Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:33 pm 

you know, stuff that not only has a lot of dense and complex riffage, but is also mixed so that at any time, you may have 3 or 4 individual guitars bombarding you, in addition to bass, drums, vocals, and some other misc. instrumentation.

Here are a few examples...

Immolation - Close To A World Below
Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire
Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Negura Bunget - OM
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:34 pm 

Would Anaal Nathrakh fit the bill? Namely their debut.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:38 pm 

Let's get the obvious Antithesis of Light out of the way. Minsk seems quite appropriate as well, any of the three albums would do, I reckon.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:43 pm 

Coroner's Grin and S/T, in the longer songs.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:52 pm 

Not complex, but Drudkh fits this often.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:52 pm 

Strapping Young Lad - City is the obvious one. Absolutely immense sounding album, pretty much anyone who knows it would tell you how perfectly "wall of sound" fits it.

Nintendevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:23 pm 

No no no no no no NO! Everything is Fire is so unbalanced it isn't even funny. The drums have no energy other than the double kick, and the vocals are also obscured behind the eight layers of guitars.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm 

I think The Angelic Process is pretty good at this. So is most shoegaze and drone.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:31 pm 

The Ruins of Beverast, especially the second album. Solid like concrete. It sounds like there's a million things going on in every song.

The first two albums by Lunar Aurora also have this going on I feel. Sounds chaotic at first, until it clicks and everything makes sense.

Svet's Urfaust has the whole guitar layers compressed into each other thing going. Coupled with a very noisy production and it'll take a while to untangle the music, so you get to hear new things constantly your first couple of listens.

Darkspace. While I doubt you'd be unaware of these guys, it's better to err on the safe side. These guys turn black holes and super novas into music, using big, crunchy riffing, harsh, room-filling production and eerie as hell background ambience.

Weakling. A classic mixture of black metal and prog rock that in my opinion succeeds excellently at it. Sounds both larger than life and intensely personal at the same time.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 pm 

AppleQueso wrote:
Strapping Young Lad - City is the obvious one. Absolutely immense sounding album, pretty much anyone who knows it would tell you how perfectly "wall of sound" fits it.

Seconded. I also think "Alien" fits this category as well, pretty damn
intense "wall of sound" for the first 3 tracks. Best example would be the track "Skesis," SO many layers upon layers of sound, including an all girl choir, and even a xylophone (at least I think it is), among others that you can nit-pick with every listen.

I'd also have to go with both releases of Augury. Particularly the newest album, of course. Very complex instrumentation that wraps your head in a unique aural texture.

And finally, I'll go with Mithras - "Forever Advancing... Legions." Talk about other-worldly... This album relentlessly crushes the listener without mercy. Recommended.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:35 pm 

Nintendevil wrote:
No no no no no no NO! Everything is Fire is so unbalanced it isn't even funny. The drums have no energy other than the double kick, and the vocals are also obscured behind the eight layers of guitars.
:nono:

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:44 pm 

mornox wrote:
The Ruins of Beverast, especially the second album. Solid like concrete. It sounds like there's a million things going on in every song.

Ah, been meaning to check that guy's band out for long, because I love his drumming on Kermania's Ahnenwerk.

Sinvocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:45 pm 

THAT is what you mean. Most crushing metal album ever!

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:46 pm 

DawnOfEternity wrote:
I think The Angelic Process is pretty good at this. So is most shoegaze and drone.

I was going to say this myself, so obviously I agree. I don't often associate the wall of noise sound with complex instrumentation. In fact, I usually think of it as just heavy distortion, repetition and simplistic, but effective song structures - The Angelic Process, particularly 'Weighing Souls With Sand' are an excellent example. Nadja, a favourite of mine, also do the same on a lot of their albums - like the re-recorded version of 'Bliss Torn From Emptiness'. Thick guitars, dense production, lots of fuzzyness and then the most beautiful ambiance situated in the middle. Breath taking.

The Ruins of Beverast are a good suggestion, too, if we're talking about a band who are a bit more complex. 'Soil Of The Incestuous' is such an amazing song, and a great example too.

