Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:23 pm 

Who else is amped to see this? It's getting some pretty good reviews already from the mainstream media.

(I thought there was already a thread, but couldn't manage to find it.)

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:24 pm 

Wait...Anvil, that silly Canadian band?

There's actually an audience that covers the costs of making a documentary about them?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 pm 

kwellada wrote:

There's actually an audience that covers the costs of making a documentary about them?

From what I've seen of it, that's exactly the point of it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:33 pm 

kwellada wrote:

Hells yeah.

Quote:

Sure, us.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm 

kwellada wrote:

Haha, yeah. Somebody is about to lose some monies.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm 

The documentary has gotten great reviews and done well at festivals. I hope it comes out on DVD. Anvil is pretty great, so I'd like to watch it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:10 pm 

kwellada wrote:

LEAVE THE HALL.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 pm 

That's no fucking joke.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:59 pm 

I heard about this, but I didn't think it was the same Anvil!? Anvil, as in Strength of Steel Anvil!?!? Holy shit, this should be good then!

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 am 

I'm canadian and I was looking through channels and saw some metal band performing on CBC, which I found odd. It ended up being anvil :p

bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:44 am 

yep, it's the metal on metal anvil!

great show, saw it late last year, catch it if you can. no lies, the film captivated me the entire 90 + minutes.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:33 am 

Anvil is up there with Motorhead as far as consistency. They make awesome, straightfoward records. No frilly keyboard solos with guitars that change time signatures 20 times in a single song (though there's nothing wrong with that stuff in moderation), just good ol' fashioned metal.

Melmoth_the_Wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:02 am 

There's one thing about this event that really pissed me off though; now they have Anvil playing to support the movie sales and during the set of both Anvil and Cauldron they get a fake audience wearing 'ironic comedy metal wigs' to mosh to each band.

Because metal can only be acceptable when filtered through hipster irony.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:18 am 

I saw this about a month ago, I really enjoyed it. The director has stated the fact that the opening half hour or so is very Spinal Tap was intentional as so to get that audience. I could tell a large part of the audience there was there to laugh at the hairies, as it were. But it was actually quite nice to see these struggling metalheads go out and play a really big gig in Japan, and they certainly have raised there own profile significantly since this film's been out. :thumbsup:

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 am 

For folks interested in reading reviews:

Anvil! The Story of Anvil reviews

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 am 

NotGlib wrote:
Anvil is up there with Motorhead as far as consistency. They make awesome, straightfoward records. No frilly keyboard solos with guitars that change time signatures 20 times in a single song (though there's nothing wrong with that stuff in moderation), just good ol' fashioned metal.

Dude, they may be consistent, but don't you DARE put them in the same sentence as Motorhead. Unlike Anvil, Motorhead are GOOD.

Charly546
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 am 

kwellada wrote:
NotGlib wrote:

Dude, they may be consistent, but don't you DARE put them in the same sentence as Motorhead. Unlike Anvil, Motorhead are GOOD.

Motörhead is good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Anvil.

:)

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:19 am 

AAAGGGGH!!!!

HEATHENS! INFIDELS!!!!

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:41 am 

yeah,i always wondered why people make a sport out of it to make fun of Anvil.Metal on Metal and Forged in Fire are 2 classics,and they need to be in every collection of people who call themselves metalheads.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 am 

Apprently Anvil are going to play at Glastonbury, a massive indie festival in the UK. Which I go to every year, though understandably not for the bands. But if Anvil do play, its someone other than Blur and Bruce Springsteen I actually want to see.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:35 am 

Saw this a few weeks ago at my local indie cinema, and thought it was excellent, if depressing. Even bought 'Metal on Metal' on vinyl as a result.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:39 am 

Anvil is great and all that but why they of all bands get a documentary is simply beyond me. If there comes a DVD, I'll definitely buy it.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:24 pm 

kwellada wrote:
NotGlib wrote:

Yeah, we get it, but you know, when Failsafeman tells somebody to leave the hall, the thread stops.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:59 pm 

kwellada wrote:
NotGlib wrote:

I wasn't even comparing them quality-wise. All I said was that they were both good at making entertaining albums consistently.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:55 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Yeah, we get it, but you know, when Failsafeman tells somebody to leave the hall, the thread stops.

