Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 pm 

Taken from his myspace:

Quote:
s the Metal Scene Close Minded????

Well, is it????
My purpose with this blog is that I have a desire to create some live performance concerts sometime in the future that include a set of Morbid Angel along with sets of the most extreme representitives of Industrial, Hardcore, Terrorcore, Jungle Drum and Bass etc DJs and Groups.
EXTREME MUSIC FOR EXTREME PEOPLE!!!!
right???
Well, so it seems there are certain promoters and so called "authorities of the scene" who have some idea that such a gig wont work. Saying that metal people are narrowminded and hate the various forms of Hardcore DJ Music for one reason or another. Is this true???
People who know me know I am already a freaky freak artist and so then such an idea for crossing over such types of music is amazing,. Exciting!!!
As long as its freakin HARD HITTING and SICK!!!!!!
So......., Why not I ask.
What is Metal anyways???
For me "metal" is for those who are bored with the constrictions and "safe practices" of the mainsteam mentality, just like with any other so called "underground" scene or movement. Metal people wanna get mowed down by vicously sick melodies slamming over an arrangement of beats that twist the body and pull it in all directions. Freak them up. Metal for me is also about self discovery. Not being sheep-like and playing "follow the leader" but rather its about being free to express one's own ideas without the fear of ridicual. If there isnt any guts involved to challenge whatever is the current accepted patterns then there isnt much in possibility for any new things to arise.
What are metal lyrics even about if not about either breaking free from the dominion of some slavery-oppression, or the act of rejoicing in the pleasure of what people have passions about? Of course there are also lyrics about fantasy and mind fuck as well too. !!!=RAWR=!!! ;)
For me it most certainly ISN'T about tribal-group mentality nor mainstream behavioral thinking. Its not about playing it safe either.
What is the mentality of the mainstream???
Seems to me it's quite associated with sheepish behavoirs, placing value on "fitting in and the approval of others" instead of the freedoms of self expression.
What defines the term "underground"???
Isnt it when people place what they believe inside of themselves over what is supposedly supported in their exterior mainstream environment???
What is the difference in fabricating a product and creating art????
Where does "trendy-ness" surface and what is it to be trendy??
Isnt it when people cannot find the source of certainties, direction and/or self worth within themselves, specially as in those times when they are alone and not distracted, so therefore they need to base their certainties on how things reflect off of their external environment including their peers?? Adjusting themselves to be considered favorable and to attract the approval of others outside of themselves???
For some people in the world the only thing "real" is that which can be measured by the 5 mundane senses. For them the inner workings are as some mysterious make believe which they sometimes play around with until any serious situation arises and then such things are placed back in the realm of "make believe", they of course fall back to earth and work from whichever foundation they find "certainty" in, no???
Isnt this a formula based on the dependence of others and if so what does this have to do with the freedoms of such a thing as independence???
Where is the "strength" in such a behavoir???
Is it just that maybe its considered "cool "and thats cool enough???
Ok, so the question is, do Metal People only enjoy gigs with a Metal Only Billing???
or
Do Metal People also enjoy some crossover as long as its freakin over the top EXTREME????
Does anyone even care??? Please chime in.
I wanna hear from you, w00p ;)
Trey

Would you go to a show like that? Il would be surely interesting and atypical. Will we have some techno-Morbid Angel song (already done by Aborym in black metal, I don't know about death metal)? What do you think?

Horvat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:00 pm 

He raises some good points, though he needs to organize his thoughts better before writing them down.

Edit: and yes, I would definitely go to a show like that.

Morbid89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:03 pm 

A show like that would be really interesting I'd definitely go if there was one near here. Trey should check out Ted Maul as well, death metal + drum'n'bass, awesome shit :D

TheMancubus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 am 

Wow. People on here are a lot mroe positive thatn they were on Metal Sucks and Blabbermouth.

Anyway, I'd totally be there. M1dy is a lot more brutal than most metal anyway.

thomash
Metal Philosopher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 am 

All hail Trey Azagthoth! I would definitely be up for that sort of show. I'm always interested in discovering new music, metal or not. If it's good, that's all that matters.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:27 am 

Help, Trey Azagthoth types like a 14 year old

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 am 

failsafeman wrote:

Which means he could probably give typing lessons to Glen Benton.

On topic, I'd probably like to hear this type of thing. I'm not crazy about electronic music, but when it's done in a serious manner I can get into it.

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:53 am 

TheMancubus wrote:
Wow. People on here are a lot mroe positive thatn they were on Metal Sucks and Blabbermouth.

