Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:33 pm 

What are some bands, new or old, that you believe are too deep in the underground for how good they are? For me its Askival. I just found them today, and the music sounds like something that should definitely be far more recognized by all metalheads. Its original and emotional folk/black metal that follows its own path, and yet I see it only has one review, and I've never heard them talked about ever.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:42 pm 

Fist In Fetus:
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=111352

Absolutely awesome death/grind with really well done orchestrations.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:03 pm 

Totalselfhatred. Beautifully depressive black metal of the more melodic and well-produced variety.

and
AppleQueso wrote:
These guys too. :thumbsup:

sammy6105
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:08 pm 

Totalselfhatred is going to develop a following for sure. Every review, whether in print or on the web, has been great.

I always felt Aurora Borealis should've gotten more attention, especially for the drummers. Throughout all the releases, Ron has used Tony Laureno, Derek Roddy, and Tim Yeung. Not a bad group of bashers.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:09 pm 

Hagal. Pagan black metal, Bathory meets Nagelfar meets trilogy era Ulver stuff. The "Karg" demo is mindblowing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:16 pm 

Later-era Angel Dust, sometimes it's absolutely fucking brilliant and should be heralded by all. Dirk Thurisch's voice rules and the guitar work is always snappy, aggressive and catchy as Hell, and the songs themselves are constructed extremely well. Enlighten the Darkness is one of the best PM albums of the modern day.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 pm 

Estatic Fear, for sure. Although they are disbanded now, they used to play some beautiful doom/folk(?) metal. really. Absolutely amazing. I've always wondered why this guy didn't get much recongnition, given that there are many who would really enjoy their style.

They only released two albums, Somnium Obmutum and A Sombre Dance, and both are awesome.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

Neantise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:27 pm 

Please people, listen to Valuatir. They are really a great band. Their music is black/folk metal, though they call it "Keltik Metal". The originality comes from the really great use of bagpipes, which gives a very epic and "keltic" sound, but no happy music here, it is energic and tragic.
Their lyrics, in French, are really well written. They tell stories about ancient times, often with a dramatic, hopeless feeling, or with the hate that lacks in most folk metal bands.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540263075
Last.fm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:45 pm 

Brimstone (Swe) - They've only released one album and they sound awesome, but no one ever mentions them. They blend heavy metal, power metal, and melodic death better than most bands in the game and still retain that 80s cheesiness, even though the album was released in 1999.

Dawn (Swe) are the exact same almost, and so is Edge of Sanity. No one cares to ever mention these guys and the little circles are all they have. They deserve far more recognition than any shitty metalcore band or deathcore band that sucks but people can't seem to stop talking about.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:03 pm 

Forefather - easily the best viking metal band ive ever heard
Septic Flesh - actual melodic death metal with actual symphonic work and opera vocals

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:03 pm 

DeathcoreDecimator wrote:
What are some bands, new or old, that you believe are too deep in the underground for how good they are? For me its Askival. I just found them today, and the music sounds like something that should definitely be far more recognized by all metalheads. Its original and emotional folk/black metal that follows its own path, and yet I see it only has one review, and I've never heard them talked about ever.

I came into this thread to post this band. I absolutely worship both the demo and album. Absolutely beautiful music, and being Scottish it really awakens a sense of pride. Their logo is beautiful, the album's cover art is beautiful, the music is beautiful. It's simpy an amazing band and I urge you all to go check them out. I was planning on writing my first review for Eternity, but then PerplexedSej got there first and wrote a far superior review to anything I could ever hope to write haha

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:06 pm 

DragonForce and Metallica

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:12 pm 

LordGothic wrote:
Septic Flesh - actual melodic death metal with actual symphonic work and opera vocals

This person sepeak only the truth. (This part of the post, at least, by my knowledge)

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

ThrashTilDeath3
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm 

Suspyre

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm 

Dawn of Azazel: chaotic blackened death metal band from New Zealand.

