Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SwedishRawPower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 pm 

According to their official website they started the tour last night in Dublin, which songs did they play?
I would like to know this since i'm going to see them in Gothenburg later on...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:36 am 

If it's anything like the set they've been playing so far since Nostradamus, you're in for something special. Dissident Aggressor, Between the Hammer and the Anvil, Devil's Child... they played most of my personal favourites. Still no Jawbreaker or Hard as Iron though. :(
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:04 am 

I was at the gig last night.

I only have a few Priest albums, so my memory is kinda hazy, but I recall:

Nostradamus
Messenger of Death
Breakin' the Law
Painkiller
Between the Hammer and the Anvil
Angel
Electric Eye
Hellbent for Leather
Devil's Child
Eat me Alive
Rock Hard, Ride Free

among others

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 am 

ENKC wrote:
If it's anything like the set they've been playing so far since Nostradamus, you're in for something special. Dissident Aggressor, Between the Hammer and the Anvil, Devil's Child... they played most of my personal favourites. Still no Jawbreaker or Hard as Iron though. :(

I thought that setlist was utterly shit.. Nothing from "Stained Class" or "Sadd Wings"? What the hell is the matter with this band! I never thought I'd say something like this, either, but Rob Halford acting like a diva for five minutes getting the crowd to sing nonsense back to him made me extremely annoyed... the band could have played "Tyrant" during that time, but nope, thee frontman just has to have his moment in the spotlight.

But uh, enjoy the show!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:44 pm 

I would love to see them do some old shit. Some of the stuff they haven't playing in years.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:05 pm 

ACM wrote:
I would love to see them do some old shit. Some of the stuff they haven't playing in years.

Seriously. Do we really need to hear "Breakin' the Law" and "You got another thing Comin" at every show? I don't even mind those songs, but come on! Oh, I know why they play them ... never mind. :ugh:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 pm 

Well, I just bought tickets to see them at Glasgow, £41 but with Priest and Megadeth (Testamostlysuck are just kind of there), and I forgot they were touring Nostradamus so hopefully there isn't much in the way of stuff from that album. I'm expecting a similar set to the one I saw this summer at Download, hopefully a little longer. But if they miss one 'Victim of Changes' and other 70's classics I'll be miffed, although they did a couple of Sin After Sin tracks and that was very nice! Fortunately I do like the 80's stuff too.

Edit: Fuck that 'Angel' ballad they did last time, hows about a big old 'Dreamer/Deceiver' with 'Deceiver' in there too for good measure?

Last edited by Acrobat on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:09 pm 

I'm not a big priestfan but I do love Painkiller. A couple of those and I'll be pleased.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:17 pm 

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Well, I just bought tickets to see them at Glasgow, £41 but with Priest and Megadeth (Testamostlysuck are just kind of there), and I forgot they were touring Nostradamus so hopefully there isn't much in the way of stuff from that album. I'm expecting a similar set to the one I saw this summer at Download, hopefully a little longer. But if they miss one 'Victim of Changes' and other 70's classics I'll be miffed, although they did a couple of Sin After Sin tracks and that was very nice! Fortunately I do like the 80's stuff too.

Edit: Fuck that 'Angel' ballad they did last time, hows about a big old 'Dreamer/Deceiver' with 'Deceiver' in there too for good measure?

Imo "Dreamer/Deceiver" are really one song and I get really miffed when people only talk about one of them. Even Reverend Bizarre only did the faster, heavy half on their covers disc. I doubt Halford could sing that nowadays though .. he basically yelled and gurgled his way through "DIssident Aggressor", which was their little nod to fans of the 70s stuff at the show I saw .. oh, I appreciated it; it's a great song, but it's barely three minutes! oh well.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:33 pm 

It'll be worrying if they do more new stuff than 70's stuff. I've heard 'The Green Manalishi' is back in the set, which is certainly cool. I suppose a reason for less 70's stuff is that Halford can't handle it anymore. Still, I'm sure it'll be a great show.

