Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ManofWar55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:45 pm 

Hey everyone, I have been doing some looking for concerts in Pittsburgh, and only found one concert I may go and see, and it's Opeth and Enslaved.

Are there any other metal concerts coming? I know about The Haunted, but i'm not a huge fan of them.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 pm 

ManofWar55 wrote:
Hey everyone, I have been doing some looking for concerts in Pittsburgh, and only found one concert I may go and see, and it's Opeth and Enslaved.

Are there any other metal concerts coming? I know about The Haunted, but i'm not a huge fan of them.

Metal concerts out here in the 'Burgh are few and far between, to be honest. We're one of those American cities that are in the middle: On one end, we're not a small city, but at the same time we're not exactly well known for our entertainment industry. As I'm sure you've noticed, virtually all metal bands that play in PA play in Philly, which doesn't help since it's over 5 hours away.

I thought about the Opeth/Enslaved one too, it could be good even though I'm not really an Opeth fan. Exodus is playing on April 4th, I'm not sure if that'd be up your alley though.

Edit: Awe damnit, I forgot they were playing on the 5th of May. That's right smack in the middle of finals week.

BardInTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm 

If I were in Pittsburgh and was looking for metal shows (particularly bands on tour), I'd look to Cleveland.... that's what I have to do anyways.

It's not exactly close but it's better than going to Philly. Every once in a while Pittsburgh gets some good stuff but not nearly as often and it's usually stuff on the same level as Opeth, Dragonforce, etc.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:
If I were in Pittsburgh and was looking for metal shows (particularly bands on tour), I'd look to Cleveland.... that's what I have to do anyways.

It's not exactly close but it's better than going to Philly. Every once in a while Pittsburgh gets some good stuff but not nearly as often and it's usually stuff on the same level as Opeth, Dragonforce, etc.

Which is pretty fucking odd, I've got to say. Having been to Cleveland more than I care to go, I can't find a single redeeming factor as to why so many bands play there and not here. Perhaps the rock and roll hall of fame? But that's silly; I don't know, perhaps I'm just bitter.

Anyway, a couple hours isn't bad, really, but it's not our city.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 pm 

I live in western pa (Latrobe), and while I was researching places that book metal bands, these are the ones I found in Pittsburgh...

Rex Theater - 1602 East Carson St. Pittsburgh, PA 15203 - 412-381-6811
Mr. Smalls Funhouse - 400 Lincoln Ave. Millvale, PA 15209 - 412-821-4447
Games N-At - 2010 Josephine St. Pittsburgh, PA 15203 - 412-481-2002
The Smiling Moose - 1306 E Carson St. Pittsburgh, PA 15203 - 412-431-4668
Rookies Bar - 3619 Brownsville Road, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15210 - 412-881-9644

I have others further out (Johnstown, etc.) if you want those as well.

Last edited by Erdrickgr on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:34 pm 

Khull wrote:
We're one of those American cities that are in the middle: On one end, we're not a small city, but at the same time we're not exactly well known for our entertainment industry.

you guys have a pro baseball team and a Super Bowl winning NFL team. even an NHL team

spectreofdeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:51 pm 

BardInTheForest wrote:

Pittsburgh is more of a punk town and Cleveland is more of a metal town.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:54 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:
Khull wrote:
We're one of those American cities that are in the middle: On one end, we're not a small city, but at the same time we're not exactly well known for our entertainment industry.

you guys have a pro baseball team and a Super Bowl winning NFL team. even an NHL team

For sure we shine in the sports department, but when it comes to other forms of entertainment, such as music, performing arts, film, etc, we're bottom of the barrel.

I mean really, we're considered Northeast US, which means we compete with New York; which in itself puts you at a steep disadvantage. However, you've also got Philly, Baltimore, and Hartford, all significantly more lucrative cities to book shows at.

We also boarder the Midwest as well, which proves to be in our favor more often than not. As mentioned, Cleveland sees a lot of bookings, as does Chicago and Lousville.

Geographically it's a rather inconvenient area for these kinds of things. I mean, I'm thankful I'm not living in Montana or Wyoming for sure, but this is by no means a hive of metal activity.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:23 am 

Tyr & Alestorm 3/26/09 Pittsburgh, PA @ 31st St Pub

That's all I know of.

I think Exodus was just here too.

ManofWar55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 pm 

Well thanks everyone. I'll have to check out those venues someone sent me!! I didn't know about Tyr and Alestorm. I was actually planning on seeing them in Cleveland!!! I too don't understand why bands play in Cleveland instead on Pittsburgh. No offense to any Clevelanders out there, but when I went there the city seemed kinda dirty.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:12 pm 

For whatever reason that Tyr and Alestorm date is not on pollstar.com but it is on the Tyr website.