Coffins: Excellent death/doom metal band with influences from Celtic Frost and Autopsy from Japan.

Burn to Black: very good blackened thrash metal band from Canada. Sam Dunn is the bassist.

Thornafire: sick-sounding death metal from Chile in the vein of Morbid Angel, Immolation, Incantation and others.

Yyrkoon: great modern death metal band from France

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 pm 

sammy6105 wrote:
Totalselfhatred is going to develop a following for sure. Every review, whether in print or on the web, has been great.

I actually bought the TSH album when I was looking for some new black metal one day. Pleasantly surprised, one of the few bands that knows how to do the whole "depressive" black metal thing and actually sound good.

ThrashTilDeath3
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:17 pm 

Ethereal Collapse

Children_Of_The_Sea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 pm 

Brutality. They are a great old school death metal band that doesn't ever really get talked about.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:29 pm 

Children_Of_The_Sea wrote:
Brutality. They are a great old school death metal band that doesn't ever really get talked about.

Their debut is fucking cool, I really like how much variety it has between songs. I mean you get an instrumental, a classical piece and then a straightforward DM song all in three songs in a row.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:35 pm 

The Clan Destined, Martin Walkyier's latest project. Released one demo that was fucking amazing.

Leishmaniasis and Extremely.Rotten.Flesh, two Colombian brutal death metal that would wipe the floor with 95% of popular death metal.

Wervolf. Tons of highly rated reviews yet very little real recognition.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:36 pm 

LordGothic wrote:
Forefather - easily the best viking metal band ive ever heard

I've only heard Steadfast, but that is one hell of an album, so I'll agree to this.

Myrkgrav must be mentioned in this thread. Trollskau, Skrømt og Kølabrenning is one of the finest albums I've ever heard and am ever likely to hear. Folk metal done to perfection. More people should hear this band.

- Tim Minchin

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:39 pm 

There was a folk metal band who's name began with K (not Korpiklaani, Kaupl...something) that primarily sung about trolls that had a really solid debut. Can someone jog my memory?

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:44 pm 

Adramelch, of Italy. Their debut was the album Fates Warning could/should/would have released had they kept Arch for another album. Amazingly epic traditional/power, with quite a bit of thrash in the riff style. They broke up for a long time, but their reunion disc was almost as excellent.

NocturnalHolocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:51 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
Coffins: Excellent death/doom metal band with influences from Celtic Frost and Autopsy from Japan.

I absolutely agree.

I'd like to throw in Church of Misery. They're a stoner/doom band from Japan who like to write about serial killers. Great stuff.

Gravemarker
The Bloody Heartland

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:56 pm 

NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
Shadoeking wrote:

I absolutely agree.

I'd like to throw in Church of Misery. They're a stoner/doom band from Japan who like to write about serial killers. Great stuff.

Coffins are pretty well known, methinks.

Atrek (Black Metal form Chile, not listed in the archives) belong in this thread.

KiwiPhoenix777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:23 pm 

Luna Obscura. A great gothic/doom/death metal band with heavy guitars and two excellent vocalists.

PinkNmetal
Unsolicited care for desperate laddies

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:51 pm 

Gallhammer! :3

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:14 pm 

PinkNmetal wrote:

Strange, I normally found them to get a deserving amount of praise on other parts of the internet.

I'd say Tarot, but I'd look overly obsessive and whorish doing so, thus, no.

Last edited by Sagebear on Sat May 23, 2009 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:17 pm 

Svafnir (ger)

Specifically their latest release. Pagan metal with magnificent acoustic work. Their older stuff is good, but The Heathen Chapters is by far their best work thus far.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:18 pm 

NocturnalHolocaust wrote:
Shadoeking wrote:

I absolutely agree.

I'm going to third that and I'll have to get back to you on Church of Misery.

Gravemarker wrote:
Coffins are pretty well known, methinks.

They're getting to be more well-known, but they definitely need to come a little further out from the underground.

