Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:32 pm 

I see that a lot of people hates Carcass because of Heartwork. The common reason why they hate Heartwork was because it isn't gore-grind like they did before. However, the point here is that it isn't a gore-grind album so why judge it with a gore grind mind set. It's melodeath and it's good, enjoyable melodeath. I don't see what's so horrible about it. It's catchy, it's still metal and it's still hard hittin' music that I can fucking headbang to.

Last edited by ScratchMyBack on Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:33 pm 

It's not that great an album regardless. Far too formulaic, and most of the slower songs are garbage.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:35 pm 

You can judge it with a Carcass mind set, and by those standards the album is really boring and way too polished.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:41 pm 

Is there really such a thing as a "Carcass mindset"? No two of their albums are alike. It's not like there was ever a firmly established "Carcass sound" that they pursued for a long period of time. And what are "melodeath" standards? There are several different strains of "melodeath" (I dislike using the term anyway).

Heartwork is actually my favorite Carcass album, though I enjoy all of them (not equally of course). I think it's got a great heavy sound and really catchy tunes. The strangest criticism I've heard of it is calling it sterile. It's not "filthy" (whatever that means), but if sterile is meant to suggest it's kinda bland or unenergetic, I think parts of Symphonies of Sickness and much of Swansong are way more sterile than Heartwork.

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 pm 

Well for one, Bill Steer is no where near a mic...

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:49 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Is there really such a thing as a "Carcass mindset"?

You can look at the album as a continuation to their earlier albums.

~Guest 3496

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 pm 

_Aargh wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:
Is there really such a thing as a "Carcass mindset"?

You can look at the album as a continuation to their earlier albums.

Yeah, but there's not much continuity among the albums preceding it. Each one was a pretty big change. One could just as easily portray Heartwork as a logical progression as one could portray it as an aberration.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 pm 

I like Heartwork actually, but I don't really care all that much for their grind days. I still like Necroticism the best though.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:29 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Yeah, but there's not much continuity among the albums preceding it. Each one was a pretty big change. One could just as easily portray Heartwork as a logical progression as one could portray it as an aberration.

I'd say Carcass' progression has always been logical. It's just that on Heartwork they finally lost everything that made the band good in the first place, even though I'm not a huge fan of Necroticism either.

~Guest 3496

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:32 pm 

Ah, that's sensible.

obZen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:23 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
It's not that great an album regardless. Far too formulaic, and most of the slower songs are garbage.

Some of you act like being formulaic is a bad thing. Yes, being formulaic is limiting. But you sacrifice free structure for good flow. And while I don't listen to Heartwork much (or perhaps at all) nowadays, by no means is it bad.

At the very least, no other record sounds like it. And for those who hate Heartwork, I would take it that you could easily compare it to a turd. That just because it's a different color than usual doesn't make it worthwhile and doesn't mean you should put it in a frame and hang it on your wall.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:33 pm 

I listen to melodic death metal and... from Carcass I only like Heartwork, still some of the songs there have boring slow parts that I can't stand, take the songs "This mortal coil" or "Heartwork" as example, very cool songs that have "boring as hell" slow pieces in the middle. thats my personal opinion. I dont see that album as great melodic death metal.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:35 pm 

Heartwork is a horrible, boring and terribly generic album. It's not that it isn't goregrind, it's that the band didn't seem to care and I KNOW they can do better. Its a bloody awful dissapointment of a release with maybe one or two catchy songs on it followed by a long stream of pointless bullshit and political leanings.

Fuck off, Carcass.
Hehe, foreskins.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:37 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:

Precisely. I don't think you'll find that most people judge the album "by goregrind standards" .. that'd just be foolish, and you'll notice that "Necroticism" doesn't get nearly as much flack, even from people whoo fellate "Reek of Putrefaction". "Heartwork" has its moments (mostly the title track and "Death Certificate") but you can't tell me that a song like "No Love Lost" isn't incredibly fucking lazy for this band.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:46 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Is there really such a thing as a "Carcass mindset"? No two of their albums are alike. It's not like there was ever a firmly established "Carcass sound" that they pursued for a long period of time. And what are "melodeath" standards? There are several different strains of "melodeath" (I dislike using the term anyway).

