Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:54 am 

The title says it all. I'm interested in Boris, and seeing as they had well over 20 different releases, I wanted to know, where should I begin. Please, only recommend studio LPs or EPs. I don't want live albums. I don't really like live albums. The easier it is to get the stuff, the better.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have Boris & Sunn O)))'s Altar album.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:38 am 

Good question, I also asked this question to myself one day. I came to the conclusion to myself that I would start at Flood. I would say that this was a good decision. You may also try Flood as well. However, a Boris expert might suggest differently.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:50 am 

Question is, what sound do you want to hear? Their drone, or their more rockish material?

I'm going to assume that since you listed the Altar album, you're looking at the drone side of things, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Amplifier Worship and Feedbacker are more of the traditional drone sound, making them a bit more accessible. Sun Baked Snow Cave is my personal favorite, but it's also more experimental. Absolutego forms a nice midway point between the two ends, and it's solid enough, but it doesn't quite match the quality of Altar and the others.

Flood is an album I wish I could find, but I've only seen it in a store once... and of course, I passed on it that day. On the other hand, Amplifier Worship seems to be everywhere around here, so you might find that an easy one to pick up.

timtheenchanter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 am 

With boris I started with feedbacker and i found it a great album to start with, they vary so much that I dont think it matters to much. Possibly just go with the albums that have the highest review ratings to begin with, thats how I normally do it.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:42 am 

I've had to sell off most of my Boris collection to help pay the bills, still have a few essentials though.

"Pink" is a solid all-arounder for a noob - touches all their bases of drone, psyche, post-rock, stoner and rock.

"Akuma No Uta" is still varied but a bit more concise than "Pink"; still got some drone, still got some post-rock/gaze, and a lot of rock.

"Heavy Rocks" is just that - their most straight-up and pure stoner rock album.

"Absolutego", "Flood" and "Feedbacker" are all drone but with very different flavors; "Absolutego" is thick and heavy from front to back, "Flood" is one long buildup from tranquil nothinging to chaos, "Feedbacker" jumps back and forth from ethereal to harshness.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:46 am 

I don't think Boris has made a bad record; some I liked better than others, even their weakest albums are still worthwhile.

Here's a great how-to from sr.com:

http://www.stonerrock.com/features/inde ... tureID=135

CosmicFugue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:54 am 

Ah shit, I missed this thread...but I don't think my input could have added any more to what people have already posted. :) I started with "Amplifier Worship" and then moved to "Pink", both of which are on different polarities.

Thor_Evlor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:41 pm 

BTW

Thor_Evlor wrote:
"Pink" is a solid all-arounder for a noob - touches all their bases of drone, psyche, post-rock, stoner and rock.

was not intended to mean that "Pink" isn't a great album (it's somewhere in my Boris Top 5), just that it's perfect for introducing all their flavors in one listening experience.

meleemario
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:43 pm 

I myself started out with Amplifier Worship, then I got the collaboration they did with Sunn O))), then I got Smile (Which really takes alot of getting used to, it's a real grower). Though another really good one is Heavy Rocks (Which I am still in the process of trying to obtain, but i've heard bits and pieces thanks to last.fm)

I will admit they are a strange band to say the least, but once you get used to them, they're not so bad.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.