Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gungnir88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:50 am 

Any fellow MMA fans? For some reason I assume to find a good amount of fans on a metal forum. If not, opinions on the sport? While it's not mainstream yet in a few years MMA related news could be headlining ESPN shows such as Sportscenter etc...

My favorite fighter is Fedor Emelianenko BTW.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:26 am 

SOOOO many good names out there, but Silva is the man!

MMA has already overtaken boxing. IMO, it is the ultimate sport - man vs. man - no teams, no sharing of the glory. 1 man wins, 1 man loses. Simple, pure and cruel - just like nature.

Been doing MMA training myself for about 3 months now and must say it is the ultimate high and the ultimate workout.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:38 am 

It most certainly proves that outside of theatrics, a lot of Asian martial arts such as kung fu and tae kwon do are pretty much useless when it comes down to fisticuffs at the end of the day.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:52 am 

Two weeks until UFC 104, when Machida pulverizes Shogun.

My favorite fighters are Machida and Gegard Mousasi btw.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 am 

waiguoren wrote:
It most certainly proves that outside of theatrics, a lot of Asian martial arts such as kung fu and tae kwon do are pretty much useless when it comes down to fisticuffs at the end of the day.

I know a lot of masters who would disagree. A lot of the tecniques are meant for serious lethal defense (breaking necks, dislocating arms, stopping hearts) all of which are typically not allowed in sports.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:53 am 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
waiguoren wrote:

I know a lot of masters who would disagree. A lot of the tecniques are meant for serious lethal defense (breaking necks, dislocating arms, stopping hearts) all of which are typically not allowed in sports.

^Typical "our stuff is too deadly" bullshit. I don't agree with waiguoren as I don't think "asian" (nice generalisation) martial arts are totally useless. On the other hand, they aren't and never will be useful because of how "lethal" they are.

On topic, I'm a huge MMA fan in terms of watching it and training it! Can't wait for when the UFC hits Australia next year. Overall, I think the fighters that inspired me the most are Randy Couture and Kazushi Sakuraba; some very special athletes right there.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:40 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:

^Typical "our stuff is too deadly" bullshit. I don't agree with waiguoren as I don't think "asian" (nice generalisation) martial arts are totally useless. On the other hand, they aren't and never will be useful because of how "lethal" they are.

On topic, I'm a huge MMA fan in terms of watching it and training it! Can't wait for when the UFC hits Australia next year. Overall, I think the fighters that inspired me the most are Randy Couture and Kazushi Sakuraba; some very special athletes right there.

The best boxer in the world is useless if his arms are broken.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:55 pm 

Dark_Gnat wrote:
Hybrid_Killer wrote:

The best boxer in the world is useless if his arms are broken.

And?

By that logic, the best master in the world is useless if he eats a big right hand and gets knocked out.

UmbraNihil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:14 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

"Asian" martial artists say the EXACT same thing about MMA.

Also, Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do are about as different as fencing and armwresting.

kronos116
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:54 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

Lyoto Machida?

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

LOL

2 words: Muay Thai

OT: MMA is the shit, and althoug UFC pretty much has the monopoly these days for good fights Pride is still king, all my favorite fighters are from Pride: HENDOOOOOO, Crocop, Fedor, vanderlei, Rampage etc etc. nothing tops old school Pride fights/ers

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:42 pm 

kronos116 wrote:
waiguoren wrote:

Lyoto Machida?

Actually you'll notice that I said a lot, not all - I was actually taking a dig at kung fu and tae kwon do, not karate and muay thai.

Anyway, Machida is probably the best thing in UFC right now, great fighting style.

CORRO666iVE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:50 am 

I'm 99% sure that MMA would destroy any other martial art in a ring and on the street. As much as I like and train Muay Thai (deadly standing up), MMA has all that plus the control over ground fighting. On a similar note, look up Muay Thai vs. anything else on Youtube and see who wins 99% of the time.

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 pm 

CORRO666iVE wrote:
I'm 99% sure that MMA would destroy any other martial art in a ring and on the street. As much as I like and train Muay Thai (deadly standing up), MMA has all that plus the control over ground fighting. On a similar note, look up Muay Thai vs. anything else on Youtube and see who wins 99% of the time.

Because Youtube fight videos are definitive proof of anything....
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

CORRO666iVE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:06 am 

thrashmaniac111 wrote:
CORRO666iVE wrote:

Because Youtube fight videos are definitive proof of anything....

No, not definite proof, but a good indicator. Youtube fights sounds like kids fighting in their backyard. You do realize I'm talking about competitions in a ring, right? Youtube helps in this case since most people aren't able to attend 10 live fights in a short period of time but 10 videos is plausible.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:20 am 

CORRO666iVE wrote:
I'm 99% sure that MMA would destroy any other martial art in a ring and on the street. ...

The difference is that there are rules in MMA - once a fighter can not logically defend ones self, there is a referee to stop the fight. In a street fight, there are no rules. Anything goes. And there is no stopping a fight if someone is badly hurt. Kick to the balls or head, throat strikes, etc are all "legal" in the street. Survival is first - technique is second.

Street fighting is very dangerous. While I believe the MMA vs. SF has a theoretical advantage, there are no guarantees in the street. I feel much safer in the ring than on the street.

I have seen first hand what can happen in the street - sometimes this can lead to life long disabilities.

As brutal as MMA may appear to be, it is controlled and safer than SF.

Last edited by Musick on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:25 am 

CORRO666iVE wrote:
I'm 99% sure that MMA would destroy any other martial art in a ring and on the street...

CORRO666iVE wrote:
You do realize I'm talking about competitions in a ring, right?

