Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:38 pm 

hole_in_your_chest wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
It's quite evident you've never heard of Slammer or Xentrix.

I never have heard of Slammer, but I've never thought "Hey this sounds like Metallica" when listening to For Whose Advantage.

Not really sure, why. They are Metallica clones. Established ones to boot.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
Maybe he means that Overkill, by their mere existence, made most other thrash acts redundant.

Nah, just that it amazes Overkill is still going because they haven't done anything worthwhile since maybe 1988 and even then, their track record is spotty even at their peak.

Kudos for the fact they are doing what they love and kept plugging away through the lean 90s when very few people gave a damn about that sort of music, but I really have no need to ever listen to them.

Testament...yeah, there's another band that excelled in redundancy and probably could have just gone away after their initial trio of albums.

Imitation_Of_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:52 pm 

kwellada wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:
Maybe he means that Overkill, by their mere existence, made most other thrash acts redundant.

Nah, just that it amazes Overkill is still going because they haven't done anything worthwhile since maybe 1988 and even then, their track record is spotty even at their peak.

I definitely don't agree with that. Every listened to Horrorscope or Killbox 13? Both excellent albums.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:54 pm 

I always felt like Anthrax had that goofy thing attached to them. They seemed to be a band that personified 80's culture with it's cheesy humour. Yes, Metal thrashing Mad is probably one of the most badass songs ever but what other self respecting band makes a fucking song about Belushi?! That being said, Songs like Medusa and Indians are great examples of Belladonna's goofy but competent vocals mixed with catchy but somewhat harmless riffing working so well. I am the Law and Caught in a Mosh are actually a deal more threatening.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 pm 

kwellada wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:

No! No! No! Horrorscope was a great album. Some scary production, and two guitarists made the album fresh, to say the least. W.F.O, Killbox 13, and Bloodletting are all decent thrash albums, though admittedly with a strong(ish) groove influence. Overkill was actually one of the bands that sounded fresh, mostly due to Blitz's vocals on the first albums, but nevertheless, they are awesome.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:00 pm 

When people say that Anthrax wasn't influential or that they were boring or the worst of the "big four" and unworthy of the title and whatnot, it just makes me lose faith. And one guy even saying that he's never heard Metallica clones? What's wrong with you people? Morbert is my hero right now.

If I were to just ignore this whole thread and give my opinion, I'd say I'm a huge fan. Their first two albums really weren't all that thrashy apart from a few select tracks. The part at 3:42 in A.I.R. is one of the best things the band has ever done and one of the best moments of 1985 in my opinion. Among the Living is absolutely fantastic, but I may have actually grown to appreciate their earlier, less thrash more traditional/speed metal era more. Either way, they were a great band. Honestly, I have only heard maybe two post Belladonna tracks. I was just never interested.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:01 pm 

Imitation_Of_Life wrote:
I definitely don't agree with that. Every listened to Horrorscope or Killbox 13? Both excellent albums.

Horrorscope is the album that ended my interest in Overkill. :lol:

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:06 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
I always felt like Anthrax had that goofy thing attached to them. They seemed to be a band that personified 80's culture with it's cheesy humour. Yes, Metal thrashing Mad is probably one of the most badass songs ever but what other self respecting band makes a fucking song about Belushi?! That being said, Songs like Medusa and Indians are great examples of Belladonna's goofy but competent vocals mixed with catchy but somewhat harmless riffing working so well. I am the Law and Caught in a Mosh are actually a deal more threatening.

Medusa is one of my favorites.. MEDUSSSSSSAAAAA :metal:

The goofyness is something that also stood Anthrax apart from other bands. I wouldnt necassarily call it goofy but I know what you mean.
You see all these retro thrash bands that to me sound more like (early) Anthrax then anything else. And the whole image and lyrical themes attached seem like they would of been straight from Anthrax. Most of these retro bands carry that 'goofy' attachment.

troublemagnet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 pm 

If you want Anthrax done right try Paradox's Heresey album, Whiplash & Nuclear Assault were better NYC bands

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 pm 

RevBau wrote:
You see all these retro thrash bands that to me sound more like (early) Anthrax then anything else.

WTF?

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
RevBau wrote:
You see all these retro thrash bands that to me sound more like (early) Anthrax then anything else.

WTF?

I can see Municipal Waste having been influenced but I'd say most retro bands take from Exodus or Dark Angel from what bands I've heard.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:33 pm 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
RevBau wrote:

WTF?

I can see Municipal Waste having been influenced but I'd say most retro bands take from Exodus or Dark Angel from what bands I've heard.

Bands like Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocost have thath punk and speed/trash sound, its just modernized a bit. Obviously, the vocals dont sound anything alike. But more so they goofyness that they attach to their music seems like it comes straight from Anthrax.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:39 pm 

RevBau wrote:
HumanWaste5150 wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
RevBau wrote:

WTF?

