Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 am 

So like the title suggests, I am looking for "Depressing"-sounding Doom, or Folk Metal of any kind. Doom recommendations should have "clean" vocals I.E. Rob Lowe, Messiah, etc... I want something that is just wallowing in misery and pain. Most people might feel that requesting depressing doom is redundant, but in my experience a lot of doom does not sound very "depressing," but rather "evil," and "mysterious."

Folk Metal recommendations are pretty self-explanatory. I'm looking for absolutely anything depressing in this department. Vocal-styling is not a big deal here, but if there's a balance between clean/harsh vocals, then that's cool too. Gregorian chanting-esque things, like from Empyrium's last two records would really work too.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:34 am 

For folk, check out Diadema Tristis. Beautifully gloomy and depressing folk (metal).

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:34 am 

Will do.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:27 am 

I know it seems like an obvious recommendation but Primordial is right up this alley. Many of their songs deal with being conquered/hopeless. Their newest album "To the Nameless Dead" deals heavily with these issues. This is a pretty well known album so if you already know about it I am sorry.

The problem with your request is that any time Folk Metal deals with "gloomy" issues for more than one song, it ends up being labeled "Viking Metal" on the archives. This is an issue that I have neither the time nor patience to deal with.

If I had to recommend one album as far as Viking Metal goes though (in the last year at least), Crom's (Ger) self titled debut is absolutely amazing. I know I've probably posted in multiple threads about this album but it is seriously that good. Even if it is not what you are looking for, that album will satisfy you in some way/shape/form.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:44 am 

If you don't mind doom/death metal, you have to hear Katatonia's ''Dance of December Souls''. I'm sure you like it, contains a very emotional vocalist. :)

TheMartyrOfBeauty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:52 am 

Uaral is perfect for you.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 am 

A long shot, but you might really like Agalloch. Chance that you already know them is quite big though.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:54 pm 

I know about Agalloch, but I've never taken the time to thoroughly investigate them.

I appreciate all of the input within this thread so far. Thank you, to everyone. I will take every recommendation into account.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:33 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
For folk, check out Diadema Tristis. Beautifully gloomy and depressing folk (metal).

This band isn't really depressing, though they do have some beautiful folk melodies (perhaps a tad too Latin-sounding for American listeners). The vocals suck though. Uaral is a band that has gotten a lot of mention around here of late, and with good reason. I second them. Also, you may like Vo Skorbyah, Kranium and Alkonost.

Celtic_Fire_666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:21 pm 

One word, Wormphlegm. They will send chills up your spine the first time you listen to them.
If this dude lives like Methusaleh, he could still have his whole life ahead of him. I think a 1000 year sentence would have sent a better message: Not even your fictional biblical ancestors would get outta this, pal.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 am 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
I know about Agalloch, but I've never taken the time to thoroughly investigate them.

Know in advance, I don't think Agalloch will be what you're looking for (I adore the band, mind you). They will be more on the "mysterious" side of things. They've got some more somber and melancholic tunes, so some material that will likely fit, but as for an entire album or release, I think you may be disappointed in regards to what you're looking for.

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:22 am 

While Heaven Wept
Warning

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:11 pm 

For the depressing, doomy stuff, give (early) Beyond Dawn a try. Everything up to and including Electric Sulking Machine is good, and I think something like you are seeking. After that they aren't as gloomy and add more 'electro' elements.

I'd recommend starting with the album Pity Love. At times it's a bit like My Dying Bride's mellower moments - except with trombone rather than violin.

Maybe not the best song, but the only one from that album on YouYube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrcY8DeHYW8

The songs Cigarette from the later album Electric Sulking Machine and Clouds Swept Away the Colours from the earlier EP Longing for Scarlet Days are also on YouTube and well worth checking out if you are at all interested.

One of my all-time favorite bands.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:44 pm 

I second Uaral and Primordial. Moonsorrow's Verisäkeet is very doomy and features lots of folk elements and influences. It has both the extreme darkness and gloominess and the heartfelt melancholia and sorrowful atmosphere of doom metal.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:28 pm 

Forest of Shadows, specifically the EP "Where Dreams Turn to Dust." A good mixture of harsh vocals and clean, and very very emotional and depressing.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:10 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I second Uaral and Primordial. Moonsorrow's Verisäkeet is very doomy and features lots of folk elements and influences. It has both the extreme darkness and gloominess and the heartfelt melancholia and sorrowful atmosphere of doom metal.

I have every Moonsorrow record. Thanks for the thought, however.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:40 am 

I second the recommendation for Warning. Watching From A Distance is the easily the most outright depressing album I've ever heard.

Agalloch work too. Agalloch's most depressing stuff is on the second half of The Mantle, but Ashes Against the Grain has its moments too (mainly Limbs and Fire Above, Ice Below).

ergottenstench
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
I second the recommendation for Warning. Watching From A Distance is the easily the most outright depressing album I've ever heard.

yes definitely check out warning (UK) if you haven't already. Really good and depressing clean vocals on "Watching From A Distance"

Matty_The_Emo_Slayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:03 am 

+1 to Primordial.

For something a bit more Folk but still very solemn (and a Doom band too) check out Mael Mórdha, also of Ireland. In fact Ireland has a good bit of melancholic Doom but if you want stuff with clean vocals Graveyard Dirt would be the best.

http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/inde ... Blaze_Zine

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:51 am 

colin040 wrote:
If you don't mind doom/death metal, you have to hear Katatonia's ''Dance of December Souls''. I'm sure you like it, contains a very emotional vocalist. :)

I have a feeling that this record will rape my soul.

Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:03 am 

I am with you. I am always looking for something similar to candlemass but am rarely satisfied. One good band you might like is UK's Solstice. The singer has a great voice and they have sort of an epic doom theme. Halcyon is a good one.

Summerwind_Heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:32 pm 

How about Silent Stream of Godless Elegy? Doomy/folk metal with mixed clean female vocals and harsh vocals. Beautiful use of cello, as well.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
colin040 wrote:

I have a feeling that this record will rape my soul.

In the same vein, I'm strongly recommending Mar De Grises. Death/doom that has a pretty depressing sound; the vocalist sometimes sound devastatingly miserable.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:51 pm 

For really depressive doom I'll throw in Funeral (Nor). Try the album "From These Wounds". It's so bleak, depressing and hopeless. And has clean vocals. Should be right up your alley!

Reply to topic