I thought this place was supposed to be closed-minded elitist central

spoonhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:53 am 

Id go.

Anything withdrawn from the mainstream is worth checking out purely for interests sake. Obscure subculture is fun to explore even if it doesn't match your tastes exactly. Besides I already like obscure styls of electronica such as dubstep anyway.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 am 

Ten Internet Dollars says that he's just trying to justify Morbid Angel's upcoming techno album.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:50 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Ten Internet Dollars says that he's just trying to justify Morbid Angel's upcoming techno album.

"The new album is a return to our old-school roots, bro. Track 10 features a guest appearance by Tricky"

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:56 am 

I was kidding around man. :lol:

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they did, Trey and co. have been touting hardcore electronic music quite a bit lately.

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:16 am 

failsafeman wrote:

This. It pained me to read through it.

Quote:

Haha. Yes.

In all seriousness though, I agree with what he's saying for the most part, though I don't listen to much electronic stuff.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 am 

I dare Trey to take this line-up out on tour. (no, none of it is techno, but it would be a total mind-fuck live):

Radiohead
Sparks
Deltron 3030
Mr. Bungle
Immolation

The_Beholder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:40 am 

spoonhead wrote:
Obscure subculture is fun to explore even if it doesn't match your tastes exactly.
:thumbsup:

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:40 am 

Although it's a rather poorly written and silly rant, I'd probably go to an event that has distorted techno and metal. Nevertheless, a band that's the calibre of Morbid Angel would have to get used to the idea that they'd draw crowds of 100 instead of 1'000 - 10'000. There's rather little cross-genre overlapping in that direction, and a lot of prejudice on both sides (having seen both realms, a lot of that is warranted IMO, but that's something for another topic).

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:10 am 

I personally would not go to such a show but I applaud such an idea. If done correctly this could make for a great show and generally make a lot of sense. In my case I just don't like that sort of music and probably never will.

Shutdown
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:51 am 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
TheMancubus wrote:

Shows just how far this place has sunk. Sad, sad times.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 am 

I'd take extreme electronica over the random metalcore act that generally gets thrown onto every goddamn metal tour.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:01 pm 

Lepernicus wrote:
I dare Trey to take this line-up out on tour. (no, none of it is techno, but it would be a total mind-fuck live):

Radiohead
Sparks
Deltron 3030
Mr. Bungle
Immolation

Radiohead to bore the shit out of people first?

I think this idea is interesting but i just dont like overly keyboardy music nor clearly artificial drum sound. Terrorcore is mostly having the same annoying keyboard melody over constant bass aswell.

If he finds some artists which arent like this then i would be interested to go.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 pm 

Cheeses_Priced wrote:
TheMancubus wrote:

It's really not at all. Take a quick look around and see everyone claiming their love for Static-X, Rammstein and Korn. There are a few "pretend" elitists here but they are just as guilty of listening to the same shit that all of us like to deem trash one moment and then secretly listen to the next.

Shutdown wrote:

It's always been like that (what I wrote above).

Veddartha
Apocalyptic Destroyer of Angels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:20 pm 

Shutdown wrote:
Cheeses_Priced wrote:
TheMancubus wrote:

What? You want to go back to 2004 when everybody bashed Moonblood for being too comercial?

Count_Venereal wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:
WASP on the Supreme Court right now!

I will vote for whoever makes this happen.

alcholocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:20 pm 

It would be like seeing a Passenger Of Shit show, except this is serious.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:29 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

:lol: That's the first thing I thought of as well.

I doubt I'd be into much of this electronic stuff, but I know a lot of people who are, and many of them call themselves metalheads, so I don't see why this would be a difficulty for him to pull off.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 pm 

This part cracked me up:

"Not being sheep-like and playing "follow the leader" but rather its about being free to express one's own ideas without the fear of ridicual."

--Yes, please...make crappy music. No one will "ridicule" you. That's what metal is all about. Making whatever music you want without fear of criticism. LOL.

I like how he threw the word extreme around about 10 times. Just to let you guys know that this is going to be some "sick" shit. It justifies him in doing it because it's eXtreme!!!1111

I'm not immediately dismissing it as crappy but it's certainly not something I'd want to see if I was expecting a metal concert.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:45 pm 

Quote:

Well, is it????
My purpose with this blog is that I have a desire to create some live performance concerts sometime in the future that include a set of Morbid Angel along with sets of the most extreme representitives of Industrial, Hardcore, Terrorcore, Jungle Drum and Bass etc DJs and Groups.
right???