Bands like Municipal Waste and Toxic Holocost have thath punk and speed/trash sound, its just modernized a bit. Obviously, the vocals dont sound anything alike. But more so they goofyness that they attach to their music seems like it comes straight from Anthrax.

Uh, no.

Toxic Holocaust has almost pure Destruction and Sodom influence, and Municipal Waste is more in line with Nuclear Assault and Wehrmacht.

P.S. Learn to spell, please.

The_Wicked_One
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 pm 

vigilius_haufniensis wrote:
I don't think I'll ever get why so many people cream in their pants over Among the Living. For me, the first Anthrax album (Fistful of Metal) is the best, and then they get gradually worse from there, until Sound of White Noise when they are complete and utter shit. Anthrax is just too damn poppy and catchy for my taste. It's fun to listen to a song or two here and there, but I can't take full albums of this stuff. Yet it isn't necessarily the "punkish" aspects I don't like, I like all kinds of punk and crossover. Anthrax just feel weak and thin and commercial to me. Part of me wants to like it more, seeing as how influential they are and the respect they have among the metal community, etc., but at the end of the day, they're just OK. I'd like to see what would have happened is Neil Turbin stuck around a little longer. Whatever happened to that guy?

My view exactly. Niel is in a band called Deathriders. (go figure eh? XD) They have a page on the UM forum.

death234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:08 pm 

I never really liked anthrax. I always thought they weren't that heavy.:boo:

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:29 pm 

troublemagnet wrote:
If you want Anthrax done right try Paradox's Heresey album, Whiplash & Nuclear Assault were better NYC bands

I see Paradox's Heresy being thrown around a lot, but in this case, I am truly dumbfounded. How does Heresy sound at all like Anthrax?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 pm 

FragKrag wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:

I see Paradox's Heresy being thrown around a lot, but in this case, I am truly dumbfounded. How does Heresy sound at all like Anthrax?

Evildead is much closer to Anthrax than Paradox, unless he is referring to Fistful Of Metal?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 pm 

death234 wrote:

Because an arbitrary measure of heaviness is the defining aspect of good metal. In this case, why the hell am I listening to Skyclad?! I'm'nna go blast some fuckin' Whitechapel!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:32 pm 

death234 wrote:

They weren't supposed to be "that heavy."

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:01 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
FragKrag wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:

Evildead is much closer to Anthrax than Paradox, unless he is referring to Fistful Of Metal?

I see almost zero connection between Paradox and Anthrax, other than the fact that they both end in "x".

mot_the_barber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:06 pm 

I like all their albums through Persistence of Time, but I have to say that the one I listen to most is for some reason even I don't understand We've Come For You All. I just think it's filled with really great melodies and I actually like the groove aspects of it, for once. I don't know why.

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm 

I enjoy Anthrax a lot and came up on albums like Persistence Of Time and State Of Euphoria. To be honest though, I prefer the John Bush albums, there's a lot of good stuff there if one is open to it. I'm interested in their next disc with this new guy, he sounds like a perfect cross between Bush and Belladonna to me.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:09 pm 

I'd say I only like their first 3 albums, but with 'like' I mean SOME OF THE GREATEST ALBUMS EVER YEAAH!! But after that they got really uninteresting, and lost that 'fun' edge they had before. I think Persistence of Time is really overrated as well; it's got decent tunes here and there, but it's boring to listen at from beginning to end.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:02 am 

I like Spreading the Disease, but everything afterward is extremely hit-or-miss. Especially Belladonna who tries to sing too much like your average thrash vocalist, but with more range. It sounds really goofy at times.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 am 

Spreading the Disease and Among the Living are two classics that every thrash/speed/heavy fan should have in his collection. Everything else is pretty much optional, with some of it being plain bad.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:59 am 

morbert wrote:
Wet Pussy wrote:
Mezentus wrote:
AtL is the PERFECT sound that thrash should be.

Agreed.

Agreed as well

What you guys say! ATL to me is prob the greatest thrash album of all time, agressive, melodic, fast/slow, heavy as fuck guitar tone/sound, it has it all, a timeless classic imo. I have all the thrash albums you can think off, but this one album has got the most spins in my cd player this 20+ years and is still goin strong! :headbang:

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
RevBau wrote:
HumanWaste5150 wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
RevBau wrote:

WTF?

Uh, no.

Toxic Holocaust has almost pure Destruction and Sodom influence, and Municipal Waste is more in line with Nuclear Assault and Wehrmacht.

P.S. Learn to spell, please.

