Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:35 pm 

this thread has inspired me to listen to CoB. NOW, which album will it be? :scratch:

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:54 pm 

I like most stuff by Bodom although I feel that Something Wild and Are You Dead Yet? had way to much filler. I also hate the production on Hatebreeder; it's unlistenible on MP3.

And what's with all of the hate for Blooddrunk and HCDR?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:28 pm 

TheMancubus wrote:
I like most stuff by Bodom although I feel that Something Wild and Are You Dead Yet? had way to much filler. I also hate the production on Hatebreeder; it's unlistenible on MP3.

Blooddrunk is crappy, shallow and a very poor attempt at cashing in on their old style while trying to keep their newer one. It's just really lame.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
this thread has inspired me to listen to CoB. NOW, which album will it be? :scratch:
Any of their first three to start with. Something Wild is more of a neo-classical approach while Hatebreeder has some power metal here and there and more melodeath that the debut. Follow the Reaper has the melodeath-power metal styles that most the fans know them for.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:48 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:

Hatebreeder ofcourse. Their best album, brilliant record.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:

Start with Follow the Reaper, it seems to me like their most polished album that distinguishes them from the rest.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:27 am 

Empyreal wrote:
TheMancubus wrote:

Blooddrunk is crappy, shallow and a very poor attempt at cashing in on their old style while trying to keep their newer one. It's just really lame.

Without a doubt, i couldn't agree more with this statement. I wouldn't even wanna think about giving it second thoughts... COB has already declined...

MuffinMan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:50 pm 

I agree with Hatebreeder being a good starting point. However, at least in my case, I didn't enjoy as much FTR and SW.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:19 pm 

InfernoxDeath wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
TheMancubus wrote:

Without a doubt, i couldn't agree more with this statement. I wouldn't even wanna think about giving it second thoughts... COB has already declined...

And I didn't even hate AYDY? or Hatecrew. They weren't horrible or anything. This new one is just lazy as all get out.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 pm 

whoops, i guess my previous post was typed incorrectly to make it seem as though i'm not familiar with COB. they were one of the best metal bands i first started listening to, and i still appreciate them for their music that got me further involved with more metal.

what i meant to say is that i have all of their albums, and after reading this thread it made me want to listen to them again, so i was asking which album i should listen to. i chose Hate Crew Deathroll, because there are a couple of tracks on it that i really like, and the opening to Needled 24/7 rules. i think i should have chosen Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper instead, from an overall perspective.

but thank you all anyways for your recommendations, had i not already been familiar with COB then i would have looked into each album recommended.

~Guest 146079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:13 pm 

Any thoughts on the Inearthed demos?

Bryce288
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:35 am 

Not a huge fan, have listened to probably 5 or 6 songs. Don't really have much desire to check out more

Slorafossen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:40 am 

I do like them, but their albums just get worse. Something Wild and Hatebreeder is amazing. Follow the Reaper is pretty good too. HCD was different than the other albums, but it was ok. AYDY? was rather boring, but had some catchy songs. Blooddrunk was better than AYDY?. I'm afraid they'll end up like In Flames (A Sense of Purpose) : (

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:50 am 

DarkLust666 wrote:
Any thoughts on the Inearthed demos?

It intrigued me. I listened to "Shining", which is fairly accessible, and being the last Inearthed demo was the closest to the actual Bodom sound we are familiar with.

The vocals make Alexi's modern barks even more cringe inducing, I really prefer his older style of vocals. Without Janne there wasn't much guitar/keyboard wankery either, as their older keyboardist took a much more atmospheric approach. I love the overall sound present on this demo, and it holds significant historical value as well.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm 

i'm listening to Hatebreeder right now, cause i can. :)

mudbloodkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:22 am 

Follow The Reaper and Hatebreeder are the best.Are You Dead Yet is a great album(at least it's so catchy),except the metalcore sound.Blooddrunk is shit.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:59 am 

The 3 newer ones pretty much suck, but 'Something Wild' is my personal favourite. I think it definitely has no filer material! Not their slickest, but that's the beauty of it.

