Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm 

i went to a concert with thy art is murder(yea i know standed deathcore) and 3 out of 6 bands played before the police came and stopped the concert(due to some hardcore dancer kicking someone in the chest with steel capped boots and almost killing them) so i missed the only 2 bands i wanted to see play but still only payed $6 for it

NikeOfSamothrace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 pm 

Never went to a concert, but I know someone who happened to be at Ozzfest when Sharon Osbourne decided to egg Iron Maiden.
According to him the heat and the long hour drive was unbearable. I can definitely understand why he was angry, I saw Sharon's antics as a sign of disrespect towards the people who payed good money to see their favorite acts. It's not fair for them to have to tolerate an adult who would rather act like a baby.
After that, he's sworn to no longer support ozzfest.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:19 pm 

Oh man, I've been waiting for an opportunity to tell this story.

One Saturday night, some buds and I were looking for something do. My friend received a text from a guy telling him that there was a wet T-shirt contest at a local bar. Being the single young malchicks who enjoy a good pair of groodies that we are, we decided to check it out. We all decide we're going to meet up at the bar. Eventually I get there, and after getting lost inside for about 3 minutes I find my friends. We're a little confused, because the guy who sent us the text isn't there and we can't get a hold of him. There is a stage set up and several hot girls in skimpy outfits walking around. We assume that there IS going to be a wet T-shirt contest, until a band starts setting up equipment on the stage. We were a bit disappointed about the lack of wet T-shirts, but the band was made up of long-hairs and the bassist was wearing a Suffocation shirt. We assumed we were about to see a local metal show.

The band started playing, and it was the WORST combination of chugga-chugga, open bass, and Fred-Durst mixed with Jamey Jasta vocals I've ever heard. The guitarist was playing short, simple, slow riffs while the clown with the microphone was yelling, "YOU'RE ALL SHIT TALKERS MOTHAFUCKA!!!!" What made this shit even funnier was all the scene kids in eyeliner who came out of the woodwork and started moshing to this garbage. We left after about 20 seconds.

What a shitty concert. No tits. No metal. Just blueballs and a seething hatred for mankind.

DeathCroak
Professor R. H. Gumby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 pm 

NikeOfSamothrace wrote:
Never went to a concert, but I know someone who happened to be at Ozzfest when Sharon Osbourne decided to egg Iron Maiden.
According to him the heat and the long hour drive was unbearable. I can definitely understand why he was angry, I saw Sharon's antics as a sign of disrespect towards the people who payed good money to see their favorite acts. It's not fair for them to have to tolerate an adult who would rather act like a baby.
After that, he's sworn to no longer support ozzfest.

I kind of admire Bruce for railing against Ozzfest, which as far as I'm concerned is a mockery of all things metal and a complete joke. Why should he have to cut his set short, for fucking Slipknot fuck them.

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 pm 

Mateilkrist wrote:
blueballs

Just from seeing some attractive women and a Fred Durst imitator? You beat me in the sex drive department; take it as a compliment if you wish.

RandyJames16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 pm 

I don't usually have bad experiences at concerts, but my most recent pitiful concert experience was the Eluveitie/Belphegor show that came to Jaxx in Nov 09. Firstly, I was gonna skip this show, but my friend who's hooked on folk/pagan metal said that the only way he could go to the show was if I went with him. The only band that I really wanted to see was Vreid, since I've seen Eluveitie, Belphegor, and Alestorm previously, and all three of those bands are just okay. The day of the show, my friend says he's not feeling well enough to go, but I decided that I was going to go anyway, to see Vreid. I left my house pretty late, so I could skip the local bands. Big mistake. The Jaxx parking lot was full. I had to park in the shopping center parking lot across the street. There were "shopping center customers only" posted all over the place, and I was really hoping that they don't tow my car. So I get to the club, pay my $23 or $25, and head inside the concert hall. Kivimetsan Druidi are up, and they are absolutely terrible. Thankfully, I found out that I hadn't missed Vreid. At the merch table, I wasn't able to buy a Vreid shirt in Med cuz they were sold out, so I just bought 'Milorg'. Vreid's performance was fantastic. I was still very paranoid about my car, so I decided that I'd only stay til Alestorm play "Wolves of the Sea." They played for 15-20 min, and no "Wolves..." yet, and I just decided to leave, missing Belphegor and Eluveitie completely. Very disappointing concert experience. Vreid were the highlight, but I really would've liked to buy a shirt from them.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:44 pm 

heavymetalbackwards wrote:
Mateilkrist wrote:
blueballs

Just from seeing some attractive women and a Fred Durst imitator? You beat me in the sex drive department; take it as a compliment if you wish.

We were expecting a wet t-shirt contest. It turned into a lame local concert at a bar. And we couldn't drink.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:53 pm 

Otep. No, not Opeth.

Otep, I went with a girl that was into them that didn't want to go by herself, she had to leave mid-set (thank Odin) because one of the songs they played was to too "painful" for her. How retarded. But damn that show was fucking horrible. Had to sit through Ill Nino, and Walls of Jericho. :puke:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 am 

As much as I love them, it's gotta be Queens of the Stone Age. The songs they played were great and the band put on a fantastic +1 hour performance. Great live energy and they sound just as good on stage as they do on the albums.

However, it was at a god damn 3 floor theatre with pot-smoke in the air and indie scene people e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. The place was packed, for one, and everything was overpriced. I wanted a T-shirt, but everything from thongs to lighters were +$25. The shirts were $40, and the tickets alone per person were $30. When we got to our seats we were on the third floor and could barely see the stage. The seating was horrible and not one person other than some scene girls and their boyfriends fingering and making out in front of me and two friends were in their seats.

I tried to get a view over the railing but security up there was tight as hell - we weren't allowed to leave our aisles unless we went to the latrine. The opening band were some lame alternative / indie band that had a kickass drummer - everyone else in the group sucked ass. They played for a half hour before QOTSA came on and they tore the place up. Great vibe and the crowd was roaring. Still, we always had problems with the people behind us, next to us, and in front of us; they were all incredibly rude.

You think you've met some assholes at metal concerts, just go to these "open-minded indie ones." People can't take a fucking joke or act nice to anyone. I guess the venue and fans were the real killer for me, since the band really couldn't do any wrong. Really hard to see the band, too, since we were so far away (not to mention all the people blocking my view).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 am 

I was visiting my extended family in Buffalo, NY several years ago, and Killswitch Engage was playing some free outdoor show. Keep in mind that this was probably around the time Alive Or Just Breathing came out, before they became well known in the mainstream.

Oh god that was a horrible concert.

First of all, their vocalist was completely shitfaced-drunk. While, say, in a thrash band this could prove to be endearing, it was just annoying here. He couldn't sing his lines at all, and stopped about three times a song to yell out "LET'S SEE YOUR FUCKING BEERS, FUCKERS!" The rest of the band didn't fare much better, all very clearly lethargic and very not having a good time. About ten minutes later, my cousin looked over at me and just said "Fuck this shit."

I couldn't help but agree.

It still amazes me that less than a year later, those boring and incompetent pieces of shit became MTV's darlings.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:57 am 

I can't think of any really bad gigs I've been to, but I've seen some really shitty bands at otherwise decent concerts. One that immediately comes to mind was the Iron Maiden gig. Easily one of the greatest shows I've ever seen, but the openers were blegh. First there was Lauren Harris doing her grrrl rock diva thing and then there was an absolutely abysmal metalcore band. Definitely not a metallic metalcore band either. They just about got booed off stage, but being the stubborn spirits they were, hung around long enough to embarass themselves with a blasphemously shitty cover of Ace of Spades.

Which reminds me of another act; a band at a prog metal gig that was like Incubus (the alt-rock one) with the snore factor turned up to 11. This was the musical version of a sleeping pill. So terribly boring that it resulted in one of my mates deciding to skip out on the rest of the concert, thus missing the almighty Alchemist.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
I can't think of any really bad gigs I've been to, but I've seen some really shitty bands at otherwise decent concerts. One that immediately comes to mind was the Iron Maiden gig. Easily one of the greatest shows I've ever seen, but the openers were blegh. First there was Lauren Harris doing her grrrl rock diva thing and then there was an absolutely abysmal metalcore band. Definitely not a metallic metalcore band either. They just about got booed off stage, but being the stubborn spirits they were, hung around long enough to embarass themselves with a blasphemously shitty cover of Ace of Spades.

Which reminds me of another act; a band at a prog metal gig that was like Incubus (the alt-rock one) with the snore factor turned up to 11. This was the musical version of a sleeping pill. So terribly boring that it resulted in one of my mates deciding to skip out on the rest of the concert, thus missing the almighty Alchemist.

i would hate to miss out on Alchemist another bad concert i went to was free but i saw some horrible bands one i forget their name but their some hardcore rap band with the drummer from i killed the prom queen lucky they played last so 20 seconds into their set i left

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 am 

That would be Deez Nuts.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 am 

thats them i forgot their name they were horrible i couldnt belive how many people wanted to see them also i saw some rap band called gin and tonics or something that same concert then the next night i went to the concert where that guy got kicked in the chest and almost died

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 am 

SatanicPotato, jesus fucking christ dude, learn how to use proper grammar.

