Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 am 

Wet Pussy wrote:
spectreofdeath wrote:
"sounds like a bunch of angry peons" - my mother after I played some Benumb.

:lol:

I was making my 7 year old sister listen to some Devourment and she said something about the vocalist sounding like a frog (which is actually true.)

My friend played Wormed for his band mates the other day and one of the guitarists said the vocalist sounded like a tree frog.

Fearphobia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:15 pm 

"Does the drummer suffer from Osteoporosis of the arms?" A friend who's into pop music, commenting on Nile fast drumming.
Even when I first heard Death Metal like Suffocation, the drumming was the main focus, and in the foreground for my untrained ears. Therefore, I suppose this is a valid and witty comment to make.

Also whenever I had any metal playing, my dad would just walk in and air guitar wildly, which I thought was pretty amusing, although I'm not sure if he was mocking it or praising it. I remember him saying he liked a Keep of Kalessin song though (clean vocals mind.)

intothesarlaccpit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 pm 

A friend of mine after browsing trough some of my cds : "You like metal, metal of the bad kind, with monsters and stuff". I replied with a smile and a shrug. He is a cool guy though, he seems to like prog but hates the vocals in virtually every band(even the clean ones).

My non metal room-mate walked into the room while I was listening to Hibria and he started singing "OhhhhhOhOhOhhhOhOHHHH!" in tune with the song and I joined him. It seemed pretty funny to me.

This one really angered me. I showed this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ7MUsejOEg to a friend and he started bashing the band, the song, the music, the video, the vocals, well everything. I said, "what happens is you know nothing about metal". Very offended, he replied, "I've been listening to metal my whole life". He likes bands like AFI, HIM, etc.
Normally I would have ignored him, but I am pretty sure the reason he was saying all the stuff he was saying is because the guys in that band are friends of mine.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:48 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
She's a police officer, by the way. :lol:

You should've turned it up. In fact, you should've driven around aimlessly with the volume at some staggering, eye-tearing level 'til she gave you directions. You're in charge, man.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:54 pm 

Okay, I ocassionally wear metal shirts to class. So one day I decided to wear my Death shirt out of no reason. One of my seniors told me "Man, that shirt is scares the shit out of people." Mind you I was wearing TSOP not Scream Bloody Gore! Then another senior called me, "Dek!" (It means little brother or sister, normally used when calling a younger person) Then one of his friends said "It says Death! Not Dek!" I just chuckled. He asked me what t-shirt was I wearing and I told him it was the shirt of a metal band.

Fast forward a few months the same senior approached me. He told me that he listened to metal too. I was surprised tbh. So I asked him what bands he listens to. He replied "Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu and a few more mainstream "metal" bands." So I said, "Nah, I don't listen to those bands." So he asked me back what bands I listen, so I mentioned a few names and he and his friends just went blur. They were some friendly guys but we don't share the same musical tastes. :P I never spoke to him about music anymore and I rarely wear metal shirts nowadays.

Now I greet people in metal shirts. Recently I met a guy wearing a Carcass shirt and I enjoyed talking to him about music until he starts talking about how Slipknot is still his favourite band even throughout the years. I don't really mind it actually.

PestilentHammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:28 pm 

back in high school I called my self the only metal head there...all the other ones listend to that mallcore shit..event he rednecks, When I was listening to Emperor's I am the Blackwizards thi guy asked what I was listenin to I said black metal. "Is that metal that black people play?" I said "Nope." and offered him the headphones....he never talked about metal to me again after that. In this one class I had I was listenin to the wonderous works of Bathory and this prep asked me what I was listenin to "Bathory". The poor bastard said "AFI?" I shook my head and handed him the headphones and cranked up Raise the Dead at full blast, he turned white and run to the other side of the room as I was laughin my ass off. :D

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:39 pm 

Pretty amusing thread here. I think I've read through it all!

