Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:03 pm 

Who here misses the solos that Dimmu Borgir used to play? Does anyone know why Silenoz no longer plays solos in the newer material?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:07 pm 

I enjoyed most of the solos in the Enthrone Darkness Triumphant days. I believe Astennu was responsible for a lot of them, he was pretty good. In Death's Embrace comes to mind.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I enjoyed most of the solos in the Enthrone Darkness Triumphant days. I believe Astennu was responsible for a lot of them, he was pretty good. In Death's Embrace comes to mind.

Astennu joined after EDT. He was only on GSG and SBD. Silenoz played all of them on EDT.

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:12 pm 

I haven't really listened to Dimmu, past EDT, and even then I thought the solo's were pretty average really.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:17 pm 

Good solos are pretty much illegal when your band gets as big as Dimmu Borgir. If you don't believe me, ask Metallica.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:19 pm 

Astennu was actually a really good guitarist who played some cool solos, he was wasting his time with those chumps.

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:41 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:
Astennu was actually a really good guitarist who played some cool solos, he was wasting his time with those chumps.

Yeah, he was pretty good, but apparently he was also a total asshole, which is why they got rid of him.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:43 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Good solos are pretty much illegal when your band gets as big as Dimmu Borgir. If you don't believe me, ask Metallica.

:lol:
Also we all know Silenzo can pull them off, It would be nice if they brought back the heavy symphonic parts and solos.

Last.fm

FROM_THE_ABYSS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:41 pm 

check out astennu's band before he joined dimmu. lord kaos. then listen to the dimmu albums he was on. dimmu held him back. and yes having met him personally he is a wanker, even his mates say so.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

:lol:
Also we all know Silenzo can pull them off, It would be nice if they brought back the heavy symphonic parts and solos.

On their debut album the last track, "Den Gjemte Sannhets Hersker," has one of the most beautiful, melancholic, dark, passing-of-time-and-history solos I've ever heard. It's serenity blows me away every time I hear it. If he could write shit like that for even one Dimmu Borgir track on a new album, I might just get back into them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:11 pm 

we should create a "who misses what" about bands thread. i know there are many more besides Dimmu Borgir that people used to like a lot more until they began producing average music.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:31 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
we should create a "who misses what" about bands thread. i know there are many more besides Dimmu Borgir that people used to like a lot more until they began producing average music.

Like Emperor.

Last.fm

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:46 am 

Technically there is a solo on The Sacriligious Scorn off In Sorte Diaboli, towards the end. It's not quite as typical of the rest of their solos I think, but it's still there!

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:17 am 

The solos off of EDT were great, but that's not what I loved most about that album. It's hard to put my finger on it, but for some reason I love that album and just find everything they did after it quite boring. I don't hate their newer albums, I just don't find them very worthwhile. Most of the songs sound the same. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is an excellent album though, and yes, it would be cool if they added some more solos in, but I don't think it would save the music.

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:46 am 

Silenoz used to be rhythm guitarist, he has never played solos.Galder and Astennu were special hired musicians to enrich DB music with their guitar styles and skills. All solos on Enthrone darkness... were played by Shagrath.

serch777
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:42 am 

Axalcathu wrote:
Silenoz used to be rhythm guitarist, he has never played solos.Galder and Astennu were special hired musicians to enrich DB music with their guitar styles and skills. All solos on Enthrone darkness... were played by Shagrath.

This.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:50 am 

I read the title and then saw the post and was sorley dissapointed. :(
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:01 am 

I love the solo in Master of Disharmony. It's my favorite Dimmu Borgir solo. I listened to the Devil's Path EP this morning. I love that EP. Good stuff.

plhrsrcdns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 am 

While on the subject, who misses Brynjard Tristan's bass lines?
The well-placed, counterpoint melodies he added are a big reason why "Stormblast" is such a great album, I think.

evil528e
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:31 am 

Wrath_Of_War wrote:
I love the solo in Master of Disharmony. It's my favorite Dimmu Borgir solo. I listened to the Devil's Path EP this morning. I love that EP. Good stuff.

I agree with you on both counts. Great song and great EP! I have it as well... and am very impressed with it!
http://www.facebook.com/stikrz <----because it's free!

Axalcathu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 am 

What I'm really missing of that's thundering sound of drums on songs Revelation of Doom (GORGOROTH) and In The Darkest Circles Of Time (AETERNUS). This sounds made those songs legendary!

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:24 pm 

plhrsrcdns wrote:
The well-placed, counterpoint melodies he added are a big reason why "Stormblast" is such a great album, I think.
Indeed. I couldn't agree more. I was listening to Stormblast last night, for the first time in ages. I love his bass lines, especially the bass lead at the end of Dodsferd, and the lead in the beginning of Antikrist. I'm not sure how good Brynjard Tristan was, but he sure was creative...assuming he was the one who wrote his own bass parts.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:26 pm 

Aeonblade wrote:

Indeed, listen to his Carpe Tenebrum sophomore effort, a very good CD with outstanding guitar work.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:49 pm 

plhrsrcdns wrote:

I do. They were great on the debut as well.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:57 pm 

I think they've evolved in a way that solos aren't completely necessary, but yeah, the solos were good. I've consistently liked them even through their new release.

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:37 am 

diabolikon wrote:
I think they've evolved in a way that solos aren't completely necessary, but yeah, the solos were good. I've consistently liked them even through their new release.

Yeah, but we only get one song with a lead on their new album. The symphony compensated on PEM and DCA, but there was no excuse for Galder not playing any solos given that Silenoz used to play them and then Astennu did. Galder is being seriously underutilized by the band and Silenoz is the Lars of guitars. (As in when he played them, they were really slow and while they contained a lot of emotion, they weren't technical in the least.)

WonderPat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:28 am 

I believe that the shining moment in Dimmu's career has got to be the song "The Insight and the Catharsis" from the heavily underrated album "Spiritual Black Dimensions."

Astennu just owns throughout that whole album and his solos in that particular song are absolutely mind-blowing. ICS Vortex also gets his chance to shine with some of the most amazing clean vocals he's ever done.

Since then, Dimmu struck gold again with "Kings of the Carnival Creation" off of "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia." Hearing Galder play that gorgeous solo after ICS Vortex wows everyone with his incredible clean vocal part, heck, it almost makes Galder seem cool for a second! *gasp*

Anyways, I liked almost everything Dimmu had done up until and including "Death Cult Armageddon." "For All Tid" and the original "Stormblast" were masterpieces of atmospheric black metal; some of the most incredible atmosphere ever created in black metal if you ask me.

"Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" commercialized their sound a bit, but the song-writing was still good and there was still a dark atmosphere permeating throughout the disc. "Godless Savage Garden" was pretty decent, the first song alone making it a worthwhile listen. "Spiritual Black Dimensions" is the band's best, in my opinion, as everything that made Dimmu great just reached it's creative peak.

Then, "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia" came out with the orchestra backing Dimmu and they sounded very powerful. Plus, Nick Barker absolutely destroys his kit on that album; I actually LIKE the fact that the drums were upfront in the mix, I thought it kicked ass. But "Puritania," though not a bad song, was a foreshadowing of the band's eventual dumbing down of their sound for more mainstream appeal. After that, "Death Cult Armageddon" came out and half of it was really awesome. I loved "Progenies" and "Vyrdesbyrd" and "Eradication Instincts Defined," those songs were just totally fucking awesome. There were a few other good tracks on there, as well. Unfortunately, about half of the disc left me unimpressed and seemed like filler. However, the other half was good enough that I still thought it was a damn good album.

And then, the "Stormblast" reissue. It wasn't a complete atrocity. It had some OOMMPH in it's sound but unfortunately, this in turn, killed what made the original so great - THE ATMOSPHERE. So, though not horrible, I saw the reissue as unnecessary. Oh yeah, and as for the two new songs, they weren't anything special; though, I guess "Sorgens Kammer Del II" had that catchy psuedo-evil sound to it that was all over their next album, "In Sorte Diaboli." Hellhammer had a few standout moments on drums and ICS Vortex's clean vocals in the first song were really cool; plus, the 4th song had a great headbanging opening but seriously, this album was a big-time disappointment.

I just hope there aren't any breakdowns on the next disc...

planiol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:11 pm 

Who misses Silenoz on vocals? In my opinion, it has been all downhill since Galder took over.

Also, there was something special and different about the way the keyboard sounded on their first two albums. I think that is a big part of why For all Tid and Stormblast were so "atmospheric."

SeanSchrage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:15 pm 

i just started listening to them so i don't really know to much yet. but from what i hear its awesomeness. :)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:56 pm 

planiol wrote:
Who misses Silenoz on vocals? In my opinion, it has been all downhill since Galder took over.

Also, there was something special and different about the way the keyboard sounded on their first two albums. I think that is a big part of why For all Tid and Stormblast were so "atmospheric."

Galder didn't necessarily "Take over". Silenoz's vocals were good, but a bit ridiculous on "For All Tid". I think Galder has proven his worth in Old Man's Child, it just hasn't all clicked right for him in Dimmu Borgir..
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

planiol
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:15 pm 

I meant to say Shagrath, not Galdar. It's all been downhill for me since Shagrath took over on vocals.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:17 am 

I know I am in the minority, but I actually like Shagrath's nasally snarl...

JunBringer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:54 pm 

I really enjoy Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia and even Death Cult Armageddon. Though I dunno if I would like them much without Vortex's vocals. In fact he needs to do more vocals.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:41 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
I must agree. Also his vocals were so powerful and almost frightening on Enthrone Darkness Triumphant.

Last.fm

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:50 pm 

I sure don't.

JunBringer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:13 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
Lyrici17 wrote:
I must agree. Also his vocals were so powerful and almost frightening on Enthrone Darkness Triumphant.

I enjoy them as well, but I need that contrast between him and Vortex.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:00 pm 

Anyone remember when Dimmu Borgir played black metal? Yep, I remember those days.

CountBlagorath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:17 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:

I enjoy them alot. I actualy practice my vocals along with some Dimmu songs.

Since this a topic about Dimmu Borgir, whisc version of Stormblast do you guys like? Me, I like the re-recorded one because the keys don't over power every song. And Shagrath vocals are top notch.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:31 pm 

CountBlagorath wrote:
Since this a topic about Dimmu Borgir, whisc version of Stormblast do you guys like? Me, I like the re-recorded one because the keys don't over power every song. And Shagrath vocals are top notch.

Depends on the song. "Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen" and "Sorgens Kammer" I prefer greatly on the original (mainly due to atmosphere and the keys). However, power is needed in ones like "Broderskapets Ring" and "Nar Sjelen Hentes Til Helvete," which the orignal's production couldn't cut.

However, others such as "Antikrist" remain the listener's choice. Would you do away with the atmosphere and the symphonic ending or go with clearer production, riffs, and energy? This one I'm stuck on.

Anyone know why they didn't record this Stormblast re-recording as a full band, rather than Silenoz and Shagrath + guests?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Alocer7138r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:02 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
CountBlagorath wrote:

Depends on the song. "Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen" and "Sorgens Kammer" I prefer greatly on the original (mainly due to atmosphere and the keys). However, power is needed in ones like "Broderskapets Ring" and "Nar Sjelen Hentes Til Helvete," which the orignal's production couldn't cut.

However, others such as "Antikrist" remain the listener's choice. Would you do away with the atmosphere and the symphonic ending or go with clearer production, riffs, and energy? This one I'm stuck on.

Anyone know why they didn't record this Stormblast re-recording as a full band, rather than Silenoz and Shagrath + guests?

I don't know but i love the drumming on the re-recorded version, plus i love the song Sorgens Kammer - Del II.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next