Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lornem16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:44 pm 

So, an amazing deal just popped up in my area....
This guy is selling an Ibanez UV777 Jem (Steve Vai Signature) and I'm realllllly fucking tempted to go out and buy it.

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-UV777-El ... 6.Music123

The guitar comes with DiMarzio Blaze pickups.... the only real info I've been able to find out about them is that Korn and Limp Bizkit used these pickups, hahahha.... I'm assuming they should do the job (I own a MESA Roadster, so I've got enough gain on tap).... but I'm just curious if anyone on here has had any experience with them? I'm used to active EMGs, so obviously I'm gonna have to tweak my tone a bit if I do get the guitar... but I'm really thinking it'll be worth it.

The MSRP on the guitar is $2800.... guy selling it wants like half.... hsc incl'd.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 pm 

1400$ is a pretty good deal for a UV777, but bear in mind that this guitar retails (or did) at around 1800$ or so. The Blaze pickups were the standard Dimarzio 7 string pickup for some time, which is why you'll find them on all Universes and some older 7 string RGs, too (my RG7620 has Blaze pickups). I love them, personally; I'm not very good at describing tones but they have plenty of gain (not as much as EMGs, I suppose) and don't get muddy when you venture into low-B string territory. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

lornem16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:17 pm 

Thanks for the info, dude!
Yeah, I'm pretty confident that they'll be able to do what I want them to :metal:

Keep in mind I'm in Canada too, btw. Hahaha, the music123 link I posted has this guitar for sale @ $2100, which I'm assuming is in USD.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm 

lornem16 wrote:
Thanks for the info, dude!
Yeah, I'm pretty confident that they'll be able to do what I want them to :metal:

Keep in mind I'm in Canada too, btw. Hahaha, the music123 link I posted has this guitar for sale @ $2100, which I'm assuming is in USD.

Ah, I see, I didn't realise you were in Canada. Man, Ibanez prices sure have gone up this year; I was thinking about ordering a Universe in 2007 and was quoted about 1899$ or so! I opted for an RG2550 instead as I couldn't justify the cost.

I would definitely go for it, the Universe is about the nicest 7 string you can buy (in my opinion), I doubt you'll be disappointed. Have you been to the Dimarzio webpage, by the way? There is a spec sheet for the Blaze pickups that can probably tell you alot more than I can. :D

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:51 pm 

The Blazes sound pretty good, but they aren't "tight" enough for modern metal tones. They do excellently with progressive, jazz, blues, shred, etc.

If its a good deal on the guitar, buy it, and swap out the pickups. If you buy used, you can resell the pickups in the guitar and break even.

lornem16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm 

mattp wrote:
The Blazes sound pretty good, but they aren't "tight" enough for modern metal tones. They do excellently with progressive, jazz, blues, shred, etc.

If its a good deal on the guitar, buy it, and swap out the pickups. If you buy used, you can resell the pickups in the guitar and break even.

I suppose you're right... but for some reason I have a feeling that I might be able to make these pickups do what I want them to. I totally understand what you mean when you say they aren't "tight" because the pickups aren't really focused on mid-range (as most modern metal tones are).... I'm basically going to rely on my amp to pull me out of this one.... if she fails, well damn, I guess I'll have to get some more EMGs.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:23 pm 

I would look at the D-Sonic 7 or the X2N 7 before routing out for EMGs.

lornem16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:51 pm 

mattp wrote:

yeah, but I'm gonna try the Blaze first :P

but seriously, I've got EMGs in my other 2 guitars.... so it's the tone I'm used to working with... tried tested and true... I'll more than likely notice a loss in "bite" from just making the crossover from active to passive, but again, I have faith that my amplifier can help make up for what the pickups may be lacking. I only have my gain @ 4 these days, so it may justify turning it up just a wee bit.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:47 pm 

I used to be a huge fan of EMGs, the 89s with 18V mod specifically. They sounded great. But the right passive just sounds better... Plus you never have to worry about a battery.

The EMG 7 string pickups use a bass housing instead of the standard humbucker housing used by DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, and most other brands of pickup makers. So if you go EMG, you're not going back very easily, since you have to route out additional wood on the guitar.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:24 pm 

lornem16 wrote:
mattp wrote:

yeah, but I'm gonna try the Blaze first :P

but seriously, I've got EMGs in my other 2 guitars.... so it's the tone I'm used to working with... tried tested and true... I'll more than likely notice a loss in "bite" from just making the crossover from active to passive, but again, I have faith that my amplifier can help make up for what the pickups may be lacking. I only have my gain @ 4 these days, so it may justify turning it up just a wee bit.

You aren't going to get the same tone out of a different guitar, just because you have the same pickups in it. Things do not work that way.

lornem16
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:43 pm 

yeah, matt, again I have to agree with you.... plus the XN2 7 is cheaper than the EMG 81 7....

the Jem is made of basswood... how do you figure an XN2 would sound in one of those bodies?

blackpage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:46 pm 

lornem16 wrote:
yeah, matt, again I have to agree with you.... plus the XN2 7 is cheaper than the EMG 81 7....

the Jem is made of basswood... how do you figure an XN2 would sound in one of those bodies?
X2N sounds badass in my basswood 77V, but its a six string.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.