I keep showing this girl I know some good traditional and doom-style bands that I think she might dig a little. She's mostly into classic rock and so on... Almost every time I show her something though, she says, "they sound like Spinal Tap!" If it's not "Spinal Tap", she's relating the music to some other mockumentary-type thing like "Rock Star" that she's seen. SHe really is a huge fan of such movies, so that ought not to surprise me, and I think in her own way she's praising my tunes. :lol: Death metal though doesn't seem to fit into her definition of music, and I probably can't bring her round.

Not really a direct, knee-jerk reaction to metal, but this is still pretty amusing. My dad, stepmother and I were sitting around the dinner table one day many years back. My father had put on an album by the composer Philippe Leduc: a massive symphonic/choral work about the Spanish civil war. A fast, energetic piece with a recurring spanish guitar theme and a rousing and rather dark melody sung by a lone woman came on. My stepmother, who knows absolutely nothing about music and could never figure out what a piece was trying to convey emotionally unless she could hear or see the lyrics in front of her, commented, "see, JM? This is nice music! I don't know what she's singing about but it soundss nice!~ Not like your digging up corpses in the cemetery stuff!" My dad replied, "she's singing about rivers of blood flowing through the streets and the injustice of children slaughtered". My stepmother just said, "oh...." and went quite silent.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:40 pm 

Hircine wrote:
"Is this My Bloody Valentine? I like them, whoever it is" My Mum on Alcest
I seriously want a mum who knows and likes My Bloody Valentine and Alcest!

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:04 pm 

"muawghugCOOKIECOOKIEughmuahaaahahahCOOKIECOOKIE!" - my girlfriend on random death metal songs.

"You and that crazy white boy music" - my mother in the past when she heard me playing to her an all metal tribute album to ABBA.

"... what is s/he saying?" - the typical response to any death or black metal music which my friends might say.

"Hey funeral_shadow... [flushes toilet]... isn't that your favorite song? Oh no wait... [flushes toilet again]... that is your favorite track!" - my older brother, who ironically was the one who got me into metal to begin with.

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

differer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:18 pm 

This thread is hilarious! Here are some I remember from my teenage years...

The not very inventive:

"Oh, you guys are listening to something? I thought maybe you're killing a cat in here." My father on Dani Filth's vocals.

"Seriously, that has to hurt." A friend's mother on Chuck Schuldiner's vocals.

One that left me speechless:

"How is anyone supposed to dance to this?" My older brother on Carcass' Symphonies of Sickness.

The more thought-out:

"I like how they have a lot of things going on in the music, but why do they have to do that chugga-chugga thing with the guitars?" My mother on My Dying Bride's The Angel and the Dark River.

"Ok. So let's say there is a point to him vomiting in front of a microphone. Then at least he should work on his phrasing, that constant "yayayayayaaaaaa yayayayayaaaaaa" is really boring." My mother on Dani Filth's vocals. A good point, actually.

SerialRapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:39 pm 

Well one guy said "All you listen to is noise" and I replied with "You listen to alot of music made by big black men with six packs." He couldn't think of a response.

Here's another

Me "Do you like Brutal Death Metal?"
Him "Yup :P, Bring Me The Horizon"
Me "You're a fucking faggot, hang yourself"
Him "No dude, the music is brutal"
Me"Oh yeah! I love this track of theirs! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JblFx1aXpeU!

Countozz wrote:
I do not want 2 a member..

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm 

differer wrote:

"Ok. So let's say there is a point to him vomiting in front of a microphone. Then at least he should work on his phrasing, that constant "yayayayayaaaaaa yayayayayaaaaaa" is really boring." My mother on Dani Filth's vocals. A good point, actually.

I'd have to agree, he really overdid that on Dusk and Her Embrace. Her description almost matches the exact beat of some of the phrases on the title track. :lol:

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:34 pm 

"That metal is making you ANGRY and HUNGRY!!! Don't snap and knock someone off one day o_0 Sometimes I like to listen to metal too, mostly when I am feeling br00tal!" - my friend being stupid after seeing how much metal I had on my computer 2 years ago.

