Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Plantweed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:05 pm 

OK, I'll leave the kiddie pool and go back the grown-up table, so long.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 pm 

kwellada wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Ah, I take that back. I have no idea why Lääz Rockit never came to me, but they are certainly more on par with Anthrax.

I wouldn't go that far. Annihilation Principle was decent, but their debut is absolutely atrocious and Know Your Enemy is very dated by now. Granted, I still have yet to hear No Stranger to Danger, but they were definitely a second tier band with few notable achievements.

Yeah, they were, but they are as catchy and mid-paced much like Anthrax is, err... was.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 pm 

Plantweed wrote:
OK, I'll leave the kiddie pool and go back the grown-up table, so long.

Are you one of those metalheads who takes himself incredibly seriously?

That's...tragic.

And...so is your face, haha.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:52 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Yeah, they were, but they are as catchy and mid-paced much like Anthrax is, err... was.

I admit I haven't heard the stuff after Annihilation Principle, except maybe a track or two. Worth checking out?

I think Laaz Rockit just wasn't as consistent as songwriters as I prefer for thrash. That's my main beef. They seemed to latch onto the Bay Area thrash scene around them but didn't necessarily have the song to back it up.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 pm 

Laaz Rockit is one of the better thrash bands from the period, and their 1987 album (too tired to remember the name) is their best by far, and gives Among the Living a run for its money.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:58 pm 

kwellada wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

I admit I haven't heard the stuff after Annihilation Principle, except maybe a track or two. Worth checking out?

I think Laaz Rockit just wasn't as consistent as songwriters as I prefer for thrash. That's my main beef. They seemed to latch onto the Bay Area thrash scene around them but didn't necessarily have the song to back it up.

I strongly disagree. Lääz Rockit being a second-tier thrash act has nothing to do with their sound. They are in the same league of subgenre style as Anthrax, while being way more enjoyable, however, both bands are really catchy. Lääz Rockit continued to get faster as their career went forward. Anthrax just became more commercial.

Know Your Enemy was my first introduction to the band, and still my favorite.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 pm 

I'll check out post Annihilation sometime soon. You got me curious about it now. Annihilation is probably my favorite because it was my introduction to the band in 1989 or 1990, whenever I first got that cassette. I didn't hear any of their other albums until sometime in the past couple of years, so there's almost 20 years of changed perspective that colors my opinions.

I don't think Anthrax necessarily became more commercial. Mainstream tastes tended to veer towards a heavier sound in the 90s.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:17 pm 

Shame on me, but I never listened anything by Laaz Rockit, will check'em out right now!!!!
Not hearsay but the will of man

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
death234 wrote:
I never really liked anthrax. I always thought they weren't that heavy.:boo:

Because an arbitrary measure of heaviness is the defining aspect of good metal. In this case, why the hell am I listening to Skyclad?! I'm'nna go blast some fuckin' Whitechapel!

XD
that's sig worthy

Last FM

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:50 am 

kwellada wrote:

Nothing'$ $acred certainly !

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
Among The Living had the best use of gang vocals in metal by far. Only Vio-lence ever came close.

Vio-Lence and Exodus are the kings of the thrash metal gang vocals.

Yeah, Vio-Lence, Exodus AND Anthrax.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:35 am 

morbert wrote:
kwellada wrote:

Nothing'$ $acred certainly !

Will do.

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 pm 

Anthrax are a lot of fun. I was absolutely stoked to see them with Belladonna a few years back, definitely one of the most enjoyable shows I've been to.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:03 pm 

spoonhead wrote:
Anthrax are a lot of fun. I was absolutely stoked to see them with Belladonna a few years back, definitely one of the most enjoyable shows I've been to.

I saw them in 1998 with John Bush and it was a blast. What I liked was the fact that although they were obviously past their prime and playing to a smaller audience, they really seemed stoked to be playing a concert and having a great time. I would have liked to have seen them around 1989 or 1990 or the more recent go around with Joe Belladonna, but I have warm memories of the one time I did see them.

Brutalizer79
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 pm 

I love all there old stuff up to including Sound of White Noise. I didnt come back to them until We've come for You all,which was okay. Old stuff, love it

~Guest 123274
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:26 pm 

Fistful of Metal is the best one, I think. When they made darker sounding music, it turned out well but they always had that habit of injecting too much humour and lightheartedness for my taste.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:43 pm 

Noctir wrote:
Fistful of Metal is the best one, I think. When they made darker sounding music, it turned out well but they always had that habit of injecting too much humour and lightheartedness for my taste.

