Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 pm 

As may be obvious, I do feel favorably towards this era of Bathory but I dislike the comparisons with the black metal period. He was writing music in quite different styles and it seems fruitless to compare them even though the styles sprang from the same mind. And for what it's worth, I'd say he wrote stunning music in both eras.

I agree with BardInTheForest's observation on Quorthon's massive contribution to metal.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:23 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
Are you another one of those pipsqueaks who sits on the internet acting like a tough guy but who can't defend yourself when confronted in a real fight?

Please, come and find out. I'd love that. :)

This is such a retarded argument because it can never be solved. Instead of claiming that the guy next to you is a fucking twat, give detailed reasons as to whether or not mid-Bathory is good.

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:41 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Grimmenfrost wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
The OP stated that fans of raw black metal and the like tend to not like Viking era Bathory but I myself am very much a fan of straight up and raw bm who actually prefers Hammerheart the most. I think that album is one of the best ever. But of course I like all Bathory's records prior to that one alot.

I can't find a single song that's boring on Hammerheart. Personally, I like the viking metal era Bathory greater than that of '84-'87. I often find myself, at times, getting somewhat bored and annoyed of hearing "Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn!" and end up putting on Blood Fire Death.

I think the weakest of the greater viking metal albums has to be the final sequel of Nordland II. Quorthon threw around some good ideas, but it's nothing we can't spot and listen to in the earlier albums.

I applaud my restraint, I just nearly punched my screen in. It's amazing what kind of faggotry is allowed on "metal" forums these days. "Equimanthorn" is one of THE metal songs of all times, and if it's too manly for you then fuck of and die.

Hey now, calm down; there wasn't any part in that whole paragraph that said I didn't like the song. When I listen to Bathory, or any other band for that matter, a certain mood is required for me to enjoy them to the fullest extend. When it comes to Bathory, you have the option of listening to traditional black metal in its purest aggression, or the somewhat less intense works spawned from Quorthon's later viking metal era. Personally, I prefer the later albums written after '87. They seem a bit more universal to an all-around metalhead than Bathory's first three albums, which were very fast and vicious. Depending on if your mood, whether it be cheerful, depressed, angry, or relaxed, musical preferences could vary at that specific time.

I'm not going to lie, I often rather listen to slower, melodic, and acoustic-induced metal. Hell it's even just as nice to listen to music other than metal at times of contemplation and repose. Now if that's too hard to understand, then you, my friend, can fuck off* and die.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:34 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:
Are you another one of those pipsqueaks who sits on the internet acting like a tough guy but who can't defend yourself when confronted in a real fight?

Please, come and find out. I'd love that. :)

No one will take your opinion into account, as long as you are behaving in the manner of an insolent tool.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:42 pm 

The ridiculousness of this thread has made me realize that I should get started on the Bathory discograohy ASAP.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:55 pm 

Hammerheart was the first Bathory album I ever heard and I loved it. To me the first six albums are essential releases and six of the greatest metal albums ever. Personally Blood Fire Death is my favorite album. The viking albums music was different but to me it was still great. I don't find Hammerheart boring. I love Twilight of the Gods, it's like classical music mixed with traditional metal and some minor folk elements. Blood on Ice was brilliant, great melodies and some really emotional vocals from Quorthon. I love both Nordland albums, though I can never decide which I like better. Anyway Quorthon was one of the greatest musicians of the genre and pioneered many elements that are still used in metal today.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:01 pm 

What does everyone here think of Bathory's very first album? I haven't seen too much discussion relative to that one.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:08 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
What does everyone here think of Bathory's very first album? I haven't seen too much discussion relative to that one.

There's not much to discuss. Everyone knows it's an essential, pretty much perfect album and one of the most important black metal albums ever.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:10 pm 

I love viking-era Bathory. His pre-Blood Fire Death albums are decent in my opinion, but it should be known that I don't really care for first-wave black metal much aside from Hellhammer/Celtic Frost.

Hammerheart is one of my all time favroite albums, and I love both Nordlands, Twilight of the Gods, Blood on Ice, and Blood Fire Death are all pretty good, but none of them really click with me in the way that the first three I mentioned in this paragraph do.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:28 pm 

Droneriot's attitude about this is pretty hilarious. It was okay for Quorthon to write and basically create a genre in the 80s, but it wasn't okay for him to do so in the 90s and by creating what was essentially a new genre of music he somehow became gay and completely despicable and anyone who appreciates it is too. No it's not completely aggressive or whatever else you think was so great about the earlier Bathory material, it was NEW and DIFFERENT and that wasn't the point of it at all. Maybe you missed that concept, although I'm sure theres some other band who likely jumped to another genre and you think it's just dandy.