From reading this im sure he would be referring to artists would be similar to something like Centaspike:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =116614089
(Check out Fearing Fear)

I listen to a lot of hardcore Ragga-Jungle/DnB/Breakcore/Speedcore/etc and its the only electronic music i can enjoy. I love the particularly fast/dark/distorted/disjointed sounding artists the most, and the good ones really can leave you feeling with a similar impact of heaviness that an extreme metal band can leave you with. Ive also listened to a lot of mixes by DJ's that have tracks from bands like Morbid Angel, Deicide, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse + loads more Classic Death Metal and more bands, and those some of the mixes are fucking awesome.

Even tho some people here have been positive towards the idea, I don't think the majority of Morbid Angel fans would be entirely enthrawled by the idea too much, and like mentioned earlier wouldn't draw the crowds. Which if it did eventuate, would hopefully mean a smaller venue and make a more personal Morbid Angel show for the fans that are truely interested in it. I would just generalize the majority of Morbid Angel fans being primarily and mostly 'Metal' fans, who would probably look on including Industrial, Hardcore, Terrorcore, Jungle Drum and Bass artists as some form of 'sellout'.

Ive been to grindcore/noise shows that have included extreme jungle/dnb artists:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=98972016

And they have been fucking awesome. But then again, when your going to see bands, that they either have a drum machine or the majority of the set is improv, the crowd are probably are going to be a lot more open to 'interperative heaviness' as opposed to people who primarily only listen to death metal bands.

wigglygore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 pm 

double post

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:13 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
I was kidding around man. :lol:

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they did, Trey and co. have been touting hardcore electronic music quite a bit lately.

Hey, if they pulled it off... I'd still buy it. If the man who brought us Blessed Are The Sick wants to do hardcore electronic music, I doubt it'll suck much, if at all. Industrial Death Metal that's actually industrial death metal and not a code name for mallcore? I'd take it.

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:46 pm 

I'd hit that SO HARD

Cheeses_Priced
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:58 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Cheeses_Priced wrote:

It's really not at all. Take a quick look around and see everyone claiming their love for Static-X, Rammstein and Korn. There are a few "pretend" elitists here but they are just as guilty of listening to the same shit that all of us like to deem trash one moment and then secretly listen to the next.

Yeah, I know. It's just kind of funny that the reputation seems to be so at odds with reality. Makes you wonder how people arrive at their conclusions.

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 pm 

There is a bit of Dark Psytrance that puts a lot of metal to shame when it comes to the "this is scary" factor.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:45 pm 

wigglygore wrote:
Quote:

Well, is it????
right???

From reading this im sure he would be referring to artists would be similar to something like Centaspike:

(Check out Fearing Fear)

I would think he means something more along the lines of hardcore gabber:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d9bF3141Ng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLFnqpM3JBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTehEfX ... re=related
hope you have high quality speakers

Last edited by Hjorlejf on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0kill
Patron Saint of Burglary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 pm 

What the heck is terrorcore?

- John Calvin.

Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 pm 

0kill wrote:
What the heck is terrorcore?

It's a form of gabber, though of the heavier, scarier, less melodic variety. A lot of terrorcore and speedcore walk all over metal in terms of being frightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31-ouS9ykU

Last edited by Hjorlejf on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 pm 

Hjorlejf wrote:
wigglygore wrote:
Quote:

Well, is it????
right???

(Check out Fearing Fear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-_scO0Apn0

I'd probably like this if it wasn't for the wiggerdom and hip-hop culture.

Hjorlejf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:41 pm 

Nolan_B wrote:
Hjorlejf wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-_scO0Apn0

I'd probably like this if it wasn't for the wiggerdom and hip-hop culture.

The Dutch rave scene isn't REALLY "wiggerdom" or "hip-hop" culture

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:41 pm 

circleofdestruction wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

This. It pained me to read through it.

Guitar skill precedes typing abilities.

annefrank
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:57 pm 

Kutulu
Tzeentchian Rubric Manipulator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:33 am 

ogmetal wrote:
--Yes, please...make crappy music. No one will "ridicule" you. That's what metal is all about. Making whatever music you want without fear of criticism. LOL.
I like how he threw the word extreme around about 10 times. Just to let you guys know that this is going to be some "sick" shit. It justifies him in doing it because it's eXtreme!!!1111
You must take into consideration that Trey still wears tight black denim pants and high top white sneakers.

Also, anyone who heard Domination knows the kind of things Trey takes inspiration from, this isn't surprising at all. I wouldn't really mind if Morbid Angel did make a more electronic album, but than again, I liked Heretic.

Alocer7138r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:39 am 

wtf?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next