Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:25 pm 

As a metal head, my prefrences have always been toward very epic and theatrical metal, i.e. power metal, viking metal, etc. A question has come to my mind from time to time and i wonder if any body can really answer it for me: Are there any bands that specifically play heavy metal that is D&D/Fantasy based that are not associated with another genre of metal (such as black metal, pagan, folk, you get the idea). Thus far, the only band I have been able to find is The Sword, and even then I am uneasy about say that.
And yes, i am aware that genres such as power metal cover these subjects occasionally, but i am looking for bands that are exclusively playing the subject at hand, and if so, can Fantasy metal become its own genre (or if there is already one out there)?

TyranTReX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:48 pm 

Fantasy metal doesn't sound very metal to me. Sounds more like Demons & Wizards.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm 

one of the best 'fantasy' bands out there is blind guardian. If you like Tolkien then their album 'nightfall in middle earth' is recommended. However 'tales from the Twilight world" is one of my favourite BG albums.
Oh and Rhapsody (of fire) are good aswell if you like fantasy/classically influenced metal.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:47 pm 

Listen to Human Fortress, especially Defenders of the Crown. Just as awesome as any of the best Blind Guardian albums.

Rhapsody sucks, don't bother.

Smeg_head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:05 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Listen to Human Fortress, especially Defenders of the Crown. Just as awesome as any of the best Blind Guardian albums.

even if it wasn't recommended for me thanks for the recommendation, will check them out.

I disagree, Rhapsody began to suck big time later on. However, they're earlier stuff is quite good. Not amazing but ok.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:08 pm 

Smeg_head wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

even if it wasn't recommended for me thanks for the recommendation, will check them out.

I disagree, Rhapsody began to suck big time later on. However, they're earlier stuff is quite good. Not amazing but ok.

Yeah, I guess I was a bit harsh, but really Rhapsody do nothing for me and I see no reason to lower my standards to listen to them.

And yes, every PM fan should check out the first two HF records.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

While I really don't want to turn this into a "Rhapsody is good/bad" thread, I have to recommend that the OP check them out. Their music has a decidedly "epic" tone, and a fantasy concept album (Or several of them) seems to be right up his alley, based on his request.

As far as theatrical music goes, the two most theatrical bands that I can think of offhand are Professor Fate, and Devil Doll.

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 pm 

Yeah, i appreciated the opinions but can we please refrain from saying what does and does not suck. Remember kids, One man's wine is another man's poison.
Checked out Human fortress, BTW, and that was a good recommendation, thanks. Keep throwing bands my way guys

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 pm 

i thought "The Sword" was a stoner rock band, maybe im thinknig of a differnt band?

i secnod the suggestions of RHAPSODY and BG also, have you heard of fantasy power metal band 'BATTLELORE'? modern fantasy PM with heaps of symphonic, epic shit going down, imagery etc. theyre heavily Tolkien influenced as well. im pretty impressed with them. whole lotta female vocals mixed with more metal-ly sorta stuff. check em out.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:54 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=145001

That's a pretty D&D-esque album, albeit very bland and forgettable.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 am 

+3 Broadsword!

If Abbath was (more of) a retard, he'd sounds like their singer.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 pm 

Thanks guys. The suggestions are really helping. I expected to have every reply be a comment like, "Fucking Nerd" or something lol.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 pm 

Also try Elexorien.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:15 am 

Not sure if this is really what you're looking for, but I just picked up The Meads of Asphodel's "Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua" the other day, and it has a weird medieval sound to it. It's a little random at times, but it's a very interesting band nonetheless; they may be worth looking into, if nothing else....

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:15 am 

I'm sure pretty much anyone associated with Magic Circle Music (the label run by Manowar) would be to your liking.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:09 pm 

Strangely enough I've never been a fan of Manowar, which is odd because the band fits perfectly into the category of music I like.

Summerwind_Heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:37 pm 

Maybe not as "D&D" based as you'd like, but I can never pass up an opportunity to recommend Timeless Miracle. Just incredible melodic power metal with insane (love 'em or hate 'em) vocals. Songs are about werewolves, vampires, the devil, etc.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:26 pm 

fairyland

Spacebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 pm 

As for pure-ish Heavy Metal, I'd have to say Blind Gaurdian's older works, though their new stuff is just as good, but it has a far stronger power metal feel to me.

There are two really great high fantasy black metal bands out there, though. Summoning and Apotheosis (Mlt), though the latter is far less atmospheric and far more aggressive than the former. I've used some songs for both in a few D&D campaigns of mine.

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:29 pm 

Rivendell and Orkrist are great black metal/Tolkien bands you should look into.