It's not like Viking metal in fucking 1990 was the new big thing and every little 14 year old retarded fuck who listened to any metal at all had a Bathory or Skyclad shirt or something (like Finntroll or Turisas or something now). This was new and it expanded the genre and a decade later it became a new stupid fucking fad just like thrash is becoming/has become once again where every stupid asshole with a baseball cap can tip it up and write "THRASH" or "PIZZA" or "PARTY" on it get some white Nikes and think they're from the god damn 80s.

Your attitude makes no sense. If you don't like it fine, but nothing Quorthon did ruined your precious "metal culture."

Tronic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:48 pm 

I much preferred Quorthon's epic song writing. Blood Fire Death - Twilight of the Gods era Bathory is superior to the rest of his work IMO.

Not a major fan of the First Wave bands.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 pm 

Droneriot is God.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 pm 

Horned_Owl_Holocaust wrote:
Droneriot is God.

I would deify Quorthon as a God before any self-proclaimed pundit/reviewer extraordinaire any day. QUORTHON is God.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm 

I like most aspects of Bathory. I only own two albums, the Bathory S/T LP(yellow goat) and the Nordland cd that I got for free when I ordered my Nordland shirt from black mark. Both of these cds are incredible.

I also love Blood Fire Death, but for some reason I don't own this on any format aside from mp3.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:21 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
Horned_Owl_Holocaust wrote:
Droneriot is God.

I would deify Quorthon as a God before any self-proclaimed pundit/reviewer extraordinaire any day. QUORTHON is God.

Nothing but false idols. In this place there is but one true god and his name is Nightgaunt.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:24 am 

norilor wrote:
I like most aspects of Bathory. I only own two albums, the Bathory S/T LP(yellow goat) and the Nordland cd that I got for free when I ordered my Nordland shirt from black mark. Both of these cds are incredible.

I also love Blood Fire Death, but for some reason I don't own this on any format aside from mp3.

How much do you want for that yellow goat?

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:34 am 

I love Viking-era Bathory. And that includes all of it, especially Twilight, Blood on Ice and the Nordlands. They're not easy to get into but they're great albums.

I love a lot of black metal but any idiot calling latter-day Bathory gay annoys me beyond reason.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Leechmaster wrote:
I can't really compare their viking material era to their black metal era because I haven't heard any of their pre-Blood Fire Death material. I do plan to buy them in the future though.

Bathory is in your top 10 favorite bands, yet you haven't listened to the first 3?

That's correct

Anthelnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 am 

After reading through this read, I think it's quite obvious that a lot of posters are poseurs. However, some people are clearly awesome and I respect that. Now, although a lot of musical discussions are very much subjective, when it comes to Bathory, I think a very quantitative, scientifically measurable approach can be taken to evaluating the music. Let me explain:

1) Black metal era (everything up to Blood Fire Death) is approximately 100% awesome, and should be (SHOULD BE) worshipped on the same scale as Jesus.

2) Twilight of the Gods and Hammerheart deserve a similar level of praise as the aforementioned black metal era, however despite being awesome, the awesomeness is of a very different type, not quite as innovative. Awesome fucking acoustics.

3) Requiem is good, I quite like it. It's pretty fucking heavy at times, some good riffs, not so good vocals. Not exactly 100% awesomeness, but it's preferable to silence.

4) Nordland's have some good songs, Mother Earth Father Thunder is particularly awesome, Ring of Gold is alright.

In conclusion, RIP Quorthon (I actually had a vision, Quorthon made a band, they got signed by Satan. Cliff, Chuck and Euro, with Dead on vocals.)

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 am 

My opinion of Viking era Bathory is that I need to own it. All of it. Alas, I am poor and cannot yet afford any.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Jazqa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:45 am 

I really love bathory after blood fire death.

daemon_necromaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 am 

This thread sets a new benchmark for this esteemed forum.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 am 

EntilZha wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
EntilZha wrote:
"A Fine Day to Die" and "Blood Fire Death" have NOTHING to do with the gayness of his later albums. You should be burned at the stake.

Those songs are definitely not gay, but are certainly viking metal with a bit of traditional black metal still left in.

