Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:28 pm 

A lot of people, mainly raw black metal fans are not fond of this era, or any era after 1988.

The era includes the slow songs on Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods, and the two Nordlands. I personally love this Bathory. Twilight of the Gods is my favorite non-black metal Bathory album, mainly for the fantastic acoustic guitars and epic out-of-tune vocals. In fact, I can't imagine anyone else singing on the viking albums. I'm not much of a fan of the Nordland albums, though.

I do prefer the first three albums over every other Bathory album, but these shouldn't be ignored.

EDIT: I forgot about Blood on Ice.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:30 pm 

"A Fine Day to Die" and "Blood Fire Death" have NOTHING to do with the gayness of his later albums. You should be burned at the stake.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
"A Fine Day to Die" and "Blood Fire Death" have NOTHING to do with the gayness of his later albums. You should be burned at the stake.

Those songs are definitely not gay, but are certainly viking metal with a bit of traditional black metal still left in.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm 

Personally, I think the only Bathory albums that don't deserve straight up worship are Requiem, Octagon and Destroyer of Worlds (which is decent). I don't care if it's thrash, black metal, viking metal or what, Quorthon did more for metal than any single musician and not only did he innovate new sounds, ideas, and genres, he did it in a way that no one would ever be able to top after that (particularly the Viking metal era) because it was the epitome of everything the genre could ever be. Venom, who were certainly innovators and highly influential, could never do anything like that.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Those songs are definitely not gay, but are certainly viking metal with a bit of traditional black metal still left in.

Be glad that I currently can't afford a plane ticket (and a crossbow). It gets more infuriating with each post.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 pm 

I'll be honest and say that I've never bothered to listen to any post-88' Bathory. I just chalk it up to my general aversion to the idea of viking/boring metal.

Well, okay, I have heard a bit of "One Road To Asa Bay". it was as boring/viking as I had expected it to be.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:42 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Be glad that I currently can't afford a plane ticket (and a crossbow). It gets more infuriating with each post.

Be glad that I cannot reach through the computer screen and backhand you for being angry about what he said.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:45 pm 

Well, I mean, if you don't like Viking metal in general it's obviously not really worth checking out for you. It is what it is.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:46 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

Can you at least tell me why? Am I wrong about it being at least a LITTLE bit viking metal?

^^^ Yeah, Hammerheart is quite a snore fest at some points. TotG is basically Hammerheart with Quorthon improving on everything.

Mieresch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:47 pm 

It is good stuff, Sounds to my folk seeking epic stuff loving ears. It's good but i find it boring sometimes.

kris_dobo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:48 pm 

Personally i think the viking era is much better than the black metal era Bathory. Don't get me wrong, the first three albums are great but Hammerheart and Blood, Fire, Death (although i think that release is more black metal) are amazing. I also love Blood on Ice. I don't know what it is about it but songs like The Lake and Gods Of Thunder, Of Wind And Of Rain just kick my ass. Truly an underrated release.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:48 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Well, I mean, if you don't like Viking metal in general it's obviously not really worth checking out for you. It is what it is.

I don't like Viking metal in general but enjoy Bathory. Mainly because it's Manowar music with less professional vocals.

PenialTyrant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:52 pm 

A fine day to die, Blood fire death and For all those who died are great songs. Superb metal, viking or not. "Battle metal", perhaps.

Hammeheart and TotG have their moments, but are generally too few ideas spread over too much playing time. Blood on Ice is much more focused imo, everything stripped down to essential riffs and catchy melodies.

Haven't heard the Nordlands, can't comment on them.

Hexagon - Old school death metal

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:00 pm 

The OP stated that fans of raw black metal and the like tend to not like Viking era Bathory but I myself am very much a fan of straight up and raw bm who actually prefers Hammerheart the most. I think that album is one of the best ever. But of course I like all Bathory's records prior to that one alot.

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:01 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
Personally, I think the only Bathory albums that don't deserve straight up worship are Requiem, Octagon and Destroyer of Worlds (which is decent).

