Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:34 pm 

Vulcano is a band that is much overlooked in discussions about influential early death metal. They are essentially parallel to Possessed. While they weren't as focused as Possessed until around 1986. Their "Live!" debut is almost as extreme as Seven Churches. They also beat Possessed to the punch and released an earlier demo than "Death Metal".

Is it possible that Brazil wouldn't have had such a defined death metal movement, if it were not for Vulcano? Were bands like Sepultura, Holocausto, Mutilator, and Sarcofago influenced by Vulcano? I've read early Mayhem interviews where Euronymous stresses their importance as well.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:37 pm 

Never heard about them (am I living under a rock?) but I guess they were about as important as Necrophagia are compared to Death.

sob
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:59 pm 

I think Vulcano was very important, at least for the Brazilian extreme scene. Sarcofago and Holocausto are both obviously influenced by them.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:13 pm 

Vulcano are criminally overlooked, and so are Imperator (Pol) and Abhorer among many others. All these bands wrote extremely influential stuff and they are barely mentioned in discussions about the roots of Death and Black Metal.

EDIT: Concerning the Brazilian scene question... I think it would be safe to say that Vulcano was probably the first Extreme Metal band in Brazil and all South America for that matter. You can't be exactly sure as to who they influenced back then, you'll have to ask someone who's been there, like Wagner.

Last edited by kingnuuuur on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm 

No idea how important they are, but I got their comeback record and I think it's great. I should track down the rest of hteir stuff sometime.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

wight_ghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:32 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
They also beat Possessed to the punch and released an earlier demo than "Death Metal".

The same year, anyway. Om Pushne Namah isn't anything close to death metal if this is what you're referring to.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:42 am 

wight_ghoul wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
They also beat Possessed to the punch and released an earlier demo than "Death Metal".

The same year, anyway. Om Pushne Namah isn't anything close to death metal if this is what you're referring to.

Indeed, it's a heavy metal demo. Their second demo (?) was extreme metal, while was released in 1984 I think.

Vulcano is an underrated and influential band. Their first full length album is still their best album I think. Thrashy death metal, but much more chaotical and undeveloped than Possessed.

Their newest album didn't release impress me, it lacks aggression and is too repetetive, but whatever. Does anyone know what the future plans of Vulcano are? Will they release a new album soon or something?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:52 am 

caspian wrote:
No idea how important they are, but I got their comeback record and I think it's great. I should track down the rest of hteir stuff sometime.

Cheers! So can we expect a review of "Tales from the Black BOok" sometime? Love that album, too .. definitely their best since "Bloody Vengeance" and I can't stress enough how cool that is.

I couldn't say how important Vulcano really is to other bands, musical development and so on, but they're one of my favourite metal bands because of the energy and zeal they put into their music. Sure, the 1990 album sucked, but even "Who are the True" is pretty awesome drunken fun for me.

Hail Brazilian noise!

Edit; "Tales..." lacks aggression? I feel like I"m listening to a different record, then, since that album makes me insane! Maybe not as much as "Bloody Vengeance" does, but ther'es more variety on it and Angel's new vocal style just spits fire and brimstone!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:10 am 

Has anyone heard the Nifelheim/Vulcano split? Listening to it at the moment, sounds like a mess, but in a good way. Bit heavier than ''Tales From the Black Book.''

edit: Yeah, I think '"Tales...'' is quite boring to be honest, Angel's vocals sound fine, but the riffage and solo's sound totally boring in my opinion. I should edit my review for a better view of my opinion.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:10 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
caspian wrote:

Cheers! So can we expect a review of "Tales from the Black BOok" sometime? Love that album, too .. definitely their best since "Bloody Vengeance" and I can't stress enough how cool that is.

I couldn't say how important Vulcano really is to other bands, musical development and so on, but they're one of my favourite metal bands because of the energy and zeal they put into their music. Sure, the 1990 album sucked, but even "Who are the True" is pretty awesome drunken fun for me.

Hail Brazilian noise!

Edit; "Tales..." lacks aggression? I feel like I"m listening to a different record, then, since that album makes me insane! Maybe not as much as "Bloody Vengeance" does, but ther'es more variety on it and Angel's new vocal style just spits fire and brimstone!

I might even do a review tomorrow. I couldn't believe what people thought of it. I think it's definitely very aggressive and just really solid all round.

Feel free to shit on my effort by doing a review too :)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

bedde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:46 am 

AMAZING Band,they have the special 80's brazilian/south american sound which i like a lot. Personally i dont think for example Sarcofago or Holocausto would sound like Sarcofago och Holocausto without the influence of Vulcano.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:22 pm 

Im checking them out right now for the first time. Ive never heard of them. This is awesome, awesome stuff. Im really loving this sound. They are now on my list of c-ds to waist money on.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:24 pm 

RevBau wrote:
Im checking them out right now for the first time. Ive never heard of them. This is awesome, awesome stuff. Im really loving this sound. They are now on my list of c-ds to waist money on.

What album are you listening to? ''Bloody Vengeance'' I hope. It's often regarded as Vulcano's best.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:26 pm 

colin040 wrote:
RevBau wrote:

What album are you listening to? ''Bloody Vengeance'' I hope. It's often regarded as Vulcano's best.

I was just on their myspace. The songs they have listed are-
The Evil Always Return
Suffered Souls
Total Destruicao
The Bells Of Death

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:57 pm 

RevBau wrote:
colin040 wrote:
RevBau wrote:

The Evil Always Return
Suffered Souls
Total Destruicao
The Bells Of Death

Try their first full length out ''Bloody Vengenace'. Cool thrashy death metal, somehow reminds me of Possessed but more chaotical and undeveloped.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:38 pm 

colin040 wrote:
RevBau wrote:
colin040 wrote:
RevBau wrote:

The Evil Always Return
Suffered Souls
Total Destruicao
The Bells Of Death

Try their first full length out ''Bloody Vengenace'. Cool thrashy death metal, somehow reminds me of Possessed but more chaotical and undeveloped.

You said it twice in this thread, so let me correct you.

"Chaotical" isn't a word. It's "chaotic." :)

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:15 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
colin040 wrote:
RevBau wrote:
colin040 wrote:
RevBau wrote:

The Evil Always Return
Suffered Souls
Total Destruicao
The Bells Of Death

You said it twice in this thread, so let me correct you.

"Chaotical" isn't a word. It's "chaotic." :)

:lol: I'm sorry :p

Count_Grimith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:28 pm 

Never really enjoyed listening to them, i deem Possessed as more influential in the early 80's

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:43 pm 

On a worldwide scale, I wouldn't say they were influencial. In Brazil, however, they were way more than likely more popular and well received. One of your best bets would be to go back and find some early/mid '80s Brazilian/South American zines and see how much recognition they get. Something like Rock Brigade comes to mind.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:00 pm 

I've been 'into' the thrash scene since somewhere '88 but I wasn't until the internet that I even heard from those guys. Also never read any refference to them back in the days in interviews with bands that had been around some time.

So, important?? I'd say not at all. If they hadn't existed the scene and genres would have evolved just the same.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:02 pm 

I'm sure Vulcano were influential for the whole South America extreme metal scene, but that's it. Vulcano remains underground and probably always will. I'm sure not many extreme metal bands, even back in the day, heard of them.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:06 pm 

Think of how influential bands like Sepultura and Sarcofago were, though. Vulcano influenced them, they influenced second wave black metal and early 90's death metal. So Vulcano were the most influential band indirectly of the 80's!!!!! (okay, maybe not.)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.