I need to hear those covers RB did, I heard they did 'Broken Vows' as well, that would be cool to hear them do one of my favourite Pentagram tracks.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:37 pm 

Rob included some rare Priest songs in his Halford set-lits and he promised they would be pulling some rare ones for the Priest shows.
He promised "Last Rose Of Summer" but I don't know if they would play that...
Good to see "Dissident Aggressor" on there though!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 pm 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
Rob included some rare Priest songs in his Halford set-lits and he promised they would be pulling some rare ones for the Priest shows.
He promised "Last Rose Of Summer" but I don't know if they would play that...
Good to see "Dissident Aggressor" on there though!

Hey, I'd much rather hear "Last Rose of Summer" than "Angel". I thought I was the only person alive who adored that song? :lol:...

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:59 pm 

Yeah, it sucks. The other ballad (forgot the name right now) on Sin After Sin is much better.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:18 pm 

trueMunchies wrote:
Yeah, it sucks. The other ballad (forgot the name right now) on Sin After Sin is much better.

Here Come the Tears?

I don't think Rob's voice is the problem with the 70's material. They didn't play a lot of 70's stuff on the Painkiller tour, and Rob had a lot of range then. A lot of Priest fans just know their 80's stuff and want to go see them just for their favorite British Steel tracks and Turbo Lover.

If they don't play more than 1 song from the first 4 albums, I won't even bother.

They should play the setlist from the Rising in the East DVD, that way they please everybody.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:47 pm 

Halford can still pull off Painkiller live?

Last.fm

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 pm 

DeadXManiac wrote:
Halford can still pull off Painkiller live?

When I saw them play it, he wasn't quite as powerful as on the album. Also, I think he only stayed in the falsetto about half the time; the rest of the time he sang it a bit lower. That said, it was still pretty bad-ass.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:52 pm 

Anyone else notice that Rob is way less feminine than he used to be?

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Anyone else notice that Rob is way less feminine than he used to be?

Yeah, you wouldn't even think he was gay just by watching him these days.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

Imo "Dreamer/Deceiver" are really one song and I get really miffed when people only talk about one of them. Even Reverend Bizarre only did the faster, heavy half on their covers disc. I doubt Halford could sing that nowadays though .. he basically yelled and gurgled his way through "DIssident Aggressor", which was their little nod to fans of the 70s stuff at the show I saw .. oh, I appreciated it; it's a great song, but it's barely three minutes! oh well.

I agree...The Ripper is one of my all-time favorite Priest songs and it's less than three minutes. He won't be able to hit those notes like he did on The Ripper and Dissident Aggressor anymore but it's nice to hear those songs over the likes of Angel or even the more commercialized stuff.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:20 pm 

It makes me sick that they don't play Rocka Rolla songs. God knows that Run of the Mill is 100 times better than songs like Living After Midnight and Breaking the Law.

~Guest 183305
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:32 pm 

I would love to hear them do some rare B-Sides from something like British Steel, or Sad Wings Of Destiny.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:44 pm 

screamingstatue wrote:
Rock Hard, Ride Free

Yeah! Now I know I'm going to waste a lot on money to get a ticket anyway, atleast one song I want to hear live!

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:57 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
ACM wrote:

Seriously. Do we really need to hear "Breakin' the Law" and "You got another thing Comin" at every show? I don't even mind those songs, but come on! Oh, I know why they play them ... never mind. :ugh:

Dude, they played Dissident Aggressor for the first time EVER live, and it's over 30 years old, plus the single heaviest song of the seventies apart from Symptom of the Universe.

And given it was likely the only time I'll see them live, it wouldn't have felt right not hearing Breaking the Law. Come on, it's only three minutes of fun.

As I say, I thought their setlist was absolutely killer, although everyone fell asleep during (Messenger of) Death and I was the only one in that place who seemed to recognise all the songs.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

lvivske
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:53 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Rob Halford acting like a diva for five minutes getting the crowd to sing nonsense back to him made me extremely annoyed...

Dude, never been to a show? Rob has been doing that mid-set schtick for YEARS

its fun, get over it

AngelicStorm
High and Mighty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:17 am 

I'll be seeing Priest next week, so i was intersted to see if any changes would be made to the set they did last year. It doesn't appear so. But i didnt see any of those shows, and there are a few surprises that they either hadn't played live in a VERY long time, and even songs they'd never played live. So i wont complain too much if that is the case.

