Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DarkthroneOrDie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:46 pm 

Heard rumors about Darkthrone releasing another new album. I mean they just released one, but they record stuff like there is no tomorrow. Not sure what to say. If you know anything, let us know. What you think?

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:47 pm 

Their usual end of year album most likely.

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:02 pm 

I have also heard about it. No surprise, I guess. Another crust-black-jumpdafuck-who knows what... We shoud be awaiting for a new Darkthrone album evey year, until they split up, then we will have Best Of albums every year until the end of the world.

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:34 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
PsyMoN_MDA wrote:
I have also heard about it. Another crust-black-JUMPDAFUCKUP

I can't be the only one who takes issue with that term used to describe newer Darkthrone. That is just wrong!

I forgot to write "imho" :) That was just a metaphor, man :)

But still I don't take my words back.

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 pm 

PsyMoN_MDA wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
PsyMoN_MDA wrote:

I can't be the only one who takes issue with that term used to describe newer Darkthrone. That is just wrong!

Apparently you have not been educated on what "jumpdafuckup," is.

If you were informed on what that term is used to actually describe, then you would not be foolishly applying it to newer Darkthrone. Regardless of whether or not you like them, they do not sound like a "Crust-Black-JUMPDAFUCKUP," band.

How did you manage to conjure up such a conclusion? I do not particularly like any Darkthrone at all, but I cannot say I would ever use that term to describe them, personally. I am of the opinion that many others would agree with me. They have a lot more Punk Rock influence in their music, clearly. I am not hearing this "Jumpdafuckup," label in there.

halokaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:15 pm 

Jump da fuck up? Isn't that a slipknot song?

And I like that Darkthrone comes with new stuff, but i think this has been discussed a million times.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 pm 

halokaust wrote:
Jump da fuck up? Isn't that a slipknot song?

And I like that Darkthrone comes with new stuff, but i think this has been discussed a million times.

It is taken from a Soulfly song that featured Corey Taylor.

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:43 pm 

I think Darkthrone are more 'metal' now than they've ever been. See my review for details ha ha!

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 pm 

If Darkthrone didn't sound so half-assed I might actually be interested again.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:22 pm 

I don't see anything half-assed at all about their last three albums. To me, they're having a post-TH rennaisance. I have neglected to hear Plague Wielder. Any thoughts on it? Recommended? I want to purchase The Frostland Tapes too.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:46 pm 

Plaguewielder is a pile of shit, but go and listen to it. You'll only appreciate the last three more.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:00 pm 

Plaguewielder isn't their best album, certainly, but it's still decent black metal.

As for new Darkthrone I need to listen to more of it. I only have the Too Old Too Cold EP (and Sardonic Wrath but it's not really new).

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
I don't see anything half-assed at all about their last three albums. To me, they're having a post-TH rennaisance. I have neglected to hear Plague Wielder. Any thoughts on it? Recommended? I want to purchase The Frostland Tapes too.

Plaguewielder is somewhat disappointing. I have to say that the very negative reviews on here are really excessively harsh. But it's still not so great, not worth getting unless it's pretty cheap and/or second-hand. Wreak is really outstanding if a little long, and the vocal on Command is great, but bar that it's all pretty generic and forgettable. I mean, it would be okay coming from a lot of bands, but I expect outstanding releases from Darkthrone and this does not reach that standard, you know?

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:10 pm 

There is always the option for me to buy the selected recommended tunes from Plaguewielder on iTunes but I am such a completist for albums. I like to hear the whole thing for favorite bands.

alcholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:07 pm 

Who ever told Fenriz it is okay to play black crust punk bullshit?
I noticed new Venom has that type of sound too.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:10 pm 

alcholocaust wrote:

No one has to tell them what is ok and not ok for bm. So many bands have ripped them off and that gives them enough cred and clout to do whatever they want. Every other bm band now will adjust off of them. it's no coincidence that old school bm is in fashion.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:20 pm 

If there is a delay on a new Darkthrone this year for any reason, it will be because of Nocturno Culto doing Sarke. They'll be at Wacken this year, even. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if a new Darkthrone came out this year anyway.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 pm 

alcholocaust wrote:

Oh yeah, because musicians need approval to play the style of music they want. They should keep playing their old styles even if they become bored and enervated with them. Fuck that.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:50 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
If there is a delay on a new Darkthrone this year for any reason, it will be because of Nocturno Culto doing Sarke. They'll be at Wacken this year, even. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if a new Darkthrone came out this year anyway.

I doubt it. Darkthrone is at the point the two of them write about 4-5 songs, then get together twice a year to record and release the album. It's not that demanding of a band, and hasn't been as far back as 1990-1991.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:57 am 

They only meet 2-3 times a year to produce material? Well, I'm sure they hang out and jam alot in between.