Olias
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 pm 

mornox wrote:

Darkspace. While I doubt you'd be unaware of these guys, it's better to err on the safe side. These guys turn black holes and super novas into music, using big, crunchy riffing, harsh, room-filling production and eerie as hell background ambience.

It's funny, because when I came across this thread, that is precisely what I was listening too, I would have added it had I not seen yours.

Addo_of_nex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:48 pm 

Nocternity's Onyx has always struck me as a total wall of sound album, especially with the drumming.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:52 pm 

Sinvocation wrote:

THAT is what you mean. Most crushing metal album ever!
It certainly is heavy, but it's definitely not layered enough to fit into this topic.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:01 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
Negura Bunget - OM
Well no wonder why you hate Beherit.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 pm 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
mornox wrote:

Ah, been meaning to check that guy's band out for long, because I love his drumming on Kermania's Ahnenwerk.

What really surprised me was that he did everything himself on those albums and achieving something comparable to the level of quality of his old band Nagelfar.

Also second the mention of Nocternity's Onyx, as well as the companion album A Fallen Unicorn.

Hellveto fits the criteria quite nicely. I only have the first couple of albums, of which In Arms of Kurpian Phantom is probably the most layered and complex one.

I also just put on Grim Funeral's debut full-length and while it isn't necessarily super complex, it definitely has an overwhelming wall of sound. You're constantly smothered in streams of guitars, bass and synths. It's also grim as fuck.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:56 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
Negura Bunget - OM
Well no wonder why you hate Beherit.
yah... I like music with depth, played by competent musicians. That's not so unusual, is it?

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:28 pm 

What about The Ocean? Especially 'Precambrian' sounds tight and dense throughout the complete 2 disc release.

Zhuinden
Slow on the Uptake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 pm 

Monolithe - Monolithe II. I think.

olak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 am 

While I'd assume you're aware of it, I'll mention Isis's Panopticon just in case.

And if you enjoy the Strapping Young Lad albums (or maybe even if you don't), Devin Townsend's solo stuff is very wall-of-sound-ish, Infinity in particular, as well as Terria which is an album i couldn't recommend enough.

raveneyeslikemirrors
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:11 am 

Hidden in the Fog - Damonkles

There is a reason why the band is called Hidden in the Fog.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:07 am 

olak wrote:
While I'd assume you're aware of it, I'll mention Isis's Panopticon just in case.

I'd say 'Oceanic' is more applicable, its not as clean. Though considering he listens to Neurosis, I imagine he already knows Isis. Most people do.

If Velvet Cacoon are suitable, then so are Wrath of the Weak.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 am 

third-ing/forthing The Angelic Process, either Coma Waering or Weighing Souls with Sand will do nicely, both are pretty much the best albums ever. Darkspace will also fit well.

For some stuff that's a true wall of sound though I'd recommend Belong's October Language. It's ambient but not hugely droney or boring, and it is a really, really big wall of sound. It's basically a one trick pony sort of thing, but it is great, check it out.

I'd also recommend Nadja but would recommend you get their Touched remake as opposed to the Bliss Torn from Emptiness re-make, I think it's a lot better.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 pm 

How about Leviathan's "The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide"?

Some great riffing, definite wall of sound going on there, and a very heavy album. I have to second Darkspace and Urfaust.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:55 pm 

olak wrote:
And if you enjoy the Strapping Young Lad albums (or maybe even if you don't), Devin Townsend's solo stuff is very wall-of-sound-ish, Infinity in particular, as well as Terria which is an album i couldn't recommend enough.

Second this, particularly Infinity and Ocean Machine.

Behemoth's later albums have a real collosal sound to them, but the one I want to recommend are Satanica. All the other modern death albums by the band are hard hitting, but this one really sounds like you're in a field of locusts. The overpowering force knocks you off your feet and the riffs are all over the place without wanking off.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

oneinfinity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:37 pm 

Try out "The Ritual Fires of Abandonment" by Minsk and "Back to Times of Splendor" by Disillusion.

Wrong.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:45 pm 

Xasthur's Subliminal Genocide.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic