Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:40 am 

That's what will actually probably happen: A.J. will get injured. That was the biggest concern in signing him. He gets hurt just crossing the street.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:45 am 

Past history is good evidence there. The man is a total band-aid. Plus he's a total hothead. Let's face it, the Yankees probably have the most brutal fans ever, in any sport, any country. Even if Burnett isn't injured, once he starts fucking up, the fans and media will eat him alive, and I really don't think he's capable of handling that kind of pressure. Hell, he blew tantrums from Toronto's fans, and that's pretty fucking tame in comparison to New York (forget about the Maple Leaf fans, they're an entirely different species :p). Pitching in New York is tantamount to Hell's Kitchen - very, very few people can withstand such a vicious environment, and to be honest, Burnett is one of the LAST people I'd want to see there. He'll crack faster than <insert really witty analogy here>.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:47 am 

I think he will be the next Kevin Brown. Had some good seasons. Got overpaid and injured too much. Never lived up to the expectations. The Yankees don't know how to farm their own players anymore. They just sign a bunch of mercs. Toronto seems to have a good farm system so they will be better soon.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 am 

Yeah, Kevin Brown is a fairly good comparison, except he had several good seasons - Burnett only had one, really.

Toronto will be fine once they ail from injuries and get some prospects up. Not sure how long Halladay will remain in the organization though. Mind you, he's one of the rare players who actually has some semblance of team loyalty.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:54 am 

In any other division, they could easily make a run. If they were competing against the ball clubs that make up the NL West, the Blue Jays would be shoe-ins for the play-offs.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:10 am 

I honestly wish the Jays would move to the AL Central, or the NL East. They'd definitely have a chance then. Again, the AL East is absolutely brutal, and its even worse now since the Rays decided to turn into a good team. Hell, Baltimore isn't even THAT bad of a team. They were the best "last place team" last year. If most teams were put in the AL east, they'd be ripped to shreds... Imagine how some of the worthless hacks in the NL West would fare in the AL East :lol:

Lesbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:26 am 

I couldn't help but read that you guys are talking about the Blue Jays. I used to pitch for the Lansing Lugnuts which are the A ball affiliate for the Blue Jays. I never made it past A ball since I blew out my shoulder; therefore never coming close to being called up. 47 career strikeouts and an a 3.57 ERA.

By the way, the DH is a complete joke! Major League Baseball needs to get rid of it but it will never happen because fans like the long ball and the union would never allow it because it takes jobs away.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:04 am 

Lesbert wrote:
I couldn't help but read that you guys are talking about the Blue Jays. I used to pitch for the Lansing Lugnuts which are the A ball affiliate for the Blue Jays. I never made it past A ball since I blew out my shoulder; therefore never coming close to being called up. 47 career strikeouts and an a 3.57 ERA.

By the way, the DH is a complete joke! Major League Baseball needs to get rid of it but it will never happen because fans like the long ball and the union would never allow it because it takes jobs away.

My condolences about your injury.

With the DH rule, I'm of the "all or nothing" mentality: either both leagues should have it, or neither should. Inter-league play makes this painfully obvious. Sure, not having the pitchers hit makes thing more "entertaining" in an offensive sense, but it makes the managerial part of the game a lot more dumbed down. Lacking the DH makes the pitchers more accountable, so pitchers like Pedro Martinez can't bean batters all the time, cuz if he did, he'd get decapitated when he took the plate. Plus, I always felt that DHs were a bit of a liability to the team: you get some guy who's only half in the game. Sitting on the bench most of the time has to have an impact. I'd rather see pitchers learn how to hit or play a productive role than have someone who's too inept to play the field hit instead. Plus, neglecting the DH makes far more use of the bench - which is why I find the NL games a bit more interesting than AL games. "Professional" pinch hitters, substitutional players, etc play a far greater role. Plus, the decision whether or not to yank the pitcher plays a FAR greater role. NL rules are a lot more cerebral and meaningful, IMO. Lacking the DH adds far more depth and interest to the game. Fuck offense and home runs...

Lesbert
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:16 am 

Ah thanks. Yeah, it sucked plus I had to undergo one Tommy John before that. I never struck out anyone of note during my days of minor league ball but I did get taken long by Shannon Stewart back when he was coming up.

Yeah as far as the DH thing, it might be entertaining for fans to see DH's rather then seeing pitchers hit. And I betcha without the DH there would be less of these AL throwers who pitch deep inside and think they're Men of the Earth. The only guy I give props to in pitching inside was Pedro because he used to do it in the NL too. If the DH hadn't been put in place, maybe there would be more pitchers who would practice on hitting and be better at it overall and it wouldn't be so dreadful. And I hate all the armor that these hitters now wear when they are at the plate. Elbow pads and all that crap. Another reason why homers are up these days.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:12 am 

Lesbert wrote:
Ah thanks. Yeah, it sucked plus I had to undergo one Tommy John before that. I never struck out anyone of note during my days of minor league ball but I did get taken long by Shannon Stewart back when he was coming up.

Yeah as far as the DH thing, it might be entertaining for fans to see DH's rather then seeing pitchers hit. And I betcha without the DH there would be less of these AL throwers who pitch deep inside and think they're Men of the Earth. The only guy I give props to in pitching inside was Pedro because he used to do it in the NL too. If the DH hadn't been put in place, maybe there would be more pitchers who would practice on hitting and be better at it overall and it wouldn't be so dreadful. And I hate all the armor that these hitters now wear when they are at the plate. Elbow pads and all that crap. Another reason why homers are up these days.

Yeah, some hitters almost look like NHL goalies coming up to the plate, with their knee and elbow guards and whatnot. I just like the strategic element of NL rules. To me, baseball is and always has been a cerebral, precision sport. The DH, and ultimately the power hitter role, just dumbs things down. I wish a team similar to Whitey Herzog's Cardinals would come to be, that'd make things interesting. Small ball, stolen bases, etc make things a lot more interesting. Just imagine how much havoc someone like Rickey Henderson or Vince Coleman would wreak nowadays. Sure, having these steroid-pumped behemoths hitting 60 home runs a year is entertaining, but I haven't seen a team with such people win a world series. Personally, my favorite hitter at the moment is Ichiro. Too bad he's on a horribly shitty team. Guys like him, Tony Gwynn, etc I've always admired. God, imagine if someone took the contact hitting of Tony Gwynn and the base-stealing of Rickey Henderson... that'd give so many pitchers migraines.... It seems like 50% of the time, if a batter steals a base, the ball goes in the outfield.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:46 am 

A bit late but a monumental knock by Gambhir yesterday to salvage the Napier Test and crucial contributions from Dravid earlier and VVS on the last day. No doubt his - and their - job was made easier by a flat pitch and lack of penetration in the bowling but this was still vintage Test cricket. As Sehwag said, nobody bats 11 hours in an innings these days - certainly not him for starters! All the more impressive because it is not Gambhir's instinct to defend and eschew aggression. He has shown maturity beyond his years. ebulus, see what I told ya about Gambhir being far superior to the likes of Kambli. ;) Also delighted to see VVS in full flow again, the drives never stopped after tea. Unfortunately for NZ, all the Indian batsmen have batted themselves into prime form now and Sehwag is yet to unleash his ODI form to boot.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:11 am 

Jay Cutler is as good as gone from Denver. Today, the Broncos announced that they have decided to actively trade him after 10 days of failing to get a hold of the huffied quarterback. So where to? Just try this one out for size:

A three way deal: Denver gets Matt Leinart and their first round pick from Arizona. Denver sends Jay Cutler to Detriot and Arizona gets the Lions' 1st overall 2009 draft pick.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:00 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Jay Cutler is as good as gone from Denver. Today, the Broncos announced that they have decided to actively trade him after 10 days of failing to get a hold of the huffied quarterback. So where to? Just try this one out for size:

A three way deal: Denver gets Matt Leinart and their first round pick from Arizona. Denver sends Jay Cutler to Detriot and Arizona gets the Lions' 1st overall 2009 draft pick.

If I was Arizona, I'd just hang onto Leinart because I do think he'll be a good QB and Kurt Warner *maybe* has one more season in the tank. 38 year old QBs are just not durable for a full season. Leinart is hopefully learning a lot being the backup to Warner and using Steve Young as his role model for waiting his turn.

However, it'd serve Cutler right to be sent to a terrible team where he'll just continue his losing, interception-ridden ways. Cutler makes poor decisions. I saw him throw the ball into double coverage and ignore wide open receivers.

He's not very popular in the NFL either. And it's not just Philip Rivers. Apparently veterans on the NY Jets do not like Cutler and would rather go with their inexperienced trio of youngsters than bring in Cutler.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:32 pm 

I agree with most of your take but if that deal was to be, then the Cardinals could possibly think about drafting Matt Stafford as Kurt's replacement in '10 or even '11 with that first pick. However, they would also be tempted with the choices of great OT's in the draft or a defensive player. Or they could also trade the pick if they didn't want to pay first pick money for a player.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:36 pm 

I doubt Stafford lasts very long in the draft, though I don't see him being a Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco type of rookie. Arizona certainly needs to think about their backup QB position long and hard because Warner could easily get hurt in week 2 and be out for a long period.

Arizona may be best served by sticking to fortifying defensive and offensive lines and coaching up Leinart as much as possible.

It's fun to speculate!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:41 pm 

Yes, it is. I love draft time and watching all the Mel Kiper mocks. Stafford impressed the hell out of Detroit during pro day and I think he will probably be selected by them.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:46 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Yes, it is. I love draft time and watching all the Mel Kiper mocks. Stafford impressed the hell out of Detroit during pro day and I think he will probably be selected by them.

Yeah, that is what I read. Whoever plays QB for the Lions has Calvin Johnson to throw to so that's a major plus. That guy is a phenomenal receiver and it's a shame he's on such a bad team right now. Detroit probably just needs to figure if they want a QB with 3 years experience or throw yet another kid into the fire like they did with Joey Harrington.

I love how all the NFL writers instantly grade a draft before a single down of football is played.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:10 pm 

Cutler traded to Chicago!!! They were THE darkhorse int eh trade talks. Suprising.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 pm 

Chicago is going to regret this, I think. Denver gets Kyle Orton and while Orton is never going to be confused with a Manning, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees or Tom Brady, he tends to win more games than he loses as a starter. If McDaniels really is the quarterback guru, Orton can run an offense well enough to put his team in the playoffs, assuming Denver uses those draft picks to build a better defense. Orton has never had anyone like Branodn Marshall or Eddie Royal for receivers. Cutler is about to find out what it's like to have no one to throw the ball to. The Bears will be disgruntled when they have several 3 INT games per season, costing them victories.

By the way, I really don't like Cutler. Denver was better off with Jake Plummer.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:37 pm 

Cutler doesn't get any closer to winning anymore than he did with Denver but I guess it's better than going to the Lions. The Bears have a better defense than Denver but Chicago's offense is stagnant. He has no weapons right now.
Denver gets Orton, Chicago's first round pick and next year's first rounder too.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:10 am 

I'm excited to see some Bronco games, they've got some pretty exciting things to watch:
Dawkins in the D,
2 backup RBs
New QB
New Coach
No more tempers?

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:04 am 

So apparently Patrick Roy is no longer "The King" anymore...

Martin Brodeur surpassed him recently. Fuckin' Devils.

As for the Bronco's; I'm kinda stoked. Here's to hoping for a good, fresh season! :beer:

EDIT - wtf? Cutler is gone? FUCK YEAH! New QB??

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:10 am 

I'm still waiting for South Park to have their take on the situation given Cutler was in their Guitar Hero Episode

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:26 am 

I was reading today's MORNING JOLT on SI and apparently, Jay Cutler has an issude/grudge against Chicago's OC going back from when the QB was a senior in high school. The OC was at that time head coach for the Illuni and changed his mind about recruiting Cutler at the last minute. It looks like Jay will rival T.O. for biggest primadonna in the NFL. He'll probably boycott the OC too. Denver will be the winner from this trade.

kwellada
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:43 pm 

WTF! A few sportswriters have mentioned Cutler has been a complainer since high school and that confirms it. I wonder if the blue collar type of players on the Bears are going to accept him...apparently in Denver the other players liked him well enough but no one considered him a leader.

Kyle Orton at least had respect from his teammates and probably will get that immediately in Denver.

No wonder Cutler couldn't handle the razzing Philip Rivers gave him. Rivers has always laughed it off as silly fun and "nothing I couldn't say in front of my wife or mom", but Cutler always looked like the meanest kid in school just stole his lunch money.

He's going to be the next Jeff George: big arm, huge potential, bad personality and ultimately a punch line.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:38 am 

I'm sorry but:

South Sydney on top. Manly winless. Storm only 2 from 4, after dropping a HOME GAME, just the fourth in the past 44 home games, to a franchise that scored 10 points in its past 3 games to Storm's 152 (I'm including the Chargers as well as the Titans).

National Rugby League has been turned upside down, shaken and dropped on its head so far in 2009!!

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:13 pm 

It was good to see Mark Texiera and Sabathia Bloody Sabathia go bust in their Yankee debut. Hopefully A.J. lays an egg.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 pm 

Not a good start for alot of star pitchers. Cole Hamels isn't 100%, he got roughed up. C.C. has sucked so far. Brandon Webb got rocked and he will miss his next start. Cliff Lee is pitching like a 20 game loser.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:57 am 

Yeah, Dice-K sucked too. At least Beckett owned. :)

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:18 am 

Too many Aussies and Americans dominating this thread with talk of sports I know NOTHING about. Crunch game this weekend for Liverpool. Looks like Gerrard is out and being rested for the game against Chelsea (which doesn't look overly positive at this stage). Regardless of what happens from now to the end of the season, we've exceeded my expectations. I wanted us to challenge for the Premier League and we still are, in April! We've never done that in my life-time as a supporter. With a few signings, we could go on to win it I feel. Next season will be interesting as I also hear some of the academy stars are rising up.

I think we'll beat Blackburn. :)

Oh, on another note, my friend and I are travelling up to Anfield for the Liverpool - Newcastle game, but the only way I'll get a ticket is if I sit in the away end, with the Newcastle fans. :( That will be an awkward day. I assume I'll be tipsy too, singing Liverpool anthems around the disgruntled Geordies.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:48 am 

Wow, Toronto's bats are actually doing something this year. The pitching is suspect so far, but man, I haven't seen an offensive explosion like this in years. Quite a relief, considering how anemic their offense has been the last couple years.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:31 am 

If only there was a franchise tag in major league baseball. Toronto no less would have used it on A.J. Hindsight, I know but they could have really used him right now.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:50 am 

The 2009 NFL schedule was released. What do any of you guys think of your team's schedule? Arizona has a moderate one and they have 3 prime-time slots. No back-to-back East Coast trips.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:07 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
Too many Aussies and Americans dominating this thread with talk of sports I know NOTHING about. Crunch game this weekend for Liverpool. Looks like Gerrard is out and being rested for the game against Chelsea (which doesn't look overly positive at this stage). Regardless of what happens from now to the end of the season, we've exceeded my expectations. I wanted us to challenge for the Premier League and we still are, in April! We've never done that in my life-time as a supporter. With a few signings, we could go on to win it I feel. Next season will be interesting as I also hear some of the academy stars are rising up.

I think we'll beat Blackburn. :)

Oh, on another note, my friend and I are travelling up to Anfield for the Liverpool - Newcastle game, but the only way I'll get a ticket is if I sit in the away end, with the Newcastle fans. :( That will be an awkward day. I assume I'll be tipsy too, singing Liverpool anthems around the disgruntled Geordies.

Why haven't you been here, with us clogging up the thread with our pro-Reds propaganda!!!

Great demolition of Blackburn, even if we didn't get on top of the table.

We've won enough Champions League titles, we're clearly fucked against Chelski, there's no hope of salvaging a 6-1 goal difference. We should just concentrate on winning the EPL, putting our minds to it, we can still win it.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:14 am 

Damn, A.J. Burnett almost pitched a no-no today. So far, he looks like he is going to be very, very scary in that rotation. I wish Toronto would have ponied up for him now because I want the Yankees to miss the post season again. He is susceptible to getting hurt so there is plenty of time. Hopefully Smoltz and Jon Lester and Beckett pitch the Red Soz into another division to oust NY. I will be pulling for Tampa too.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:10 am 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Why haven't you been here, with us clogging up the thread with our pro-Reds propaganda!!!

Great demolition of Blackburn, even if we didn't get on top of the table.

We've won enough Champions League titles, we're clearly fucked against Chelski, there's no hope of salvaging a 6-1 goal difference. We should just concentrate on winning the EPL, putting our minds to it, we can still win it.

All I could see was banter about American sports, which I don't watch, and AFL talk, which I truly hate. :)

We strolled to victory against Blackburn. Agger's goal was good, but not as special as Torres' volley on the turn. Crucial game against Arsenal next, we cannot afford to slip up AT ALL for the remainder of the season. Bar that game, I can definitely see us winning them all. We need United to slip up twice, doesn't look good. Lady luck forever smiles on them.

Did you watch the game last night? Though I suppose it was morning for you. 4-4 against Chelsea. Great fighting spirit. We at least deserved to win on the night. Shame we're out, but we've had a good season. Hope we can build on it next year.

immortalshadow666

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:45 pm 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
We strolled to victory against Blackburn. Agger's goal was good, but not as special as Torres' volley on the turn. Crucial game against Arsenal next, we cannot afford to slip up AT ALL for the remainder of the season. Bar that game, I can definitely see us winning them all. We need United to slip up twice, doesn't look good. Lady luck forever smiles on them.

I heard nothing about it. I thought it was on tonight, but I've been away for a couple of nights in the middle of nowhere. I came back to find out from my best mate who fucking hates "soccer" (fag lol) that we had that draw... damn it.

Still, with any luck Man U will slip up. We wouldn't have to be hoping for slip ups if we hadn't got all those really soft draws earlier in the season against teams like fucking Stoke City. -__-

I triple hope we win against Arsenal. Not just because it's crucial to us, and not just because it's another one of the big four, but because I hate the Gunners for personal reasons. Cunts :P

For after the big game, Hull, Newcastle, Hammers, West Brom and Spurs should all be a stroll in the park (touch wood).

On another topic, I'm surprised that two out of the three promoted clubs look like staying this year. Isn't it a rare occurrence for more than one promoted team to stay in the Premier League?

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:55 pm 

We put in a brave performance. It was a terrific game, to be fair, with a few spectacular goals. I'm hoping Porto go on to win the competition. Just because its Porto, the underdog.

That was our problem last season. The stats clearly say we were the best team in the second half of the season, but we drew too many times. Its these draws against lesser sides that are killing us. We need another striker for next season and maybe another winger. We've got a few youngsters who look really promising ... Pacheco, Spearing, Pepper. Perhaps too young to make the step up just yet.

If we beat Arsenal, and Arsenal beat United, we're in with a good chance. Even if it goes to goal difference, we're in pole position. I should be going to see the Newcastle game at Anfield and then getting royally drunk afterwards. :D

Well, teams fail to stay up because those who do stay up regularly get a LOT of money for doing so, therefore they can buy the best players, whereas the small teams who come up (like Hull, who're now struggling) don't have the same amounts of money to be able to compete. Its a big problem in English football. Its become a businessman's game. Just look at Man City. A new billionaire owner who can buy just about anyone in the world ... Without his money, City would be struggling. Its all about money.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 pm 

So Burnett almost threw a no-no yesterday and Tim Wakefield took one into the 8th inning today. A knuckleballer! I always knew you had to be a damn good thrower of that to be able to consistently stay in a rotation like T.W. has all these years-much less taking a no hitter into the eighth and not having much of a secondary pitch in the arsenal.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:19 pm 

NBA:

So, looks like Kevin Garnett is out for the entire post-season.

Go-go Cavaliers?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 136  Next