As is turns out he's playing guitar in my black metal band now. Another victory for Satan. Haha.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 pm 

"I don't listen to screamo shit."

-A classmate, after playing some Burzum for him.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:44 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
"That metal is making you ANGRY and HUNGRY!!!(...)

He claimed that metal was making you hungry?

I would like to hear this theory expounded upon. Perhaps metal could be used to give appetite back to cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.

Imagine the possibilities:

Oh, what's that? You don't want to eat your grilled cheese sandwich today Mrs. Danielewski?

*BAM! Mercyful Fate starts playing from speaker's on either side of the bed*

What? You want seconds now? Too bad, your health insurance won't cover it but we'll be back around supper with salisbury steak Dark Tranquillity.

sarcasticsmoothie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 pm 

"I'm concerned for your well-being..." - Dad, after looking at a couple album covers.

"Do you need a psychologist or something? Really, I can find you someone to help you..." - Dad again after he came across my whole collection in iTunes. I don't think he's figured out to play songs yet though, and I don't typically blast my music unless I'm doing my homework or something.

"How can you sing along to this?" - Friend after listening to a bit of Amon Amarth. I did demonstrate my talents at death growls, but alas, my voice is still a little too high. :( Oh well, I reckon my voice can drop a few half steps in a few years.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:02 pm 

Zombie_Quixote wrote:
Alsandair wrote:
"That metal is making you ANGRY and HUNGRY!!!(...)

He claimed that metal was making you hungry?

Any Megadeth listening isn't complete without a bowl of soup.

"Sounds like he's dying" my mom, listening to Warning

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 pm 

"PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO THIS SHIT GO TO PRISON, CULLEN (My name)!!!!"
- My mom, after I got kicked out of my old school for COMPLETELY unjustified reasons.

"Dude... he sounds like the grim reaper! Totally!" - Some faggot two-pump chump I go to school with. Also, from him:
"Hey, Cullen, do you listen to any music with MEANING?"
Moi - "Fuck you."
TPC - "No, not just that the guitars are good, or the drumming is good, but with MEANING. I never said it was garbage!"

All music has meaning! What the hell is his point? Flawed argument, sir.

Uh...

"Ugh... this is weird!" - Some bitch in seventh grade when I played CC's "Kill" for the class.

"DO U LIEK DEATH METAL?????" - Faggot in my school
"Well, yes, as you can see, this band shirt is of the Death Metal band, Nihilist." - Me
"NAH, NOT THIS NEW STUFF, I MEAN CHILDREN OF BODOM AND UNDEROATH!!!" TRUE FUCKING METAL, BRO!!!" - The one who had given me a right to exercise my fist
"Haha, no, Children of Bodom are well over a decade year old, but you'd have to dig into Autopsy or Imprecation to get to my sub-level." - Me

What do you guys do when you hear this shit?

OH, a great one:
"It just sounded like a rabid dog barking and baying!" - Mrs. Thompson, our SS teacher when I played "Slit Your Guts." It was for a talent show thing. It was too long, so I settled on "The Pestilence That Walketh In Darkness," completely with fast windmilling and dog-puke vocals! Shocked the whole High School that day!

dfarrell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:39 pm 

a girl I work with denyed that judas priest was metal and claimed them to be "Pop/Rock".

Ghostofperdition00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:47 pm 

My dad always seems to think lyrical content of my music is satanic. I proceed to explain that it's not all about satan, that it just depends on the particular band. After that he usually strains his voice makes up nonsensical lyrics about everyday things.

I suppose it's kind of funny...

A universal response that I usually get from the more intelligent people with whom I share my music is :

"I like the instruments/I can appreciate the talent of the guitarists, but I don't understand the vocals."

And then the most useless argument I hear on a regular basis is this one:

"You can't understand what they're saying!"

and I usually respond with "Well then why do so many people like italian opera? That's a different language after all isn't it?!"

