Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheRealJbMcfee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:38 pm 

I just lost 55 gigabytes of my metal music because I was stupid and tried to free up space and accidentally highlight too much. Wow do I feel like an idiot.

I made a list of the bands I lost:

Accept
Alestorm
Amon Armath
Annihilator
Anthrax
Apocalyptica
Arch Enemy
Atreyu
Bathory
Beatallica
Black Label Society
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Borknagar
Burzum
Cannibal Corpse
Cathedral
Celtic Frost
Children of Bodom
Cruachan
Darkthrone
Death
Deicide
Dio
Dope
DragonForce
Earth
Eidolon
Einherjer
Emperor
Engine
Enslaved
Exciter
Exodus
Fates Warning
Fear Factory
Gamma Ray
Gorgorath
HammerFall
Helloween
Iced Earth
Immortal
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Kalmah
Killswitch Engage
Lacuna Coil
Lamb of God
Limbonic Art
Macabre
Manowar
Mayhem
Megadeth
Memento Mori
Metallica
Moonsorrow
Morbid Angel
Nightwish
Ozzy Osbourne
Possessed
Primordial
Rammstein
Rhapsody
Running Wild
Satyricon
Sepultura
Slayer
Sonata Arctica
Soulfly
Sunn O)))
The Sword
Therion
Trivium
Ulver
Unleashed
Verbal Deception
Windir
Wizard

So my advice to you, always backup your metal, and always think before you delete.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 pm 

Or you could just buy the fucking cds.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 pm 

My iTunes always suggest that I backup my stuff but I just don't have the time or all the CD-R's to do so.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:40 pm 

Misainzig wrote:

Because we all have the money to buy every CD we want. There's nothing more important or essential to us at any point in time, so we all have the money to indulge ourselves in the simple pleasures of great metal albums.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:41 pm 

But part of the joy of collecting cds is getting a few at a time, enjoying them for a decent length of time, and repeating the process. You don't have to spend your whole life savings.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
But part of the joy of collecting cds is getting a few at a time, enjoying them for a decent length of time, and repeating the process. You don't have to spend your whole life savings.

It's not always possible. If I never downloaded, I wouldn't know 3/4ths of the stuff I know now, and I certainly wouldn't appreciate music as much. I'm pretty hesitant to spend any money at all right now, as I'm going to college this fall and will need all I can get - without a job right now, mind you.

I'm just saying, don't patronize people for not buying CDs. Not everyone is one of those douchebags who goes, "hey, why buy stuff when you can get it for free?"

And yeah, I would imagine losing your music sucks. Luckily it has not happened to me.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:47 pm 

I download most of my music off of blogspot, torrent, whatever, but I end up buying the CDs I like, even if I will probably never catch up at the rate I download albums xD

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 pm 

Loosing your music is always a bitch.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm 

Misainzig wrote:

That's why I still buy CDs. Plus there is a more physical and personal element to them. It's much more exciting to get something with album artwork and a physical copy of the CD than to click 'download' on iTunes... even if iTunes is cheaper.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 pm 

I keep mine on an external hard drive.

Besides, isn't it in the recycle bin?

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm 

I don't know how you even managed to do that. The mechanics of it are retarded any way you go about it.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 pm 

Misainzig wrote:

Best post. /thread

Sagebear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 pm 

That must suck so hard. It must be one of the greatest pains for a metalhead to lose their collection of music. Luckily, my collection is way beyond pathetic in size (I'm not allowed to download music, but I'd rather not get into it), so losing it wouldn't hurt me too much.

TheRealJbMcfee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:56 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
I don't know how you even managed to do that. The mechanics of it are retarded any way you go about it.

Everyone has a retarded moment every once in a while, you don't have to chastise me for mine.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:56 pm 

The_Kreator wrote:

How much did it cost you to get one of these? If they don't cost too much I'd like to get one as a backup in case anything happens to any of my CDs.

The_Kreator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 pm 

hey wrote:
The_Kreator wrote:

How much did it cost you to get one of these? If they don't cost too much I'd like to get one as a backup in case anything happens to any of my CDs.

My dad gave it to me, but it's a Maxtor one with 200GB on it.

Pretty common generic one.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 pm 

Buy them on sale. I got a Terabyte ExHD for either $50 or $150, forget which, last Boxing Day.

It's awesome :thumbsup:

----------------
Now playing: Marduk - Accuser/Opposer

Last edited by Nyaricus on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 pm 

There is software on how to retrieve data even if it was deleted from recycle bin. The data will still be there if you don't write over that space of the HDD. Here are some keywords to google search: "recover deleted data windows" or whatever word you might think. Secondly, it's easy to back it up on DVDs. If not then share your music with your friends by copying entire hard drives. Or best, don't delete anything from your music folder and/or keep it on an external HDD as some suggested already. 1 TB hard drives are accesible, and you can just buy a cheap device than you can make the HDD into an external one.

