Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:50 am 

Pretty self-explanatory request here, I'm looking for some technical death/thrash, something in between Coroner and Origin or something. Lots of thrash riffs and a healthy injection of pinch harmonics. A good chunk of death metal brutality as well. A good, strong production is also asked for, I don't want anything muddy. Thanks in advance...

Oh, and it musn't be BORING!

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:41 am 

Revocation. 'Nuff said.

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am 

Torture Squad?

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:51 pm 

Wet Pussy wrote:
Revocation. 'Nuff said.

Revocation is a poor man's The Forsaken. (Check out "Cold Flesh Colony") :P I remember Revocation being decent, but not great. They are more technical than The Forsaken, though.

The Forsaken is probably among the more intense death/thrash bands around. While they do have some technical flair, I wouldn't call them "technical," per se, and certainly not to the extent of Coroner or Origin. They do have some Gothenburg moments here and there, but for the most part, they are far more brutal than every other band to come out of that genre. Arts of Desolation is a very strong, brutal, death/thrash album.

Sadus should be the most obvious answer to this thread, but I'm assuming you've already heard them. Swallowed in Black is absolutely essential.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:52 am 

Please don't shit all over me here, but...what are pinch harmonics? I see that term all the time and never had the balls to ask, but I can't hide forever. Shame on me.

I'll try to recommend something here anyway. Give Centaurus-A a go. They have plenty of death/thrash riffs around, even though it leans more on the death metal side of the spectrum.

Also try Yyrkoon. I only have their latest two, which could be what you're after, but Dying Sun is a lot more thrashier, from memory. I didn't like what I heard there, but maybe you will.

Aspid could be another band you'd be interested in. It's more of a brutal thrash album, but it may fit to what you're after. It has a little bit of technicality involved, as well. Think of a sped-up Destruction with Russian vocals and you're close to what it sounds like.

Can't particularly think of any others at this point.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:26 am 

I know this probably isn't what you had in mind, but it is technical death/thrash. Extol's Synergy album.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:37 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Please don't shit all over me here, but...what are pinch harmonics? I see that term all the time and never had the balls to ask, but I can't hide forever. Shame on me.

I asked this on the FFA some months back, and it's that beep-beep-beep sound from the guitars. Necrophagist's To Breathe in a Casket is an example.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:43 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I asked this on the FFA some months back, and it's that beep-beep-beep sound from the guitars. Necrophagist's To Breathe in a Casket is an example.

I think I get what you mean: So, for example, you're talking about the main section at :21, that is a pinch harmonic?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:57 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I think I get what you mean: So, for example, you're talking about the main section at :21, that is a pinch harmonic?

So annoying!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:34 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Listen to the new Malignancy album. Its riddled with pinch harmonics everywhere.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:13 am 

Thanks for the replies guys, got plenty of awesome to keep me going now. :thumbsup:

Nered
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:03 am 

Decapitated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEmepOLgR3k

fatrat600284
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:38 pm 

Try Hellwitch they are good old school Tech Death band with a lot of thrash metal in there music.

Here are some songs from there last album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASvwPMvy6Y8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st4sZ9MD8xI

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:59 pm 

Definitely check out the first two Obliveon albums. Nemesis in particular is a landmark.

eliasss
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:23 am 

why don't you check out Exmortus they are a pretty awesome band although they are more of a technical thrash with a bit of death . i'm definitely sure you're gonna like them. Also they have only got one album
in which i believe you should first listen to "axes of war" it's the most technical out of that album

MarbhDamhsa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:10 am 

I can't believe no one mentioned Sadus' first album. It's not all uber-technical in all the songs, but the ones where it is reminds strongly of Watchtower - especially in the bass (prominent and played like a main instrument)

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:37 am 

Try later Dark Angel.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic