Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm 

Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
Shitty music is much more tolerable when you're blazed out of your mind.

Word.

Worst show I've been to was Protest the Hero in a shitty bar near here. Hordes of scene and emo kids everywhere and the bands themselves sucked pretty hard, just annoying pointless tech wank and horrible screeching with hardcore dancers and kids falling your head galore.

Last.fm

RottingInHumanity
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 pm 

First post in the Archives. Greets to all.

Haven't had any totally bad shows, but as others have said I've seen super shitty bands play at awesome gigs. First to come to mind is Anal Punishment. They're a local grind band here in Houston, saw 'em last month with PLF, Trasher and BSOM all of which were a blast. However Anal Punishment was exactly that, fucking terrible. Just noise with pig squeals and burps for vocals. Even Matt from Trasher was laughing at them. Pretty sad. Also saw Brutally Mutilated at a Severance/Ninth Kingdom show a few months back, the vocalist was so shitfaced he couldn't even remember the songs they were playing, and frequently stopped performing to drink. At one point he proclaimed they were going to play a song called "Eternal Cum Dumpster", which caused the rest of the band to shake their heads in disgust. Sad stuff. Oh, and Demoniac Vengeance fucking blow live as well.

duane_bradley
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:52 pm 

almightyjoey wrote:
When I went to see Bullet for my Valentine (fuck off, I was young and fat :p), the vocalist complained of a sore throat, and given a really terrible performance. They even left early, without an apology.

Ha Ha Joey! its Irie. I feel sorry you had to see Butt Fuck for my gay Valentine.

duane_bradley
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:03 pm 

ahhh I have a few

Terror: LA hardcore the pit was hogged by Karate hardcore fags and you had ninja's flying around, its hard to enjoy a show when worring about being jumped on by a ninja, the show ended with a kid with a bleeding head.

Opeth: saw em when I was 12 in 2004, and they blew my 12 year old mind! Then I saw em in November 2009 and they were shit boring! they played NO songs from Orchid and Morningrise one from My Arms Your Hearse and one from Still life, half the set was filled up with Ghost Reveries *sigh*.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:07 am 

I saw this godawful local band called the infected that were sort of like a retarted guns'n'roses/As I lay dying halbreed. The music wasn't as miserable as you'd think, but the drummer kept on throwing beer bottles into the audience, which is dangerous and stupid. Inr etaliation, we started heckling him, after which he responded "F*** you, I'm still getting paid."
Now, this was a punk show, and they were supporting a locally very successful christian punk band (Flatfoot 56 - very good, BTW). So the Christians got mad for being sworn at and the punks rebelled against the sellouts, resulting in a crowd that was 100% opposed to there being on stage, which only made the drummer get angrier and throw more crap at us.
Oh well. The other bands there were excellent.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

duane_bradley
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 am 

I saw Opeth last year and they were pretty boring it was a shame because I saw them once in 2004 and they killed.

demigod93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm 

Suicide Silence and Black Dahlia Murder opening for Carcass[/quote]

What the fuck? Why would Carcass wish to torture their fans by having to sit through Suicide Silence?!

My worst would probably be Aerosmith. Now, they were actually pretty good at playing their older stuff, but they only played a few songs from back in the day, if i remember correctly. Their new stuff was so shitty though, and they just lasted foreverrrrr, it seemed. Lenny Kravitz was the opener, and he stole the show.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 pm 

Nile was a borefest. I didn't feel one thing while they were playing their emotionless robotic "music".

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 pm 

SonsOfLilith wrote:
DrFunkenstein wrote:
The third time, Dave looked so bored and apathetic that it was really boring and made me want to leave and request my money back. Dave just doesn't care anymore.

Of course he doesn't care anymore. After 20+ years of being told Metallica is better than him, that in every top 100 list he's always behind Kirk Hammet and James Hetfield, and people randomly shouting "FUCK YEAH, METALLICA" at him just to piss him off, do you think he would still want to care? I don't blame him if he kills himself tomorrow over it. Just watch his meeting with Lars Ulrich from Some Kind Of Monster, he gets so emotional about his band and Metallica, and the dysfunctional relationship between the two.

I think that, much of the time, he was chasing the wrong thing. He should've just forgotten about being bigger than Metallica and focused more about being better than Metallica, because he's a better musician than anyone in Metallica, a band that hasn't advanced the thrash subgenre in any significant way since 1984, and record sales don't mean shit for quality.

That said, I just bought a ticket to see Megadeth on the Rust in Peace 20th anniversary tour. That they'll play the whole album is probably a given, but I wonder what else will be on their setlist. I hope they play "The Mechanix".

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
I wonder what else will be on their setlist. I hope they play "The Mechanix".