Don't forget that Municipal Waste are drawing massive influence from D.R.I.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 am 

Besides... with songs like "Skeleton in the Closet", "I Am The Law", "Imitation of Life", "Efilnekiwhatever [NFL]", and "Among the Living" how can you NOT love that album?!?

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:03 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
FragKrag wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:

Evildead does not sound like Anthrax to my ears.

And why the hell anyone would compare Paradox's Heresy album to Anthrax, saying that it sounds like that, is way beyond me.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:45 am 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
And why the hell anyone would compare Paradox's Heresy album to Anthrax, saying that it sounds like that, is way beyond me.

Probably just trying to score Obscurity Points.

Paradox is okay for one of the also-ran thrash bands of the era, but they're basically forgettable. There is a reason people argue about Among the Living and have blank stares when it comes to Heresy.

But from what I remember of Heresy (it's been a few years since I've heard it), if you're a big fan of thrash from the 80s, it is worth finding as there are many records worse than it.

Plantweed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 am 

Joey-era Anthrax was like a bad Catskills resort Metallica clone fronted by Steve Perry.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:26 am 

kwellada wrote:

Probably just trying to score Obscurity Points.

Paradox is okay for one of the also-ran thrash bands of the era, but they're basically forgettable. There is a reason people argue about Among the Living and have blank stares when it comes to Heresy.

But from what I remember of Heresy (it's been a few years since I've heard it), if you're a big fan of thrash from the 80s, it is worth finding as there are many records worse than it.

We should start a Paradox thread! (To be honest all four Paradox releases are def worth tracking down, very under rated thrash band, there new stuff is as good as most thrash acts today.) I also can not see any comparison what so ever between them and Anthrax apart from being two good bands (apart from Anthrax's later shit :mad: )

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:33 am 

Plantweed wrote:
Joey-era Anthrax was like a bad Catskills resort Metallica clone fronted by Steve Perry.

Yes, but so is your face.

Now we know.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:45 am 

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
Among The Living had the best use of gang vocals in metal by far. Only Vio-lence ever came close.

I suggest listening to any of Necronomicon's albums, they raised the practice of the gang vocals to an absolute art form. Not to downplay the fact that Anthrax was an influence in pioneering that aspect of thrash.

Plantweed wrote:

This is without a doubt the dumbest post I think I've ever seen in relation to Anthrax. I suppose next we'll be comparing Belladonna to Vince Neil. :durr:

On-Topic:

Among The Living is an overrated Anthrax album, most of the songs sound way too similar to each other. It's the weakest of all the Belladonna albums as far as I see it, despite that several songs on it are undeniable classics. And also, the person who referred to Anthrax as a single oriented band has probably never listened to "Spreading The Disease" all the way through, there is absolutely no filler at all in there. Same basically goes for "Persistence Of Time".
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Plantweed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am 

kwellada wrote:

Now we know.

And how old are you?

Plantweed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I suppose next we'll be comparing Belladonna to Vince Neil.

Actually I'd rather listen to Shout at the Devil than any Anthrax. At least its dumbness has a certain charm.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:39 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
FragKrag wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:

Evildead does not sound like Anthrax to my ears.

Ah, I take that back. I have no idea why Lääz Rockit never came to me, but they are certainly more on par with Anthrax.

TheFourHorsemen666 wrote:
Among The Living had the best use of gang vocals in metal by far. Only Vio-lence ever came close.

Vio-Lence and Exodus are the kings of the thrash metal gang vocals. Ever heard "Kill On Command"? Seriously. Those are some fucking gang vocals for your ass. FOR YOUR ASS.

hells_unicorn wrote:
And also, the person who referred to Anthrax as a single oriented band has probably never listened to "Spreading The Disease" all the way through, there is absolutely no filler at all in there. Same basically goes for "Persistence Of Time".

That was me. :nods:

I own every Anthrax album. Excluding Fistful Of Metal and Spreading The Disease, the following albums always seemed very singles driven. State Of Euphoria is a good example. The title track is the darnedest, catchiest track on the entire album, but nothing else compares to it. Their first two albums are pure thrashing speed mayhem.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:52 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Ah, I take that back. I have no idea why Lääz Rockit never came to me, but they are certainly more on par with Anthrax.

I wouldn't go that far. Annihilation Principle was decent, but their debut is absolutely atrocious and Know Your Enemy is very dated by now. Granted, I still have yet to hear No Stranger to Danger, but they were definitely a second tier band with few notable achievements.

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
State Of Euphoria is a good example. The title track is the darnedest, catchiest track on the entire album, but nothing else compares to it.

Something so awesome, it doesn't exist? Sweet!

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 pm 

Plantweed wrote:
kwellada wrote:

Now we know.

And how old are you?

You're the one who said "Joey-era Anthrax was like a bad Catskills resort Metallica clone fronted by Steve Perry."

Try harder.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next