If you hear about any more metal concerts in Pittsburgh please post them. They are few and far between at times.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm 

Here's all I could find

Feb-18 20:00 @Rex Theatre - Soilwork, Warbringer, Swallow the Sun
Mar-12 20:00 @The Smiling Moose - Sol Asunder, Embryonic Devourment, Lecherous Nocturne
Mar-14 18:00 @Diesel - Bleeding Through
Apr-04 20:00 @Rex Theatre - Warbringer, As Fate Burns, Crown the Lost

Yikes, not lookin good for us Pittsburghers. Although, when is the Opeth/Enslaved show?

TheDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 pm 

Do not fear fellow Pittsburghers for Suffocation is playing here in a few months. To the guy from Latrobe, I may know you because I am from Mount Pleasant.

TheDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:30 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:
Khull wrote:

That we do and it helps me keep my sanity.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:52 am 

No riffs in Pittsburgh. :(

Knight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:34 pm 

Hey Pittsburgh people. I too am looking for metal shows in the region, and yeah, there ain't much.

Also, apparently the Tyr/Alestorm show also has Suidakra. I'm looking forward to that show.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:35 pm 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
Here's all I could find

Feb-18 20:00 @Rex Theatre - Soilwork, Warbringer, Swallow the Sun
Mar-12 20:00 @The Smiling Moose - Sol Asunder, Embryonic Devourment, Lecherous Nocturne
Mar-14 18:00 @Diesel - Bleeding Through
Apr-04 20:00 @Rex Theatre - Warbringer, As Fate Burns, Crown the Lost

Yikes, not lookin good for us Pittsburghers. Although, when is the Opeth/Enslaved show?

I am not crazy about any of these. But if that Warbringer show is all thrash I'd consider going.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm 

The Twilight of the Thundergod Tour (Amon Amarth, Goatwhore, Skeletonwitch, Lazarus A.D.) will be coming to Pittsburgh on 23 April. I might show up to this one with a few friends as opposed to the Cleveland date just because the Pittsburgh date isn't on an inconvenient night like a Tuesday night.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:23 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
The Twilight of the Thundergod Tour (Amon Amarth, Goatwhore, Skeletonwitch, Lazarus A.D.) will be coming to Pittsburgh on 23 April. I might show up to this one with a few friends as opposed to the Cleveland date just because the Pittsburgh date isn't on an inconvenient night like a Tuesday night.

Now that sounds like a show worth attending. 20 bucks per ticket makes it 5 cheaper than the Opeth/Enslaved show two weeks later, and with better bands to boot!

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 pm 

Yeah I'll go to that.

I have recently gotten into Skeletonwitch and used to be pretty big on some of the Goatwhore albums.

What' s Lazarus AD sound like?

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:57 pm 

Apr 23 is Thursday. That's not much better

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:37 pm 

awm wrote:
Apr 23 is Thursday. That's not much better

I dunno, I'm pretty fortunate on Thursdays / Fridays. Between the two I only have two classes, although I'd have to miss Thursdays. Still, I don't imagine missing a single class is going to cause much conflict :).

Knight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:35 pm 

That is good news. Will certainly be at that show. I know not everyone likes Amon Amarth but I've been impressed with their newest work.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:02 pm 

I don't dislike Amon Amarth but I am not interested in them.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:37 pm 

awm wrote:
Tyr & Alestorm 3/26/09 Pittsburgh, PA @ 31st St Pub

That's all I know of.

I think Exodus was just here too.

Yeah, with Warbringer I think in October, or was that Overkill? Either way I was mad I couldn't go.

alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 pm 

See I always feel like you guys get more shows than eastern PA. I guess the grass is always greener...

vigilius_haufniensis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 am 

For venues in the Burgh... Add 31st St. Pub to that list. I also remember seeing Sathanas (awesome old school death/thrash) play at a bar in their hometown of New Brighton, PA a couple years ago. If you want to talk about SUCKS for metal, that would be where I am now: West Lafayette/Lafayette IN area. There is one bar (Jerree Lee's) that books some decent local talent every once in awhile, but forget any big names. Of course, Indy is only an hour away; but I really have no idea about what goes on down there.

ManofWar55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:03 pm 

I'm definitley going to see Amon Amarth, I was psyched to hear about it!! I really want to see Tyr and Alestorm, but sadly I'm not 21. Well, I think I'm going to Cleveland to see them anyway!!! Thanks guys, and if you here anything about anymore concerts, keep us posted!!!

Keep metal in the Steel City!!! :hail:

TheDave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:29 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:

I will be in attendance.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.