I read that "Set The World Afire", "Wake Up Dead", "In My Darkest Hour", "Sweating Bullets", "Skin O' My Teeth", "Head Crusher", "A Tout Le Monde", "Symphony of Destruction", "Trust", and "Peace Sells" are the other songs on the set list. Who knows...maybe they'll pull out some other ones.

Miseria_Cantare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:57 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I can't think of any really bad gigs I've been to, but I've seen some really shitty bands at otherwise decent concerts. One that immediately comes to mind was the Iron Maiden gig. Easily one of the greatest shows I've ever seen, but the openers were blegh. First there was Lauren Harris doing her grrrl rock diva thing and then there was an absolutely abysmal metalcore band. Definitely not a metallic metalcore band either. They just about got booed off stage, but being the stubborn spirits they were, hung around long enough to embarass themselves with a blasphemously shitty cover of Ace of Spades.

Are you talking about Behind Crimson Eyes? If so, I know what you mean. I've had the misfortune of seeing them live three times now and each time it gets worse and worse.

Miseria_Cantare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:02 am 

Wolfmother opening for AC/DC was unbearable. The mixing is some of the worst I have ever heard. However, when it comes to a band that actually sucked then Bring Me the Horizon. I went mostly to see the openers (The Red Shore and Cancer Bats), but I stupidly stayed for Bring Me the Horizon. Worst forty minutes of my life.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:03 am 

Miseria_Cantare wrote:
Wolfmother opening for AC/DC was unbearable. The mixing is some of the worst I have ever heard. However, when it comes to a band that actually sucked then Bring Me the Horizon. I went mostly to see the openers (The Red Shore and Cancer Bats), but I stupidly stayed for Bring Me the Horizon. Worst forty minutes of my life.

i went to that concert pity i had to stay for BMTH(my friend was seeing them live) the red shore were good though and cancer bats had a few good songs
you think if there was going to be another australian rock band opening for AC/DC they would be airbourne or something at least they sound something like them

Miseria_Cantare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:04 am 

The Red Shore always deliver live. Though they've lost their vocalist and drummer (both of which were amazing) so I'm not to sure about them now. Plus, they signed to Roadrunner...

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:04 am 

Miseria_Cantare wrote:
The Red Shore always deliver live. Though they've lost their vocalist and drummer (both of which were amazing) so I'm not to sure about them now. Plus, they signed to Roadrunner...

they are by far the loudest band i ever heard live i remember the first time i saw them live,their set alone made me half deaf for like 3 days great set though
im not sure about them anymore either im hoping they are still a very good band they said they are creating their heaviest music yet so i hope their roadrunner deal doesnt do anything to their music

Miseria_Cantare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
Miseria_Cantare wrote:

they are by far the loudest band i ever heard live i remember the first time i saw them live,their set alone made me half deaf for like 3 days great set though
im not sure about them anymore either im hoping they are still a very good band they said they are creating their heaviest music yet so i hope their roadrunner deal doesnt do anything to their music

Yeah, the first time I saw them was at The Eveyln and it is by far one of the loudest shows I've been to. However, it's mostly because the drums completely overpowered everything. I could barely make out the riff to The Garden of Impurity because the drums were ridiculously loud. Still, once they fixed everything it was still unbelievably loud.

I can't see them getting any heavier than they were on Unconsecrated. That album is beyond heavy. But from what I heard their new vocalist is meant to be good (I doubt he's as good as Jamie though), so I still have hope. Oh well, we'll see when they release their album later this year.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:11 am 

Miseria_Cantare wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:
Miseria_Cantare wrote:

Yeah, the first time I saw them was at The Eveyln and it is by far one of the loudest shows I've been to. However, it's mostly because the drums completely overpowered everything. I could barely make out the riff to The Garden of Impurity because the drums were ridiculously loud. Still, once they fixed everything it was still unbelievably loud.

I can't see them getting any heavier than they were on Unconsecrated. That album is beyond heavy. But from what I heard their new vocalist is meant to be good (I doubt he's as good as Jamie though), so I still have hope. Oh well, we'll see when they release their album later this year.

their new vocalist has more range than jamie but i dont think his lows are as good(from what i heard anyways) when i first saw them live it was in a tiny bar with like 50 people,i was at the front i didnt like them back then cause i considered them too heavy so i dont remember which songs they played apart from valentines day massacre(which i loved)

i remember the second time i saw them live they did play a bunch of songs that i didnt like but they did play misery hymn so that was good

i can't see them getting heavier either but i hope so from their first EP to their album they got alot heavier so maybe they are still headed in that direction

http://www.myspace.com/beforethethronemetal
thats a link to their new singers old band incase you have not heard them yet

Attitude
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:45 am 

Most recently, last weekend.. Lamb of God. I got suckered into going, the ol'.. "ok, I'll go because you went to see a band I wanted to see" routine. Brixton Academy in London is usually a venue I quite like, but Fuck it was boring.

