thrash metal vinyls but nothing really spectacular. The one by the mall has a metal CD section that occasionally has some cool stuff (Sarcofago, Blood Storm), but mostly has shit (Bring Me the Horizon, Lordi).

The Rhythm Section in Gatlinburg (right on the Parkway) has a respectable collection of metal CDs. Some fairly hard to find stuff but nothing special. Also a few pretty cool tshirts and some vinyls.

Those are the stores in Tennessee that I know of that sell metal. Sorry if you don't live in middle (or east) Tennessee because this little list wont help you very much.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I was in the Broadway Great Escape this weekend and found some good stuff. If your into 80's shit they have a ton of good vinyl I left some Loudness and Sanctuary records I didn't have enough cash for I've been kicking myself about.

Tomhet666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:18 am 

Western New York. particularly Buffalo/Williamsville area

AbbathBM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 am 

Marag wrote:
I doubt I'll get any results, but whatever...

Is there any store metal stores in Campinas or Vinhedo, in Brazil?

I don't know any in Campinas or Vinhedo, but here in São Paulo (pretty close, come on), you could go to the Galeria do Rocker, near republica subway stations.. there are still many good shops in there, but if you are into the more extremes genres of metal I would recommend you go to the somber music virtual store... pretty cheap for our standards.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:00 am 

Okay so in London I have found a place called Metal Militia, they have a bunch of shirts and patches etc. Cheaper to order on online but it is nice to be able to see the stuff firsthand and try it on (and not much is cheap here in any case); I wasn't there too long as my two friends were bored shitless but as an example I bought a Beherit t-shirt for 15 pounds (original price was 17 - yikes!) and five patches for 10 pounds.

There are three branches:

29B Stables Market
Camden
NW1 8AH

27 Oxford Street
W1D 2DP

279 Camden High Street
NW1 7BX

As for bars/clubs, I've only been to The Intrepid Fox (heaviest thing they played was the song 'Black Sabbath'; heard they are under new management now) and The Hobgoblin, which was a mix of punks, goths and metalheads, and even a couple of skinheads outside. Not sure about the music as some punk band was playing and the place was severely crowded so I was outside mostly annoying people as usual.

Kosmic_Sacrifice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:18 pm 

Going to Krakow, Poland next week. Any decent metal stores/bars (black/death mainly) there?
Thanks.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:25 pm 

blackblood666 wrote:
The_Krusher wrote:

Thanks a lot. Next time I go to Gatlinburg I'll make sure to check out that place. I don't really ever go near Nashville though.

Marwyn_Blackstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:03 pm 

Missed Rhythm section on that list. I was in there about 2 years ago and remember it had a pretty awesome selection. Had some stuff I would have loved to have had now that I wasn't interested in then dammit lol.

Heretic1689
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:14 am 

Anyone know of any stores in calgary, alberta with a really good selection of metal cd's?

corpXe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:01 am 

Anything around Peterborough/Cambridgeshire UK?

AngelofDeath777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:02 pm 

There is a town called McHenry in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. Theres a music store there called Vinyl Frontier. they have all types of music, but they have had some pretty good metal stuff there. Last time I went there I found a Metal Church Vinyl and a Bolt Thrower CD. The prices are usually really great as well. Its no Metal Haven, but it's a really cool store.

iglumajor666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:19 am 

hey could you please tell me where to find a good metal shop in helsinki???

Igor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 am 

Anybody from Germany
can help me out with music, antiques & military shops locations in Köln please?
Gonna visit this city soon.
Danke,
Igor

TheEmeraldFirmament
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm 

Any metal shops in Alabama, particularly around Birmingham or Mobile?

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:50 am 

Bolth_Mannn wrote:
I need to find a metal shop in Gold Coast, Australia.

Sorry for the late reply, mate but in Burleigh Heads where I go up to every now and again, we stay at this apartment that is down the road from a strip of shops. I can't be specific on names as I can't remember but on that main, local street there was a music shop not dedicated to metal but it did have a Darkthrone CD in there. That same street had this odd, out of place witchcraft shop (only meters from the sunny beach, mind you) that I picked up Satyricon and Enthroned shirts from. They had a pretty good but small selection of metal shirts in there.

They were nothing amazing but the fact they were located in such a surfer dominated area is nothing short of amazing.

Pravy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 am 

A few more around Boston.

Infection records. It's more of a distro, but Charlie has been known to let people into his basement to go through his stuff. Thousands of records and CD's.
http://www.myspace.com/charlieinfection

In Your Ear on Commonwealth Ave has some decent metal but it's mostly 70's and 80's stuff.

And for NYC check out Hospital records. He does a lot of Neo-filk type stuff but has some amazing imports and lots of rare black metal vinyl.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:42 pm 

Marwyn_Blackstar wrote:
Missed Rhythm section on that list. I was in there about 2 years ago and remember it had a pretty awesome selection. Had some stuff I would have loved to have had now that I wasn't interested in then dammit lol.

I went today and picked up Convulse - World Without God, Entombed - Left Hand Path, and Carcass - Necrotism. They have a damn fine selection of metal cds for a shop that doesn't specialize in metal. It was a little on the expensive side, but I'll definately stop by again the next time I go to Gatlinburg.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:01 pm 

Quick - someone in Southern California tell me what Dark Realm's hours are!

DethCubeK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:51 pm 

Asked this before but didn't get a response.

Does anyone know some shops with good metal sections in Den Bosch, NL?

MERCILESS_ONSLAUGHT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:55 pm 

Any good Underground Cd shops In Vancouver BC?

dethdude9
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:14 pm 

i would love to be able to find a metal shop in Omaha, NE. no such luck though...i got lost in a corn field...