Heartwork is actually my favorite Carcass album, though I enjoy all of them (not equally of course). I think it's got a great heavy sound and really catchy tunes. The strangest criticism I've heard of it is calling it sterile. It's not "filthy" (whatever that means), but if sterile is meant to suggest it's kinda bland or unenergetic, I think parts of Symphonies of Sickness and much of Swansong are way more sterile than Heartwork.

My thoughts exactly, Heartwork is a great album, Carcass has always been innovative and original, they, along with bands as Napal Death were pioneers of gore/grind, were solid when it came to DM (Necroticism.. isa good example) and once again got tired of playing the same thing, so they "invented" Melodeath. After that, tons of bands included melody to their stuff. SO, I guess Heartwork is not just a great album (my Carcass fave) but is also groundbreaking and as every Carcass release, is innovative.
Not hearsay but the will of man

~Guest 3496

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:48 pm 

Crick wrote:
generic

Who else really sounded like that in 1993/94?

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:50 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Crick wrote:
generic

When I say generic, I don't take into account the time period. I may in fact be using the word incorrectly. I just find some music (or indeed any creation) can instantly give off a generic feeling, regardless of whether or not it's been done before.
Hehe, foreskins.

~Guest 3496

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:51 pm 

That makes sense, but it should be taken into account that Heartwork was one of, if not the, first album(s) of its kind when considering what adjectives to throw out at it.

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:55 pm 

I suppose you're right. Still, the album isn't really mind-numbing (though it does get boring at points), and it isn't really completely bad per-say. Like others have said, the title track is good for example. But it just feels generic and inoffensive. Passive almost. Regardless of being one (or the first) of its kind, its influence can be heard in the equally if not more generic and inoffensive melodeath work of today.
Hehe, foreskins.

obZen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:57 pm 

Is it just me or was Heartwork considered a classic metal album just 5 years ago, and every year since then, more and more people on forums seem to have unanimously agreed that Heartwork isn't good or influential anymore?

It's hard not to feel like a lot of forumgoers seem to have stolen their opinion from a rather convincing and vocal minority and treated it like it was the "right" opinion.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:01 pm 

obZen wrote:
Is it just me or was Heartwork considered a classic metal album just 5 years ago, and every year since then, more and more people on forums seem to have unanimously agreed that Heartwork isn't good or influential anymore?

It's hard not to feel like a lot of forumgoers seem to have stolen their opinion from a rather convincing and vocal minority and treated it like it was the "right" opinion.

It's just you. :lol: This kind of thing always crops up.

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:02 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Crick wrote:
generic

Can't tell you that, but Kreator released a very similar album just 3 years earlier.

obZen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:06 pm 

Perhaps you're right :p However, you can never underestimate the level of conformity that permeates the seemingly free-thinker veil of any metal community. Once some veteran with 10,000 posts proclaims that Abbath's balls are sacred, every 2nd person starts believing it. Just varies from board to board. Thanks to one guy, people start to idolize that band.

Anyways, I actually happen to find Heartwork stale these days. But, it had a plethora of good, memorable riffs. Unfortunately, most of those memorable riffs are essentially leads. And if you remove the melody in Heartwork, I think it'd fall apart. The rhythm is unfortunately dull.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:10 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:
Crick wrote:
generic

Can't tell you that, but Kreator released a very similar album just 3 years earlier.

Hah .. and I thought I was the only one who noticed how similar the title track sounded to "People of the Lie".

HowDisgusting
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:11 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:
Crick wrote:
generic

Hah .. and I thought I was the only one who noticed how similar the title track sounded to "People of the Lie".
Absolutely not.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 pm 

ScratchMyBack wrote:
I see that a lot of people hates Carcass because of Heartwork. The common reason why they hate Heartwork was because it isn't gore-grind like they did before. However, the point here is that it isn't a gore-grind album so why judge it with a gore grind mind set. It's melodeath and it's good, enjoyable melodeath. I don't see what's so horrible about it. It's catchy, it's still metal and it's still hard hittin' music that I can fucking headbang to.