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:00 am 

Wow, thanks guys, the feedback is helping. I suppose if i wanted to narrow my search a bit more, I am looking for "atmospheric" as one of you said. Something that blends harmony and chaos. Oh, the Tolkien inspired music was good, but for some reason the first time i listened to it i thought it was a joke, simply because its about Tolkien's works, not that there is anything wrong with it, i just didn't expect it lol

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 am 

Check out:

Manilla Road - old school heavy metal, very grim and gritty, lots of fantasty references and perfect for playing a game of D&D with it in the bandground. 'Gates of Fire' is highly recommended as your starting point; lyrics deal with Conan the Barbarian, the Roman epic prose 'the Aeneid' and the Battle of Thermopylae (aka what the movie '300' was based off of) :D

3 Inches of Blood - new school heavy metal which hearkens back to the early 80s NWoBHM. 'Advance and Vanquish' is what you want to be checking out; the track 'Kill the Orcs' should give you an idea of how awesome this band is :D

Symphony X - this band is a wicked power/prog band. Their album 'The Odyssey' is amazing and you should definitely check it out - the 25 minute closer is simply breath-taking and is one song you DO NOT want to miss out on hearing :D

Keep of Kalessin - their album 'Kolossus' really reminds me of Act 5 in Diablo 2, and is an epic symphonic/melodic black metal album that doesn't really sound like anything else out there that I've found. In any case, it will give you this awesome feeling of windswept mountains teeming with mighty warriors clashing in battle, scions finding their true destiny, and the mighty feeling of bloodlust and glory, taking with sword and axe. Basically it's fucking epic.

Rotting Christ - 'Sanctus Diavolos' really makes me think of ace 3 in Diablo 3; this rotten corpse of the old religion in sunken jungle dungeons; murky creatures hovering beneath the filthy bog water and this creeping doom which sends chills up your spine. It's a great album, lots of little things happening you need to listen hard for.

Hope that helps!

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:11 am 

ArcticTundra13 wrote:

Read the OP before posting, idiot.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:06 pm 

Karnstein_Records wrote:
ArcticTundra13 wrote:

Well, my bad too, as only one of my recs now count, but really, the OP and others in this forum NEED to read the guidelines before posting. His title was "Dungeons & Dragons/Midieval Fantasy metal" But the guidelines specifically say that there needs to be detail in there - he should have put "Dungeons & Dragons/Medieval Fantasy-themed Heavy Metal" which would have set the tone better. As it stands, his specific request for pure heavy metal is tucked deep into his OP, which many might skip over once we "get the idea" (or maybe just think we do :p) of what he's talking about.

ArcticTundra13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:01 pm 

Karnstein_Records wrote:
ArcticTundra13 wrote:

As it seemed to be music the OP thought was interesting, I'm guessing it fits the bill. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch about...

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 pm 

Whenever my friends and I play D&D we listen to Ensiferum and Equilibrium. Both good bands for medieval events.
Member #1 of the Anti-anti-folk metal front.

Andromeda_Unchained
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:15 pm 

I'll second the Fairyland recommendation.

The first two Dragonland albums, pretty much anything from Thy Majestie, The Storyteller, Spellblast, Magica's Wolves & Witches album (if you can get away with the female vocals). Holy Knights is another one worth a shot.

If you decide to switch out the D&D for a game of Traveller....need I say it?

Personally I like to play Virgin Steele (post Life Among the Ruins). I've also found the first Falconer album pretty fitting.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:25 pm 

ArcticTundra13 wrote:
Karnstein_Records wrote:
ArcticTundra13 wrote:

As it seemed to be music the OP thought was interesting, I'm guessing it fits the bill. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch about...

He asked for heavy/power metal.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 pm 

Okay guys, I think its now time to drop the no genre thing and start throwing bands from all across the board my way. I do ask one thing, though, and that is to limit black metal bands. I've never been a huge fan of the genre, but I do like bands like Bathory and Falkenbach (I've been told Falkenbach is both Black and Folk metal. I don't know which it is, so lets not turn the thread into an argument over what it is)

TheNecromancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:35 pm 

I recommend a band called "Fairyland". Don't be fooled, they're one of my favourites. One of the best in fantasy metal, and has been since their debut.

Their new album came out about a week ago, "Score To A New Beginning", I suggest you give it a look. It is very, very good.

But their debut, "Of Wars In Oshyria" is a great album too.

I'm sure Fairyland are on MA.

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:29 pm 

^what he said. defenitly get "of wars in osyrhia"

Nered
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:23 am 

Summoning maybe

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:20 pm 

Yeah, thanks to you guys, I started to do some investigating on other bands, and here's what I've come up with thus far: Dark Moor, Luca Turilli, Kamelot, and Elvenking. Got any recs that are like these bands?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:49 pm 

american_pagan1 wrote:
Yeah, thanks to you guys, I started to do some investigating on other bands, and here's what I've come up with thus far: Dark Moor, Luca Turilli, Kamelot, and Elvenking. Got any recs that are like these bands?

Kamelot aren't D&D/Fantasy stuff though.

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:04 pm 

Yeah, but thier stuff is pretty epic sounding, plus it sets the mood perfectly at the game table...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:08 pm 

american_pagan1 wrote:
Yeah, but thier stuff is pretty epic sounding, plus it sets the mood perfectly at the game table...

Maybe the old stuff, but the new stuff is more like artistic music that I'd like to concentrate fully on as I listen.

american_pagan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:31 pm 

True...their later stuff does have that really cerebral artsy thing, which isn't band but it doesn't fit the mood very well.

Reply to topic