Be glad that I currently can't afford a plane ticket (and a crossbow). It gets more infuriating with each post.

Well, it looks like we'll never have to worry about that since you seem like too much of an imbecile to ever amass enough of a fortune to afford those items. Kindly execute yourself.

Bathory's best period is the viking period. I love all of the viking era albums, they each have their own style. The Nordland albums I find undeniably awesome and a cristallization of the heavy/viking metal concept. These albums are underrated on this board for some reason. Great, pounding, heavy sound/production, catchy yet very heavy riffs, great melodies, good singing on Quorthon's part and good lyrics. Very inspiring, larger than life music with an almost "epic" scope. It really is a shame that Quorthon died. Even if he got bored of the viking thing he would have made a change to something interesting.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:29 am 

I quite like both of Bathory's major eras. Nordland was a really epic piece, and I don't think you're allowed to be a metalhead if you don't love One Rode to Asa Bay.

Negru_Voda wrote:
Well, it looks like we'll never have to worry about that since you seem like too much of an imbecile to ever amass enough of a fortune to afford those items. Kindly execute yourself.

Really no point arguing with him, mate. He hates almost everything.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:44 am 

I think it's interesting that people are claiming that Quorthon started a new "genre of metal" when he re-invented Bathory after 1988. Why exactly do you believe this? It's pretty clear that what he was doing was his own tribute to bands like Manowar and Omen and their stomping, epic barbarian fare. Sure, he brought some of his own sound to the table, but to claim viking-era Bathory as something wholly original and a daring move into uncharted waters seems far in excess of the truth. What irks me most is that Quorthon, being something of an ass about such things, claims never to have listened to bands that clearly influenced him. "VOivod? Oh, never heard them before!".."Manowar? My drummer liked that band!" :lol:
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

grooveris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:09 pm 

Bathory was my first metal band and after long five years journey through various metal bands/albums I could state that bathory works are excellent and full of various emotions. Bathory's black metal albums are pure standard how old evil black metal should sound and what kind of message/feelings it should have. Also Viking metal albums are excellent too. Even maybe I enjoy them more than black ones. I would say that In Viking era's bathory mostly I like not that epic greatness, tales feelings, but some kind of sad, sorrowful side of music and particurlary of vocals.
I will second to the creator of this topic that Twilight of the gods is my favorite non black metal album too. Although every viking's bathory album is great (well, Destroyer seems to be a bit weakier).
As for requiem, I find this album as really great blackened oldschool thrash/death, back to the 80'.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:15 pm 

I love Twilight of the Gods and to a lesser extent Hammerheart. They are just great albums and my favorite Bathory in general. After Twilight of the Gods his catalog gets dicey. I think Requiem is decent, which is supposed to be one of his 'thrash' albums if his stuff can really be identified appropriately in any of these categories.

The first three albums are absolutely insane but not enjoyable in the same way Twilight is.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:17 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Well, I mean, if you don't like Viking metal in general it's obviously not really worth checking out for you. It is what it is.

But other than Bathory no one really needs to listen to any viking metal.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:33 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I think it's interesting that people are claiming that Quorthon started a new "genre of metal" when he re-invented Bathory after 1988. Why exactly do you believe this? It's pretty clear that what he was doing was his own tribute to bands like Manowar and Omen and their stomping, epic barbarian fare. Sure, he brought some of his own sound to the table, but to claim viking-era Bathory as something wholly original and a daring move into uncharted waters seems far in excess of the truth. What irks me most is that Quorthon, being something of an ass about such things, claims never to have listened to bands that clearly influenced him. "VOivod? Oh, never heard them before!".."Manowar? My drummer liked that band!" :lol:

:lol:

He actually did claim to enjoy Voivod later on in his career, after talking a lot of shit about them and Kreator, Destruction, Venom, and a shitload of other bands.

For me, the debut is the purest Bathory with the least influence from other bands... other than Motorhead. Quorthon was doing something unique on that album. Deep down though, I think Quorthon played Welcome to Hell 'til the grooves were ruined.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:36 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Deep down though, I think Quorthon played Welcome to Hell 'til the grooves were ruined.

"Welcome to Hell with the grooves ruined" is probably the best description of early Bathory I have heard.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:40 pm 

awm wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Deep down though, I think Quorthon played Welcome to Hell 'til the grooves were ruined.