I always win with that one.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:02 pm 

Psycrypt wrote:
"PEOPLE THAT LISTEN TO THIS SHIT GO TO PRISON, CULLEN (My name)!!!!"
- My mom, after I got kicked out of my old school for COMPLETELY unjustified reasons.

What are you talking about, Mr. Richey, you ARE going to prison for listening to too much Cryptopsy! There will be None More Vile than thee Worm!

One I heard not too long ago..

*Some poser Christian faggot pointing to my Mayhem shirt*
HIM: "Dude, I love black metal! Gorgoroth is the greatest band in the world! What bands do you like?"
ME: "Cool, you like BM too? Some of my favourites are Aaskereie, Burzum, Judas Iscariot, Mutiilation, Leviathan, Nachtmystium, and Wolves in the Throne Room. What about you?"
HIM: "Oh, I like really underground bands, you know, not like Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth." [evidently he had a Thornography shirt on..]
ME: "Really? What bands do you like then?"
HIM: "Oh, like Immortal, Gorgoroth, Nargaroth, Mayhem and Gorgowrath."
ME: "Right... dude, those aren't fucking underground, your fucking stupid."
HIM: "Fuck you, I know more than that! I was seeing what you knew."
ME: "Alright alright. Do you know any of these bands?"
*lists off Vital Remains, Northaunt, Mortiis, Destruction, Unexpect and Cryptopsy*
HIM: Most of those, except Unexpect. Those are all badass black metal bands!!
*shakes head in disgust*
ME: Fucking poseur.. none of those are black metal, and there is no band called Gorgowrath. Go fuck yourself."
*walks away*

The one time I came across somebody who knew what BM was, they didn't know SHIT.
*sigh* oh well.. this town is hopeless anyways.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:04 pm 

I doubt you talk like that in real life.

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:09 pm 

Ghostofperdition00 wrote:
And then the most useless argument I hear on a regular basis is this one:

"You can't understand what they're saying!"

and I usually respond with "Well then why do so many people like italian opera? That's a different language after all isn't it?!"

I always win with that one.

I am stealing your argument and using it for future discussions.

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:10 pm 

Not necessarily to everyone, yes, but to people like that.

The fact he was gonna try out for my band was what really pissed me off though, because before I figured out he listened to some BM, I asked him if he wanted to try out. Thats why I talked to him like that. You can doubt, but unless you know for sure, doubting does no good.

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Maybe 20% of the things described in this thread actually happened.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Zombie_Quixote
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 pm 

Noktorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

And 18% of those have been so distorted as to make them seem more pathetic and/or to make the poster seem super-hip and/or badass that they might as well be invented stories.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:12 am 

Zombie_Quixote wrote:
Noktorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

And 18% of those have been so distorted as to make them seem more pathetic and/or to make the poster seem super-hip and/or badass that they might as well be invented stories.

Yeah, really, can't a thread like this, just for once, be about genuinely odd/funny anticdotes, rather than a pissing contest for over-compensating douchebags?

I've actually had some surprisingly good reactions from my family to Metal. Like my sister ended up really liking Kamelot after I played Across the Highlands for her, and my mom is constantly listening to my Hliðskjálf CD (not metal, but whatever).

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 am 

spectreofdeath wrote:
OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
steady666 wrote:
I've just thought of something that i find worse than people who are ignorant; Metal heads who know TOO much. I dunno if this occurs to anyone else but I seem to know a few metalheads that just continually vomit random facts about bands. Most of the time its just quoting wikipedia word for word... :S
eg; Every time I talk about Nile one of these people would say "Sanders hasn't even been to Egypt".
Mentioning Mayhem would bring up "Euronymous sent bits of Dead's skull bone to those who were worthy didn't he?"
etc,etc

I can't think of more at the moment (although there are plenty of examples)... but its these stupid comments that piss me off more than "SLIPKNOT ARE BROOOTAL".