If it's true that "Green Manalishi" is back in the set, then i am really dissappointed. I mean...its a cover song for goodness sake! Im not saying i dont like it, but they certainly have far superior original 70's material they could have chosen to play over that one. "Starbreaker", "Heroes End", "Tyrant", "The Ripper", "Exciter", "Rocka Rolla", "Before The Dawn"....i mean i could go on forever! :P

As for the 2 new songs being played...well, Prophecy is the album opener, so it makes sense that they would play that. But "Death" was played at every show last year along with it, and really, there's lots of other great songs they could play from it instead. "Persecution", "Pestilence And Plague", Lost Love" and of course the title track...one of them should be played instead i think!

Priest are good at varying setlists though. Last time i saw them, they played songs like "Hot Rockin'", "Riding On The Wind", and "Im A Rocker", some real surprises! Then of course, there's the issue of the Ripper albums. Id like to hear Rob give a song or 2 from those albums a go, it'd be fun to hear. But i dont think it'll be happening, not on this tour at least :(

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:55 am 

lvivske wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Rob Halford acting like a diva for five minutes getting the crowd to sing nonsense back to him made me extremely annoyed...

Dude, never been to a show? Rob has been doing that mid-set schtick for YEARS

its fun, get over it

I shouldn't have to get over it when I paid out the ass for the show and had to endure the venue's asshole security and Motorhead's abysmal sound and generally careless treatment by promoters and audience. I think Priest is doing their fans a huge disservice by practically ignoring their 70s catalogue, which, even if you prefer the 80s material, you have to admit is the most groundbreaking and original and important stuff the band ever did, with the possible exception of "Rocka Rolla". So, when the singer does this chanting crap, which I might add a million other performers in the past have done, rather than the band busting out with "Tyrant", "The Ripper" or "Stained Class", I think I have a right to be a bit pissed.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:33 pm 

I'll restate that I'm one of the drones that prefers Painkiller above all else.

But even I was pissed when I saw them. It was a great show, no doubt about that, but the set was right fucked. They played Visions (thankfully the only song off Nostradamus, too bad it wasn't the title track), about half of Defenders of the Faith, three songs from Painkiller, thankfully only Breaking the Law and Metal Gods from British Steel, and about three from Screaming for Vengeance. The only 70s things they played were Beyond the Realms of Death, Hell Bent for Leather, and The Green Manalishi. No Ripper, no Tyrant, no Genocide, no Exciter, no Victim of Changes, no Starbreaker, not even Dissident Aggressor. The lack of 70s input in their live show is really upsetting.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:00 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'll restate that I'm one of the drones that prefers Painkiller above all else.

But even I was pissed when I saw them. It was a great show, no doubt about that, but the set was right fucked. They played Visions (thankfully the only song off Nostradamus, too bad it wasn't the title track), about half of Defenders of the Faith, three songs from Painkiller, thankfully only Breaking the Law and Metal Gods from British Steel, and about three from Screaming for Vengeance. The only 70s things they played were Beyond the Realms of Death, Hell Bent for Leather, and The Green Manalishi. No Ripper, no Tyrant, no Genocide, no Exciter, no Victim of Changes, no Starbreaker, not even Dissident Aggressor. The lack of 70s input in their live show is really upsetting.

I would have been almost content if they'd played "Beyond the Realms of Death", but we didn't get that one. THey did play it in 2005 or so when they came here last, along with "Victim", but I missed that show.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:52 pm 

Judas Priest is one of those rare bands whose live shows are vastly superior to their recorded output. Let's face it, their albums are mediocre on the whole, with some good tracks. And then there's the occasional Turbo or Nostradamus, which are purely awful. But when distilled down into a set list, where they pick the best and most popular songs to play, then it's something.

Nhorf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:57 pm 

GTog wrote:
Judas Priest is one of those rare bands whose live shows are vastly superior to their recorded output. Let's face it, their albums are mediocre on the whole, with some good tracks. And then there's the occasional Turbo or Nostradamus, which are purely awful. But when distilled down into a set list, where they pick the best and most popular songs to play, then it's something.

Are you forgetting Sad Wings of Destiny?

----------------
Now playing: Porcupine Tree - Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:02 pm 

GTog wrote:
Let's face it, their albums are mediocre on the whole, with some good tracks.