UmbraNihil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 pm 

LOLORDx wrote:
Anything around the greater Cleveand area in Ohio?

Would be interested as fuck to know.

There is My Mind's Eye Records in Lakewood.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:10 am 

Are there any stores in northwest indiana?

Gado911
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:15 pm 

Anything near Ottawa, Ontario in Canada??

chan5586
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:41 am 

To all those looking for shops in NYC, i stumbled upon this list from google: http://www.metalkult.com/news/metalkult ... rd-stores/

Pretty informative. Definitely gonna check some of these out when I'm up there next month. Hospital Records in particular sounds awesome.

meganerd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:22 pm 

I second Zion's Gate in Seattle. Very goofy place with an ever-expanding and rather obscure (but not comprehensive) metal section (Vlad Tepes, Root, Winter, even Ildjarn) plus patches, shirts, vinyl, demos, promos, and run by some legitimate weirdos. Pricey though.

Also, I used to work for a small local chain called Silver Platters. They're an excellent generalist store with branches in Seattle Center, Northgate (the two best ones), South Center, and Crossroads Mall near Bellevue. Nothing really obscure but the best chance of finding the "big names" of underground metal (you know, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Mayhem, Darkthrone, etc.) in the Seattle area. It's worth mentioning that some VERY knowledgible jazz and classical fans work there as well, and they looove talking about it.

In Anchorage, AK, you might find something useful at Mammoth Music on 5th Ave. but we're pretty used to mail order up here...

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:46 pm 

New Haven, Connecticut? I will be going there over the summer.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Bobby_Typhoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 pm 

In Las Vegas for a TDY until the middle of April, any good shops or even bars to hang at?

Mantis44
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:01 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
How did I not see this sticky? Shit..

Anybody know a good store around the Colorado Springs area?

There are 5 Independent Records in the Springs (two stores on Platte, one down in Security/Widefield, one in Old Colorado City on 31st St., and one downtown on Bijou St.), 1 up in Denver, and 1 in Pueblo.

Don't steal all the good stuff :|

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:10 pm 

Mantis44 wrote:
Necropleasurist wrote:
How did I not see this sticky? Shit..

Anybody know a good store around the Colorado Springs area?

There are 5 Independent Records in the Springs (two stores on Platte, one down in Security/Widefield, one in Old Colorado City on 31st St., and one downtown on Bijou St.), 1 up in Denver, and 1 in Pueblo.

Don't steal all the good stuff :|

There's two on Platte? I know of the one by the mall, but where's the other? Unless you're referring to the Annex...

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:24 pm 

Gado911 wrote:
Anything near Ottawa, Ontario in Canada??

I live here in Ottawa. Unfortunately there aren't many record stores that have Metal sections. But be sure to check those:

End-Hits - Probably the best. Most of the stuff are new, but they do have a lot of extreme Metal releases. Not to mention the regular heavy stuff, stoner, Sludge, Noise Rock and indie crap. This is the one that I usually check out next to Vertigo.

Vertigo Records - They have a good Metal section. Probably the best whn it comes to Vinyl and records. New and Used stuff. Check their website to get an idea of what they're like.

The Turning Point - Their Metal/Rock section is quite modest compared to the above too. But they're pretty cheap. Most of the cds are used and go for like 9.99$. They're much into the classic Rock/Blues/Jazz kind of stuff.

Compact Music - Probably the most mainstream one out of the bunch. Similar in style to HMV and Virgin but a bit more indie. Their prices are crazy. Most stuff are new, not a good place for Metal if you ask me.

All those stores are located in Downtown Ottawa.

Be sure to check out the sticky distro thread in the Trading board for Canadian distros if you're interested in that too.

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:25 pm 

MGSX666 wrote:
New Haven, Connecticut? I will be going there over the summer.

There's Cutler's Record Shop right on Broadway. If you feel like taking a little trip, there's also Phoenix Records in Waterbury and Redscroll Records in Wallingford. Unfortunately, I can't vouch for the selection at those places, since I haven't seen them in person, but from what I know those independent shops sell metal (and heck, I want to check out all of them myself). If you don't mind a more big name store, there's the FYE at the Connecticut Post Mall in Milford; they've been having a $9.99 CD sale that has seemingly been going on since before Black Friday last year (originally thought it was a Black Friday sale, since I hadn't been there in awhile, but from doing research it appears it's permanent at a few stores across the nation, since late July). The metal selection there is quite decent. Same thing probably goes at the mall in Trumbull; don't know if the sale is there, but the selection was surprisingly good.

ChildOfTheDamned77
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm 

Ozenrol wrote:
Alright, here's info on a couple of shops that sell metal in California. So if someone searches the thread they'll be able to find it.

The Last Record Store - Santa Rosa, Northern California

A decent selection, they buy/sell used albums, and sometimes you can find some fairly rare material.

Cheap Thrills - San Luis Obispo, Central Coast California

Smaller selection then TLRS, with more of an emphasis on mainstream metal. Sometimes you can find a gem hidden in the usual drivel.

The Dungeon - Santa Rosa, Northern California

More of a general merch shop. They've got a nice selection of decently priced shirts and other band merch, especially for the area that it's in.

This thread is destined for great things.

Isn't The Last Record Shop where they filmed the opening thing for Brutal Legend?

And if anyone's looking for a Metal shop in Pittsburgh, try Eide's. Pretty big CD selection with everything from Anal Stench to Edguy.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:36 pm 

Looking for good places in London and Bruge (perhaps Brussels, too).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next