"Welcome to Hell with the grooves ruined" is probably the best description of early Bathory I have heard.

sigged

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:45 pm 

Ok, first "Equimanthorn" is boring, then early Bathory is a Venom-clone. And I am being called an imbecile for freaking out about such ignorance. Something is very wrong in this thread.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:54 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Ok, first "Equimanthorn" is boring, then early Bathory is a Venom-clone. And I am being called an imbecile for freaking out about such ignorance. Something is very wrong in this thread.

It's okay to call him an idiot and prove it. But acting like an internet tuff guy and freaking out because SUMONE ON THE INTARNET IZ WWONRG is childish.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

It's okay to call him an idiot and prove it. But acting like an internet tuff guy and freaking out because SUMONE ON THE INTARNET IZ WWONRG is childish.

Why prove what Quorthon has already proven around 25 years ago? By the way, this is not the first time in this thread that you demand proof for something that has already been proven a hundred times in the past. Either you are 80 years old or you've just had a very weak mind by birth. By the way, rain is wet, did you know that?

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:36 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Why prove what Quorthon has already proven around 25 years ago? By the way, this is not the first time in this thread that you demand proof for something that has already been proven a hundred times in the past. Either you are 80 years old or you've just had a very weak mind by birth. By the way, rain is wet, did you know that?

I'm 80 years old.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:44 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

He actually did claim to enjoy Voivod later on in his career, after talking a lot of shit about them and Kreator, Destruction, Venom, and a shitload of other bands.

For me, the debut is the purest Bathory with the least influence from other bands... other than Motorhead. Quorthon was doing something unique on that album. Deep down though, I think Quorthon played Welcome to Hell 'til the grooves were ruined.

Oh, you know he did! Also with "Black Metal". The song titles on the first two albums just scream Venom .. not to mention that "Born for Burning" is basically a stripped-down "Don't Burn the Witch", and even about the same subject matter.

For me, "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" is his most original work. That one sure doesn't sound like Venom or Motorhead or Metallica or anyone else from before 1987.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

The song titles on the first two albums just scream Venom .. not to mention that "Born for Burning" is basically a stripped-down "Don't Burn the Witch", and even about the same subject matter.

But that's another thing. If he was wanting to hide the fact that he was influenced by Venom, why would he have the SAME songtitles as Venom. (Raise the Dead, Sacrifice.) Maybe just The Return was influenced by Venom, and the debut is purely Motorhead, Oi! Punk, Black Sabbath, and Kiss.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:54 pm 

I remember reading in an interview (I think it was the one on anus) where he talks about not really knowing about Venom yet, but GBH being a huge inspiration and a source of a lot of the speed/aggression in his music. An interesting theory, seems almost plausible. I don't really know how "big" GBH were at that time...

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:56 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I remember reading in an interview (I think it was the one on anus) where he talks about not really knowing about Venom yet, but GBH being a huge inspiration and a source of a lot of the speed/aggression in his music. An interesting theory, seems almost plausible. I don't really know how "big" GBH were at that time...

Bah, Quorthon was full of shit. I read similar things up until the time after he'd died .. he had just completed some stuff for the Bathory site in which he recounted the band's history and so on, insisting up until the last that he wasn't BLack Mark Boss's son, etc. It got to the point where I didn't believe a single thing he maintained in interviews.

Edit: I dont' think it was his intention in 1984 to hide the Venom influence, really .. maybe that was more an attitude of prevarication that came afterwards, when he was more willing to do some interviews and such. I think that back in the early 80s everybody linked Bathory's name with Venom's ... crazily, an oldschool fellow I used to know even went so far as to claim that Cronos helped Quorthon with the recording of his debut ... that's clearly a fallacy, but it's not as though we're the first people to point this sort of thing out. That said, Of course early Bathory wasn't just a Venom clone.

PenialTyrant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:09 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Bah, Quorthon was full of shit. I read similar things up until the time after he'd died .. he had just completed some stuff for the Bathory site in which he recounted the band's history and so on, insisting up until the last that he wasn't BLack Mark Boss's son, etc. It got to the point where I didn't believe a single thing he maintained in interviews.

Quorthon defied the axioms of the "scene". No presence, no posturizing, no participitation, no drama. Basically it was him and a drum machine.. and a whole bunch of stories that may or may not be true. Kinda weird that Bathory until the end was as much a mystery as it always was.

Hexagon - Old school death metal

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next