I don't hate Carcass because of Heartwork. I just hate Heartwork and everything after it. I love pre-Heartwork Carcass.

Yes it is the real Goat.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:34 pm 

It's very easy to judge Heartwork in melodeath terms and dislike it. I find it pretty boring.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Children_Of_The_Sea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:36 pm 

I enjoy heartwork very much, but Necroticism is my favorite. I think that reek of putrefaction sucks tbh.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm 

it's not a bad album if you like more than just grindcore

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:45 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:
it's not a bad album if you like more than just grindcore

Pfffft, do you say that about every album people like? So if I dislike Hammerheart, would I think it's a good album if I liked more than just black metal?

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

~Guest 3496

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:18 pm 

HowDisgusting wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
HowDisgusting wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:
Crick wrote:
generic

Absolutely not.

Pssh, yeah, there's that one riff.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:57 pm 

the band stopped being relevant after Necroticism, but thats just me

then again, I don't like 95% of melo-death, so what do I know?

Uncolored
Death Metal Fundamentalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:02 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:

if you mean death metal+iron maiden dark tranquillity beat carcass. if I'm not mistaken skydancer came out before heartwork

SatanHussein wrote:
my dream is to organise a funeral doom festival and sell my stockpiles of antidepressants at the merch stand

I never check forum messages, don't bother write me here. thanx

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:02 pm 

Children_Of_The_Sea wrote:
I think that reek of putrefaction sucks tbh.

its an acquired taste, I like it, but its not for everybody.

~Guest 3496

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 pm 

Uncolored wrote:
PhantomOTO wrote:

if you mean death metal+iron maiden dark tranquillity beat carcass. if I'm not mistaken skydancer came out before heartwork

Yeah, but come on. Skydancer (which I also like a lot) and Heartwork are very different approaches.

obZen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:47 pm 

spectreofdeath wrote:

What do you mean by relevant? I've always been a little confused by that term. Is it implying that a band's sound is outdated? Uninspired? Not as good as other bands after a certain album? If that's the case, then that's douchnozzlery of the highest degree.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:05 pm 

obZen wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:

What do you mean by relevant? I've always been a little confused by that term. Is it implying that a band's sound is outdated? Uninspired? Not as good as other bands after a certain album? If that's the case, then that's douchnozzlery of the highest degree.

they signed with Columbia and started making half-assed death metal is what I mean. Reek was too primitive for its own good, but on Symphonies and Necroticism they really shined as songwriters and players. Heartwork is just boring by the book death metal, nothing special at all.

LordGothic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:31 pm 

Heartwork doesnt even sound like a Melodeath album to me, sounds like a watered down melodic thrash album, BUT i do still like it, title track has some awesome riffage

obZen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:35 pm 

spectreofdeath wrote:
obZen wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:

they signed with Columbia and started making half-assed death metal is what I mean. Reek was too primitive for its own good, but on Symphonies and Necroticism they really shined as songwriters and players. Heartwork is just boring by the book death metal, nothing special at all.

I thought people would have the decency not to go by the death metal book with Heartwork. It's melodeath. ololol.

But, really. What I'm really trying to say is that you may call the black homeless man who's stealing your garbage crazy, but he may think that he's got ahold of some treasure that you carelessly left on your front lawn. Music is personal anyways. One man's boring is another man's genius.

Take Warning for example. Some people think that Robert Lowe is a vocal genius. Others find everything about the band bland. And there are many bands like this where we are either in their defense or their support, and the opposing side looks like the crazy homeless black man.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 pm 

I'm not going to lie....I've only heard the title track, and I think it's pretty awesome. It's nothing like classic Carcass, but I still find it enjoyable. If I enjoy the title track, is the rest of the album worth checking out?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next