MasticateTheNecro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:57 am 

alcholocaust wrote:
Their response to that would be "Fuck off and die."

I'm liking the new direction. While obviously lots of people are pulling the 'sellout' card and saying they're more commercial now, that's simply their sense of humour, influences outside of black metal (not to the point of demon burger)lack of a non-existent production . Actually since punk rock played a big part in the development of (especially first/early second wave) black metal, there's not much influence 'outside' of black metal. But thats not the point, point is the music's still bitchin and they're still real.

livercage wrote:
..but what did the mind actually mean behind the meaning of pointing out the point...

DiurnoCulto
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 am 

alcholocaust wrote:

With black metal in severe danger of (if not already) being a 166% derivative parody of itself, I can't see how by any stretch of the imagination that refueling the genre with new influences could be seen as a bad thing. Your favorite bands aren't going to disappear just because some asshole decided to mix things up.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:55 am 

alcholocaust wrote:

What?

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:56 am 

alcholocaust wrote:

No band needs you approval to play music. Do you even know about the origins of black metal though? Darkthrone has merely gone back to the 1st wave origins of the genre and started bringing these sounds into their newer material. Hell it sounds tonnes better than their mid era uninspired yet still 'kvlt black metal' music. Darkthrone have not only managed to reinvigorate themselves, but also the whole black metal genre with their new material.

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:07 am 

VictimsOfDeception wrote:
PsyMoN_MDA wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
PsyMoN_MDA wrote:

Apparently you have not been educated on what "jumpdafuckup," is.

If you were informed on what that term is used to actually describe, then you would not be foolishly applying it to newer Darkthrone. Regardless of whether or not you like them, they do not sound like a "Crust-Black-JUMPDAFUCKUP," band.

How did you manage to conjure up such a conclusion? I do not particularly like any Darkthrone at all, but I cannot say I would ever use that term to describe them, personally. I am of the opinion that many others would agree with me. They have a lot more Punk Rock influence in their music, clearly. I am not hearing this "Jumpdafuckup," label in there.

Don't worry, I know what jumpdafuckup means :) Once again, I've mentioned that I've used it metaphorically.

And to explain what does the metaphor refer to: music that is being relased just for the purpose of release.

You might agree with me or not, but this is my opinion.

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

Last edited by PsyMoN_MDA on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 am 

The next Darkthrone album is out in October this year like always i think around the 10th.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 am 

Empyreal wrote:
alcholocaust wrote:

Oh yeah, because musicians need approval to play the style of music they want. They should keep playing their old styles even if they become bored and enervated with them. Fuck that.

Couldn't agree more with that.

That's a common argue I have with a friend of mine, who tries to persuade me that Darkthrone's new stuff is crap. Oh well, it's ok if you don't like it and I respect that opinion. But their music isn't fake, as it is from many other bands, who think that in this way they're going to keep the loyal fans. So, that's a +1 reason to like it. Shit to those who think that listening to the old stuff and not listening the newer one is trve/kvlt/norge.

About the new album, I don't really expect something similar to the last 2. I think (I hope they do too), it's enough with blackpunk; let's have something similar to Panzerfaust (:thumbsup:)

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
They only meet 2-3 times a year to produce material? Well, I'm sure they hang out and jam alot in between.

I cannot quote, but in the dozens of darkthrone interviews out there, Fenriz does explain in a few that he and Nocturno live pretty far away from each other, so with that and scheduling it's hard for the band to get together other than when a few songs are written and an album is recorded.

I'm sure they're in correspondence and do manage to hang out from time to time, but as far as Darkthrone goes, they haven't been a band to get together and practice since the early 90's. They don't have gigs, they only record albums, so it's a lot less demanding.

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:22 pm 

PsyMoN_MDA wrote:
Don't worry, I know what jumpdafuckup means :) Once again, I've mentioned that I've used it metaphorically.

And to explain what does the metaphor refer to: music that is being relased just for the purpose of release.

Metaphor or not, that is the most fucking retarded usage of that term. It doesn't even make sense as a metaphor, tbh. It would've been more productive and made you look far less stupid if you had just said what you eventually did say, not that that is even the case.

PsyMoN_MDA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:09 pm 

WebOfPiss wrote:
PsyMoN_MDA wrote:

Metaphor or not, that is the most fucking retarded usage of that term. It doesn't even make sense as a metaphor, tbh. It would've been more productive and made you look far less stupid if you had just said what you eventually did say, not that that is even the case.

You don't say... :)
Ok, let me make it clear, because some people don't get it. Jumpdafuckup - Hatebreed, for example, is jumpdafuckup, so is Ill Nino. Primitive music, that you cannot meditate on, or enjoy the atmoshpere, or enjoy the riffs/solos/blasts, etc. You can only jumpdafuckup listening to it.
Tastes differ, maybe one can find anything to enjoy on Darkthrone 2008. I didn't. This is why I've used the term.