I'm not a pawn of false metal, you see.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 pm 

A tad off topic but... which anvil albums should i get?

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:13 pm 

Just saw the band page and album covers for the first time...

These guys sure love anvils, but I won't brush off the idea of listening to them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:11 pm 

I was surprised to see Metal on Metal only has one review on MA.

bassethornmusic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:34 pm 

DGYDP wrote:
Anvil is great and all that but why they of all bands get a documentary is simply beyond me. If there comes a DVD, I'll definitely buy it.

The producer or director knows the band personally, that's why.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 pm 

I saw this movie in theatre at a local place. It was done quite well, but you don't get to hear much of their music beyond "Metal on Metal" which is sad.

Anvil is one of my favorite all-time bands, and I found this to be done rather well. You get a real sense of the type of people Lips and Robb are.

Anvil are awesome!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:14 pm 

kwellada wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

I'm not a pawn of false metal, you see.

If you dislike Anvil, you clearly are. Anvil is a classic band. Probably not absolute first-tier material, but solid and respectable. Also, if you somehow think Anvil's occasional silliness is unintentional, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. "Butter-bust Jerky" for example.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:35 pm 

I tend to think that supporting the lesser bands at all costs waters down metal in general, opening it to mockery and derision.

90% of any genre is mediocre at best and downright awful at worst. Anvil does not even come close to the special 10% threshold.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:38 pm 

kwellada wrote:
I tend to think that supporting the lesser bands at all costs waters down metal in general, opening it to mockery and derision.

90% of any genre is mediocre at best and downright awful at worst. Anvil does not even come close to the special 10% threshold.

You really haven't heard much of Anvil's material, have you?

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 pm 

To be fair, it's been quite awhile...like the early 90s since I've heard anything.

Go ahead: recommend something that could change my mind. Aside from Pound for Pound.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:56 pm 

kwellada wrote:
To be fair, it's been quite awhile...like the early 90s since I've heard anything.

Go ahead: recommend something that could change my mind. Aside from Pound for Pound.

What!? You've got to be kidding. Go listen to Metal on Metal for goddsake, and then come back and make a frickin' argument. Until then, all you've got are 15 year old memories. Not exactly reliable data.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:02 pm 

brightfield wrote:
What!? You've got to be kidding. Go listen to Metal on Metal for goddsake, and then come back and make a frickin' argument. Until then, all you've got are 15 year old memories. Not exactly reliable data.

Okay okay, I'll go listen and see what happens!

My memories are hot stuff. :lol:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 pm 

kwellada wrote:

What the fuck are you even talking about?

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
kwellada wrote:

I don't get why people defend the lesser, weaker bands so much, that's all. I'm sorry if these concepts escape you.

edit: by the way, I'm just messing with you...I'm not taking any of this too seriously. I'll give Anvil a shot with the recommended album and see if you guys are onto something or not.

Last edited by kwellada on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:10 pm 

My dad saw it at a festival the other day and really liked it, which says something for the movie as he is not a Metal fan in the least, and it striking a chord within someone that removed from the scene has to be a good indicator. It actually got him rather interested in the band, so now I'm trying to see if he'll go 50/50 with me on buying some of their albums :grin:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:53 pm 

kwellada wrote:
failsafeman wrote:
kwellada wrote:

I don't get why people defend the lesser, weaker bands so much, that's all. I'm sorry if these concepts escape you.

The concepts aren't what escapes me, it's the reasoning behind them. It's like saying if you like a city, why would you ever go anyplace other than the tourist attractions?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next