Sad Wings of Destiny and Stained Class are some of the most perfect heavy metal albums ever recorded. Sin After Sin is really solid too, as well as Painkiller and, for the most part, Defenders of the Faith.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:53 pm 

_Aargh wrote:
GTog wrote:

Sad Wings of Destiny and Stained Class are some of the most perfect heavy metal albums ever recorded. Sin After Sin is really solid too, as well as Painkiller and, for the most part, Defenders of the Faith.

Not to mention Screaming For Vengeance, which has only like two tracks that can be called "weak."

Oh wait:
Sad Wings
Sin After Sin
Stained Class
Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Painkiller

Six awesome/essential studio albums. Clearly this is a mediocre studio band we're talking about.

But I agree that they are awesome-er live. Sure, Rob didn't do straight falsetto all the way through "Painkiller," but he still pulled off an aggressive-as-hell performance, and I was pretty much blown away by the "PAIN... PAIN... KILLER... KILLER... PAIN... PAIN... KILLER... KILLEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!" with the insane reverb they added.

The problem with Priest's shows, however, is that they can't possibly fit in all the songs everyone wants to hear. Every era of their output has its fans, so they have to try to balance things. But wouldn't you get bored of playing the same song for 30 years? "Victim of Changes" is great, no doubt, but Halford's been doing it longer than many fans have been alive. At this point, if he wants to swap it out for "Dissident Aggressor," I can completely understand.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:48 pm 

Ribos wrote:
_Aargh wrote:
GTog wrote:

Not to mention Screaming For Vengeance, which has only like two tracks that can be called "weak."

Oh wait:
Sad Wings
Sin After Sin
Stained Class
Screaming For Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Painkiller

Six awesome/essential studio albums. Clearly this is a mediocre studio band we're talking about.

Whatever. Fanboy rantings aside, Screaming for Vengeance is the only album that's (mostly) solid all the way through. It's clearly their best effort, and that was 1982. Every other album, especially their first batch, are as I said: mediocre with a few good tracks. They're only Gold because they've been out for 30 years.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 pm 

Even "Ram It Down" was a great album and I still feel it is criminally under-rated.

I've been playing "Nostradamus" and there are a couple solid numbers on there. "Prophecy", "Death", "Pestilence And Plague", "Visions" and "Conquest" would work great in a live setting, I feel.

BaronBlitzkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:41 pm 

GTog wrote:
Whatever. Fanboy rantings aside, Screaming for Vengeance is the only album that's (mostly) solid all the way through. It's clearly their best effort, and that was 1982. Every other album, especially their first batch, are as I said: mediocre with a few good tracks. They're only Gold because they've been out for 30 years.

Leave the fucking hall.
It is scientifically proven that Sad Wings and Stained Class are perfectly consistent and groundbreaking. There's nothing on Screaming for Vengeance that hasn't been done better on Stained Class.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:52 pm 

I can actually listen to Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class, and Hell Bent for Leather (Killing Machine), without have to skip songs. To me, Judas Priest have something on the studio albums that can't be captured live, even though Unleashed in the East is one of the greatest live albums of all time.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 am 

truvelocity wrote:
Even "Ram It Down" was a great album and I still feel it is criminally under-rated.

Marry me! Wait, I mean I agree with you. 'Hard as Iron' is one of their greatest tracks ever, period. It NEEDS to be played live. And there was something about the production on that album that sounds unlike any other I've heard. In a good way.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:51 am 

ENKC wrote:
truvelocity wrote:

Marry me! Wait, I mean I agree with you. 'Hard as Iron' is one of their greatest tracks ever, period. It NEEDS to be played live. And there was something about the production on that album that sounds unlike any other I've heard. In a good way.

That album also gets points because it has the most homoerotic lyrics. Ram it Down and Hard as Iron are classics. I also like the cover of the big manly FIST, with its muscles rippling.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:34 am 

Ram It Down also has a kvlt as fuck solo

Thulsa_Doom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:00 pm 

Saw them last night and was a bit disapointed. The only 70s era tracks they played were Sinner and Dissident Aggressor, which were well done. But it almost felt like it was two different bands playing those songs and the band playing Breaking the Law, Another Thing Coming, etc.

Painkiller live fucking shreds :metal:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next