TheRealJbMcfee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm 

gigel2006 wrote:
There is software on how to retrieve data even if it was deleted from recycle bin. The data will still be there if you don't write over that space of the HDD. Here are some keywords to google search: "recover deleted data windows" or whatever word you might think. Secondly, it's easy to back it up on DVDs. If not then share your music with your friends by copying entire hard drives. Or best, don't delete anything from your music folder and/or keep it on an external HDD as some suggested already. 1 TB hard drives are accesible, and you can just buy a cheap device than you can make the HDD into an external one.

I think I might just buy a 500 gig external HDD, I'm looking at some at Futureshop and they are pretty affordable.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:09 pm 

hey wrote:
The_Kreator wrote:

You can find an external 500 GB hard drive on eBay for less than 150$ USD (the one I saw for 115$ was a WD drive, my favorite brand). Dunno if you need that much room but if you do, it's pretty affordable. I bought an internal 1 TB hard drive for less than 100$ last year.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 pm 

TheRealJbMcfee wrote:
Noktorn wrote:

Everyone has a retarded moment every once in a while, you don't have to chastise me for mine.

So you have a retarded moment, decide to make a thread talking about having a retarded moment, and then dislike it when someone calls you a retard.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 pm 

[quote="TheRealJbMcfee"][/quote]
By the way check your Inbox. I think there is a problem with sending PMs because I've had it before. I sent you a message about helping you getting your music back, depending where you live.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:14 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
TheRealJbMcfee wrote:
Noktorn wrote:

So you have a retarded moment, decide to make a thread talking about having a retarded moment, and then dislike it when someone calls you a retard.

It's a triple-retarded moment score! 140 points!

TheRealJbMcfee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
TheRealJbMcfee wrote:
Noktorn wrote:

Pretty much.

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:23 pm 

Well look on the bright side, You lost all your Trivium files.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:27 pm 

As another person said, you could just buy the cds.

I download pretty often myself, but I buy as much as I can afford and can find. It's always much better to have my physical copies since, along with enjoying the fact of owning a physical copy, I have access to extremely high-quality backups of most of my favorite material just in case something like that happens to me.

thrashmaniac111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:43 pm 

Misainzig wrote:

^^^^
This!
A condom is like the government because it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed, and breaks when you most need it.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 pm 

TheRealJbMcfee wrote:
Atreyu
Dope
Killswitch Engage
Trivium

i'm sure you could also free up space by at least getting rid of these artists. :)

Empyreal wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

Because we all have the money to buy every CD we want. There's nothing more important or essential to us at any point in time, so we all have the money to indulge ourselves in the simple pleasures of great metal albums.

true. exactly my argument. i will download whatever i want, because i am not going to deprive myself of music simply because i can't afford it. if i was starving, i would steal food too.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:48 pm 

Format elitists!

You could buy the CDs or save up for other, more important things, such as a car, a home, etc. with which you can use to earn money so you can buy CDs later on.

You can't always expect people (especially younger folks) to have an income at all or especially expendible income to use on CDs just because you do.

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
hey wrote:
The_Kreator wrote:

You can find an external 500 GB hard drive on eBay for less than 150$ USD (the one I saw for 115$ was a WD drive, my favorite brand). Dunno if you need that much room but if you do, it's pretty affordable. I bought an internal 1 TB hard drive for less than 100$ last year.

Now you can easily get a 1 TB external Seagate for around $120. To all those who keep saying buy the CD, the options are not mutually exclusive. I buy CD's and I rip them to mp3 and FLAC (for listening on a SqueezeBox), and I backup to multiple drives. I sure as hell don't want to have to rip 1500 albums again.

Last edited by brightfield on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:58 pm 

bands put alot of effort into producing albums , I don't download, it is part of the fun of collecting getting stuff a little at a time . if you steal music you steal from bands .This is why I always have cherished my vinyl you cant steal vinyl from the internet . dont get me wrong steal all the metallacrap and poser pantera and guns and roses garbage shit you want. (my opinion ) as they probably have enough bread already but you should try and make it a point to ALWAYS support underground bands as most are in it for the love they have of the scene . This is exactly whats wrong with people nowadays and why the scene overtime has gotten flooded with idiots talking about how much shit they have . its kind of like a big dick contest . sort of mentality like I have more bands and know more about the scene than you so I am cooler type of vibe . Not trying to offend anyone but support the true scene in the truest sense of the word and buy their stuff . or at least quit bitching about stupid shit and back up all your stuff on burned cd's then at least you put some effort into your collection instead of being a fucking mp3 whore .
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

LotF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 pm 

Misainzig wrote:

Yeah thats totally feasible for all people of all ages and all incomes, especially in this recession.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 pm 

Never buy from iTunes. They give you 128 kbps bullshit. Low quality. It'd be better to buy the CD yourself, rip it to a lossless format and convert to a lossy v0/v2/ogg. As a rule, I don't get anything under 192 kbps CBR. I torrent simply because sometimes I can't find that CD, or because outrageously overpriced. I'm not going to spend $50 on an album!

oh and Hellhippie, ripping vinyls is now common place. I have Rush's 2112 as a FLAC vinyl rip and it runs at a whopping 2.7k kbps!

hellhippie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 pm 

still you get my point. ^^^
Demons, devils, dark spirits
From church horror tales
The hordes of dead roar...

