Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:51 pm 

Hello. Care to assist me in finding some suitable late night/very early morning driving music?

What I'm looking for: Basically anything atmospheric, otherworldly or anything with a dark (relative, I know) or depressive feel to it. Preferably something pertaining to black metal, ambient, doom, funeral doom, or any combination therein. I'm usually the only one on the road, or at least one of the very few, so music that would suite that state/feeling would be appreciated.

What I'm not looking for: No power metal, or anything that's TOO catchy. Guitars are fine of course but I'm not looking to focus on riffs at that time of night, but bands that have awesome riffs and have the qualities I described above are fine (Root and Ceremonial Castings come to mind).

Bands I already listen to on the road: Root, Ceremonial Castings, Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist, Tyranny, Evoken, My Dying Bride, Leviathan, Mournful Congregation, Catacombs, and many of the more "well know" funeral doom bands. I'm probably forgetting a few, but I'll sort through it. Thanks!
Death metal is eternal.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:09 am 

In the nightside eclipse by emperor. Also listen to from the pagan vastlands by behemoth. Its one of their old songs when they were black metal. There is just something about it.

Krafty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:23 am 

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God. Pretty creepy desolate black metal, especially the last track.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:54 am 

Walknut - Graveforests and their Shadows

I know I recommend this everywhere but there's a damn good reason why. It's goddamn perfect atmospheric black metal.

Otherwise you may want to try out Summoning. Basically anything by them rocks, although I never heard Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:03 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Otherwise you may want to try out Summoning. Basically anything by them rocks, although I never heard Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

I was going to say this. So I'll second it. Nightshade Forests would be great, especially if you live in lonely desolate woods. Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame would probably work just as well.

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:29 am 

Darkspace - easy to get lost in and I would imagine that this is something you'd listen to on the road at 3 am.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:31 am 

I'd recommend Isis-In the Abscence of Truth, but it almost killed me once while I was driving at late night. I fell asleep at the wheel. Curse you Wrists of Kings!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:55 am 

Check Sjel Av Natten by Forgotten Woods. Nightgaunt's review pretty much says it all.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:26 am 

I second Darkspace, Forgotten Woods, and Walknut. Along with Walknut, try Drudkh's "Forgotten Legends" or anything from Branikald.

Elysian Blaze is a damn good one to try out, very hypnotizing, dark, depressive, and interesting enough to drive with at the same time.

What about Wolves in the Throne Room? Yeah, I know they get a bad rap, but Two Hunters is a good album to drive at 3am with.

Black Funeral is a good one as well. Semi-bad production, but raw and bassy enough to listen to, and has a very occult feel to the music.

Anything by Shining has an atmosphere too great to pass up when it comes down to it.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 pm 

Ok,

Some Asphyx could be good, mainly The Rack and the s/t. The intro and title song of The Rack would definitely be for you, the song is doomy and is really dark, would be killer at night.

I guess Beherit's Drawing Down the moon would be a win too, but you know the release right?

Forest of Equilibrium by Cathedral, some nice a little depressive (some songs are more than others) doom metal, the title track and Ebony Tears are sure to be a good bet.

Anything by Dawn would fit, some swedish black metal in the vein of Dissection, definitely atmospheric.

Dusk is sure to be something you'd like, dark and atmospheric doom/death with really fitting keyboards at places. I just took the bus in the morning and evening (dark outside) listening to their compilation (2 releases put together) and it was a most atmospheric experience. Highly recommended.

Sigh's Scorn Defeat could be interesting, it's dark, really dark and some moments are truly evil and otherwordly. Alon those lines could be Sabbat's Fetishism although catchy at times and more thrash though the sound is really dark and a couple of songs would fit in your description.

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but speaking of Sabbat, their The Dwelling album could be interesting. It's one hour long song, it's rather thrashy at times, but some moments are what we could consider doomy and some leads have a little... mysterious and evil feel. Some parts are faster, slower and it goes through different moods and atmospheres. It's a lot about the guitars, but you don't need to concentrate to feel the atmosphere they convey. There's a couple of rather long instrumental parts. Now I'm thinking more about it, it would be most fitting.

And could I recommend you some... post rock? Seriously, if you don't hate the genre, it's some great nighttime driving music and it's mostly instrumental. Some bands really sound like depressive black metal without vocals, bad or evil sounding production and violent parts. I could compare this to... "unmetal" wolves in the throne room.

Frostwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:20 am 

Drudkh's album Blood In Our Wells as well. Basically all Drudkh stuff works for me

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:30 am 

Tried any old (although post-demo) Abruptum? Not a huge noise fan but their mix of black metal and audial torture is a great listen.

Not what you're looking for at all but I find that DJ Screw is by far the best late night road music.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:48 pm 

Not metal, but anytime Im up at 3am I ahve to hear the KLF song "3am Eternal." Extreme Noise Terror remixed it and its hilarious.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:16 pm 

i used to drive around late as at night listening to DIO. it was great. hey - the song "Speed at Night" is a winner.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:36 pm 

Maybe Esoteric? Fits the description perfectly.

EDIT: You probably already know about them.

Vinvm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:18 pm 

Hmm. Don't listen to too much depressive black metal at that time of night alone. You might end up driving off the road :cry::cry:

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 pm 

Try Horna's Ääniä Yössä. It's a really dark album.

greenandblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:54 am 

For black metal, you might check out Lunar Aurora, in particular the album "Andacht". Amazing band- "Andacht", in my opinion, is more successful at creating a sort of nocturnal, supernatural atmosphere than pretty much anything else I've heard, and is probably the first album I'd pick for driving at 3AM. I'd also second the Darkspace recommendations- they're ambient black metal with a kind of "cosmic void" atmosphere, and I think are perfectly suited to what you're looking for. Maybe Urfaust as well- they might be a little too catchy for you at times, but they're very otherworldly sounding IMO, particularly on the "Drei Rituale Jenseits Des Kosmos" EP.

For doom metal, you might know it already, but diSEMBOWELMENT's "Transcendence into the Peripheral" might be the most otherworldly album I've heard in the metal genre. Incredibly atmospheric, powerful music. (Also possibly the best doom metal album ever. True classic.)

boprobe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:38 am 

Well, not metal, but you could try grouper.

http://www.myspace.com/grouperrepuorg

Also, I was literally driving around ten minutes ago (2:30, close enough) bumpin some Nortt

Reply to topic