Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bedde
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:09 am 

Anyone into this band? I knew this band for a long time and i just listened to some tracks now and then but now im getting into their music a lot. Must say i dont like Visions from the spiral generator / The focusing blur a lot,but still a damn awesome band. Tell me what you think of this band,favourite albums etc.... Discuss!

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 am 

I really like their latest album Solens Rotter. Seems to be a great mix of both their more progressive and folk styles.

I love most stuff Vintersorg does in general, his work with Borknagar is defiantly something you should check out if you haven't already.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:28 am 

I've never been able to get into Vintersorg. Granted, I've only ever heard Till Fjälls, but that was enough for me. I always just found it to be exceedingly boring music and very sub-par next to other bands in the genre. I also found his vocal work on the newer Borknager to be quite grating to. Just seems extremely lifeless and forced to me.

cymruambythwxm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 am 

Im a massive Vintersorg fan, I love all his stuff but prefer the earlier stuff. As for Visions From the Spiral Generator and The Focusing Blur I never use to like them as they were so different from Hedniskhjärtad, Till Fjälls and Ödemarkens Son but I gave them another listen not so long ago and something clicked.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:41 pm 

Probably my favorite folk metal band peroid. Solens Rotten, as previously mentioned, was indeed a great mix of their older folk style and their newer progressive leanings. Definatly one of my favorite albums of that year. My favorite release is probably Cosmic Genesis followed by Odenmarkens Son.

A Dialogue With The Stars :headbang:

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:08 pm 

I only have Visions from the Spiral Generator and I enjoy listening to it every now and then. There are some really cool bass parts on that record.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:42 pm 

Vintersorg is definitely quite original-sounding stuff. Too original for some, I presume!

'Cosmic Genesis' was my first contact with the band, and it remains my favourite Vintersorg album. I didn't like too much of those two more prog releases ('Visions from the Spiral Generator' and 'The Focusing Blur'), but they aren't bad in any cases. Just tougher ones.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:50 pm 

My favourites are Till Fjälls and Solens Rotter for the instantly appealing yet cleverly crafted songs. A big inspiration.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:03 pm 

Lane wrote:
'Cosmic Genesis' was my first contact with the band, and it remains my favourite Vintersorg album.

Exactly the same with me. I can never really pick a favorite release, as it fluctuates between Cosmic Genesis and Till Fjalls. Both have a very hypnotic effect on me. There's absolutely nothing I love more than blasting Naturens Galleri while driving through the snow smoking weed.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:33 pm 

cosmic genesis is in my top favorite album ever, i never heard a guy singing in sucha beautiful way about astronomy concepts.
also odenmarkens son is one hell of an album, eventhough it 's totally sang in swedish you can easily connect with the the music.

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:36 pm 

i've been looking to get more into this band, so i will check out the albums mentioned.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 pm 

I haven't heard a lot of them, just a few songs, but they sound very interesting and I'll have to check them out further.

woeoftyrants
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:54 pm 

I've been drooling over Solens Rotter for months now; such a wonderfully crafted album. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to check out older stuff, I'll probably jump on that soon.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:02 am 

I've been into Vintersorg for a while. The first albums I heard were Till Fjalls and Odenmarken's Son which are my favorite. The Focusing Blur and Visions from the Spiral Generator were good but it took sometime to really get into them. Solens Rotter was great, a very good combination of his old and new styles. I haven't heard Cosmic Genesis yet. I love his vocals, his voice is very unique and can be beautiful at times though it's not for everyone.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:25 am 

It's decent for what it is but I could never get into it, I'd listen to one or two songs on an album and get bored. Maybe I should give them another listen cause I last heard them a couple years ago.

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:41 am 

Cosmic Genesis... period, songs like Astral and Arcane, Cosmic Genesis, The Enigmatic Spirit and Ars Memorativa are great damn songs... highly recomended :thumbsup:

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:12 am 

I love Vintersorg! Not just his own band, but Borknagar, Cronian, etc. He's one of the best vocalists in metal, and his lyrics never cease to amaze me. I prefer the folkier stuff (the early material+ Solens Roetter) but I also enjoy the other stuff, the title track to Cosmic Genesis is one of his best ever!

Mysprima
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:02 pm 

I'm also a big Andreas Hedlund fan, not only Vintersorg, but Fission, Borknagar, Waterclime etc. He's such a great musician that can write so different kind of music. (Even Waterclime which is more of a jazz-rock project).

As for you non-swedish fans, who keep writing "Solens Rotten", it has nothing to do with the word "Rotten" :) It simply means "the roots of the sun" or in swedish grammatics, "The suns roots".

As for favourite Vintersorg albums, i'd say "Till Fjälls" and "Cosmic Genesis", although i love them all, and "Solens Rötter" can't do any Vintersorg-fan dissapointed.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:53 pm 

Does anyone have any information regarding a new Vintersorg album? I'm dying for one.

sumorabbit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:31 am 

I really enjoyed their older subject matter, but when they went "spacey" I just couldn't like it as much. The music is great, but for me, the subject matter gives music its niche, and I just couldn't/can't really get into their newer stuff.

Someday, as someone mentioned above, it may click, but until then, I'll keep it in my playlists and it will come up during "shuffle" and I will listen to it. I hope it clicks someday because the music is good, and the musicians are certainly characters.

-Sun Tzu

ShoresOfLakeHuron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:54 pm 

First EP and full length were great. Otyg was better.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.