NotGlib
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:26 pm 

I never really got the "can't afford CDs" argument. Unless you're dirt poor, I don't see how hard it is to buy a CD every week or two. I'm pretty much in the poor house and can afford at least one CD a week easily. Look in the used bins, try eBay, shop around for the cheapest prices online.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:39 pm 

I'd imagine it'd be a real bitch putting back my 250+ cds back on my computer if I ever lost my music (I buy my cds, btw).

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

It's not always possible. If I never downloaded, I wouldn't know 3/4ths of the stuff I know now, and I certainly wouldn't appreciate music as much.

I don't know-- do you really think there's such a simple link between number of artists known and appreciation? Although "appreciation" has multiple meanings so I could be taking you up wrong. I do apologise for the following if it misses your point entirely. I'm posting it regardless in order to add my opinion of the downloading issue.

But I mean, when I first started buying music I had basically fuck all cash. I used to save up for about 6 weeks - 2 months to be able to afford a single CD, and they were all I got for birthdays/Christmas. But I listened the fuck out of them and boy did I love 'em. I didn't care about not being able to get any other non-essentials because this was music that I loved and it was absolutely worth it. In terms of my knowledge and experience of genres, it was a slow creep, but it didn't matter to me. Downloading for me meant a track or two here and there on Napster. I was on dial-up at the time, and slow dial-up at that so you can imagine how painful that was...

Then I got broadband, and discovered metal-archives. The latter has been amazing in terms of broadening my knowledge and horizons, but the first part of it that I found was the old not-legal free download thread (I was searching for this band Thergothon I had become interested in hearing...). And boy was that an explosion. I downloaded a prodigous amount of albums, discovering an amazing number of bands very quickly... and barely appreciated any of it. Stuff was getting a cursory listen or two. I was basically ignoring absolute gems and even deleting works that would later become some of my favourite albums. Hell, I deleted A Deeper Kind of Slumber. Still don't know what I was thinking. The only stuff I really paid attention to was the most catchy or instantly-standout music.

Nowadays I can actually afford to buy a fair few albums. I love physical copies so this is my preferred option, but I do grab quite a few artist-endorsed downloads also-- I've come to believe strongly in the concept of respect for artists, but I can't afford copies of everything I want. I very seldom download otherwise, because I really don't find that I appreciate these albums correctly. Instead I buy CDs and they live in my room until I feel that I've become familiar enough with them to put them in their space on the shelf. I've developed a pretty good sense for what I will and won't like, but I often use samples and songs found on myspace and youtube to protect myself from poor choices. I feel like I'm a lot better off this way. My rate of artist discovery/album acquisition is fairly low, and there are lots of classic and essential releases that I lack, but you know, I'll get to them in my own time and give them the consideration they deserve. I hope that I'll damn well appreciate them, too.

So, do I look down on people downloading? Well, no. That would be rather hypocritical, for one, and the internet is indeed a fantastic means of discovery, for another. I understand. But I don't see it as a replacement for buying music, for me at least. This is a much more healthy way of viewing it, I feel. Years later, I'm still working on buying copies of those classics I downloaded, because music that great should be paid for, in my mind. But I'm in no rush. For now, I'm happy planning my next purchase-- most of the first few Bathory albums, a gaping hole in my collection. I can't really afford to order them for a month or so, but the anticipation will only make them sweeter. And the songs that I found on YouTube let me know how much fun I'll have when I blast them on my stereo.

There, not an attempt at being judgemental, but a description of my personal outlook. I wondered whether it rang true for anybody else, at any or all of my three key stages?

Edit: I need to learn to proof read.

Last edited by ForNaught on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:57 pm 

ForNaught wrote:
There, not an attempt at being judgemental, but a description of my personal outlook. I wondered whether it rang true for anybody else, at any or all of my three key stages?

I think you pretty well summed up the grey area most of us exist in. I do download stuff, mostly for researching purposes. If I find something I'm into and its readily available I purchase it. If it's not readily available I listen to my downloaded copy until someone decides to re-issue that shit. If all my mp3's disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't give a flying fuck, it's just a tool to help decide which albums get priority on my next purchases, and to find/try new stuff. I'm also slowly working my way through, trying to pick up some classics here and there while still supporting the underground bands that might actually see a dollar or two from me buying their output.

Obviously I'm no where near as "hardliner" on this subject as the old school guys like hellhippie and 16th6th, but it does make my skin crawl slightly when people refer to their mp3's as a "music collection".

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:57 pm 

You know, I download all the time, but mostly because I want to sample. If I like it, I buy it. What exactly makes people think they're entitled to get free music? If you can't afford it, feel free to be a leech, but stop trying to justify yourself about it.

Jackoroth686
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:03 am 

You know Slayer probably wouldn't care but I can tell you for a fact Tom Warrior, Corporate Death and Jeff Becerra would be fair pissed you downloaded their music.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next