See, I feel the opposite about the darker sounding music. I always felt like the humor and lightheartedness was more natural to Anthrax and the attempts to sound harder and darker were a bit forced. While I think it's a good album, I felt like the seriousness and darker sounds of Persistence of Time more of a reaction to the criticism the band recieved due to their "shorts and comic books" image and to State of Euphoria rather than a natural evolution of the band and their sound.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:37 am 

What does anyone think of Scott Ian's guitar skills? I am getting tired of always seeing him on VH1 but is he a good songwriter? He is obviously the face of the band.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
What does anyone think of Scott Ian's guitar skills? I am getting tired of always seeing him on VH1 but is he a good songwriter? He is obviously the face of the band.

Superb. nobody sounds/plays like Scott and vise versa.
Whether you like their music or not, the man has his staple sound. Period!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:35 am 

Ok. My next question to anybody who cares to chime in is how would you compare 80's 'Thrax to Nuclear Assault?

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:07 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Ok. My next question to anybody who cares to chime in is how would you compare 80's 'Thrax to Nuclear Assault?

Worlds apart obviously... Nuclear Assault were much 'noisier', especially live. Anthrax were the better musicians but N.A. were faster and more aggressive, their two styles of thrash sounded very different except for maybe both their debut albums which still had a lot of speed metal in them.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:58 am 

marktheviktor wrote:

Scott's a good guitarist. I think he's a bit underrated since he's not a lead player and the focus almost always tends to be on the lead guitarist. I don't know how to qualify him as a songwriter since I believe Charlie actually writes most of the music. I think Scott just writes the lyrics (or split the writing with John Bush during the Bush years).

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:59 am 

marktheviktor wrote:

I think him and Henry Rollins have a clause in their contracts that say they must appear on every show about any band ever.

But as far as Scott Ian's guitar playing goes: he's a solid of a rhythm player as anyone I can think of. There are obviously many guitarists with better technical skills, but he definitely provides an unshakable foundation for Anthrax and deserves respect for it.

Yazalde70
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:48 pm 

I don't think that people who wasn't around the metal scene in the 80s
can understand how important Anthrax were...

When I read that Anthrax are "comercial" just makes me laugh, ridiculous...

There's no doubt that Among The Living was one of the most innovative
albums of the 80s, as it was all their attitude, the "do what you like" thing.
Not to mention that moshing was popularized at their expenses, as
it's something that originated from the hardcore scene, which was close
to their hearts being from NY and all. At least I don't remember anyone
moshing to early Iron Maiden when I saw them in the early/mid 80s.

As I said, only who was around can understand properly, though my
opinion is bias, I admit to be a Anthrax fanatic from the Fistful of Metal
and Belladonna era...
Nowadays I think they only play with their wifes... ;) at least Scott Ian.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm 

worst band of the big four.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:25 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:

Easily. I think there should only be a "Big 3" really. I think Sepultura should take take their place among the "Big 4" to be honest despite them being a Brazilian band. They defected and made a name for themselves when they came to the States anyways.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:35 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:

Nope, Megadeth as far as I'm concerned. No Megadeth album comes even close to Spreading The Disease & Among The Living i.m.o.
It all comes down down to personal taste. And besides, all Big-4 turned shit during the nineties.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:44 am 

Yazalde70 wrote:
I don't think that people who wasn't around the metal scene in the 80s can understand how important Anthrax were...
As I said, only who was around can understand properly, though my
opinion is bias, I admit to be a Anthrax fanatic from the Fistful of Metal
and Belladonna era...

exactly what I think about it a lot of the time. Whenever there's some Anthrax bashing and trivialising going on and I check the profiles of those making the boldest negative statements, they're always under 30 with a few exceptions. Only a few.
I guess for metalheads who did not grow up with metal in the eighties but the nineties (or later..) and can only experience the eighties albums through 'archaeology', Anthrax doesn't appeal to most of them for some obscure reason. Maybe it's because the scene had turned somewhat grim and suffers even more from dogma's the last decade...? who knows.

Not judging anyone here, just mentioning an observation...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:46 am 

To everyone who's bitching about who should/shouldn't have been a part of the big four: Why the fuck take it seriously? It never had any purpose anyway, except that in the early 80's (?) those bands of the big four were way more populair.

In my opinion, Metallica were the worst of the big four, but in my opinion all big four bands released some nice material in the 80's, except for Metallica who wrote some decent songs here and there.

My favourite album(s) by the big four bands:

Anthrax - ''Fistful of Metal'', ''Spreading the Disease'' and ''Among the Living.''

Megadeth - ''Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?'' and ''Rust in Peace''.

Metallica - None really, just some great songs such as ''The Four Horseman'', ''Ride the Lightning'', ect.

Slayer - ''Show no Mercy'' and ''Hell Awaits''.