I shit you not, I left halfway through LoG's set and caught the train home.

NEVER AGAIN am I going to pay money to see a band I don't like.

Also, is it just me or is every venue sounding really shitty these days? I can't remember the last time I went to a gig and was blown away by the sound. Lately the sound is muddy, instruments all sound at the same level and indistinguishable from each other and the vocalist is either buried in the mix or so up front and in your face that it just pisses you off.. and that’s the headliners. The support bands get an even worse deal.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:48 am 

Attitude wrote:
Most recently, last weekend.. Lamb of God. I got suckered into going, the ol'.. "ok, I'll go because you went to see a band I wanted to see" routine. Brixton Academy in London is usually a venue I quite like, but Fuck it was boring.

Also, is it just me or is every venue sounding really shitty these days? I can't remember the last time I went to a gig and was blown away by the sound. Lately the sound is muddy, instruments all sound at the same level and indistinguishable from each other and the vocalist is either buried in the mix or so up front and in your face that it just pisses you off.. and that’s the headliners. The support bands get an even worse deal.

here in australia(sydney anyways) there are quite a few good venues usually the really small ones are the best

Attitude
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:55 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
here in australia(sydney anyways) there are quite a few good venues usually the really small ones are the best

Yeah, generally the smaller venues sound better, to me at least. Lately in London, it just seems that none of the sound engineers have a clue what they're doing.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 pm 

Attitude wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Yeah, generally the smaller venues sound better, to me at least. Lately in London, it just seems that none of the sound engineers have a clue what they're doing.

im lucky then in all the concerts i have been to(about 8) im yet to have a problem with the sound though i see alot of problems like mic's not working and power going out during song but lucky i have not had a problem with sound though at my most recent concert i saw portal and their singers mic could have been slightly louder but thats just nitpicking

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:57 pm 

Miseria_Cantare wrote:

Ugh BMTH are fucking terrible, got dragged along by my girlfriend and her friends and it was terrible. Some post hardcore opening bands and bmth were even worse, the vocalist can't even do his own vocals live and the rest of the band was just a wall of sound.

Last.fm

Attitude
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:10 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
Attitude wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

im lucky then in all the concerts i have been to(about 8) im yet to have a problem with the sound though i see alot of problems like mic's not working and power going out during song but lucky i have not had a problem with sound though at my most recent concert i saw portal and their singers mic could have been slightly louder but thats just nitpicking

I've seen 3 bands in the last week.
Mucofloris, in my home town and only their second gig. They have members from a now defunct band called, Point Down. Dunno if anybody here knows of them. I had a great time with friends moshing.. sound was great and it was good fun.

Then LoG... I've aired my thoughts on them, not a lot of thought.

Then last night, Blaze Bailey, again in my home town but a different venue. Sound was good, vocals were a bit too high in the mix. The real piss off is Blaze constantly "Oi, Oi, Oi, Oi'ing" after doing his part. You know what, mate.. I just sometimes wanna listen to the band play. STFU and let them play. I was on the guest list, so I can't really moan. And Blaze is a nice fella.. Just quit with the "oi'ing".

Miseria_Cantare
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:43 am 

Attitude wrote:

Be lucky you didn't stay until the end. I don't know if they do this at all concerts, but Lamb of God finished their last song with a breakdown. A breakdown that goes for ten minutes. It was torture.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am 

Deucalion wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
I wonder what else will be on their setlist. I hope they play "The Mechanix".

I read that "Set The World Afire", "Wake Up Dead", "In My Darkest Hour", "Sweating Bullets", "Skin O' My Teeth", "Head Crusher", "A Tout Le Monde", "Symphony of Destruction", "Trust", and "Peace Sells" are the other songs on the set list. Who knows...maybe they'll pull out some other ones.

I hope they don't do singalongs for the Countdown/Youthanasia/Cryptic Writings songs because I haven't listened to their '90s albums yet...:oh shit:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

jimmyb6661
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:41 am 

bury my little sister, a local metalcore band who describes themselves as "new metal"
heres the myspace: http://www.myspace.com/burymylittlesister

they are even worse live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL724zlgUsk

john1111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 pm 

Probably the worst gig I've been to was in the Front Page in Belfast, my friends played in a doom metal band that opened who played a good set and everything was going well. Then the PA broke and the vocals sounded AWFUL. Couldn't even make them out and the sound for the rest of the instruments was complete shit too. The worst thing is the other bands that played are quite good but the sound ruined it. Then my friend that had played got his distortion pedal stolen out of his bag and 10 minutes after we got home our tiny flat was mobbed with people after they found out one of the bands were staying with us and he people who lived in the usual after show party house (just down the road) had moved out. We later found out the owner of the bar tried to charge the guy putting the gig on for the PA, even though it was a piece of shit. Worst venue in Belfast by far.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:45 pm 

