Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SuomiFinland666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:37 am 

Which you prefer Studio or Live versions.

I think that Metallica is better at live.
Other else bands are also better at live than on CD.

But now your opinions.

Gallows_Hymn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:05 pm 

It differs from band to band for me, and with the songs, but for me personally, I find Iced Earth's 'Alive in Athens' to be better sounding than any of their studio work.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:28 pm 

It all depends for me. Bands may play songs differently live or capture something that puts chills down my spine when I listen to it. You also may find more recent live albums that are of better quality than the original studio albums because of the difference in technology through the yrs.

Some examples of live songs played differently (off the top of my head)

Annihilator - I Am In Command, live theres a little bass part in the intro with the guitars fading witch I like more.

Pantera - Dom/Hollow, Took the two heaviest parts from 2 of their songs and made 1 song.

Metallica - Creeping Death, when it gets to the 'DIE DIE DIE' part ive heard them all stop except for the bass and drums witch is cool to listen to.

Last edited by RevBau on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jaredsin666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:28 pm 

i used to hate live cd's. but in the last few years, i've gained an appreciation for them. i decided to throw on pantera's 101 proof after it collected dust on my shelf and it changed my mind.

xspider999x
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:36 pm 

I love seeing live shows. But, when it comes to casual iPod listening i usually skip over the live stuff.

DreadDundee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:41 pm 

The only genre I appreciate listening to Live albums is Heavy Metal.

5ealchris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:21 pm 

xspider999x wrote:
I love seeing live shows. But, when it comes to casual iPod listening i usually skip over the live stuff.

Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts also.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:26 pm 

I would much rather pay for my ticket to see the band live rather than buy a live album. For casual listening studio is always better. No compilation/ greatest hits albums, either.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:42 pm 

Studio all the way never been a big fan of live CDs.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:46 pm 

SuomiFinland666 wrote:

I think that Metallica is better at live.
Other else bands are also better at live than on CD.

But now your opinions.

In general, studio.

I used to have a lot of Metallica live recordings though, audio and video both, I would agree about them being good live (well, they WERE, I haven't listened to them in a long time).

Most metal though, I prefer studio recordings. Some heavy metal is okay on live recordings, but definitely not most black metal.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:46 pm 

If I listen to an album at home I prefer studio albums (apart from a few exceptions). Live music are supposed to be LIVE meaning a concert.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:54 pm 

I personally hate live CDs, but I'd pick going to a concert over listening to a studio any day.

ShadowlOflDarkness
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:50 pm 

I honestly prefer studio CDs, but it's always good to know how a band sounds live.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:08 pm 

overall, studio is preferred by me. but songs like Fear of the Dark and Manowar's Warriors of the World United are so much better live, mostly for the crowd participation adding quite a bit to the songs.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:15 pm 

Live is sometimes better, but usually I prefer the studio recordings. Live is better when a) the band used such shitty recording technology in the first place that the sound is just clearer in the live recording or b) the song is improved in the live rendition. For example, pretty much every song on Pearl Jam's "Ten" is better live than on the original album. More energy, better solos, etc.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:33 pm 

Live albums have their place. The 3 disc Iced Earth live album that was mentioned is quite good. I definitely recommend it. Live albums (good live albums) can make a band sound much better. Bands that didn't have access to heavier tones when making the studio album (older bands) sound much more lethal live. Also, live albums usually are "all killer, no filler". Some of them are kinda like greatest hits, but without changes in production. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. I personally like the energy and the atmosphere that live albums usually give off. If a band has a good sound when recording live, live albums can be a great listen. Many people I've talked to seem to absolutely refuse to listen to live albums, though.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 pm 

Not much of a fan of live recordings, being at a gig itself is great, but just listening to one just doesn't have the same effect. There are some exceptions such as Krieg's Kill Yourself or Someone You Love, because it actually has a better sound than their studio recordings, but there are very few like that. Even good live performances don't appeal to me as much as the studio versions.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:05 am 

Some songs just sound better live though. That's of course assuming that the band pull it off well.

Take Symphony of Destruction. Crowd chants "Megadeth, Megadeth, Megadeth" during the riffs between the verses.

Creeping Death. DIE DIE DIE DIE. Jason Newsted pulled this bit off really well. Other than that, I don't like Hetfield's live vocals, they're pretty bad. Also, in one version of Hit The Lights live I have, the original is turned into yet another wahfest, by none other than Kirk-can-you-believe-that-guy-was-in-Exodus-Hammet. Jokes aside, it was bad.

I guess Iron Maiden songs are almost made to be played live. Harris and co. play flawlessly nearly all the time, and songs like run to the hills or the wicker man are great for crowd singalongs, especially the wicker man outro.

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:17 am 

Well in terms of video, I MUCH prefer live footage over music videos. Most of them are just so boring and cliche.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 am 

Depends on the band.