FYI - that was not what you implied in your initial post. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to bring clarity to the thread.

Experience is key.

EDIT: misspell.

FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:54 pm 

I've been doing Mixed Martial Arts for awhile now. I've got my first fight in about 4 months against a nationally ranked heavyweight. Been training my ass off. I still need to come up with an entrance song...

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:58 pm 

I think I would use Epidemic of Violence for my entrance song.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 pm 

FenrirFangs wrote:
I've been doing Mixed Martial Arts for awhile now. I've got my first fight in about 4 months against a nationally ranked heavyweight. Been training my ass off. I still need to come up with an entrance song...

Who?

Josh Barnett has used Bolt Thrower as his entrance music before.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 pm 

Horned_Owl_Holocaust wrote:
I think I would use Epidemic of Violence for my entrance song.

I think I would use Harder Than Steel, or pretty much anything off Ample Destruction. That album gets the adrenaline pumping.

Gungnir88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:30 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
FenrirFangs wrote:

Who?

Barnett is a metalhead, I saw a picture of him wearing a Death shirt before. Also he came out to Conan the Barbarian's "Anvil of Crom" which was cool.

FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
FenrirFangs wrote:

Who?

Can't remember his name. I'm underage though, which means he is too, so I doubt anyone would know him. He trains at Madd Dogg's gym in Pittsburgh, PA. I know that much...

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:09 am 

I'm looking forward to 104, something tells me to be worried but that same feeling was around when Machida fought Evans and Evans is a much smarter fighter than Rua so by logic Rua shouldn't be in the ring for too long?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:40 pm 

If logic dictates that fights are decided by smartness or intelligence, perhaps. But I do not think it is really up to that. Style, athleticism, training and conditioning and just pure luck are also factors.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:56 pm 

I won't be surprised if Shogun takes it. He's always had a lot of potential.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:13 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I won't be surprised if Shogun takes it. He's always had a lot of potential.

Yeah, but he has looked like shit since Pride FC died.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:28 pm 

Now, I know that one of Machida's strengths is to capitalise on the wild and reckless natures of other fighters, as well as accuracy and timing.
However, I have stated my beliefs on Sherdog (har har) before that someone as batshit nuts in his fighting style as Shogun might just be so reckless and 'crazy' that even Machida will be surprised.
It's not a dead certainty, but hey, I give him a good chance.

Rooting for Shogun.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:48 am 

28-27 Machida?

In a 5 round fight?

Did I hear that right?

What the fuck is going on?

WhatTheF
Mallcore Kid

Fucking bullshit decision.

I can not believe it. Worst decision in a long time.

Last edited by WhatTheF on Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
fiercetroll
Metalhead

Wow, I'm a huge Machida fan but damn. Probably the worst moral defeat in history for Machida.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:52 am 

josephus wrote:
28-27 Machida?

In a 5 round fight?

Did I hear that right?

What the fuck is going on?

48-47. I had it 49-46 shogun, MMA judges tend to be stark idiots, on the whole.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:55 am 

The commentators were saying, to be the champion you gotta beat the champion. I'm not sure how much more Shogun could have beaten Machida. He could hardly walk towards the end :(

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:59 am 

I'm pretty pissed at all this. Total robbery really.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 am 

Shogun got robbed.

And this is coming from a Machida fan.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:29 am 

fiercetroll wrote:
The commentators were saying

They were also obviously in the tank for Shogun. Most bias commentating ever. Shogun would connect with a body kick and Machida would land 2-3 punches in the exchange but all they would ever see was the body kick. Yeah, if I was blind I would think Shogun won listening to the commentators. It was a close fight, but Machida won in my opinion. I didn't see a win for Shogun. I think people listen to Pot head Joe's commentary too much. Turn the sound off and Machida won, turn the video and only have the sound, Shogun won. In any case, I expected more from Machida. Before this match Machida was spotless in the UFC, he isn't spotless anymore.

SymposiumOfSickness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:50 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
fiercetroll wrote:
The commentators were saying

They were also obviously in the tank for Shogun. Most bias commentating ever. Shogun would connect with a body kick and Machida would land 2-3 punches in the exchange but all they would ever see was the body kick. Yeah, if I was blind I would think Shogun won listening to the commentators. It was a close fight, but Machida won in my opinion. I didn't see a win for Shogun. I think people listen to Pot head Joe's commentary too much. Turn the sound off and Machida won, turn the video and only have the sound, Shogun won. In any case, I expected more from Machida. Before this match Machida was spotless in the UFC, he isn't spotless anymore.

To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with Shogun's performance but he still won that fight based off of points alone. Machida would throw some punches to counter the kicks but they did little to no damage to Shogun, unlike Shogun's leg kicks which really seemed to affect Machida in the last rounds. The only time Machida did some real damage was the 3rd (I think) round when Shogun was against the cage and Machida landed several clean hard punches. He really should have tried to do some takedowns, since he has those really good sweep takedowns. Needless to say, I was greatly disappointed with Machida's performance. I was expecting something like the Evans or Silva fight or at least something a little more decisive.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:59 am 

It wasn't just that Shogun was landed body kicks in counter to the shots that Machida really did get it, it's that Shogun landed a LOT of unanswered leg kicks as well.

Leify
A Whisper of Death

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:08 am 

http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

Shogun landed right about double the amount of strikes as Machida. The only category Machida is even ahead in is body shots, and only by a small margin. Neither fighter had the other hurt, so that takes that out of the equation.

There's no way Machida should have won, or even come close to it.

josephus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:12 am 

I was just about to post that myself. :p
Can't get onto Compustrike at the moment myself though.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next