Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sumitgill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:50 pm 

So this band, The number Twelve Looks Like You is actually rather good. Their later stuff is a bit hard to place and is very much an acquired taste but I feel it my duty to plug their first CD "Put On Your Rosy Red Glasses". It seems like the best kept secret of the genre people hate. I haven't fallen for any of the clone bands or deathcore bands or even metalcore bands which is why I choose to write this.
They were my first exposure to music post-rehab (locked up 23 months with nothing more than the radio) and I credit them with getting me into heavier music. I knew nothing of any of the bands that people compare them to and found them amazing. Not only that this CD is the only CD I have ever bought after downloading it. I did this largely out of a feeling of duty.
I guess what I enjoyed about this album is how emotionally intense it was. The production is at the lower end of "good" and it just seems incredibly genuine. Each song segues into the next and it just seems so damn well put together, relentless is the best way to describe it. There is a mix of black-metal type chaos to tracks ranging from noise, grindcore, thrash, power metal, and jazz sections. There is more screaming than grunts but after you get used to it, it reeeeeeeally fucking works. This is one of the first albums I had heard in a long time that seemed like one piece of music in a classical style with an extraordinary finale in the form of the song 'Civeta Dei'.
I hope that my little informative description (I wouldn't call it a review because I am pretty terrible at impromptu writing) has convinced some of you to check it out. I know a torrent place where you can get this CD for free, guaranteed you won't regret it if you are into a lot of different kinds of music as well as metal.
Love, Peace, and Vegan Chicken Grease.

Sumitgill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:54 pm 

Oh! Something to keep in mind is that it isn't boring, musically. More intense and diverse than Dillinger Escape Plan (who I don't like) and doesn't have the "4-minute-grindcore Napalm Death clone" feeling either.

Mystlyfe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:24 am 

I actually enjoy them a fair bit, but their latest CD wasn't that great. It just felt like they were trying too hard. And in general they take as much from hardcore as they do from punk (and throw in a multitude of other genres and odd influences whenever they can).
I kinda wish I didn't have to wake up early tomorrow so I could have seen them open for Dillinger tonight.

Sumitgill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:21 am 

Yeah, I heard their latest music on their myspace and decided from there I wasn't going to buy the latest disc.
I was locked up for two years and coming out and hearing #12 was shocking, I thought it was brilliant after I got used to it. But then I realized all these other bands were doing this 'sort of' thing too, but they don't hit the spot at all like these guys.
You know I think they might be why I dislike Dillinger. They are undeniably talented but after getting used to the screams and occasional growls of #12, the yells from dillinger didn't suit me. I had been conditioned. I had heard a bit of dillinger before I left, but not enough to form a coherent memory of their sound.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:29 pm 

I am going to recommend you two albums. Firstly, Terminally Your Aborted Ghost's 'Slowly Peeling the Flesh from the Inside of a Folded Hand' is amazing experimental death/grind, completely unpredictable with an almost avant garde approach to songwriting but never really turning into noise.

And also the Poolside At The Flamingo full-length 'This Will End Badly' is really amazing, super technical and fairly "wanky" deathcore that is faster and more crazy than 95% of metal out there. A very good album that doesn't get half of the appreciation it deserves.

I'm not sure if they're really hipster to say but I don't see why the hipster crowd wouldn't enjoy them. If you want something really hipster with lots of noisy technicality check out Iwrestledabearonce, but even I'm not pretensious enough to enjoy their music.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Sumitgill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:57 pm 

haha i shall indeed.
I have heard of iwrestledabearonce and i thought the name was hilarious.

CosmicFugue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:03 pm 

The Locust seems to get a bad rap, as well as the hipster label.

hisownfoot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 pm 

Sumitgill wrote:
haha i shall indeed.
I have heard of iwrestledabearonce and i thought the name was hilarious.

they scream hipster faggotry, thats exactly what your looking for actually.

Reply to topic