Indeed, although I have to say "Blood Fire Death" and "Hammerheart" are his best.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:04 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
EntilZha wrote:

What do you mean, "viking metal"? They're just more epic than the rest of the album, that's all. As for "Hammerheart" et al, they're clearly heavy metal in a rather American vein. I enjoy a couple of the songs on "Hammerheart" but it's a pretty poor album. "Twilight of the Gods" is different though .. more serious, original and brooding, and the title track rules, as does the ridiculously catchy "Under the Runes". "Blood on Ice" was my introduction to Bathory and I guess I still have a bit of a soft spot for that one .. definitely some of Quorthon's best vocal arrangements there. "The Lake" blew my mind when I first heard it .. I'd never heard huge choir-like arrangements in any kind of heavy music before that time and I was just floored.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:12 pm 

Viking Metal Bathory is what other Viking Metal bands strive to be.

Blood Fire Death and A Fine Day to Die are my two favorite Bathory songs. the Emperor cover of A Fine Day to Die is even better.

Last edited by Eurnonymous on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:14 pm 

I thought we all agreed years ago that The Return is the best Bathory album?

Now people like Eurononomymous are saying Blood Fire Death?

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:14 pm 

I love Blood, Fire, Death and Hammerheart, but i haven't heard anything after those albums.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Eurononomymous

i should change my name to this.

and you were the one who wanted people to talk about the Viking Bathory!

i still stand by my claim that none of the black metal Bathory can touch a song like A Fine Day to Die, or Blood Fire Death. those songs do still have a touch of black metal to them, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS. i will use my supernecro powers to resurrect Quorthon if i need to, so he can agree with me in this discussion.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:21 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
I thought we all agreed years ago that The Return is the best Bathory album?

Now people like Eurononomymous are saying Blood Fire Death?

The Return is a great album. It seems to be the median for all Bathory fans as a great one but not the unanimous album of praise above all others.

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 pm 

I can't really compare their viking material era to their black metal era because I haven't heard any of their pre-Blood Fire Death material. I do plan to buy them in the future though.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:28 pm 

just listen to those horses neigh in A Fine Day to Die. tell me that isn't the sound of triumph!

Grimmenfrost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:32 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
The OP stated that fans of raw black metal and the like tend to not like Viking era Bathory but I myself am very much a fan of straight up and raw bm who actually prefers Hammerheart the most. I think that album is one of the best ever. But of course I like all Bathory's records prior to that one alot.

I can't find a single song that's boring on Hammerheart. Personally, I like the viking metal era Bathory greater than that of '84-'87. I often find myself, at times, getting somewhat bored and annoyed of hearing "Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn!" and end up putting on Blood Fire Death.

I think the weakest of the greater viking metal albums has to be the final sequel of Nordland II. Quorthon threw around some good ideas, but it's nothing we can't spot and listen to in the earlier albums.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 pm 

Leechmaster wrote:
I can't really compare their viking material era to their black metal era because I haven't heard any of their pre-Blood Fire Death material. I do plan to buy them in the future though.

Bathory is in your top 10 favorite bands, yet you haven't listened to the first 3?

PenialTyrant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:45 pm 

BFD is the best album.
Most mature speed/black tracks; Holocaust, Dies Irae
Strong, strong epic tracks.

No filler material as on the previous three or following albums.

Hexagon - Old school death metal

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:46 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:

I disagree. I've never though post-BFD Bathory as "viking metal". It's just epic as hell heavy/doom metal to me. It took me years to get into Hammerheart, but now I like it and Blood on Ice a lot. I actually think Quorthon's vocals on those albums are great, especially on Hammerheart. Maybe it's just because he's not a "technically" good singer, but his vocals are filled with such passion that it's just impossible for me to not like them.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:47 pm 

Blood, Fire, Death and Hammerheart fucking rule, Shores I Flames is still one of my favourite Bathory songs, a crushing song to begin an album, the calm before the storm, then closely followed by Nordland I and Blood on Ice, in this order is how I would rate them from best, I could not connect with Twilight for some strange reason, good album, but not as good as the four I just mentioned imo.

