Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:21 am 

Basically i'm looking to get more Dlyan stuff thats after 1966. The only post '66 album i have so far is the excellent Blood On The Tracks. People seem to rate John Wesley Harding and part of his gospel phase highly, but i haven't heard any of them. Cheers.

balverinerapist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:27 am 

dude, no offence or anything, but if you want bob dylan things... why ask those at a sight for metalheads?

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:36 am 

Metalheads know many things.

balverinerapist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:43 am 

yes but at the most a metalhead would give you the name of a good sight to pick up old albums. 99% chance that no metalhead heres gonna say "oh ofcourse, i did happen to see a bob dylan album". wouldnt it be easier just to do a google search or something?

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:58 am 

balverinerapist wrote:
yes but at the most a metalhead would give you the name of a good sight to pick up old albums. 99% chance that no metalhead heres gonna say "oh ofcourse, i did happen to see a bob dylan album". wouldnt it be easier just to do a google search or something?

Bollocks. Metalheads are quite open minded mostly. I'm sure theres a few Dylan fans around, and if theres not thats too bad for me. I like to get recs in forums from real people.

Wretchedspirit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:15 am 

Oh of course, I did happen to see a Bob Dylan album. I'm curious as to why you want post-1966? I've always maintained that 1964's, The Times They Are a-Changin' was his greatest album.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:34 am 

Wretchedspirit wrote:
Oh of course, I did happen to see a Bob Dylan album. I'm curious as to why you want post-1966? I've always maintained that 1964's, The Times They Are a-Changin' was his greatest album.

Simply because i've heard all the early stuff besides his debut.

The_Beholder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:28 am 

I like the guy but mostly scattered songs from here and there. "Desire" is the only full-length I own and it's from 1975.

balverinerapist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:38 pm 

ha well clearly i was proven wrong. so, why is it that term "bullocks" is used over "bullshit" among metalheads on the archives? is it german or something of the sort? jw

but i do know a place about a block away from my work thats run by an old friend and sells a lot of old records and whatnot rather cheap. ill take a look there for post '66 dylan if i get the chance

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:47 pm 

balverinerapist wrote:
ha well clearly i was proven wrong. so, why is it that term "bullocks" is used over "bullshit" among metalheads on the archives? is it german or something of the sort? jw

but i do know a place about a block away from my work thats run by an old friend and sells a lot of old records and whatnot rather cheap. ill take a look there for post '66 dylan if i get the chance

Bollocks not bullocks. Its an old British slang for testicles. And you ll be surprised to know about the musical preferences of metalheads here. Most music genre can be openly discussed in the tavern.

On topic, I suggest u try Nashville skyline. Its a full blown country album and is not as good as the classic era but you can consider giving it a listen.
A friend of mine who is a Dylan fan told me that his newest is also worth a listen.

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:50 pm 

balverinerapist wrote:

The term is "bollocks" which refer to a guy's nuts. Also, he's not asking WHERE he can find albums to buy, he's just asking which ones he should listen to.

The only post '66 Dylan album I've heard to is Blood on the Tracks, myself, which contains my favourite Dylan song, Idiot Wind. If I'm not mistaken although, I think The Basement Tapes, which is a collection of demo's and suchlike that he recorded with The Band is post '66, although don't quote me on that.

Oelrich
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:54 pm 

I consider the basement tapes to be pretty much mandatory, rates up there with the best of his stuff. John Wesley Hardin and Nashville skyline are also ace imho. I would rate desire pretty high as well.

After spending a while going through his born-again stuff I have found that it is mostly kinda bland, although Infidels is a decent enough record. Can't say anything about his later stuff, however, since I haven't listened to it.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 pm 

Just get John Wesley Harding and leave it at that.

Delduwath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm 

Blood on the Tracks is really the only essential post-'66 Dylan album, though his last few albums (Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times, and Together Through Life) are good for what they are. New Morning really isn't all bad either.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 pm 

'Good as I've Been to You' is a great album. It's a bunch of old folk songs covered by Dylan in (I think) the 90s. It's excellent.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

DoNotResuscitate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:48 am 

All Dylan is good. He's one of the best lyricists of all-time in that he tells a story in every song and not only that more in depth than you'd expect for a 3 or 4 minute track.

I would recommend picking up the 3 Greatest Hits albums and then moving on from there based on which songs you like the most.

By the way, if you ever get to a chance to see Dylan live. DO IT!
"Yeah, I read that board for like 2 weeks when I first signed up a few years ago and determined it was about as intelligent as AOL Metal Chat and the FMP board having a retarded baby." - Dan discusses the M-A Board

Reply to topic