I will also have to say Hooded Menace. Someone on this board recommended them for fans of Coffins. Death/doom. Their full-length, Fulfill the Curse, is fucking awesome. Too bad that the line-up on that album won't continue, because it's the icing on the cake of awesome music that has come out the past 3 years as far as I'm concerned.

ScourgeOfDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:18 pm 

Runemagick!! Death/ Doom.
I dont think many people know about them and they are very good on their first 3.

Grim Reaper.. And dont give me the "everyone knows about them" looks. The band is well known but doesnt get the same amount of respect as Accept, Riot or Manilla road, even though they are as good as these bands. People definitely need to pay more attention towards them.

And you are right in mentioning Tarot, sagebear.

PinkNmetal
Unsolicited care for desperate laddies

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:21 pm 

Sagebear wrote:
PinkNmetal wrote:

Strange, I normally found them to get a deserving amount of praise on other parts of the internet.

I should pay more attention then...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:22 pm 

Sagebear wrote:
PinkNmetal wrote:

Embrace your obsessive whoreishness.

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Sagebear wrote:
PinkNmetal wrote:

There are some things I'm not willing to embrace, even if it means Tarot.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:28 pm 

Incantation. They just make really awesome, consistent death metal and have managed to spawn a few classics in the process (Golgotha and Throne of Nazarene). I own their discography and the only album that really didn't click with me was "The Infernal Storm", other than that I can pretty much go into any of their records and expect to have a goat worshiping, headbanging good time. They definitely deserve more respect, if not for "Nazarene" alone. That album is truly evil. It gives the Pope nightmares, and violates him while he sleeps.
Death metal is eternal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:28 pm 

Sagebear wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Sagebear wrote:
PinkNmetal wrote:

There are some things I'm not willing to embrace, even if it means Tarot.

:lol: Alright. Tarot do rule though, so I'll just mention them for you. Kickass band with some of the best modern Traditional Metal songwriting around, and some of the best vocals, too.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:31 pm 

Motherfuckin' Gammacide!! I actually recently discovered Gammacide. Victims Of Science rivals classics such as Darkness Descends and Reign In Blood. Brutally fast and dark riffing and paranoid screaming vocal work.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:37 pm 

I really do wish more people would pay attention to Diapsiquir, but they're probably too "random" for the usual audience. I don't really see how though. Maybe their first full length is traditional enough to garner more fans, it's nothing but ridiculously catchy riffs out the ass (well, for the most part - I find the title track to fall a bit short).

Gargoyle, the japanese thrash band that is, need much more attention. Consistantly kicking ass since 1989. Fuck the aging thrasher image, they're near completely exempt from it as far as I'm concerned.

Helel could use more attention, seeing as how they perfectly capture that feeling of airy, epic music yet also add a nice touch of ridiculous rapid electronic music.

Alien Deviant Circus as well, seeing as how their demo "En To Pan Omegas" is one of the most pounding, destructive and raw releases in current times.
Hehe, foreskins.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:57 pm 

Dream Death.

Excellent Death/Doom Metal that hails from Pittsburgh, Journey into Mystery is their only record and was released in 1987, it is absolutely spectacular.

My Last.fm

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:27 am 

Crick wrote:
Gargoyle, the japanese thrash band that is, need much more attention. Consistantly kicking ass since 1989. Fuck the aging thrasher image, they're near completely exempt from it as far as I'm concerned.

I would love to check out this band, but I cannot find information in English outside of this site.

For me, though, I'd say Ulcerate. I know a few other people here have heard of them, but for everyone else, they are probably the best and most original death metal I have heard. No -core shit, no "look at us, we're weird!" avant-gardisms, but not a rehash of the old-school style either. Really, best I can describe is if Gorguts' From Wisdom To Hate was much more atmospheric. Anyone who considers themselves a fan of death metal should check out their 2009 album, Everything Is Fire. I can't wait to hear more from them.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next