Perkonkalve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 am 

Opeth.

As expected, they were as boring as only one could anticipate having heard their music. I went to the show to see Enslaved as the opener (who these days with all their progressive new stuff isn't that exciting/good, anyway. But, you know, it's still Enslaved.)

I made it 'bout maybe...two and a half songs? Which is a lot, any way. I was literally falling asleep standing amongst the crowd. I thought I'd give them a try and see if they were actually any better live, but nope. Just as boring live as on record.

----------------
Now playing: Týr - Hail to the Hammer
via FoxyTunes

heavymetalbackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:31 am 

You know, it's not metal, and the concert itself wasn't bad, but quite a few things went wrong seeing Weird Al. He made us all wait an extra hour to see him for some undisclosed reason. Not wanting to lose my front row seat, I sat there that whole time and wound up with a full bladder. I needed to leave in the middle of the show, got lost, and when I found my way back security questioned me about coming back in. When I got back I found out that I missed "The Pizza Song," or whatever it's called, which he only does live and I never heard it before. Then, when he drank some water and threw the cup out into the audience, my friend caught it but had it stolen, literally ripped out of his hands. Well, that's more sucky for him actually.

Overall, it wasn't a bad show, though. He ran through the audience and accidentally hit me in the head, but that was more cool than anything.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 am 

The only concert i walked out on was Sunn O))).

Was there to see Boris primarily and after them stuck around for Sunn O))), after the first 20 minutes (and 12 notes) i couldn't take it any more and walked out... It's probably just because i don't like drone all that much I 'spose.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Was there to see Boris primarily and after them stuck around for Sunn O))), after the first 20 minutes (and 12 notes) i couldn't take it any more and walked out

Caspian would like to have a few words with you. :-)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 am 

You went to a Boris and Sunn O))) concert but you hate drone?

The worst show I've ever attended was a couple of years back when the girlfriend and I played chaperone for her then 16 year old sister and her emo (excuse me..."scene") friends at a Kill Hannah concert. If you've never heard Kill Hannah, imagine an extremely watered-down version of a Smashing Pumpkins ballad (y'know...the shitty kind from Machina or something) mixed with that horrible "I love The Cure but I think that they had dance beats in every song and also I have Down syndrome" variant of dance-punk revival that was really hip a few years ago. The band members were all wearing skinny jeans and had haircuts that looked like the bastard offspring of Flock of Seagulls and some emo kid with bangs, despite all of them looking to be in their late 30's. The emo kids went absolutely NUTS over that band. We had to stick around for like an hour and a half after the show ended because the emo kid that the girlfriend's sister had a crush on was waiting in this massive line to get his picture taken with this pathetic man-child.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:09 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Yeah, that is kind of pointless. They ARE drone. That's like going to a basketball game but walking out because you hate the game.

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:00 am 

Sunn O))), Earth, and Eagle Twin

Eagle Twin were fine, but Earth was fucking horrible. It was the most boring, pathetic performance I could ever imagine.

The place was packed because everyone here in Seattle loves Earth and Sunn O))), but even the crowd didn't seem too interested in Earth. Sunn O))) did their typical improvisational set but I was so goddamn bored I left to this local tavern and watched an awesome grindcore band play for free, then went back to the venue where Sunn O))) was playing, then left again and wandered around for a while. The venue is attached to an upscale bar so I just talked to random people, got shit faced, and paced back and forth til it was over.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:12 am 

I have never heard Earth from Seattle. When I think of a band called Earth I think of Black Sabbath since that's what they were called before switching to heavy metal.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:49 am 

Strapping Young Lad, years ago.
awful. Even Hoglan had an off-day.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:01 am 

Finntroll. They played a long-ass set which damn near put me to sleep. Now Finntroll's a relatively fun band for a very small number of songs, but 21 played live is death, and not in a good way either. It was my lesson not to go see bands which I only half like, despite friends' urgings.

The first and last time I saw Cradle of Filth they were also pretty damn shitty, just seemed like a wall of awful noise.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:18 am 

I saw Dragonforce with Sonata Arctica and some band called Taking Dawn a while back in a small bar. Dragonforce were fun, as usual, and Sonata Arctica put on a fantastic show, but I couldn't figure out whether I liked Taking Dawn or not. They must have put a chimp with downs in charge of their mixing, because I could literally hear nothing but the drums.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:39 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

Well as I said, I went to see Boris, and although some of their material is drone, I like their Stonerish Psychedelic rock stuff, which is what I went to see, so its not really pointless.

Cyrax666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:47 am 

Here comes the hate but I have to say Insect Warfare.