I saw the band play back in the day, and me with my then girlfriend were the only people watching the band on the "dance floor", hehe. Other people were just getting drunk at their tables...

Mustfield
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:44 pm 

I like CoB but I prefer the old albums. Blooddrunk is not bad but it s not their best album.

kwdfiend
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:07 pm 

i love children of bodom!!! alexi can do whatever he wants for the media and i seriously doubt hes gay, he was married to kim from singery for chrissakes. it doesnt even matter, its about the music and the stuff that bodom puts out is consistently amazing. whatever genre you think they are theyre still metal. something wild, hatebreeder, follow the reaper, hate crew death roll, are you dead yet?, and blooddrunk are all amazing in their own right. ANY person who thinks that a band should sound the same in 2009 as they did in 1997 is dreaming...bands change, and so did alexi. personally i think Bodom is one of the premiere metal bands out there. theyre fucking awesome.

infernooblivian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:36 pm 

Children will be playing in detroit on may 6th with as i lay dying and lamb of god.

Ill be going to see them.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:49 pm 

This band is not my thing at all but Alexi is a great guitar player.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:02 pm 

kwdfiend wrote:
i love children of bodom!!! alexi can do whatever he wants for the media and i seriously doubt hes gay, he was married to kim from singery for chrissakes. it doesnt even matter, its about the music and the stuff that bodom puts out is consistently amazing. whatever genre you think they are theyre still metal. something wild, hatebreeder, follow the reaper, hate crew death roll, are you dead yet?, and blooddrunk are all amazing in their own right. ANY person who thinks that a band should sound the same in 2009 as they did in 1997 is dreaming...bands change, and so did alexi. personally i think Bodom is one of the premiere metal bands out there. theyre fucking awesome.

Bands are allowed to change..Hell a naturally maturity of sound isn't anything to scoff at. But there is no doubt that Bodom chose to alter their sound in light of the almighty dollar.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 pm 

kwdfiend wrote:
and blooddrunk are all amazing in their own right. ANY person who thinks that a band should sound the same in 2009 as they did in 1997 is dreaming...bands change, and so did alexi. personally i think Bodom is one of the premiere metal bands out there. theyre fucking awesome.

You're a moron, because Blooddrunk is a foolish attempt to sound like they did in 1997, which is why it sucks so bad. I mean, I've never bothered to check out interviews, but it's so obvious it isn't funny.

eaters_of_the_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 pm 

I have 3 of their albums that I found in discount bins and all are ok but the lyrics are so bad it really doesn't encourage me to find any of their other work.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 pm 

I just got into recently after seeing them live. Their first two albums rule, but I was first introduced to them w/ their later releases which turned me off for that time span.

Last FM

RevBau
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:55 pm 

eaters_of_the_dead wrote:
I have 3 of their albums that I found in discount bins and all are ok but the lyrics are so bad it really doesn't encourage me to find any of their other work.

I find the lyrics to be absolutely horrid. I dont know how anyone can seriously like Children Of Bodom. Most of my friends listen to them 24/7 and its so annoying. This band just isnt for me.

mudbloodkiller
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:15 am 

There're a hell bunch of people out there loving them seriously,the kids in my country yelling they're the most awesome band on the earth every,as well as Slipknot and Marilyn Manson.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:02 am 

mudbloodkiller wrote:
There're a hell bunch of people out there loving them seriously,the kids in my country yelling they're the most awesome band on the earth every,as well as Slipknot and Marilyn Manson.

Plenty of that in Asia... Seriously.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 am 

mudbloodkiller wrote:

They're very unfairly lumped together with the shit bands like Slipknot and Manson, though. CoB are a few classes above, and everything they've put out is great until Are You Dead Yet. Most people would say HCDR is where they went down, but that album had some decent tracks(Angels Don't Kill, Bodom beach Terror, Triple Corpse Hammerblow), it comes off worse than it is because it followed FTR, which was at least 5x better in every aspect.

grayzone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:28 am 

They're really just an incredibly skilled party band, aren't they?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5