Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:35 am 

As the title says, I'm looking for industrial metal. Now, I'm in love with the sound of oldschool industrial metal -- that is, Godflesh, early Pitch Shifter, O.L.D., etc. Only problem is, the sound assosciated with that period seems to have completely fucking died off. But I still want more! So, I ask for bands similar in sound to the ones mentioned above, or whom at least utilize the following techniques:

1. Drum machines/beats that sound somewhat mechanical/pounding (see: "Pulp" - Godflesh, "Deconstruction" - Pitch Shifter) OR sampling as percussion

2. Usage of droning chords and/or feedback experimentation (see: "Disconnect Self" - O.L.D., "Citient Null" - O.L.D., "Dream Long Dead" - Godflesh)

3. Very prominent bass. This is a big defining feature of the early stuff that seems to have just disappeared. (see: "Like Rats" - Godflesh, "Citient Null" - O.L.D., "Artefakty" - Senmuth, "Deconstruction" - Pitch Shifter)

4. Industrial metal style chugging. This one is a bit tricky to pinpoint, as a lot of "industrial metal" bands seem to just be using thrash chugging. Industrial metal chug is different. (see: "Gritter" - Pitch Shifter, "Landfill" - Pitch Shifter)

5. LOTS OF FUCKING VOCAL EFFECTS. I fucking LOVE these. Vocals distorted beyond belief are awesome. (see: "Streetcleaner" - Godflesh, "New Flesh P.S.I." - Pitch Shifter)
Hehe, foreskins.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:53 am 

Do you already know Sonic Violence?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRAKe_v63jQ
Should be perfect for you.

..maybe try Skin Chamber too...
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=107989
I think their best song is probably In The Sewer Of Dreams if you can find it somewhere.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:04 am 

That Sonic Violence track is catchy as hell. Gonna get me that album. Thanks man.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 am 

do you know about malhavoc? they should be right up your alley.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 pm 

P.H.O.B.O.S. is awesome and totally deserves a mention.

No youtube links, but the myspace has a couple tracks up that should tickle your fancy. Early Godflesh-style industrial doom metal taken a step beyond.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:01 pm 

@Ribos, I heard Tectonics a while ago. It was alright I think, but I prefer clean vocals in my industrial metal. Harsh ones just dont suit it as well, I think (partly why I'm not AS crazy about O.L.D., though you should look into them since you're an avant-garde metal fan). Could use more drone too.

@korgull, I looked into Sonic Violence and liked what I heard. Vocals are a bit too punky, but it was enjoyable otherwise from what I remember. Will look into Skin Chamber.

@into_the_pit, this looks cool. I'll check out Malhavoc soon. Industrial metal from the late 80s and early 90s is the so-called "golden age" of the genre.

EDIT: Malhavoc seems... Like thrash? Later material certainly aint what Im lookin for either. Also, this post from their Myspace doesn't bode well.

Quote:
Formed in 1983, MALHAVOC helped forge the sub-genre that would eventually be known as "Industrial Metal". Their fusion of heavy guitars, driving mechanical percussion, over-distorted vocals, and sampled electronics would eventually become a template used by such luminaries as MINISTRY, NINE INCH NAILS, and MARILYN MANSON.

Quote:
MINISTRY, NINE INCH NAILS, and MARILYN MANSON

Doin' it wrong, guys. :nono:
Hehe, foreskins.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 pm 

nah malhavoc is by no means shit like NIN/MM. I guess that more or less meant they sort of lay the stylistic foundations for what those abominations you mentioned later perverted "industrial metal" into.

I don't know their later stuff really, but you actually can't go wrong with shrine/release/punishments, check them out. they probably turned to shit later, like so many bands tend to.
I think I have the release/shrine on cd somewhere, so if you can't find it yourself, I'll gladly rip it for you, as I think it's long out of print. I think you'll really like this. give that early material a try.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 pm 

Thats what I was listening to though... I listened to Dunwich Horror, which is apparently off Shrine. Sounded like thrash, really. I dunno, maybe the other songs are more industrial metal-y?

EDIT: Yeah, I downloaded Shrine and I'm sorry, but this just seems like thrash. Maybe slow thrash, but its still thrash. Theres a riff on the first song that sounds like Slaughter, even. Kinda black metal-ish at times as well.

EDIT2: Now, Skin Chamber, this is what Im talkin' about! Nicely done. Listening to "Throb" from Trial now, very good.
Hehe, foreskins.

ferknight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:42 pm 

Not very much into the genre but the last Monolith Deathcult included some good industrial elements into their music. I know it's not what you meant but it's worth checking.
Also latter Atrocity (germany) is more industrial than death.