My God, that was the sloppiest fucking show I have ever seen, not to mention boring.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:03 am 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Well as I said, I went to see Boris, and although some of their material is drone, I like their Stonerish Psychedelic rock stuff, which is what I went to see, so its not really pointless.

Still kinda akin to a white supremacist taking a vacation to Detroit. Yeah, there are some white people there...

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

VRR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:07 am 

I've usually been pretty lucky and had enjoyable times at concerts that I have been to. The one big disappointment I had was seeing Mortiis at the Astoria 2 in about 1999/2000. The Stargate had been out for a while and I expected an epic ambient experience, maybe even with Sarah Jezebel Deva guesting on vocals. Instead it was a preview of his next album, and I had to sit through 45 minutes of industrial goth pop.

almightyjoey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:50 am 

When I went to see Bullet for my Valentine (fuck off, I was young and fat :p), the vocalist complained of a sore throat, and given a really terrible performance. They even left early, without an apology.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:57 am 

Cyrax666 wrote:

My God, that was the sloppiest fucking show I have ever seen, not to mention boring.
Ah, so YOU'RE the one I have to set on fire!

Complaining about Insect Warfare being sloppy? Isn't that, like, complaining that Rush is too progressive? I mean, they ARE grindcore, which has its roots in punk, which is known for raw sloppy energy...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
I_Am_Vengeance wrote:

Was there to see Boris primarily and after them stuck around for Sunn O))), after the first 20 minutes (and 12 notes) i couldn't take it any more and walked out

Caspian would like to have a few words with you. :-)

Yeah, we can't be e-buddies anymore. Sorry dude.

Worst one was.......... Death Cab for Cutie. I went through a brief and very intense indie kid phase about 4 or so years ago for a month or so (went all MikeyC over a girl) and ended up seeing them. Support was really cool, incidentally (some strange wall of sound ambient mixed with folk and electronica.. wasn't bad), but DCFC were rubbish. Really quiet, tame, boring; pretty much everything you'd expect, I guess. Yeah, sucked a fair bit.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am 

Fall Out Boy at some random pop festival in 2007. Some people convinced me to go with them and while I had a great time, most bands sucked ass. When Fall Out Boy played we decided to lift a girl up in the air for crowdsurfing, but it backfired and I ended up on the second row in front of Pete fucking Wentz. I was wearing an "Anti Emo Death Squad" badge on my cap and I found some other metalheads (still wondering what they were doing there) and we sang Raining Blood and stared at emo jailbait. That salvaged my day somewhat, but when I had enough I tried to get away but found myself stuck against a fence and I had to stand there amidst emo's who looked scared/annoyed at me for some reason for the rest of the fucking Fall Out Boy concert. At least there were some kick ass electronic bands like LCD Soundsystem, Digitalism and Boys Noize.

sprintcarfan2007
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:58 pm 

Well, all the concerts I have wanted to go to have been good ones, but, we have a big county fair here in my area, and back in 2004, 2005, we had these shitty pop country musicians come in, and play, and being there the nights they were, ugh....I would go over, and see what all noise was about, hear a few songs, and walk away. It was just a joke.

Now in 2006, Blue Oyster Cult played, and that was a pretty good show. Then after that....once again, the shitty pop country bands are back....

Voice_of_Reason
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:39 pm 

Wow. For a moment I thought this thread was "worst cancer you've ever had".

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:12 pm 

Cyrax666 wrote:

Well, seeing as how the band hated everybody (and didn't enjoy playing live), that was probably the point.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:56 pm 

Probably Metallica at the O2, mainly because I was half a fucking kilometer from the band all of the time.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

TooHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:00 pm 

Seeing Amon Amarth for the third time in a year at Wacken was incredibly boring. I had just watched Sarke, and actually left Pentagram to go check it out. Biggest mistake ever. I was also subjected to Winds of Plague that summer.

The biggest non-metal disappointment so far has been Fuck Buttons, who I say in November or something. I love those guys, and maybe they just had a bad night, but I left feeling ripped off.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm 

I'll be speaking on behalf of a friend.

He had started talking to a girl, and she told him that she wanted to go to a concert with him. Apparently it was some emo concert with a band called "The Cab" ( :scratch: ). He gets a ride there and my other friend and I don't hear from him for a few hours (He doesn't have a cellphone). Eventually my other friend gets a call from the girl, who tells him that she's leaving early and her dad won't give him a ride. Basically, his date was leaving him at a shitty emo concert he didn't even want to go to.

Later that night, we find out that she left because he was being standoffish with her and she was interested in my other friend (the one she called). So they become a couple that night.

Aren't friendships great when bitches come into the equation?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next