This is called namedropping, and seems to be spewed forth mostly by people who only discovered metal two years ago or less and suddenly consider themselves veterans of the scene. Odds are, they don't even actually closely listen to very much metal and it's probably all for show (to impress other people with their esoteric knowledge). You have my permission to bitchslap these people.

I take offense at this statement. sure, I do this a lot, probably due to my OCD, but still, I actually have listened to metal over 10 years so this doesn't apply to me.

Wasn't aimed at you at all--it's one thing when someone who has been listening to metal for 10+ years mentions many band names because it's likely that they're very familiar with most of those bands, it's another when someone who has been listening for 1-2 years or less says the exact same words. Frankly, that just isn't enough time to really digest the music.
Also, I get the feeling that constant namedropping (by recent metal converts) is little more than a sad attempt to gain 'cred'.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 am 

cuz u be needin dat cred fo' da streeeeet dawwwwg

I can't say I'm annoyed by it. At least they try to learn instead of going "rawr rawr rawr death metal rawr"

SerialRapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:33 am 

"Turn that stupid deathcore off!"
"MUM! It's not deathcore, it's slamming gore groove"

Countozz wrote:
I do not want 2 a member..

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:35 am 

Zombie_Quixote wrote:
Noktorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I can assure you that mine are very true, which is unfortunate for me having that woman scald me for listening to Martyr while requiring directions.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

lewman123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:10 am 

While I was listening to "Fear and Wonder", which is an orchestral intro by Dimmu Borgir my dad walks in and days "Wow thats very dramatic music". Then I go to the next track and he just says "oh" and walks out.

When I try to show my dad a guitar solo in metal he just says "I see the skill in it, but I don't think it sounds good".

One of my friends about Opeth, "Why don't they just sing normally all the time instead of growling, how can it be the same singer?

Showed my dad a song by DRED, an Australian Technical Death metal band, and he said "The name suits the band, it sounds dreadful, the singer sounds like a dying pig".

Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:

He does indeed. I know him personally, he is a buddy of mine, and he is very honest, blunt, and frank.
He once told his mom he was going to buy "shirts and pot," and, indeed, he did, and he flaunted it at her.

Dismal_Deity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:23 am 

Psycrypt wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

He does indeed. I know him personally, he is a buddy of mine, and he is very honest, blunt, and frank.
He once told his mom he was going to buy "shirts and pot," and, indeed, he did, and he flaunted it at her.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 am 

Noktorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I must be in the minority. But the "poseur Christian faggot" story does seem a little shaky, I almost expected him to pull out a broadsword and smite his enemy mightly.

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:21 am 

Noktorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

It doesn't matter though, it's very easy to tell who's actually telling the truth.

On a seperate note, it's interesting to see how many non-metal music listeners really rely on hearing what the lyrics are saying.
I often talk to my nan about my music (sounds odd but she's always very interested in what I'm involved in). If I ever show her a piece and say "this album is about *concept, say vikings or whatever* she always responds with "but how do you know what they're saying?". They never seem to understand that a piece of MUSIC can be about something without the lyrics being important. I usually explain to her that it's the same as when a classical piece might be about swans or whatever.

Still, it's interesting to see how important knowing what the vocalist is saying is to a lot of people.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Noktorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I can assure you that mine are very true, which is unfortunate for me having that woman scald me for listening to Martyr while requiring directions.

I never doubt any story you tell about being emasculated.

Member #1 of Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh Crew - Fuck off the musical black metal!

Mezentus
Blood on my hands

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:47 am 

Psycrypt wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

hahaha! Yes, that is true. I forgot all about that dear Richey. BTW, if you didn't know, I sent your CD's the other day.

thornsentwine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 pm 

My classmate asked me for a good song..I gave him Emperor's 'I Am The Black Wizard'. It took him days to come out of the shock..

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:25 pm 

Another thing this thread has taught me is that people are fucking weak and pathetic. "WYAAAH! I'm afraid of noisy, compressed sound recorded onto a disc! WYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next