The worst gig I went to was Lazarus AD/Unearth/Testament. Lazarus and Testament kicked all sorts of ass, but Unearth made me want to die. The songs all sounded the same, and it was annoying standing at the edge of the pit with a bunch of dipshits throwing themselves around. They kept throwing beer, and it was 30 minutes of bore. One cool thing is when the guitarist hung from a rafter.

blackmausoleum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 pm 

The Red Chord opening up for GWAR in November at the Sound Academy in Toronto. Their sound was weak, their set dragged, and nobody was really into them, along with the fact that their music sucks. They even acknowledged it as well, saying "yeah, we'll be out of your way in a bit. We're just the warm-up band."

Suffokate opening up for Dying Fetus was pretty terrible as well. Brocore bullshit. Their vocalist took the basketball hoops out of his ears so it was especially fun to watch two windsocks hanging off the sides of his head.

~Guest 211827
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:00 pm 

I went to a Marianas Trench concert to make my girlfriend happy.
Fucking a, there were so many 10 year old girls with piercing shrieks.
I was at the front, and all those fucking lg's tried to get to the front too.
I got trampled on 5 times, seriously.
It was in an open field, too, why the fuck did they all try to stay in 1 place, all squished together?

Well, it wasn't really the band's fault, it was the fans that ruined it for me.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 pm 

-Goes to concert

-Metalcore band is playing

-Every possible aspect of a live show is shit

I don't buy it.

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:59 pm 

Uh, what? You don't buy that metalcore bands play shows or that a lot of things can go wrong in a live setting?

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:13 am 

jimmyb6661 wrote:
bury my little sister, a local metalcore band who describes themselves as "new metal"
heres the myspace: http://www.myspace.com/burymylittlesister

they are even worse live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL724zlgUsk

Good fucking lord.

jimmyb6661
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:05 am 

yea, pretty much all the bands in staten island are that bad

Zombies47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:21 am 

Back in '08, a friend of mine dragged me along to I Killed the Prom Queen at Hi-Fi in Melbourne. It was their last tour ever, or something, and it was cheap. Plus, I had nothing better to do.

Hiroshima Will Burn, who I have seen numerous times before, were as awful as usual.

Then, I was impressed with The Ghost Inside. Pretty standard crappy hardcore band, but they had really good stage presence.

I've never liked The Red Shore, with either singer, so I didn't really pay attention to them.

Then, Bring me the Horizon took the stage. They knew straight off that no-one there liked them, and it showed. A mate and I danced like morons in the middle of the floor, and we were the only ones moving.

I Killed the Prom Queen was fucking awful. Worst band I've ever seen. The crowd were douchebags, fists and feet were flying everywhere, I was punched and kicked a few times. But no, IKTPQ decided that we weren't being big enough douches, and decided to spray the entire crowd with a fire extinguisher. This instantly made the floor as slippery as ice, which stopped most of the hardcore dancers, but brought on the rage of IKTPQ's singer, because no-one was moving. Until, of course, some people started ice-skating around the pit, which just brought more abuse from the band.

Honestly, I'm glad they broke up. Worst $30 I ever spent.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:26 am 

$30 is now cheap?

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:39 am 

DGYDP wrote:
$30 is now cheap?

In Australia the only cheap bands are local acts regardless of how big they made it. For an international act it can cost $50 or higher. I went to Summer Slaughter to see Aborted, Dying Fetus, Necrophagist and The Faceless and that cost nearly $90, as with Slayer and Megadeth. I love going to shows but it's ridiculous the cost of tickets to international bands.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:45 am 

Wow, that sucks. I never pay more than 20 Australian Dollar for any show, unless it's a multiple-day festival or something. I guess if I wanted to see huge bands like Metallica I'd end up paying something like that too, but I only do underground 200-750 people concerts. It probably has to do with location, we can get all the great German bands here at a very low cost, while Australia is basically isolated from any major scene.

Feedback_Oscillation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 pm 

Mayhem at MDF were pretty terrible, mostly due to the horrible sound and Hellhammer's miserable triggers.

Also, just about all of the openers for the most recent Atheist US tour were pretty bad. It was interesting seeing grown men sing along with The Agonist's female singer. The fact they were obviously sponsored by Hot Topic didn't help.

Of course, there are plenty of terrible local shows but those really don't count.

DARPAchief
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:41 pm 

Sadly, the worst concert I've been to was a Megadeth headliner. I love Megadeth and they killed, but the part that sucked was that to get to them I had to sit through Suicide Silence, and their fans didn't have the decency to leave after they opened so I had to spend my time knocking down poser kids trying to hardcore dance to "Skin o' My Teeth"

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next