ROBL250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 am 

This will probobally sound weird to some, but I prefer Live albums when im only outside. It sort of feels like the band is "with me" if that makes sense, like im there at a live concert seeing them play. I know it sounds absurd but to me it makes sense.

LoDebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:41 am 

I can't stand most live albums, and I hardly ever go to concerts. Some DVDs are OK though.

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:44 pm 

Live. A true band in a true environment. Anyone can sound "good" in a studio. It doesn't require talent anymore.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:07 pm 

ROBL250 wrote:
This will probobally sound weird to some, but I prefer Live albums when im only outside. It sort of feels like the band is "with me" if that makes sense, like im there at a live concert seeing them play. I know it sounds absurd but to me it makes sense.

Yeah, I can understand that, if I'm listening to something while out in the yard drinking or cooking on the grill or something. Same for playing pool, somehow. Makes good background noise sometimes, live music.

Quote:
Well in terms of video, I MUCH prefer live footage over music videos. Most of them are just so boring and cliche.

Metal music videos are the worst. Most are embarrassing to watch, they are so bad.

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm 

circleofdestruction wrote:
Metal music videos are the worst. Most are embarrassing to watch, they are so bad.

I disagree. Try watching shitty post-hardcore videos. I'd like to see a metal band beat those at sucky videos.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:00 pm 

AlbertMond wrote:

I disagree. Try watching shitty post-hardcore videos. I'd like to see a metal band beat those at sucky videos.

Okay, you got me, I haven't watched any shitty post-hardcore videos, so I don't know any better. ^_^

Some metal videos are pretty bad though...

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm 

AlbertMond wrote:

Okay, you got me, I haven't watched any shitty post-hardcore videos, so I don't know any better. ^_^

Some metal videos are pretty bad though...

Oh, definitely. But, still.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:29 pm 

SuomiFinland666 wrote:

Depends on the band.
I personally prefer Slayer live versions of Hell Awaits songs due to the 'tame' sound of the original album but with other albums is the other way around...

... and a great example: the live version of Helloween's "How Many Tears" on the Live In The UK album totally smashes to original studio version.

But most metal bands I actually prefer on studio albums. Most... not all.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:52 pm 

It depends, Some bands some great on a studio album but a pain to listen to live whereas a band like Mayhem or Slayer are a real; treat to listen to live.

Last.fm

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 pm 

While I tend to like studio, as it usually has a more cohesive and heavier sound, I've been REALLY enjoying Therion's "Live Gothic", as it takes a lot of older songs of theirs and gives them a heavier, crunchier kick-it also has more cohesive renditions of Gothic Kabbalah's material that beat the crap out of the original.

It's also worth it if a band typically puts a lot of new spins/changes in songs that you can pick out when they play them live-like in Kamelot's One Cold Winter's Night.

On the other hand, you have bands like Blind Guardian that, while excellent in studio, can't really do justice to some of their material live (although I had thought that about Therion up until the aforementioned, so you never know.)

death234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:11 pm 

It dependes on the band for example bands like dragon force should never under any sircumstances perform live.

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:19 pm 

It depends... For example I enjoy Emperial Live Ceremony more than the studio albums :)

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:58 pm 

For me I always prefer studio versions. That's not to say I never listen to live albums, but it's not very often.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 pm 

morbert wrote:
SuomiFinland666 wrote:

Depends on the band.
I personally prefer Slayer live versions of Hell Awaits songs due to the 'tame' sound of the original album but with other albums is the other way around...

... and a great example: the live version of Helloween's "How Many Tears" on the Live In The UK album totally smashes to original studio version.

But most metal bands I actually prefer on studio albums. Most... not all.

tame? really? i've always thought the title track and "At Dawn They Sleep" sounded fucking evil on the studio versions. but the only live albums i really ever listen to are Live Kreation and Another Lesson in Violence

Archer666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 pm 

RevBau wrote:
Metallica - Creeping Death, when it gets to the 'DIE DIE DIE' part ive heard them all stop except for the bass and drums witch is cool to listen to.

I totally agree with you, and live is rather exciting, see the huge-crowd~

baalzamon999
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:45 pm 

I find that the live Suffocation album was even more crushingly heavy than the studio versions, especially the drums and vocals. It even makes songs from an album I'm usually negative towards (Souls to Deny) quite enjoyable.

In general, some songs lend themselves to a live environment, while others do not.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 pm 

death234 wrote:
It dependes on the band for example bands like dragon force should never under any sircumstances perform live.
Whats wrong with Dragonforce playing live?

Last.fm

AlbertMond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
death234 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6blTVunsB4

Human_Abstract
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:53 pm 

i kinda prefer marduk live albuns to studio recordings.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:19 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
death234 wrote:

The fact that they can't play their own songs correctly.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next