Edit: checking my collection Aborym would be a better choice.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 pm 

I'll look into it, but like you said Im not looking for death metal.

I also have a sinking suspicion that by "industrial" you just mean "electronic". However, I might be wrong, so I'll keep an open mind.
Hehe, foreskins.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:08 pm 

Ha, this rec immediately brought to mind good ol' Frank Klepacki and a song from the Command & Conquer soundtrack, which probably only vaguely resembles what you're looking for. Definitely has the distorted vocals and prominent bass covered, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfZeIYyL_Gw

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:32 pm 

Aint what Im after, but its neat. Has a Ministry-vibe, actually (though I consider Ministry to be an experimental thrash band).
Hehe, foreskins.

aveksx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:44 pm 

Von.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:15 am 

Glad to hear my recommendations were useful to you.

Skin Chamber was a side project of Controlled Bleeding members.

Another project by Controlled Bleeding/Skin Chamber member Chris Moriarty was Body Clock.
Only one Body Clock CD, entitled Grip Life, was ever recorded and released. It has 20 tracks consisting of a variety of styles from more mellow ambient to very abrasive, noisy industrial metal similar to Skin Chamber. I think you might like at least a portion of this 70 minute disc.
I will list the tracks which I think most fit the description of what you are looking for here if you want to seek them out:

1.Embrace 2.Torment 3.Infested Mind 4.Brain Destroy 5.Tortured World 6.Hatred Thoughts 7. Ride 8.Grip Life

I think the whole CD is a great listen from start to finish, but if you have a certain sound in mind - like what you outlined in your opening post, and wind up hearing one of the lighter tracks first, you might be disappointed. It's like he threw together all of his influences and compiled all the different sort of things he'd been into doing on one CD and didn't worry too much about uniformity of sound or style.

You might also like some of Controlled Bleeding's material.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:50 am 

ferknight wrote:
Not very much into the genre but the last Monolith Deathcult included some good industrial elements into their music. I know it's not what you meant but it's worth checking.
Also latter Atrocity (germany) is more industrial than death.

Edit: checking my collection Aborym would be a better choice.

no, he's looking for sthg. completely different. if it's not malhavoc, it certainly isn't aborym either.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:55 pm 

Blackholepit - Portals (2008)

PugFuglies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 pm 

I wish I could be more specific, but I know for a fact that Skinny Puppy has explored that somewhat. A lot of their music is along the lines of darkwave, industrial rock, dance, whatever. But I've heard some stuff by them that had very aggressive guitar work and blast beats. I'm not familiar with their discography though so I don't know what album(s).

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:26 pm 

Don't know if it's what your looking for, but it's the only bands I could think of that weren't the big time acts like Rammstein or Manson.

Gothminister
Mortiis
Deathstars
Psyclon Nine (there later music has more Black/Extreme elments in it)

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:41 pm 

Even though I don't think Deathstars is what you're looking for, if you happen to like them, check out Pain.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:43 am 

Nooooo no no no. Bands like Deathstars are the total opposite of what Im looking for guys. Hell, Deathstars are practically goth rock with dancey keyboards.

In other news, I just found Skin Limit Show, Pitch Shifter's rhythm guitarist's project after he left that band. Its fucking awesome! :headbang:

EDIT: Aw man, they were only real industrial metal on the full length. EP is groove. :ugh:
Hehe, foreskins.

Last edited by Crick on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:29 pm 

You might enjoy CSSABA, actually. They tend to mix in a bit more black metal, but they've got plenty of those slow crunchy parts a la Godflesh. Just found them (okay, him) a couple days ago, and it's pretty good stuff.

Keep in mind that when I say "black metal elements" in the industrial metal, I don't mean like Aborym and such. It definitely has more of a basis in Godflesh than Aborym.

But then again, if you didn't care too much for P.H.O.B.O.S., you may not care too much for this, either. Hard to say, but worth checking out anyhow.

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:38 pm 

I'll look into it anyway, Godflesh-y bands are appreciated.
Hehe, foreskins.

harbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:24 pm 

Maybe Mezzerschmitt?
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4538

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:17 pm 

Nah. I've heard Mezzerschmitt, its basically technical black/thrash. Neat stuff though.

FOR CLARIFICATION. I want shit like THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ7vmyMKRVk
Hehe, foreskins.

harbringer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:24 pm 

Try the two middle Skrew albums.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:38 pm 

I love the Godflesh/early Pitch Shifter sound. I've got a couple of recommendations for you to check out:

Depressor -- cult US Industrial/Crust act, their early output is pure primitive Godflesh worship. Later stuff is a bit more Death Metal.

