Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Humanity_Lost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:59 pm 

Hey.
I'm looking for any bands that fall under one of the genres listed above or a cross-over between two or more. A little post-rock is fine too.

I want something that create a feeling of weightlessness and a droned out atmosphere - the less lyrics the better - but it shouldn't be a problem really.

I know the obvious ones, and some underground ones.

I'm looking something very akin but not limited to the sounds of:
Fire on horizon
From oceans to autumn
Pelican
Rosetta
Across Tundras
Novembre
Jesu
Generation of vipers

Thanks.

CosmicFugue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:24 pm 

Check out Isis and Cult of Luna and of course, Neurosis. I've heard that The Ocean are pretty good too.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:29 pm 

^He said he knows the obvious ones, dude.

Anyway, check out Time To Burn, Supercontinent, Red Paper Dragon, Swallow The Ocean, Angel Eyes, Bossk, A Storm of Light, Tesa, Seven Nautical Miles, and Tides.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:57 pm 

Raging Speedhorn, definitely.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:58 pm 

Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment is quite good. Haven't heard their first one or their newest yet, but they're a quality band.

Biomisere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:11 pm 

Intronaut, perhaps? I don't know whether they qualify as obvious or not. Personally, I didn't really like their album(although I just listened to the first few songs, unconcentrated, so I'm not in a position to judge) but I have heard them being praised by a fair share of knowledgeable sludge connoisseurs.

EDIT: MA apparently considers them to be progressive metal. Perhaps they're right. I've had them described to me as sludge before, that's all I know.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm 

I wrote:
The post-metal related genres are among my favorites.

I strongly second the Altar of Plagues recommendation. They are similar to Fen, but with a bit more post-rock influence than them, if I remember correctly. Their debut is absolutely fantastic.

Also seconding Fen.

I only have the Temporary Antennae from Caïna, and I haven't noticed too many similarities between them and Fen/Altar of Plagues. But you already know about them.

Since you already know Cult of Luna, and undoubtedly Isis (you DO know Isis, right?), Callisto should be an obvious choice. I've just started listening to them recently, in fact, but they are great.

Neurosis seem to get put in this crowd fairly often, being that they really helped kickstart it, but I don't think they are actually a part of the same genre (I'm not an expert though, so correct me if I'm wrong.); regardless, you will probably like The Eye of Every Storm.

Amesoeurs debut/departure album fits the style at times, though it also dabbles with a more black metal approach, as well as shoegaze. Lots of different styles within the album, so I recommend it, because at least a couple of them are bound to fit your taste.

While not exactly metal (though there is some metal influence), Irepress may work for you as well. They pull in a lot of different styles, kind of a smorgasbord of instrumental post-rock/prog/metal and who knows what. I don't mean that they jump around from genre to genre though, I mean that they blend the styles to create their own quite unique sound. Both of their releases are quite good, but I prefer their debut, Samus Octology. They may or may not fit be what you're looking for, though.

Seconding Agalloch's Ashes Against the Grain. A marvelous album (One might call me an Agalloch fanboy, though, so take it as you will.), though certainly not so entrenched with the post-rock sound as some of the other bands listed here, like Isis and Cult of Luna.

I'm going to assume you've heard Isis already, but if you haven't, check out all of their full-lengths, particularly those after Celestial. Isis are easily my favorite band in the genre. (I'm also an Isis fanboy, though :P)

Battle of Mice is an interesting band in the genre. I found out about them when their debut came out. They've got a female frontman (err, front-woman), so that's a nice change of things. Some of the songs work really well, others, not so much. Regardless, you may like them, so give their debut a shot. They sound pretty different from the other bands listed.

Caldera is solid an stoner/doom/post-metal band. I gave their album a few spins. Noktorn's review is pretty spot-on. They're good, and fresh, but not really amazing, in my opinion. Certainly worth listening to, at the very least.

Giant Squid are a band that I just recently checked out. Their debut is pretty interesting. I can't tell you much about it, because I didn't give it a thorough listen, but I do remember it being loaded with atmosphere, and I think it had some cellos and whatnot, if I'm not mistaken.

I heard good things about Intronaut and downloaded some of their stuff, but I've yet to check it out yet.

Pelican's The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw is also worth noting, as Ilwhyan already pointed out. They always seemed to have a very grand soundscape to me. I don't really care for their newest album.

I guess that's about it. :)

From here.

Humanity_Lost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:31 am 

Quote:
^He said he knows the obvious ones, dude.

Anyway, check out Time To Burn, Supercontinent, Red Paper Dragon, Swallow The Ocean, Angel Eyes, Bossk, A Storm of Light, Tesa, Seven Nautical Miles, and Tides.

I know of Bossk, Tesa, A storm of light, Angel Eyes. I will listen to the rest, thanks.

The_Orphanizer: I know of all the bands you've mentioned, thanks though.

Reply to topic