Abbath wrote:
Have an ice day!

DemonoftheFall1143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:28 pm 

The fact that you jackasses are arguing the use of his term is even more absurd than the use of it.

heavymetalninja
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:00 pm 

alcholocaust wrote:

Errrr, am i the only one thikning, have you heard old venom? The song bursting out springs to mind imparticular buts thats because its my favourite venom song and it is basically a punk song. Anyone who cant hear the punk in venom isnt listening. Crust is a weird thing to label modern darkthrone, i prefer just more punk or mothread/venom style influenced coz crust makes you think of bands like tragedy, from ahses rise, skitsystem, disfear etc (and whilst disfear is pretty fucking motorheady so a bad example) the other bands have more of a kind of apocalyptic atmosphere ish imo

bucfan5252
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 pm 

Yeah I have to agree, I have never understood why anyone labels new Darkthrone as crust. Compare their newer output to bands like Behind Enemy Lines and Martyrdod and you will hear almost no similarities at all.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:24 pm 

Understand that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto are in their late 30s. Can't expect them to be playing shit they were into when they were in their early 20s. I think the last few Darkthrone albums are great. They sort of hit a rough patch beginning with Ravishing Grimness (or even Total Death) and started to pick back up again on Sardonic Wrath. When you listen to newer Darkthrone albums, specifically FOAD, you can tell they were having a fun time with what they were doing, and it makes it for an awesome listen. They are just about pure primitive metal now. Sardonic Wrath and onward have been great, though I haven't heard Dark Thrones and Black Flags yet.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 pm 

I think new Darkthrone is considered crust because there is a noticable Amebix and Axegrinder influence in their sound. Read the liner notes to FOAD. Personally I think their new stuff sounds like old metal punk kind of in the vain of Black Uniforms, Sacrilege, English Dogs mixed with speed metal like Omen and Iron Angel. Interesting note, I heard that Fenriz has never heard Black Uniforms which is really surprising considering how the new stuff sounds.

TheDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:21 pm 

They're really putting them out these days.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:33 pm 

Moravian_black_moon wrote:
Understand that Fenriz and Nocturno Culto are in their late 30s. Can't expect them to be playing shit they were into when they were in their early 20s. I think the last few Darkthrone albums are great. They sort of hit a rough patch beginning with Ravishing Grimness (or even Total Death) and started to pick back up again on Sardonic Wrath. When you listen to newer Darkthrone albums, specifically FOAD, you can tell they were having a fun time with what they were doing, and it makes it for an awesome listen. They are just about pure primitive metal now. Sardonic Wrath and onward have been great, though I haven't heard Dark Thrones and Black Flags yet.

I agree with this mainly, but the age thing is crap. MAB and Malmsteen are over 50 and they rip up the fretboard. I'd say it would have more to do with the fact they most likely don't jam out the old songs, and as a result may have lost a little speed from lack of practice, seems how the new stuff is slower.
Haven't heard the entire DTABF yet but what I have heard has NWOBHM in it, on top of the black punk of FOAD. I like FOAD better, but still need to hear all of Black Flags.
I just want to add that I think Satyricon's effort to copy Darkthrone just hasn't worked. With Darkthrone it's about nostalgia and the love of old black metal, but with Satyricon it's all about CASH.

Moravian_black_moon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 am 

White_Witch wrote:
Moravian_black_moon wrote:

I agree with this mainly, but the age thing is crap. MAB and Malmsteen are over 50 and they rip up the fretboard. I'd say it would have more to do with the fact they most likely don't jam out the old songs, and as a result may have lost a little speed from lack of practice, seems how the new stuff is slower.
Haven't heard the entire DTABF yet but what I have heard has NWOBHM in it, on top of the black punk of FOAD. I like FOAD better, but still need to hear all of Black Flags.
I just want to add that I think Satyricon's effort to copy Darkthrone just hasn't worked. With Darkthrone it's about nostalgia and the love of old black metal, but with Satyricon it's all about CASH.

I was just pointing out that in the black metal scene, very few bands continue to play what they were playing almost two decades ago when they started. Very few black metal bands even make it ten years anyway. Ordo Ab Chao or whatever it's called doesn't sound like De Mysteriis; Now, Diabolical doesn't sound like Dark Medieval Times... Those might be bad examples but you get my point.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:47 am 

^True.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 pm 

Does Darkthrone ever tour or play live anymore? IIRC the closest thing to a live Darkthrone concert recently was Nocturno Culto + Satyricon at Wacken 2004 playing all of 2 Darkthrone songs

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next