Treponem Pal. I have their "Aggravation" album, which I seem to remember was very much in that style, though admittedly I haven't heard it for a while.

Also, you may like "Resilience" the CD by ultra-cult UK Industrial Post-Punk outfit Playground. It strays a bit more into Ministry territory maybe, but is well worth checking out. Their earlier stuff doesn't have a drum-machine, so may not be what you're after (though is still highly recommended).

Other possibilites include the first Meathook Seed album "Embedded", and Blood From The Soul, both side projects involving the ever-prolific Shane Embury.

I hope these are helpful.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:43 pm 

I just remembered another one: Soulstorm (Can)

You can quickly check the brief song samples here at Amazon.com to see what you think. There is a definite early Pitch Shifter/Godflesh vibe going on with them. I have their first two CDs - Darkness Visible (1993) and From Euphoria to Paranoia (1994). They've got your pounding drum machine, bass heavy sound, a bit of droning guitar textures and chugging parts, and lots of vocal effects; sounding right in the same neighborhood as Streetcleaner (the song) and Submit era Pitch Shifter.

Crick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:47 pm 

Wow korgull, this band are great! Thanks a ton you guys, this thread has actually provided me with some great results.
Hehe, foreskins.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:10 pm 

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but would Red Harvest be what you're looking for? I haven't listened in ages, but I believe them to have the qualities you're looking for.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:21 pm 

I presume you're well aware of Fudge Tunnel?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 am 

Going through my tapes and CDs last night looking for things to add to the MA database, I was reminded of one more band I think you may like:

Spine Wrench
http://www.myspace.com/spinewrench
(contains ex-Deviated Instinct members)

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:30 pm 

Hmm, you might like Killing Joke's newer material. Particularly this album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqmFucS35pI

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:39 pm 

Further to my earlier post, I've relistened to my suggestions, and I would definitely urge you to try out Depressor and Treponem Pal. My last 2 suggestions (Meathook Seed and Blood From The Soul) in hindsight probably don't have a prominent enough Industrial element, but are still great albums.

A couple of additional thoughts: have you tried the early Swans stuff ("Cop", "Young God" etc)? They laid the original blueprint for the Godflesh sound, though without the drum machine.

Also, you might possibly like some of Hybernoid's material from "The Last Day Begins", though the melodic/Gothic elements may not be up your street.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:51 pm 

I actually already listen to Hybernoid. Only the first demo though. I'll give the other material another shot.

EDIT: For those who are interested, the first two Fear Factory demos have some industrial metal present on them. Very different from Soul Of A New Machine; much darker and heavier on the Godflesh influence.
Hehe, foreskins.

CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 pm 

Turmion Kätilöt maybe?

Cendelence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:50 pm 

X-Fusion maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA02sFA2 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqyZIGVW ... re=related
Thyrane? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBED5O5T ... L&index=13

Cruxifux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:31 pm 

Try out Nailbomb
They might be a bit heavier than what you're looking for, but very sweet industrial band none the less. They're a collaborative effort between Max Cavalera of Sepultura and Alex Newport of Fudge Tunnel.

Also, check out Front Line Assembly's album "Millenium."
The vocals are cleanish drone for the most part, but it might be a little more electronic than you're looking for.

Also if you REALLY like Nailbomb, N17 is worth looking at. N17 doesn't sound much like your description of what you want, but they sound like a heavier, more upbeat Nailbomb. They also use a lot of vocal distortion, so you might be into them

diesel1977
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 am 

hmm, they might sound too "rocky" and not metal enough but I would suggest trying

Mob Research - "Holy City Zoo" (featuring members from Ministry, Warrior Soul's Kory Clarke and others)
http://www.myspace.com/mobresearch69

also the Cyberpunks (sorry, also not really "metal") from Left Spine Down are worth at least a few seconds of your time for giving them a chance:
http://www.myspace.com/leftspinedown

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 am 

H.O.E.R.

http://www.myspace.com/hoerindustrial

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 pm 

diesel1977, Cruxifux, Cendalence, and CrownOvHorns: did any of you actually READ the thread before posting?
Crick wrote:
Nooooo no no no. Bands like Deathstars are the total opposite of what Im looking for guys. Hell, Deathstars are practically goth rock with dancey keyboards.

He's looking for stuff that sounds like Godflesh or the earliest Pitch Shifter albums. Not EBM with guitars.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next