Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
holocaust666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:23 pm 

I'm looking for an Avant Garde Style similar to Diablo Swing Orchestra,an eg.of their stlye would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsmAF9cVPm4

In particular,the Jazz/Swing style of the Cello & the Operatic vocals.Another eg. would be the band Unexpect antd their album In A Flesh Aquarium.Thanks in advance

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:04 pm 

Estradasphere might be right up your alley. And of course there's plenty of stuff by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum as well

EDIT: before I forget, early stuff by Banane Metalik

holocaust666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:50 am 

I like Estradasphere's style,although the violinist gets way too much attention sometimes.:grumble: other than that,they're pretty awesome.I'm not feeling the Museum & Banane Metalik as much but it's appreciated.

~Guest 80528
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:47 am 

http://www.myspace.com/thetruephazm

The track "damnation" is pretty much weird swingin' death metal (tho nothing operatic here)

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 pm 

Although more death metal-oriented, you can try Gorod's Leading Vision and Trepalium's latest two, especially the song Sick Boogie Murder.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:23 am 

Stolen Babies doesn't go for the operatic edge, but you've got some classic swing/cabaret style stuff running throughout their album. Okay, and maybe a dash of evil circus music thrown in. But the point is, they're experimental enough and have much of the same stylistic dramatic flair that I feel they fit the rec.

It also helps that they're DAMN GOOD at what they do. It definitely doesn't feel as much like a gimmick as it does for Diablo Swing Orchestra.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:17 am 

As I've said before, Jelonek remind me a lot of DSO without vocals. Also, if you can stand Stolen Babies, then perhaps you'll stomach Svald, another very extravagant band.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:48 am 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
As I've said before, Jelonek remind me a lot of DSO without vocals. Also, if you can stand Stolen Babies, then perhaps you'll stomach Svald, another very extravagant band.

Ugh. I'm really not sure how you can compare Stolen Babies with Svald, aside from both being having somewhat theatric flavors and female vocalists. Instrumentally, Svald is just absolutely bland and generic mallcore-style riffs. While Stolen Babies may not have the most technical guitar parts in the world, they at least play with energy and have half a dozen other instruments doing something else to fill in the space.

Jelonek is okay, but the use of violin instead of vocalist feels like a big gimmick. Get around that, and they're nothing all that special. I wouldn't mind seeing them live opening for someone else, but probably wouldn't buy the album.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:18 am 

I don't see the vast differences between both. Perhaps Stolen Babies have more variety musically (provided by the accordion almost exclusively, if memory serves), but in the end both bands have the same standpoints ("unique/extravagant" female vocal delivery, gimmick-y, overused band image, theatrical circus concept, etc.). Neither band is specially guitar oriented, so the riffs are not a determining factor in this case. There really is no exaggeration in grouping them, and chances are if the OP enjoys one, he'll enjoy the other.

On Jelonek and DSO, well, yes, I know DSO have more going on for them in the long run, but they both have very catchy, danceable, happy songs with an exotic vibe, so there.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:00 am 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
I don't see the vast differences between both. Perhaps Stolen Babies have more variety musically (provided by the accordion almost exclusively, if memory serves), but in the end both bands have the same standpoints ("unique/extravagant" female vocal delivery, gimmick-y, overused band image, theatrical circus concept, etc.). Neither band is specially guitar oriented, so the riffs are not a determining factor in this case. There really is no exaggeration in grouping them, and chances are if the OP enjoys one, he'll enjoy the other.

On Jelonek and DSO, well, yes, I know DSO have more going on for them in the long run, but they both have very catchy, danceable, happy songs with an exotic vibe, so there.

Honestly, I'd sooner put Svald in the same group as Mudvayne and Slipknot before with Stolen Babies. SB is more akin to Unexpect.

Stolen Babies, on top of the accordion, has extra percussion and keyboard work floating around. Furthermore, the bassist plays a string bass on some of the songs, further adding to the musical diversity. And while they aren't as riff-oriented as thrash groups, they at least have riffs instead of straight-forward chord progressions.

Really, the only basis with which to lump Svald and Stolen Babies together is with regards to their band images, which is pointlessly shallow and completely ignores the music behind the groups. You might as well be lumping Repulsion with Paracocciwhatever. Sure, they have similar over-used band images and play music that is of the same pedigree, but it completely ignores everything else involved (including quality). To say that "chances are if someone likes one, he'll enjoy the other" is demonstrably false given my severe distaste for one. Granted, there's a chance he might enjoy both, but I would not put odds favoring it.

holocaust666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:40 pm 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:

Yea i sampled Jelonek,they're pretty much the Devil In the Kitchen of Swing.Awesome.Stolen Babies border too much on the whole punk/anarchy vibe for my tastes though.Still a pretty good band if you're into that stuff.As for Svald,i guess it's their simplicity that defines them.Thanks guys,it's appreciated

Reply to topic