Last edited by STORMM on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:50 pm 

The spoken part on One Eyed Old Man is pretty funny. The rest of the album is pretty good, but I think the vocals are kind of weak compared to that of Hammerheart and Twilight.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm 

Grimmenfrost wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

I can't find a single song that's boring on Hammerheart. Personally, I like the viking metal era Bathory greater than that of '84-'87. I often find myself, at times, getting somewhat bored and annoyed of hearing "Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn, Equimanthorn!" and end up putting on Blood Fire Death.

I think the weakest of the greater viking metal albums has to be the final sequel of Nordland II. Quorthon threw around some good ideas, but it's nothing we can't spot and listen to in the earlier albums.

I applaud my restraint, I just nearly punched my screen in. It's amazing what kind of faggotry is allowed on "metal" forums these days. "Equimanthorn" is one of THE metal songs of all times, and if it's too manly for you then fuck of and die.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:53 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Grimmenfrost wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

I applaud my restraint, I just nearly punched my screen in. It's amazing what kind of faggotry is allowed on "metal" forums these days. "Equimanthorn" is one of THE metal songs of all times, and if it's too manly for you then fuck of and die.

While I love that song as you do, there is such a thing as differing opinions.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:53 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
"Equimanthorn" is one of THE metal songs of all times, and if it's too manly for you then fuck of and die.

Now THIS, I can agree with.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:55 pm 

*off

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:00 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

That kind of attitude is the origin of all gayness infesting the metal scene. Not that any of you short-haired egalitarians would understand, but we have a culture to preserve here. Basically what you are doing is comparable to you being a native American, and when another native American says "Hey, let's all put on wifebeaters, watch pro-wrestling and go to church on sundays", you just say "well, he's entitled to his opinion!" Fuck that kind of attitude. We have the western world's richest subculture here, stop trying to screw it up with your egalitarian crap.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:02 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
I applaud my restraint, I just nearly punched my screen in. It's amazing what kind of faggotry is allowed on "metal" forums these days.

Dude, get your blood pressure checked.

On-topic, I like Bathory's epic era, though I believe that bands like Falkenbach, early Blut Aus Nord, and Moonsorrow have progressed the style. I liked the Nordland albums, but it seemed like bands that were influenced by Bathory had stolen some of Quorthon's thunder by that point.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:03 pm 

samekh wrote:
Dude, get your blood pressure checked.

Dude, read the thread title.

This is Bathory we're talking about here.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:10 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

That kind of attitude is the origin of all gayness infesting the metal scene. Not that any of you short-haired egalitarians would understand, but we have a culture to preserve here. Basically what you are doing is comparable to you being a native American, and when another native American says "Hey, let's all put on wifebeaters, watch pro-wrestling and go to church on sundays", you just say "well, he's entitled to his opinion!" Fuck that kind of attitude. We have the western world's richest subculture here, stop trying to screw it up with your egalitarian crap.

Are you another one of those pipsqueaks who sits on the internet acting like a tough guy but who can't defend yourself when confronted in a real fight?

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:11 pm 

samekh wrote:
On-topic, I like Bathory's epic era, though I believe that bands like Falkenbach, early Blut Aus Nord, and Moonsorrow have progressed the style.

I hear nothing in common with Bathory and those bands.

marktheviktor wrote:
Are you another one of those pipsqueaks who sits on the internet acting like a tough guy but who can't defend yourself when confronted in a real fight?

What does that have to do with anything?

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:12 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:

Please, come and find out. I'd love that. :)

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:14 pm 

_Aargh wrote:
samekh wrote:
On-topic, I like Bathory's epic era, though I believe that bands like Falkenbach, early Blut Aus Nord, and Moonsorrow have progressed the style.

I hear nothing in common with Bathory and those bands.

marktheviktor wrote:

What does that have to do with anything?

Because of the response post he gave when we were talking about Bathory in disagreement with Grimmenfrost.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next