Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am 

ebola_legion wrote:
Karnstein_Records wrote:
Lord Worm and... are some obvious ones.

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see Cryptopsy live, but, strictly speaking of Worm on the grounds of studio recordings I would have to agree. From his time on Blasphemy Made Flesh to Once Was Not he scaled back his vocal performance. Not as in the quality degraded over time, but as in his range and the types of screams he performed... as if it were a conscious decision. I never really understood why he did that. Would have been nice to hear some of his inhuman screams on albums with better recording budgets.

The rest of the band made him change his style on "Once Was Not" to not alienate fans of the albums without him.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 am 

screamingstatue wrote:
I'll stat the obvious and say Hetfield. Never an ''awesome'' vocalist, perhaps, but he had a great thrash voice on the early albums, which has now sadly turned to a strained screech :/

Yes!! Since he stopped drinking, his voice turned into something incredibly gay!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:58 am 

The_Boss wrote:
Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
Never a good vocalist, but at the start a decent one - Anders Fridan (In Flames). I don't even think what he does now can be called 'singing'.

This is what I thought of. I listen to Whoracle and Jester Race and am amazed at how sweet his vocals are, and my amazement only triples when I listen to the new shit, it's so sad. He wasn't amazing but his growls early on were pretty decent and very enjoyable.

Although his vocals aren't the only thing wrong with new Flames, but it's the biggest part.

Man, his vocals are absolute garbage on older stuff too. He's never had a good voice, or even a mediocre one.

Also, the fact that people actually like Pantera's Power Metal confuses the hell out of me. It's an absolutely horrible record. Everything from CFH to FBD is way, way better then that album.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 am 

caspian wrote:
What? He sounds way more menacing on black album and AJFA then he does on the first two. he sounds like a teenager before puberty on the first two.

With some reluctance I'd agree on Hetfield, though. He had a great thrash voice, then lost that for some pretty decent melodic vocals for a few albums, and then proceeded to lose that, too. He tends to have an ok voice for the first few shows on tour, then it's just all downhill from there.

HAHA yes. I heard Master of Puppets and AJFA, then Ride the Lightning, then I bought a copy of Kill em All on tape at some point and I was like WUT? That's James? His balls must not have dropped yet! In retrospect I like Kill em All all right now, it was a decent sort of braindead thrash album, not to be compared with the music on the next 3 albums really, but James' voice on it took getting used to. [/rambling]

I think James had a good thrash voice, right up until recent years. I didn't like most of the post-AJFA music, but his voice was ok on the self-titled anyway. I did listen to Death Magnetic and thought he sounded awful, like off key and just.. bad, i dunno...

Quote:
Yes!! Since he stopped drinking, his voice turned into something incredibly gay!

Blame it on the booze. Good idea. Maybe that's why the music started to suck so badly, too.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:43 am 

Atrocious_Mutilation wrote:
I know I'll get murdered and raped if I say this, but Chuck Schuldiner. He was perfect for all their albums up to TSoP. I don't know, maybe I'm just not used to it yet or maybe I wasn't made to handle their most progressive album. But right now I stay away from the album because of the vocals. And then he died, so then no more voice to hear.

I also had some troubles with TSoP but now I look upon it as an experiment. A one-off. Now if he had made several more albums with that voice I would've gotten melancholic...

Alaphlosiam
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 pm 

Basically, as stated by past posts:

- David Vincent: god, I miss his amazing rasp; now it's just... "HURR"

- Phil Anselmo: what happened to his falsetto... scream thing? (I'm not good with terminology) The ending of Cemetery Gates was awesome, but on the live, he screamed it.

- Glenn Benton: vocals on Deicide, Legion, and Serpents of the Light are how they should've stayed... not "RAWR RAWR RAWR".

- James Hetfield: I definitely prefer Ride the Lightning vocals to anything afterwards. Sounds like Nickelback's singer or something later.

- Alexi Laiho: Hatebreeder-era's black metal rasp was awesome, and now it's just a shitty... shout.
Do you realize that more Americans were killed by Great White than by the Iraqi Army in Gulf War 1?

pilawhitetrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm 

1. Brett Hoffman (Malevolent Creation) - Vox on Ten Commandments, and Retribution are excellent with great range. I can't even listen to him on Envenomed. It's just gone.

2. Aaron Stainthorpe (My Dying Bride) - Hate to say it but his harsh vocals are just weak/blah today. I haven't heard him live for a bit but the brief glimpse of death metal vox on the last two albums were really weak and the one track on For Lies I Sire, the vocals are just terrible.