Oh and one more thing: if you're hating Anthrax because they're not thrashy enough, get fucked, Anthrax were never meant to be full of riffs, they're not Testament who were suppose to, but lacked quality riffs.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:28 am 

Call of Ktulu was Metallica's best song. How could you miss that one? But that one owes alot to Dave's time in the band.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:13 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Call of Ktulu was Metallica's best song. How could you miss that one? But that one owes alot to Dave's time in the band.

I just gave some examples of Metallica's good/better songs. If Dave never was in Metallica, I'm sure albums like ''Kill Em' All'' and ''Ride the Lightning'' would have sounded pretty different.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:59 am 

morbert wrote:
Whenever there's some Anthrax bashing and trivialising going on and I check the profiles of those making the boldest negative statements, they're always under 30 with a few exceptions. Only a few.

I would expect exactly that because that's the demographic of this forum.

morbert wrote:
I guess for metalheads who did not grow up with metal in the eighties but the nineties (or later..) and can only experience the eighties albums through 'archaeology', Anthrax doesn't appeal to most of them for some obscure reason. Maybe it's because the scene had turned somewhat grim and suffers even more from dogma's the last decade...? who knows.

Not judging anyone here, just mentioning an observation...

I don't really think that it is more dogmatic than it used to be. Any time there is a some sort of community there is some group-think going on. It just seems as if the dogma is different.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:26 am 

How anyone can say Anthrax is the worst of the "big 4" is beyond me. You can't really ask for much more of a perfect album than Spreading the Disease, which is easily my favorite album of any of the big 4 bands.

I think alot of listeners just dislike Belladonna's vocal style, and I can understand where they're coming from if all they have heard is Among the Living. There's kind of a shift from Spreading the Disease, where Joey's melodic wailing fits perfect with the almost NWOBHM/speed inspired songwriting, and Among the Living, where you can tell they are going for a more aggressive approach but Joey's delivery isn't quite there yet (unlike the next album, where I think he's spot on mostly. See Be All, End All verses). To me, Among the Living has always been about the riffs and not only are the riffs good, they are damn good!

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:25 pm 

I've always hated the concept of the Big 4 because it uniformly seemed to trivialize all of the other American thrash bands who put out a fair share of solid music. I've always believed that Overkill outclassed most of those bands in terms of 80s output, and completely outclassed all of them in terms of total career output. Nonetheless, I think that "Spreading The Disease", "Show No Mercy" and "Peace Sells" were signature classics and that "Ride The Lightning" wasn't too far behind.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

youtubemetals
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:18 pm 

i wouldnt really consider them crossover. they definetly sound kinda like it though. one thing for certain is that they rock. i love "caught in a mosh" its awesome

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I've always hated the concept of the Big 4 because it uniformly seemed to trivialize all of the other American thrash bands who put out a fair share of solid music. I've always believed that Overkill outclassed most of those bands in terms of 80s output, and completely outclassed all of them in terms of total career output. Nonetheless, I think that "Spreading The Disease", "Show No Mercy" and "Peace Sells" were signature classics and that "Ride The Lightning" wasn't too far behind.

I can agree with that. I think it's common for most true metal heads to refer to the big 4 bands as such, but only because it's usage is so widespread, even though they most likely prefer (or at least agree that there are still) other great thrash bands from the 80's.

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:24 am 

morbert wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:

Nope, Megadeth as far as I'm concerned. No Megadeth album comes even close to Spreading The Disease & Among The Living i.m.o.
It all comes down down to personal taste. And besides, all Big-4 turned shit during the nineties.

STRONGLY DISAGREE.

mechanical_preacher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:02 am 

if i'm surprised by anything in this thread, i'm surprised by the fact that so many people like anthrax. yes, i'm 23, and i know about all the thrash via "archeology" like someone mentioned earlier. that doesn't change the fact that anthrax has no appeal when they're compared to the better bands of that era. you're gonna hate me for this, but even modern bands like municipal waste blows them out of the water.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 am 

mechanical_preacher wrote:
if i'm surprised by anything in this thread, i'm surprised by the fact that so many people like anthrax. yes, i'm 23, and i know about all the thrash via "archeology" like someone mentioned earlier. that doesn't change the fact that anthrax has no appeal when they're compared to the better bands of that era. you're gonna hate me for this, but even modern bands like municipal waste blows them out of the water.

:nono:
Not hearsay but the will of man

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:37 am 

Having grown up in the 80s, I can without any doubt that Anthrax is one of the dullest bands.

The vocals are mediocre at best. I find them plain annoying. The lyrics are just goofy. The music is nothing special.

As far as the big 4 go, I would but Testament in 4th place waaaaaay before Anthrax. Actually, I would put Possessed above all 4, but they were relatively unknown outside of CA in the early 80's.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next