Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hybrid_Thing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:24 pm 

...is what I've been searching for a while. The whole thing steems back from an argument my mom and I had once. She's an opera teacher, and often comments how good and trained female vocalists in metal are, but she often frowns at the harsh vocals of males. She also dislikes their clean vocals, lol. She keeps saying the instrumentation and what not is awesome, but that she'd enjoy the music more if the male vocals weren't involved.

So yeah, I'm looking for a Haggard-like band with no harsh vocals and with a male vocalist that's actually classically trained. So far Therion's the closest thing I've found...any recommendations?

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:01 pm 

Hybrid_Thing wrote:
...is what I've been searching for a while. The whole thing steems back from an argument my mom and I had once. She's an opera teacher, and often comments how good and trained female vocalists in metal are, but she often frowns at the harsh vocals of males. She also dislikes their clean vocals, lol. She keeps saying the instrumentation and what not is awesome, but that she'd enjoy the music more if the male vocals weren't involved.

So yeah, I'm looking for a Haggard-like band with no harsh vocals and with a male vocalist that's actually classically trained. So far Therion's the closest thing I've found...any recommendations?

Listen to Virgin Black's 'Requiem - Mezzo Forte'. They had a whole orchestra backing them up in the recording of this album. In particular show your mum the first song 'Requiem, Kyrie.'

The album features a male and a female clean vocalist with obvious classical/opera vocal training.

Note that on this album, there is one growl in the beginning of the fifth song 'Domine'.

Hybrid_Thing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:47 pm 

Thanks! She loved it. Are the band's other albums like that, too? Are there any other bands like them?

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:08 pm 

Here's a really obscure Romanian gothic metal band called Stih:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsL1L6mm_2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=All8N7jS ... re=related
not really symphonic, but it has some nice violin and piano-sounding keyboards.

Reply to topic