3. Dani Filth - someone said when did he ever have good vocals? I enjoyed Dusk, Cruelty and Midian vocals alot. Trying to listen to him hit the shrieks today is painful.

4. Nick (Paradise Lost)- so good on early releases.

saintinhell
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:20 pm 

Jonas and La Brie are the ones that I had thought of too, so I will go along with them. With Dickinson or Hetfield, it seems more like age catching up with them, so I wouldn't quite classify them as vocalists who lost their voice early, the decline is certainly not that drastic at any rate. Halford is a tricky one, he didn't really lose it early or anything like that but after listening to him on the early Priest albums, I find most of his singing on the 80s and later albums rather disagreeable, too raspy and gruff. By Painkiller, age definitely seems to be catching up with him, but at least on Screaming..and Defenders, it seems more likely that he was deliberately singing badly, if I can put it that way.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 pm 

Propably already mentioned, but Russ Anderson (Forbidden). He sounds pretty shitty nowadays.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:51 pm 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:
Heroin doesn't fuck with your voice, you dumbass. Phil was a horrible vocalist anyway.

Have you heard Power Metal. or do you really buy into their historical revisionism?

So true. Before I listened to some of the tracks off of Power Metal, I thought the same thing, but Phil is actually really damn good on that album.
I've never heard it nor do I care to hear it. The only worthwhile thing that Anselmo has done was play guitar for the Arson Anthem LP, since his fucking mouth was shut and Mike Williams was able to do what he does best.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:13 pm 

caspian wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
Never a good vocalist, but at the start a decent one - Anders Fridan (In Flames). I don't even think what he does now can be called 'singing'.

This is what I thought of. I listen to Whoracle and Jester Race and am amazed at how sweet his vocals are, and my amazement only triples when I listen to the new shit, it's so sad. He wasn't amazing but his growls early on were pretty decent and very enjoyable.

Although his vocals aren't the only thing wrong with new Flames, but it's the biggest part.

Man, his vocals are absolute garbage on older stuff too. He's never had a good voice, or even a mediocre one.

Also, the fact that people actually like Pantera's Power Metal confuses the hell out of me. It's an absolutely horrible record. Everything from CFH to FBD is way, way better then that album.

I'm waaaaaaaayyyyyyy more of a traditional/speed/whatever fan than you, but I'll wholeheartedly agree that Power Metal isn't up to much. In fact I don't like Phil's voice much on it either. I do like his stuff in Down, though.

As for Angelripper, I've still heard him do some good live stuff. But in the studio I'm not too sure, I think for the S/T album Andy Brings encouraged him to sing in a different style (probably because he still hates Angelripper! :P)

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:22 pm 

pilawhitetrash wrote:
1. Brett Hoffman (Malevolent Creation) - Vox on Ten Commandments, and Retribution are excellent with great range. I can't even listen to him on Envenomed. It's just gone.

Hmm, have to check out later works to compare it then. I only know Ten Commandments and Retribution (love'm!). Haven't heard later works. Saw them live once a few years back but that truly sucked. Dunno who the vocalist was at that gig. but he was ba(l)d!

pilawhitetrash wrote:
4. Nick (Paradise Lost)- so good on early releases.

But he was so damn good on One Second & Symbol of Life. He actually became a real vocalist there. But I'm a Depeche Mode fanboy so I'm biased. Also love PL's old shit. Especially Gothic and Icon. However I do not like Nicks vocal on In Requiem. They're missing something

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:27 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Woolie_Wool wrote:
WebOfPiss wrote:
Heroin doesn't fuck with your voice, you dumbass. Phil was a horrible vocalist anyway.

Have you heard Power Metal. or do you really buy into their historical revisionism?

So true. Before I listened to some of the tracks off of Power Metal, I thought the same thing, but Phil is actually really damn good on that album.
I've never heard it nor do I care to hear it. The only worthwhile thing that Anselmo has done was play guitar for the Arson Anthem LP, since his fucking mouth was shut and Mike Williams was able to do what he does best.

In other words, you have no idea what you're talking about.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

ExNihilos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm 

I know I'll get murdered and raped if I say this, but Chuck Schuldiner. He was perfect for all their albums up to TSoP. I don't know, maybe I'm just not used to it yet or maybe I wasn't made to handle their most progressive album. But right now I stay away from the album because of the vocals. And then he died, so then no more voice to hear.

Honestly I never thought he was a great death metal vocalist. Death is a good band, but his guitarwork is where the fanboyism comes from for the most part I'd believe.

I'd go with Anders Friden and Jonas Renske for the most part. They started off great or at least decent.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:34 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
The first that comes to mind is James LaBrie, who had a phenomenal voice from his late-80s work with Winter Rose to Awake, but never really recovered from tearing his vocal cords after sampling Cuban cuisine. And then we got Daniel Heiman, who sounded like an even better version of early-90s LaBrie while performing with Lost Horizon, and then for some reason decided he'd rather sing shitty core music than continue with one of the only power metal bands in Europe that actually still has balls, and it's affecting his voice--he's starting to croak like Phil Anselmo. He probably wouldn't have a chance in hell of hitting the D6 on "Highlander - The One" nowadays.

FragKrag wrote:
LaBrie from Dream Theater. He used to be able to hit those high notes, and sing fairly well... but now he really can't do any of it anymore.

Didn't he eat a poisonous taco or something?

He got food poisoning in Cuba. I have no idea why he even went to Cuba, never mind ate what passes for food there.

Haha yeah. I knew it was a Latin American country, just not sure where. His work in Awake was amazing. He lost it right after that, but he made a semi recovery later on. Sometimes he can hit some higher notes.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 pm 

Kevin Sharp.

Kevin Sharp on Brutal Truth's first album = amazing death growls and ear piercing screams.

Kevin Sharp on anything else = some half-assed growl/yell that sounds like shit. Sounds like another guy.

What the hell happened? This occurred in like a two year period.

Horvat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:11 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:

If you're not willing to hear how his early voice was, then your opinion on the matter is void. You shouldn't state an opinion without looking at all of the evidence.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:52 am 

Abbath.

I loved his vocals on extremely early Immortal, but when he went Popeye with them, I just stopped listening.

He sounds like such a joke now.

As for some others, Dani Filth used to have a powerful shreak going on. I actually enjoyed it. Now, I can't stand to listen to it. It has lost...something fairly huge, but I can't exactly say what. He has always been a shrill, somewhat annoying vocalist, but now it is just beyond reason.

Shagrath is another mention, while in the mainstream. He has gotten very Popeye with his vocals too, and it is just annoying. He wasn't bad at all on Enthrone and Spiritual.

I agree with the comments about Chuck. He was great on early Death records, but after that it was very down hill. The Painkiller cover they do is awful simply because of the vocals. It did nothing for me.

superchef79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:38 am 

in my opinion that would probably be the phil anselmo (pantera) i think hes in superjoint ritual now but im not really sure
i sure miss when pantera was a band oh well at least they still sell albums
RIP Dime

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:48 am 

Sagebear wrote:

Strange, because I really liked his voice on The Sound of Perseverance.

Strange, because Chuck's vocals were too fucking awesome on The Sound of Perseverance.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 am 

i see where the guy is coming from in the opinion of Shuldiner/The Sound of Perseverance.
i think you're going to fall into one of the three categories:

a) I LOVE it! it's Death, and he does no wrong
b) i don't necessarily "hate" the vocals on The Sound of Perseverance but damn do i wish he sounded more like he did on Symbolic...oh well
c) it sounds like blackmetal drrr i don't have a fucking clue *drrroooool*

ok so c is more like an extension of "i don't like it at all" but i remember when the album hit a lot of people were bitching saying it sounded like black metal haha!!!!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:56 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Sagebear wrote:

Strange, because I really liked his voice on The Sound of Perseverance.

Strange, because Chuck's vocals were too fucking awesome on The Sound of Perseverance.

That's obviously your opinion. I think his best performance emerged (?) at Human/Individual Through Patterns era, where he had a pretty ''clean'' growl, which I personally love.

Yes, he lost his voice, going from a dirty typical guttural growl to a ''cleaner'' tone and slowly gaining a high pitched screamish rasp or something.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:04 am 

i dunno its quite possible he didn't lose his voice, but that *that* voice was his more natural tone. Much like Van Drunen's change from Malleus Maleficarum to Consuming Impulse or Johhny Hedlund from the early works to about the Warrior/Victory era.

oh well we'll never know

Charly546
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 am 

Miland "Mille" Petrozza

He had an awesome voice on Kreator's first 2 albums but he sounds really bad these days. No aggression, no power whatsoever and complete absence of that gruffy tone that. "Flag of Hate" sung by him now is quite pathetic compared to what he used to do.

But Jürgen "Ventor" Reil has pretty much the same tone he used to have. At least "Tormentor" was pretty much on par.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:31 am 

Charly546 wrote:
Miland "Mille" Petrozza

He had an awesome voice on Kreator's first 2 albums but he sounds really bad these days. No aggression, no power whatsoever and complete absence of that gruffy tone that. "Flag of Hate" sung by him now is quite pathetic compared to what he used to do.

But Jürgen "Ventor" Reil has pretty much the same tone he used to have. At least "Tormentor" was pretty much on par.

I agree, his vocals on ''Coma of Souls'' were his best I think. They sounded a bit real, like he ment what he was singing, not quite emotional, but pretty natural.

@ the16th6toothson

Didn't Martin van Drunen used clean vocals on the first Pestilence album? I think he decided to growl on the second one, I mean he's vocals don't sound really similar on those records, so I doubt it that it's natural progression.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:45 am 

colin040 wrote:
Charly546 wrote:
Miland "Mille" Petrozza

I agree, his vocals on ''Coma of Souls'' were his best I think. They sounded a bit real, like he ment what he was singing, not quite emotional, but pretty natural.

Really? Personally I think Hordes of Chaos is his best performance. There aren't a ton of takes, only the "gang shouts" are layered and he's really screaming his head off at points.

I do kind of miss the charm of how strong his accent was in his delivery.

666metal666head666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 am 

Hmm where to begin....

David Vincent - He lost his demonic growl voice after Altars Of Madness and later on sounded like shit. Yes I know that on certain songs off Blessed Are The Sick he used a similar voice to Altars but it's still not AS good.

Dani FIlth - Yes I admit to liking his vocals on Dusk...And Her Embrace and Cruelty And The Beast but he just lost it on Midian. On Nymphetamine his "normal" scream voice was good but the high ones were terrible.

Chuck Schuldiner - He was never that great on vocals. Symbolic had quite good vocals but The Sound Of Perseverance just SUCKED. Chuckie sounded like an old woman on that record.

George Fisher - He did decent old school DM vocals in Monstrosity but he fucking sucks now.

Randy Blythe - Started with terrible scream vocals, improved later on to develop this really aggressive semi-death metal roar on Lamb Of God's Ashes Of The Wake and then he started losing the depth of his voice.

Alexi Laiho - has lost so much of his vocal abilities after CoB's Follow The Reaper

slammysamman wrote:
ONLY FUCKIN BRUTAL GOREGRIND SLAMSHIT GRAVITY BLASTIN PUNCHGRIND BEATDOWN GRINDBONG BEERSLAM SICKPIT BRASS KNUKLE BRUTALITY SHIT IZ FUCKIN GOOD!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 666metal666head666 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaDEFDUDE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:40 am 

WebOfPiss wrote:

Even if that was true, being a fucking drug addict as a whole all the time sure as hell fucks your voice, you goddamn wannabe.

WebOfPiss wrote:

Again, you proof that you just have a big mouth. Sorry, I can't take you serious at all, you little elitist hater.

^ Hardcore dancing in a nutshell

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:25 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
i see where the guy is coming from in the opinion of Shuldiner/The Sound of Perseverance.
i think you're going to fall into one of the three categories:

a) I LOVE it! it's Death, and he does no wrong
b) i don't necessarily "hate" the vocals on The Sound of Perseverance but damn do i wish he sounded more like he did on Symbolic...oh well
c) it sounds like blackmetal drrr i don't have a fucking clue *drrroooool*

ok so c is more like an extension of "i don't like it at all" but i remember when the album hit a lot of people were bitching saying it sounded like black metal haha!!!!

Come on, guys. Chuck's vocals in that album were magnificent. I'm not saying anything he did was great, but TSoP was were his vocals truly blossomed into an even more powerful voice. Have any of you tried hitting the notes he does the Painkiller cover? He nails Halfords all over the song, while doing harsh vocals and playing guitar. Every other song in the album displayed his talent like never before. If that doesn't make you think that TSoP was arguably the greatest Death album (the other contestant beign Symbolic, of course), I can't change that, but know that he delivered an even more technical performance, by complimenting the guitar with a difficult vocal technique.

Also, his vocals in the first albums were kind of weak, he did have a strong rasp, but it sounded out of place. Everything he did after Leprosy was an evolution, with it's pinnacle on TSoP. Then he died. So he had no chance to outperform that.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 pm 

I hear the old woman comparison :lol:, but I think his vocals are quite good on The Sound Of Perseverance.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:17 pm 

I'll agree with that. I never thought his voice was that bad, different obviously, but not bad. Although I must say I prefer the shrieks from the first album. Eviiiiiiiiiil! Dead!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2